PDA

View Full Version : Peter King: Dareus is 77 out of 77, stunningly bad Bills defense

Skooby
10-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Someone is not doing their job:

http://m.si.com/193164/nightmare-scenario/

don137
10-12-2012, 04:55 PM
I wonder if his brothers death has affected his play. I hope he is not the second coming of Mike Williams.

BillsFever21
10-12-2012, 05:06 PM
The worse ranked DT in football? Ouch. Hopefully he won't be standing in line with all the other busts the Bills have had for the past 10 years.

I liked him coming out of college and was fine with the pick but wanted AJ Green instead. You knew he had star written all over him where with Dareus you knew he had talent but wasn't a sure thing as far as being a dominant player. I guess we'll see how it turns out.

I don't want to use his brother's death as an excuse. As tragic as it is there are many football players that have a death in the family while they're playing or suffer other tragic events. We all experience it in our lives but we still have to go on with our job. That can't be used as an excuse for him if he doesn't end up being the player many thought he would be. If so then that means he's mentally weak.

kingJofNYC
10-12-2012, 05:11 PM
I thought he played poorly against the Jets, Mangold owned his ass and he's been hurt most of the season to boot, Moore also held him in check. Played much better against Mack/Pinkston, and the Chiefs interior. The last two weeks you just want to forget.

We shouldn't have cut Dwan Edwards, was against it at the time and still am. Right now Carrington is the only depth we have. You can't even spell Kyle/Dareus properly. I think they're planning on starting 6 OL on Sunday, that sounds like a great idea!

ServoBillieves
10-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Worst in the league is a joke.

kingJofNYC
10-12-2012, 05:26 PM
His play has been a joke so far. Remember this doesn't mean Marcell is the worst DT in the league, only that he's playing like one of, if not the worst.

I'm sure Gibby is going to enter at any moment and declare us coldharded bastards that deserve to lose a family member in order to feel what Marcell feels.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Worst in the league is a joke.

He's repeating a stat from ProFootballFocus, which IMO is a horrible site with no credibility. Their claim to fame is that they supposedly grade every player, every play. But they don't seem to understand what most players are supposed to be doing on a lot of plays, so their grading doesn't mean much of anything.

That said, Dareus hasn't played well, but singling him out is like trying to pick which raindrop burst the dam. They've all been horrendous.

Mouldsie
10-12-2012, 05:42 PM
The worse ranked DT in football? Ouch. Hopefully he won't be standing in line with all the other busts the Bills have had for the past 10 years.

I liked him coming out of college and was fine with the pick but wanted AJ Green instead. You knew he had star written all over him where with Dareus you knew he had talent but wasn't a sure thing as far as being a dominant player. I guess we'll see how it turns out.

I don't want to use his brother's death as an excuse. As tragic as it is there are many football players that have a death in the family while they're playing or suffer other tragic events. We all experience it in our lives but we still have to go on with our job. That can't be used as an excuse for him if he doesn't end up being the player many thought he would be. If so then that means he's mentally weak.
Yea it will sound like hindsight but for my taste Dareus really didn't make enough big plays for the talent and hype IMO.

That said, I was fine with the pick and thought he would be a very good player at a position of importance.

I do think the death of a family member can and will and should affect a person. Hopefully he rebounds quickly.

Kyle Williams, Mark Anderson, Mario Williams, an Chris Kelsay are all playing like ****.

Skooby
10-12-2012, 07:03 PM
We had a shot at just about anybody in that draft, so far it's a complete fail.

kingJofNYC
10-12-2012, 07:07 PM
We had a shot at just about anybody in that draft, so far it's a complete fail.

He was pretty good last year with no one around him, just look up his PFF numbers, huge contrast. Only a 5 game sample size so far. So you're basically valuing 5 games over 16 games if you say it's a complete failure. Just needs to get his game and head straightened out. Problem is, you have to keep playing him even though he's struggling because they have zero depth at DT.

Skooby
10-12-2012, 07:12 PM
He was pretty good last year with no one around him, just look up his PFF numbers, huge contrast. Only a 5 game sample size so far. So you're basically valuing 5 games over 16 games if you say it's a complete failure. Just needs to get his game and head straightened out. Problem is, you have to keep playing him even though he's struggling because they have zero depth at DT.

Either you're getting better or worse, so right now he's a complete fail. If the intended goal was not to eventually succeed, then yes he's not a failure.

kingJofNYC
10-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Either you're getting better or worse, so right now he's a complete fail. If the intended goal was not to eventually succeed, then yes he's not a failure.

Everyone goes through slumps, I'm not giving him a pass, and I've ridden him harder than anyone on this board, but he's proven to be a very good player over a 16 game stretch. He's struggling right now for whatever reason, but I'm not tagging him with the failure label, it's idiotic when the guy already has a very good season under his belt.

Skooby
10-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Everyone goes through slumps, I'm not giving him a pass, and I've ridden him harder than anyone on this board, but he's proven to be a very good player over a 16 game stretch. He's struggling right now for whatever reason, but I'm not tagging him with the failure label, it's idiotic when the guy already has a very good season under his belt.

To even have a story written about how horrible your squad is & then specifically get pointed out as the biggest failure of the group of failures tells you something, he can only improve from here I guess.

kingJofNYC
10-12-2012, 07:31 PM
It tells me that's he's been really bad so far this year, specifically the last 2 games, but that's all it tells me.

In July PFF wrote what a great season Dareus had and how he poised to improve and do better in '12, but they based it on a 16 game sample size, one single season. Player performance can be volatile over a small sample size. 5 games isn't enough to label him a failure, and 16 games isn't enough to crown him an up and coming star, as PFF did in back in July.

We'll find out at the end of the season where he stands, 32 games under his belt, if he stays healthy. Off to a bad start but so is everyone on that defense. PFF has Byrd as our best secondary player, you know what other player has a positive coverage rating? George Wilson, who has been absolutely abysmal if you ask me.

Dareus has to pick it up though, starting with this week. D stands zero chance of being anything but embarrassing if Kyle and Dareus aren't playing well. This scheme is dog ****, teams know exactly where everyone lines up every down. So predictable, even Kyle looks like a giant turd in this scheme. Wannstedt's managed to make one of our best defender look like a non factor, where's the old Kyle Williams?

Generalissimus Gibby
10-12-2012, 07:40 PM
His play has been a joke so far. Remember this doesn't mean Marcell is the worst DT in the league, only that he's playing like one of, if not the worst.

I'm sure Gibby is going to enter at any moment and declare us coldharded bastards that deserve to lose a family member in order to feel what Marcell feels.

Your man has some straw sticking out of him there. I contend he had a good season last year and that five games is not a sufficient sample size to call him a bust. I think he's being poorly coached this year, but then again so is the rest of the D.

jamze132
10-13-2012, 01:14 AM
It's a heart issue. These guys on the d-line are just going through the motions right now. No one is playing with any sense of urgency or conviction. It's not talent, they are all extremely talented. Once they start putting forth more of an effort on the field and in the classroom, they'll blossom into a badass d-line.

Sammy Avalon
10-13-2012, 02:25 AM
It's a heart issue. These guys on the d-line are just going through the motions right now. No one is playing with any sense of urgency or conviction. It's not talent, they are all extremely talented. Once they start putting forth more of an effort on the field and in the classroom, they'll blossom into a badass d-line.

This

kishoph
10-13-2012, 02:49 AM
I contend he had a good season last year and that five games is not a sufficient sample size to call him a bust. I think he's being poorly coached this year, but then again so is the rest of the D.

Although the first game after his brother's Murder, he played a good game, there's no telling how and if it is affecting him still. The coaching has been terrible, the 49'ers kept 7 men back the majority of the game and Wannsteadt did nothing to counter that, other than the occasional blitz (way too few). It seems like the defense is never in the right play call. Wannsteadt is a major problem with this defense.

They do look like they've been playing without any kind of fire. One thing that has to be tough, is to go out there and try to go all out, while floating around in your head is the thought that no matter what you do, the offense is go out there and fail and chances are you'll be back on the field in 4 plays. That could affect your sense of urgency. There's a few things killing this defense, but I agree, I don't think lack of talent is one of them

coastal
10-13-2012, 07:22 AM
Two things...

Giving Mario the $ they did and Wanny.

Two HUGE mistakes.

Night Train
10-13-2012, 07:34 AM
Like I said previously, the Bills coaches play chess with a checkers mentality.

They could make the '85 Bears D look pedestrian. Poor preparation.

Mike
10-14-2012, 02:33 PM
I wonder if his brothers death has affected his play. I hope he is not the second coming of Mike Williams.

Didn't T. Smiths brother also die and then he went out and dominated? Bret Farve had his best game a day after his father passed.