JJ Whatt, JPP, Orakpo, Smith, Quinn, Irvin, etc...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    • Jan 2009

JJ Whatt, JPP, Orakpo, Smith, Quinn, Irvin, etc...

We definatly have had the chance to draft Top DE/OLB

JJ Whatt 9,
    Clay Mathews: 8
    R. Quinn: 6
    B. Irvin: 5
    C. Jones: 5
    A. Smith: 4.5

Others: JPP, Orakpo, Ware, etc...

Some of these players came out in the same year, obviously the Bills could have only drafted one of them at a time however this goes to show that we have had multiple opportunities to draft the right D-Line players and improve the pass rush via draft.
    Please Make Sense
  • mikemac2001
    is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
    • Mar 2003

Re: JJ Whatt, JPP, Orakpo, Smith, Quinn, Irvin, etc...

team game

MUCK
    FIAMI

Comment

• BillsOwnAll
      My IQ Test results came back negative
      • Oct 2002

easy to pick 3 years later....

Comment

• Mike
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by BillsOwnAll View Post
        easy to pick 3 years later....
        What is that suppose to mean?
        Please Make Sense

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
          Making Spirits Bright
          • Mar 2006

Also, we could've had Brandon Graham, Derrick Morgan, Larry English, Derrick Harvey, oh and AARON MAYBIN. These threads are pointless, as the argument goes both ways.

Comment

• Bangarang
            • Sep 2010

We also let Tom Brady slip away.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
              Skoobasaurus-Rex
              • Oct 2011

Hindsight is 20/20.

Comment

• Mike
                • Jan 2009

All I am saying is that the opportunity is there and that what *really* separates us from the best teams is our *FO/Coach/GM* the vary people most of you defend as being expert professionals until 3 years later when its so obvious it hurts....

... go look at my post when Dick was hired: clearly thought it was move in the wrong direction and most of you defended the move
                ... same goes for Chan. I also predicted that we would be a worst team under Chan than DJ.... so far I am correct...
                ... same goes for many of their bone headed draft picks, Heck there are people on this board that would have a better draft than the Bills

*All of this being said, if we have the right FO/HC/GM in here this team can improve quite quickly...
                Please Make Sense

Comment

• Mike
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                  Hindsight is 20/20.
                  Do you know what 20/20 vision means? It means that the subject sees same line of letters at 20ft as the normal person sees at 20ft.
                  20/20 is vary average and you are right, we have been no better than average. The bills are that 6-9 win team. Average indeed. If we want to win, the Bills need to be better than average, better than 20/20.
                  Please Make Sense

Comment

• Luisito23
                    Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                    • Apr 2003

We get it, you're always right, and can predict the future...If I was the owner I would hire you as the GM on Monday (and fire you on Tuesday)
                    "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                    ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                    ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                    ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Mike
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Luisito23 View Post
                      We get it, you're always right, and can predict the future...If I was the owner I would hire you as the GM on Monday (and fire you on Tuesday)
                      I dont get it at all... This is not a bashing or an I told you so thread, or anything of the sort.

Its just that I find it interesting that so many good DE/OLB have come out in the past 2-3 years and that there is opportunity to draft them. I think that the NFL is obviously 60/40 passing league which is having a trickle down effect to DE/OLB sack numbers, pressures, etc... If you look INTS are up this year.

Also, I am saying that there is good talent for the Bills to chose from and an opportunity to really improve which starts at the top.

* Lastly, I feel that no matter what I say, unless its fanatical optimism, it is bound to get criticized no matter how obvious it is.

I am sure you have heard of the 80/20 rule (top 20% have effect 80%: in sales, life, etc... and in some areas its 95/5 or even 99/1 rule). Unless your in the top 5-20% there is little difference between the bottom 80%-95%. The differences lie in the depth of perception not on expertise. So an average fan with a great depth of talent perception can identify talent much better than an average scout in the same way that a great novice trader can pick stocks better than the experts! (BTW Wall St is very much into track records and if your a stock genius that lacks the Harvard MBA you can still get a job making 7 figures.)
                      Please Make Sense

Comment

• Mike
                        • Jan 2009

What the Bills need is that person who is in the top 5-20%. When that person comes, its becomes pretty apparent. The team will all of the sudden draft one superstar after another and become a contender. It will have that feeling like the 1998 Colts, or the 2001 Pats, etc...

Until then they will remain average to good at best.
                        Please Make Sense

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
                          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Bangarang View Post
                          We also let Tom Brady slip away.
                          So did 31 other teams, and multiple times. I do wonder if he would be the same Brady if he had gone to the Browns, Bengals or even the Bills.

Comment

• Mike
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by BADTHINGSMAN View Post
                            So did 31 other teams, and multiple times. I do wonder if he would be the same Brady if he had gone to the Browns, Bengals or even the Bills.
                            There are two ways to answer it:

1) Yes he would have been great regardless of outside circumstances: this supports idea of how great Pats were for drafting him
                            2) No he is a byproduct of system/coaching: this supports idea of how great Pats are at developing players

The truth lies somewhere in the middle. In any case, both Brady and the Pats had a lot to do with his personal success and the team success.

* Regarding Brady on draft day, he was originally projected as a 3rd round pick but fell. Had he played his entire senior college season at Michigan he could have gone much higher than his 3rd round grade...
                            Please Make Sense

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                              There are two ways to answer it:

1) Yes he would have been great regardless of outside circumstances: this supports idea of how great Pats were for drafting him
                              2) No he is a byproduct of system/coaching: this supports idea of how great Pats are at developing players

The truth lies somewhere in the middle. In any case, both Brady and the Pats had a lot to do with his personal success and the team success.

* Regarding Brady on draft day, he was originally projected as a 3rd round pick but fell. Had he played his entire senior college season at Michigan he could have gone much higher than his 3rd round grade...
                              Or it could be 3) Right player, right system, right time. If Bledsoe did not get injured, Brady might have never seen the field for the Pats* until Bledsoe won them a Super Bowl, then he would have likely been traded like Cassell.

Comment

Working...
                              X