X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IlluminatusUIUC
    • Sep 2012

Chan Gailey tried everything in his power to lose that game

That was the most pathetic display of endgame coaching I've ever seen.

1) 3:00 left, we have the ball in FG range, he calls a WILDCAT PASS from a guy who hasn't thrown a pass in live action in over a year. And the last one was an INT too.

2) Tries to ice the kicker even though it has been shown, time and again, not to be effective. We sure could have used the timeout on the subsequent possession.

3) Gets the ball back with under a minute left, game tied. Gives up a sack, then tries to run the ball, completely forfeiting any chance at winning in regulation.

4) Covers Fitzgerald with Scott repeatedly (this one was on Wannestadt, but Gailey's the HC so he shares it). I mean, he's only one of top 3 wideouts in the league, let's man him up with a converted 3rd string linebacker. What could possibly go wrong?

5) Gets the ball in OT and calls one, repeat: ONE, rushing play. Never mind that Fitz was horrendously inaccurate and we were averaging nearly 5 yards per carry. The three straight passes on 1st and ten from Arizona's 35 was particularly galling.

6) Calls a punt from Arizona's 35. He called a punt from Arizona's 35 yard line. I understand 52 yards is a long kick, but if you can't trust your guy to even attempt it INDOORS to take an OT lead, then YOU DON'T NEED THAT KICKER.

Gailey needs to go to Jairus Byrd, drop to his knees and thank him profusely for saving his job, because bungling like that would have gotten him fired from a D2 Directional College, let alone the NFL.

Horrible.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!
  • imbondz
    Democrats are people too
    • Jan 2003

Re: Chan Gailey tried everything in his power to lose that game

just imagine what Cards fans are saying about that loss. lol
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
      Legendary Zoner
      • May 2009

Chan Gailey is an idiot.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
        Peterman Sucks!
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by imbondz View Post
        Probably blaming their Kicker for whiffing a 38 yarder. LOL

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by imbondz View Post
          The Cardinals wouldn't have even been in that position if Chan would stop jockriding Fitz and call run plays, FFS

Comment

• The Jokeman
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
            Chan Gailey is an idiot.
            and yet he's the best HC we've had here since Wade Phillips.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
              Peterman Sucks!
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
              Some people are still delusional.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                Legendary Zoner
                • May 2009

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                Nope. Mularkey and Jauron were better coaches.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                  The Voice of Reason
                  • Jul 2007

So you're mad that they ran the ball in regulatbut in OT they should have done it more because ofincompetent play by the passer.... Make up your mind.
                  Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ServoBillieves View Post
                    So you're mad that they ran the ball in regulatbut in OT they should have done it more because ofincompetent play by the passer.... Make up your mind.
                    They're called "Completely different situations." At the end of regulation, we had 2 timeouts and nearly a minute to either drive for our own attempt at a field goal or at least push them back. In OT, we had all the time in the world and should have been running. Especially when we're right on the end of field goal range. You should never EVER punt inside the opponent's 40. It's completely moronic.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                      They're called "Completely different situations." At the end of regulation, we had 2 timeouts and nearly a minute to either drive for our own attempt at a field goal or at least push them back. In OT, we had all the time in the world and should have been running. Especially when we're right on the end of field goal range. You should never EVER punt inside the opponent's 40. It's completely moronic.
                      Yupp. Chan knew he was getting fired if he lost that game.

Comment

• The Natrix
                        • Jul 2002

Having Smith throw it in that situation is one of the worst play calls ever. Even if it resulted in a TD, it still would be considered a bad play.

Byrd.

Comment

• imbondz
                          Democrats are people too
                          • Jan 2003

in the end, the Cards wanted to lose more. lol. that right there is a step in the right direction for us!
                          My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                            • Sep 2003

I have no issue whatsoever with the punt. If the FG would have won the game, yes, try it. Since it would have given Arizona a possession (and with great field position - considering their FG kicker made one that would have been good from 70 earlier), the punt was fine.
                            "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• Turf
                              • Jul 2002

Gailey is so bad, he is sooo lucky, because he lost that game. Why do you have two kickers, and neither kicker can kick a 52yd FG in indoors? Are you kidding me? I was just livid at punting. And all of the other points are accurate. Brads Smith? Really? 3 mins left, run the clock down, run the ball. Kick a FG at least.
                              But Fitz, Jesus can you throw a ball more than 10 yards downfield. Can you even throw a flat pass to Fred that could've kept a drive going.
                              Chan actually would be really good if he had a QB. But his decison making is mind boggling stupid, and hes the luckiest MF this weekend, becuase if they lost this game everyone would be runing him out of town.
                              I'm done with Chan after today
                              Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

Working...
                              X