PDA

View Full Version : The Curse of Doug Flutie

RedEyE
10-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Article is from last year but this is an excellent read. It's soooo obvious that Flutie cursed both Wade Phillips and Ralph Wilson. ;)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/kerry_byrne/11/16/wade.phillips/index.html

RedEyE
10-10-2012, 02:01 PM
The History of the Curse<o:p></o:p>
The misfortunes of the Bills since Phillips benched Flutie in 1999and the likely misfortunes of the Texans here in 2011 are merely the bookendsof the Curse.<o:p></o:p>
The Curse of Flutie has followed Phillips from job to job,haunting each franchise that makes the mistake of hiring him. You might thinkthe Curse of Flutie would have been broken when the Bills fired Phillips afterthe 2000 season.<o:p></o:p>
But the Curse of Flutie is not so easily satisfied.<o:p></o:p>
It continues to plague the Bills and it lingers with anyorganization that hires Phillips, even long after he's gone.<o:p></o:p>
Here's the Phillips career timeline since he foolishly unleashedthe Curse of Flutie upon Planet Pigskin in 1999:<o:p></o:p>
• Defensive coordinator in Atlanta (2002-03)<o:p></o:p>
• Defensive coordinator in San Diego (2004-06)<o:p></o:p>
• Head coach in Dallas (2007-10)<o:p></o:p>
• Defensive coordinator in Houston (2011)<o:p></o:p>
All four organizations have been defined by high hopes followed bymiserable and unexpected failure -- the two signatures of the Curse of Flutie.<o:p></o:p>
For example: Since hiring Phillips, the Chargers, Cowboys andFalcons have all produced top-seeded playoff teams. All three of these No. 1seeds failed to win even a single playoff game: the 2006 Chargers, 2007 Cowboysand 2010 Falcons. And Houston, of course, was on pace for the AFC's top seedbefore losing Schaub this week.<o:p></o:p>
Here's a brief look at how the Curse has haunted everyorganization that has employed Phillips since the day that he benched DougFlutie before the 1999 playoffs. Note that the Curse of Flutie often dictatesthat teams lose because of poor play at QB:<o:p></o:p>
1999 Bills, Birth of the Curse -- With aplayoff spot wrapped up, Phillips sits Flutie for the final game of the regularseason, under the devious ruse of giving him some rest and backup Rob Johnsonsome reps. But Phillips then installs Johnson as the starter for a playoff gamein Tennessee, unleashing forces beyond the control of mere mortals.<o:p></o:p>
The Bill lose to the Titans via the "Music CityMiracle." The loss is made possible after a poor day by Johnson (10 of 22,131 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT, 64.8 passer rating.)<o:p></o:p>
1999-2010 Bills -- Zero playoff appearances since Phillipsbenched Our Aggrieved Hero.<o:p></o:p>
2004 Chargers -- Match a franchise record with 12 regularseason victories but fail to win a playoff game after losing to the Jets in thewild card round. QB Drew Brees actually plays well (31 of 42, 319 yards, 2 TD,1 INT). But the Curse of Flutie was just having a little fun at his expense: Itblows in an ill wind that forces Chargers kicker Nate Kaeding to miss an easy39-yard field goal in overtime. The underdog Jets pull out a shocking 20-17victory in San Diego.<o:p></o:p>
2006 Chargers -- Post a franchise-best 14-2 record, lead theNFL in scoring (492 points) and capture the AFC's No. 1 seed. Fail to win asingle playoff game. Quarterback Philip Rivers plays poorly (14 of 32, 230yards, 0 TD, 1 INT) as the Chargers lose at home to the Patriots, 24-21.<o:p></o:p>
2007 Falcons -- Lose face-of-the-franchise quarterbackMichael Vick in a shocking dog-fighting scandal that rocked the sports world.<o:p></o:p>
2007 Chargers -- Reach the AFC title game for just the secondtime in 25 years -- but draw miserable fate. They must travel cross-country toface the 16-0 Patriots. The Chargers lose, 21-12, behind injured QB PhilipRivers (0 TD, 2 INT) and fail to score a single touchdown. The Curse of Flutielaughs a maniacal laugh.<o:p></o:p>
2007 Cowboys -- Match a franchise record with 13 victoriesand capture the NFC's No. 1 seed. Fail to win a playoff game. It was the firstdivisional playoff loss by an NFC No. 1 seed after 17 straight wins.Quarterback Tony Romo plays poorly, completing just half his passes and sufferskey sacks late in the game, a loss to the Giants.<o:p></o:p>
2008 Chargers -- Made the playoffs after an 8-8 season, theCurse's vindictive little way of filling the organization with false hopes.Playing without injured star LaDainian Tomlinson, the Chargers rush 11 timesfor 15 yards in a 35-24 playoff loss at Pittsburgh.<o:p></o:p>
2009 Chargers -- Close out the regular season with 11straight wins to go 13-3 -- the Curse of Flutie merely setting up San Diegolike little bowling pins of pigskin.<o:p></o:p>
The Chargers earn a first-round bye and a home playoff gameagainst the 9-7 wild card Jets. Rivers passes for 298 yards, compared to just100 for Mark Sanchez. But the Chargers lose 17-14 thanks to an 0-for-3 effortby kicker Nate Kaeding -- a particularly tragic victim of the Curse of Flutie.<o:p></o:p>
2009 Cowboys -- Win the NFC East with an 11-5 record, atalented offense and the league's No. 2 defense (15.6 PPG). Lose to Brett Favreand the Vikings 34-3 in the divisional playoffs behind an ineffective effortfrom Romo and a career playoff performance by Brett Favre (4 TD, 0 INT). TheCurse of Flutie did a little jig at the irony of one of the league's bestdefenses suffering so miserably at the hands of the aging, mistake-pronegunslinger Favre.<o:p></o:p>
2010 Chargers -- The Chargers finish the year No. 1 in totaloffense and No. 1 in total defense. Win only nine games and fail to reachplayoffs. The Curse of Flutie celebrates with fish tacos and a bottle of StoneRuination IPA.<o:p></o:p>
2010 Cowboys -- A season of high hopes, followed bymiserable failure. Dallas fires Phillips after a 1-7 start; go 5-3 the rest ofthe way. The Curse of Flutie brushes up Phillips' resume and sends it via PonyExpress to Houston.<o:p></o:p>
2011 Bills -- Began the season 3-0, highlighted by asignature win over the dominant division rival Patriots. But success is nevermeant to be again in Buffalo, not as long as the Curse of Flutie roams theearth: the Bills are now 5-4 and sinking fast after a crushing 44-7 Week 10loss to the Cowboys.<o:p></o:p>
Remorseful Bills fans suffer nightmarish visions of Rob Johnsonand his Olivia Newton-John-style 1980s headband trotting out onto the field forthe final seven games.<o:p></o:p>
2011 Chargers -- Everybody's preseason favorite to win theAFC West is 4-5 and has suffered four straight losses after a strong start. TheCurse of Flutie offers the SI Cover Curse a course on weaving false hopes.<o:p></o:p>
2011 Cowboys -- The typical high hopes in Dallas have beenmet yet again by underachievement on the field. The Cowboys began the season5-4 -- though they did lay waste to Buffalo 44-7 in Week 10.<o:p></o:p>
Forced to make a choice between one of its victims for another,the Curse of Flutie will always hand Buffalo the cruelest outcome. The 44points were the most scored by the Cowboys since Week 1 of the 2007 season --the team's first game with Phillips as head coach. Yes, the Curse of Flutieworks in mysterious ways.<o:p></o:p>
2011 Falcons -- The Curse of Flutie forces Atlantamanagement to foolishly mortgage the future and trade five draft picks for widereceiver Julio Jones, when the team had tons of holes on defense.<o:p></o:p>
The 13-3 Falcons of 2010 have responded with a disappointing 5-4record through Week 10 and Atlanta QB Matt Ryan has taken a step back withJones in the lineup (91.0 rating in 2010; 83.0 in 2011). Even fellow BostonCollege alumni are not immune to the vindictive retribution of the Curse ofFlutie.<o:p></o:p>
2011 Texans -- On pace for their bestseason in franchise history and the No. 1 seed in AFC. Lose QB Matt Schaubafter Week 10. The Curse of Flutie celebrates with a road trip to Galveston anda fried seafood platter at Gaido's (http://www.gaidos.com/home.html).

bosshogg21
10-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Maybe if we bring Phillips back it'll complete the circle and we'll be forgiven.

Oaf
10-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Trade for Russell Wilson and give him the reins.

Double the pay of Doug's daughter and hire her as a Bills cheerleader.

Train Shawn Powell to dropkick PATs.

Sacrifice a buffalo, then have a bowl of flutie flakes in buffalo sauce. Recycle box.

Hex over.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
10-10-2012, 06:03 PM
I still have a box of flute flakes on my desk

alnilla
10-10-2012, 06:50 PM
He played for the Pats so ya

RedEyE
10-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Maybe if we bring Phillips back it'll complete the circle and we'll be forgiven.
I'd rather give Lindsey Lohan unprotected cunilingus than see Philips back at OBD.

justasportsfan
10-11-2012, 10:20 AM
It's not a curse. Wade just isn't meant to be a HC. Just like Jauron , Wanny and maybe Chan too.

Mr. Miyagi
10-11-2012, 11:55 AM
I'd rather give Lindsey Lohan unprotected cunilingus than see Philips back at OBD.
Sorry I'm not aware of another kind of cunilingus. Rubber on the tongue?

Mr. Miyagi
10-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Trade for Russell Wilson and give him the reins.

Double the pay of Doug's daughter and hire her as a Bills cheerleader.

Train Shawn Powell to dropkick PATs.

Sacrifice a buffalo, then have a bowl of flutie flakes in buffalo sauce. Recycle box.

Hex over.
I like the idea.

Also pay Flutie millions to be Buffalo's PR man, like the deal the Packers offered Favre before he bolted for the Jets.

The Jokeman
10-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Article is from last year but this is an excellent read. It's soooo obvious that Flutie cursed both Wade Phillips and Ralph Wilson. ;)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/kerry_byrne/11/16/wade.phillips/index.html

All the more reason to hate the mighty midget. I cursed the decision to sign him the day he was brought in. I still don't regret my thoughts. As playing him preventing us from developing RJ or seeing clearly what RJ was. Also his big time salary hit prevented let to us keep guys like Wiley, Rogers, Winfield etc that were part of what helped make the defenses great. Easily John Butler's biggest mistake was bringing in Flutie. Again in rebuilding a franchise doesn't start with adding a 39 year old QB who proved to be far from great in the NFL.

MTBillsFan
10-11-2012, 12:39 PM
He played for the Pats so ya

Twice!

bosshogg21
10-11-2012, 07:21 PM
All the more reason to hate the mighty midget. I cursed the decision to sign him the day he was brought in. I still don't regret my thoughts. As playing him preventing us from developing RJ or seeing clearly what RJ was. Also his big time salary hit prevented let to us keep guys like Wiley, Rogers, Winfield etc that were part of what helped make the defenses great. Easily John Butler's biggest mistake was bringing in Flutie. Again in rebuilding a franchise doesn't start with adding a 39 year old QB who proved to be far from great in the NFL.

Clueless bro... I get for some reason people have to hate on the little guys. What'd that team start out that year with old RJ? 0-3? In a county lease year huh? The team very much could've been headed out of town, the threat was real...we needed a spark. Enter flutie. He bootlegged left against Jacksonville and that was the spark this town and that team needed. Those games weren't gonna sell out bud. Hate him for whatever reasons you have but that man came in helped the team stay and helped get us to the playoffs, the last playoffs we've seen and people find reasons to hate him. It's been called by many the worst benching in the history of sports by many analysts, but you're right...he sucked.

bosshogg21
10-11-2012, 07:28 PM
As playing him preventing us from developing RJ or seeing clearly what RJ was

anyone can clearly see what RJ was...a bum. The worst football player I've ever seen with my own 2 eyes. There was nothing to develop and I'd take losman over him 10 out of times and I despise losman.

RedEyE
10-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Doug Flutie is the only QB in Bills history to have a perfect passer rating. Ironically it was the last game he played before being benched.

imbondz
10-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Doug Flutie is the only QB in Bills history to have a perfect passer rating. Ironically it was the last game he played before being benched.

lol. that is a microcosm of the entire buffalo bills organization

Beebe
10-11-2012, 08:53 PM
We are sorry Doug Flutie

but you being benched wasn't our fault we wanted you to play and start that game.

Oaf
10-11-2012, 10:03 PM
You serious?

bosshogg21
10-12-2012, 02:15 AM
It was a Ralph Wilson production. That was not wade's decision.

Historian
10-12-2012, 06:03 AM
Gerald Phalen for GM!!!

lmcshadow
10-12-2012, 01:58 PM
thats horrible.

stuckincincy
10-12-2012, 03:34 PM

How does one accomplish "protected" cunilingus??? Educate us... :cas:

djjimkelly
10-12-2012, 04:01 PM

id be for it at least we know given 2 years we would have a top D again becuz as a d coordinator he is that good

djjimkelly
10-12-2012, 04:03 PM

hell id love to chow her box id do it repeatedly if it meant wade as our d coordinator (if she let me) :)

id do it repeatedly regardless

RandolphDuke
10-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Doug Flutie was the Bill Brasky of the Bills organization. Ralph and Wade can eat an unending smorgasbord buffet of turds for what they did to him. Totally 3rd rate, busch league, limp wristed, flaccid thinking on their part.

RedEyE
10-13-2012, 07:34 AM
I thought it was common knowledge Lindsay Lohan was a hermaphrodite?

Thurmal
10-13-2012, 08:38 AM
**** Flutie. Everyone forgets that the only reason he was such a "winner" was that he played on a team with the #1 defense in the league. The year he got benched for Johnson, he blew a ton of games. Johnson won that Titans game; Flutie would've lost that game by double digits.

jimmifli
10-13-2012, 04:46 PM
**** Flutie. Everyone forgets that the only reason he was such a "winner" was that he played on a team with the #1 defense in the league. The year he got benched for Johnson, he blew a ton of games. Johnson won that Titans game; Flutie would've lost that game by double digits.

This is why the team is still cursed.

imbondz
10-14-2012, 03:39 PM
it's really the curse of Rob Johnson. If he doesn't beat the Colts 40-0 the week before the playoff game, he never starts that Titans game.

The Jokeman
10-14-2012, 07:15 PM
Clueless bro... I get for some reason people have to hate on the little guys. What'd that team start out that year with old RJ? 0-3? In a county lease year huh? The team very much could've been headed out of town, the threat was real...we needed a spark. Enter flutie. He bootlegged left against Jacksonville and that was the spark this town and that team needed. Those games weren't gonna sell out bud. Hate him for whatever reasons you have but that man came in helped the team stay and helped get us to the playoffs, the last playoffs we've seen and people find reasons to hate him. It's been called by many the worst benching in the history of sports by many analysts, but you're right...he sucked.

Am I clueless or do I recognise that entering the 1998 season the Bills had some somewhat unproven talent like Antowain Smith, Eric Moulds, Marcellus Wiley and Rob Johnson. Sure they lost their first two games and RJ played pretty bad. Then in the third game against the St Louis Rams RJ played really well only to get hurt again and we lost when Flutie wasn't able to kill the clock with the game on the line. Then two weeks later at home RJ again plays well and beats a undefeated 49ers team. The next game he plays any signicant time in was against the Saints in a season finale where he dominates a bad Saints team. Was Flutie a better QB than RJ? Yes but perhaps with a little more development RJ could have been better but there's no way knowing for sure. Yet I maintain had we let RJ play in 1998 and 1999 he might have shown to be better or if not oh well then we have to look for a QB sooner than later than we did by keeping Flutie.

It's an odd situation but all I can say ask Eagles fans today if they'd rather have Michael Vick or Kevin Kolb.