PDA

View Full Version : Chan Gailey tried everything in his power to lose that game

IlluminatusUIUC
10-14-2012, 06:47 PM
That was the most pathetic display of endgame coaching I've ever seen.

1) 3:00 left, we have the ball in FG range, he calls a WILDCAT PASS from a guy who hasn't thrown a pass in live action in over a year. And the last one was an INT too.

2) Tries to ice the kicker even though it has been shown, time and again, not to be effective. We sure could have used the timeout on the subsequent possession.

3) Gets the ball back with under a minute left, game tied. Gives up a sack, then tries to run the ball, completely forfeiting any chance at winning in regulation.

4) Covers Fitzgerald with Scott repeatedly (this one was on Wannestadt, but Gailey's the HC so he shares it). I mean, he's only one of top 3 wideouts in the league, let's man him up with a converted 3rd string linebacker. What could possibly go wrong?

5) Gets the ball in OT and calls one, repeat: ONE, rushing play. Never mind that Fitz was horrendously inaccurate and we were averaging nearly 5 yards per carry. The three straight passes on 1st and ten from Arizona's 35 was particularly galling.

6) Calls a punt from Arizona's 35. He called a punt from Arizona's 35 yard line. I understand 52 yards is a long kick, but if you can't trust your guy to even attempt it INDOORS to take an OT lead, then YOU DON'T NEED THAT KICKER.

Gailey needs to go to Jairus Byrd, drop to his knees and thank him profusely for saving his job, because bungling like that would have gotten him fired from a D2 Directional College, let alone the NFL.

Horrible.

imbondz
10-14-2012, 06:49 PM
just imagine what Cards fans are saying about that loss. lol

BertSquirtgum
10-14-2012, 06:49 PM
Chan Gailey is an idiot.

Mr. Pink
10-14-2012, 06:50 PM

Probably blaming their Kicker for whiffing a 38 yarder. LOL

IlluminatusUIUC
10-14-2012, 06:51 PM

The Cardinals wouldn't have even been in that position if Chan would stop jockriding Fitz and call run plays, FFS

The Jokeman
10-14-2012, 06:53 PM
Chan Gailey is an idiot.

and yet he's the best HC we've had here since Wade Phillips.

Mr. Pink
10-14-2012, 06:54 PM

Some people are still delusional.

BertSquirtgum
10-14-2012, 06:56 PM

Nope. Mularkey and Jauron were better coaches.

ServoBillieves
10-14-2012, 06:58 PM
So you're mad that they ran the ball in regulatbut in OT they should have done it more because ofincompetent play by the passer.... Make up your mind.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-14-2012, 07:00 PM
So you're mad that they ran the ball in regulatbut in OT they should have done it more because ofincompetent play by the passer.... Make up your mind.

They're called "Completely different situations." At the end of regulation, we had 2 timeouts and nearly a minute to either drive for our own attempt at a field goal or at least push them back. In OT, we had all the time in the world and should have been running. Especially when we're right on the end of field goal range. You should never EVER punt inside the opponent's 40. It's completely moronic.

BertSquirtgum
10-14-2012, 07:06 PM
They're called "Completely different situations." At the end of regulation, we had 2 timeouts and nearly a minute to either drive for our own attempt at a field goal or at least push them back. In OT, we had all the time in the world and should have been running. Especially when we're right on the end of field goal range. You should never EVER punt inside the opponent's 40. It's completely moronic.

Yupp. Chan knew he was getting fired if he lost that game.

The Natrix
10-14-2012, 07:07 PM
Having Smith throw it in that situation is one of the worst play calls ever. Even if it resulted in a TD, it still would be considered a bad play.

imbondz
10-14-2012, 07:07 PM
in the end, the Cards wanted to lose more. lol. that right there is a step in the right direction for us!

MikeInRoch
10-14-2012, 07:17 PM
I have no issue whatsoever with the punt. If the FG would have won the game, yes, try it. Since it would have given Arizona a possession (and with great field position - considering their FG kicker made one that would have been good from 70 earlier), the punt was fine.

Turf
10-14-2012, 07:19 PM
Gailey is so bad, he is sooo lucky, because he lost that game. Why do you have two kickers, and neither kicker can kick a 52yd FG in indoors? Are you kidding me? I was just livid at punting. And all of the other points are accurate. Brads Smith? Really? 3 mins left, run the clock down, run the ball. Kick a FG at least.
But Fitz, Jesus can you throw a ball more than 10 yards downfield. Can you even throw a flat pass to Fred that could've kept a drive going.
Chan actually would be really good if he had a QB. But his decison making is mind boggling stupid, and hes the luckiest MF this weekend, becuase if they lost this game everyone would be runing him out of town.
I'm done with Chan after today

BillsFever21
10-14-2012, 07:28 PM
The Bills should've easily had this game put away long before all this stuff happened. They let the Cardinals back in the game and we got lucky Feeley missed a chip shot FG to send it in OT.

If Kolb wouldn't have gotten injured who knows if we even win that game. He wasn't playing great but they would've been better off then with Skelton coming in off the bench cold and without playing for a month. That INT most likely doesn't happen. Their passing game was 2-10 after Kolb got injured. We got lucky with both of them outcomes.

Yet since we won though we have the same people predicting a fairly easy playoff run for the Bills to finish the season. It doesn't matter that we can't win in the division and will have 5 losses after we play Houston and New England but get ready to watch our playoff game in January.

kingJofNYC
10-14-2012, 07:29 PM
I have no issue whatsoever with the punt. If the FG would have won the game, yes, try it. Since it would have given Arizona a possession (and with great field position - considering their FG kicker made one that would have been good from 70 earlier), the punt was fine.
Play calling before the punt was the bigger issue. Spiller rips off a long run, on the 35, and we throw three times when chan knows that he's out of FG. Just awful.

NorthCarBills
10-14-2012, 07:37 PM
Totally agree. This team won despite Gailey and Fitzpatrick.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-14-2012, 07:38 PM

If you're punting from the 35, you have an extremely high chance of getting a touchback, so you are trading possession for a whopping 15 yards of field position. If Gailey doesn't trust Lindell from that distance, he needs to go for it and playcall on 2nd and 3rd down accordingly.

kingJofNYC
10-14-2012, 08:12 PM
If you're punting from the 35, you have an extremely high chance of getting a touchback, so you are trading possession for a whopping 15 yards of field position. If Gailey doesn't trust Lindell from that distance, he needs to go for it and playcall on 2nd and 3rd down accordingly.

Nailed it.

Spiderweb
10-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Jauron???? Chan may be bad...especially of late.....but Jauron...

BertSquirtgum
10-14-2012, 08:25 PM
Jauron???? Chan may be bad...especially of late.....but Jauron...

Yes, If Jauron had the talent that this defense has we would have already made the playoffs years ago.

Patti120
10-14-2012, 08:50 PM
Yes, If Jauron had the talent that this defense has we would have already made the playoffs years ago.

i just threw up in my mouth.

NOT THE DUDE...
10-14-2012, 08:59 PM
does wanny know how to spy????

mjt328
10-14-2012, 09:04 PM
The Wildcat throw by Brad Smith was possibly the worst call I've ever seen out of this franchise.

And we have had some BAD coaches.

mikemac2001
10-14-2012, 09:04 PM
bottom line the bills won 3/4s of this game

should they have the win i dont think so

chan was being a dumbf all game but we won so he put the team in a position to win

ct bills fan
10-14-2012, 09:12 PM
simple stat - Spiller's averaging something like 7.3 yards per carry, fitztragic is averaging 4 yards per thrown, run the damn ball with spiller

ct bills fan
10-14-2012, 09:14 PM
The Wildcat throw by Brad Smith was possibly the worst call I've ever seen out of this franchise.

I would say letting losman throw vs. the jets (when freddie is averaging 7 ypc on the time consuming drive) was worse. Losman fumbled, jets returned the fumble for a td to take the lead with 2 1/2 minutes left.

jimmifli
10-14-2012, 09:16 PM
simple stat - Spiller's averaging something like 7.3 yards per carry, fitztragic is averaging 4 yards per thrown, run the damn ball with spiller

He runs out of the spread, that's why his stats look so good and the holes are so big. When he gets through the line the LBrs are 2 yards away. I'd still like to see the Oline pound out a 3rd and 2 up the gut.

BuffaloWingEater
10-14-2012, 09:28 PM
the walrus believes gailey's team saved his job tonight:

http://wgr550.com/HAMILTON--Gailey-s-team-may-have-saved-him/14516041

Skooby
10-14-2012, 10:05 PM

AZ doesn't have a bad team, they were 4-1. Another thing as well is we have a talented defensive line that's learning how to play together. Kelsay looked like a typical goof not sealing the edge but he did force the pocket to move, advantage defense.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-14-2012, 10:18 PM

After the game Gailey defended the call saying if it works it’s a good call and if it doesn’t it’s a bad call. He said if he had it back, he’d run it again. No, in my mind it’s a bad call each and every time. Winning teams know better.

"Honey, I put all the mortgage money on 26 Black and lost it. If it worked it's a smart bet and if it didn't it's a bad bet."

Gailey had better be just covering his butt, because that call was a total brainlock. I'm all for aggressive coaching, but you aggressively play to your strengths. The Brad Smith chuck-and-duck is not what we should be doing in crucial situations.

Mr. Pink
10-14-2012, 10:45 PM

It ranks right there with Greggy's call to have Travis Henry throw the ball.

Years from now we'll all forget about Chan's tenure outside of the Brad Smith throw. Much like we do now with Greggy's tenure.

It's THE play that defines his coaching career here.

BertSquirtgum
10-14-2012, 11:09 PM
That call was pure stupidity.

Marcala12
10-15-2012, 12:41 AM
the Cards were pretty stupid about things too; that guy William Powell was gashing us up. And they stopped giving him the ball completely in favor of Stephens Howlings who was awful; kept us in the game really.

Crisis
10-15-2012, 04:38 AM
The punt at the 35 was so bad... FWIW Potter was nailing everything in warmups from long range while Lindell was short on his from when I was watching.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-15-2012, 07:49 PM
After Gailey's unconscionable timeout before the 61-yarder, he stayed out of the way until overtime. There, he made another baffling series of decisions. The Bills won the coin toss and threw the ball four times to start their drive, producing two incomplete passes, a seven-yard completion, and a 21-yard DPI. Then, on second down, they remembered that they were allowed to run the ball and handed it off to C.J. Spiller for 17 yards, producing a first-and-10 on the Arizona 35-yard line. With the Cardinals blitzing up the A-gaps on most every play, the running game averaging five yards per carry, and the proposition of adding even a few yards of field position representing enormous value, what did the Bills do? Why, they went with an empty backfield and threw three more incomplete passes, with one of the passes dropped by rookie T.J. Graham. That stuck them with fourth-and-10 from the 35-yard line on the opening drive of overtime, when you can't even end the game in OT with a field goal anymore, and they chose to … punt. Punting from inside your opposition's 40-yard line in a dome should be cause for immediate firing, regardless of the circumstances. Gailey's decision was bailed out when John Skelton forced a throw and created an interception for Jairus Byrd, but remember: A ball on the 35-yard line represents a 52-yard field goal. If you don't have enough confidence in your kicker to hit from 52 yards out in a dome, you need a new kicker. Judging from his decisions, the Bills might also want to add a new coach to the shopping list.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8506988/the-top-teams-game-rest-week-6-news

Jimbuktu
10-15-2012, 08:58 PM
The Bills should've easily had this game put away long before all this stuff happened. They let the Cardinals back in the game and we got lucky Feeley missed a chip shot FG to send it in OT.

If Kolb wouldn't have gotten injured who knows if we even win that game. He wasn't playing great but they would've been better off then with Skelton coming in off the bench cold and without playing for a month. That INT most likely doesn't happen. Their passing game was 2-10 after Kolb got injured. We got lucky with both of them outcomes.

Yet since we won though we have the same people predicting a fairly easy playoff run for the Bills to finish the season. It doesn't matter that we can't win in the division and will have 5 losses after we play Houston and New England but get ready to watch our playoff game in January.

I'm not EXCITED exactly about this team, but I think the AFC is really weak in the middle and bottom this season. You have the Pats, Ravens, Texans and Chargers winning the divisions, and then what?! I'm thinking 8-8 might be good enough for BOTH wild card slots.

knowing us, we still F that up.

Steelers suck, Peyton is toast, Bengals are up and down.

It's there for the taking!