PDA

View Full Version : Do You Trade F. Jackson?

Mike
10-14-2012, 10:15 PM
Jackson looked very good today, but Spiller was even better. Its obvious that Spiller is the new version of CJ2K...and Jackson is only getting older. Do you trade him now, and get something out of him? A team like GB might be willing to part with a pick...

If so what round?

kingJofNYC
10-14-2012, 10:20 PM
We got two 4th round picks fora running back that was still in his mid twenties. You're getting nothing for Jackson.

Mike
10-14-2012, 10:22 PM
That may be so but a team like GB might finding him extremely valuable. Maybe they give us a 3rd or 4th

BillsOwnAll
10-14-2012, 10:26 PM
james jones

TigerJ
10-14-2012, 11:52 PM
I said no, in part because I think a first, second or third round pick in trade for him is a pipe dream, and maybe a fourth round pick as well. I think you're looking at a fifth round pick at best for Jackson because of his age, and you need a couple good RBs on a team because so many running backs get hurt during the course of the season. You want to start Spiller? Fine, start Spiller. I wouldn't mind that a bit, but as insurance against an injury and the ability to bring in a very good running back when the team needs to relieve CJ Spiller, Jackson is worth far more than he would fetch in a trade.

BertSquirtgum
10-14-2012, 11:56 PM
Nobody will want him. Just keep him behind CJ.

Mr. Pink
10-15-2012, 02:22 AM
At this point he's worth a 5th or 6th.

The time to trade him, if we were going to, was right before we picked Spiller.

kishoph
10-15-2012, 03:58 AM
Other than the fact that he wouldn't get more than a 4th or 5th (31 yr. old RB's are not a hot commodity), he is valuable to the Bills, as he might be the most respected player in the locker room and an inspiration, plus he still can produce enough to be a good "backup" to Spiller. Jackson ran hard yesterday ("very good" ? no), but you can see that he has lost a step, the injury may play into it, but it's more than just the injury. RB's hit a serious wall around Jackson's age, very few have had success past the age of 31-32 and Jackson may be experiencing that now. He may still be able to be the feature back in someone's offense, but with the Bills, I think he's best suited to be the 2nd back, behind Spiller and that leader in the locker room. So I say keep him, but Spiller is the Man.

Extremebillsfan247
10-15-2012, 04:31 AM
Jackson looked very good today, but Spiller was even better. Its obvious that Spiller is the new version of CJ2K...and Jackson is only getting older. Do you trade him now, and get something out of him? A team like GB might be willing to part with a pick...

If so what round? Jackson and Spiller work well together. It's a tandem that this team needs precisely because of Fitzpatrick and his struggles with throwing the football. Trading Jackson or Spiller right now would be a big mistake. JMO

Night Train
10-15-2012, 04:32 AM
There are actually 4 people (and growing) here that think we could get a 1st round pick for Jackson...on the bad side of 30 with a bad knee.

We may need to trade in the short bus for a full size.

X-Era
10-15-2012, 05:47 AM
I'd trade him for a player at another position of need like LB or WR. The problem is that those trades really don't happen very often.

YardRat
10-15-2012, 05:51 AM
Hell no.

coastal
10-15-2012, 06:04 AM
Why is the idea of trading our talent for draft picks so damn attractive to Bills fans?

is it because we constantly live in a state of perpetual promise?

The King
10-15-2012, 07:46 AM
This isn't Madden, Jackson brings a physical element that Spiller doesn't and while he's definitely on the back 9 of his career he's a leader on this team and he makes us better. Trading him would make zero sense.

jamze132
10-15-2012, 07:50 AM
Trading Jacksone would be stupid since you're not going to get equal value. I would however start next week to give the majority of the snaps to CJ sicne he's more explosive and elusive. Fred Jackson can go back to doing what he did best, being one hell of a "change of pace" back.

OpIv37
10-15-2012, 07:53 AM
um, we cut Johnny White last week.

This means that if we traded Jackson, Spiller and Choice would be the only running backs on the roster. It's just not worth it.

For once, this team has to live in the moment and try to win now instead of trading quality players for a draft pick that may or may not help us a couple of years down the line after they have time to develop.

mjt328
10-15-2012, 07:56 AM
No.
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think the best chance of winning is keeping our talented players.

mysticsoto
10-15-2012, 08:48 AM
There are actually 4 people (and growing) here that think we could get a 1st round pick for Jackson...on the bad side of 30 with a bad knee.

We may need to trade in the short bus for a full size.

I said "NO!" but in all fairness, the way the question is worded, it asks, "Would you trade FJ for a..." and I guess for a 1st rounder, yeah...I'd trade him if someone offered us a 1st rounder for him and then re-sign Johnny White!!! Perhaps a 2nd (depends on how low/high I think the actual trade would be). But anything lower to me isn't worth it.

RedEyE
10-15-2012, 08:54 AM
I don't think so. The injury bug has not been good to this team. Best hold onto FJ and let CJ slowly fit into the starting role. Its working itself that direction anyway.

TigerJ
10-15-2012, 08:57 AM
No.
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think the best chance of winning is keeping our talented players.

Um, if you check the poll results, you'll see that far more of us voted "no" on the trade idea than any other option, then if you count the "pipe dream votes," (votes for a fourth round pick or better) only 3 out of 28 vote for a realistic trade for a draft pick. I'd say you're with the majority on this one.

Mahdi
10-15-2012, 09:39 AM
You can't trade Jackson, his value to the team is too high. Spiller needs carry the ball at least 15-20 times a game though as he is just too good to keep on the sideline.

BADTHINGSMAN
10-15-2012, 01:48 PM
No, if Jackson is traded then Buffalo will end up drafting another RB to replace him early in the draft. Keep Jackson, start Freddy and fill holes elsewhere.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-15-2012, 02:08 PM
Jackson's contract is basically untradeable. It's really more than he's worth, but I didn't have a problem with it because I wanted the Bills to reward a hard worker and locker room leader. Other teams will not be interested in that.

Mouldsie
10-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Jackson's contract is basically untradeable. It's really more than he's worth, but I didn't have a problem with it because I wanted the Bills to reward a hard worker and locker room leader. Other teams will not be interested in that.
Is this serious?

DynaPaul
10-16-2012, 05:19 AM
You guys are crazy. We need both of these guys in the backfield.

malvado78
10-16-2012, 08:05 AM
I said "NO!" but in all fairness, the way the question is worded, it asks, "Would you trade FJ for a..." and I guess for a 1st rounder, yeah...I'd trade him if someone offered us a 1st rounder for him and then re-sign Johnny White!!! Perhaps a 2nd (depends on how low/high I think the actual trade would be). But anything lower to me isn't worth it.

This is exactly how I answered the question. I do not believe anyone would give us a 1 or 2 for him but I WOULD trade him for a 1 or 2. Anything less is a NO.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-16-2012, 08:59 AM
Is this serious?

Yes, I'm dead serious. We gave a 31 year old halfback coming off a leg injury a ~$9million extension. Even under the best scenario, he'd platoon carries with CJ Spiller. In the "worst" case, CJ becomes the featured back and we have one of the most expensive backup halfbacks in the league.

Now, as I said I don't mind the contract, because I like Jackson and I think it's important that the Bills build a rep for rewarding hard workers like him. But no other team is going to want that deal on their books.

Skooby
10-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Yes, I'm dead serious. We gave a 31 year old halfback coming off a leg injury a ~$9million extension. Even under the best scenario, he'd platoon carries with CJ Spiller. In the "worst" case, CJ becomes the featured back and we have one of the most expensive backup halfbacks in the league.

Now, as I said I don't mind the contract, because I like Jackson and I think it's important that the Bills build a rep for rewarding hard workers like him. But no other team is going to want that deal on their books.

I think there's a better than average chance the FJ will not be a Buffalo Bills player next year, no way we pay a 32 YO RB $9 M to back up CJ.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-16-2012, 09:24 AM
I think there's a better than average chance the FJ will not be a Buffalo Bills player next year, no way we pay a 32 YO RB $9 M to back up CJ.

The Bills had to know that there was an enormous chance he'd end up backing up CJ when they gave him the deal. I don't think they terminate it, tbh.

Mouldsie
10-16-2012, 11:18 AM
9m over 3 years.....................

Spiller makes like 4x as much money btw and hes been riding pine for 3 years.

How much should a RB2 make in a RBBC?

You guys are so smart. Cutting Freddie would only help this team, especially being in cap hell.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Spiller makes like 4x as much money btw and hes been riding pine for 3 years.

How much should a RB2 make in a RBBC?

You guys are so smart. Cutting Freddie would only help this team, especially being in cap hell.

Committee backs should be guys on their rookie deals or cap-friendly veterans making 2 mil or less. You shouldn't platoon top 10 picks. And I never said we should cut Freddy.

Bill Cody
10-16-2012, 01:56 PM
We need to trade him for a 4th and then use a 1st next year on a back. Lather, rinse, repeat

The King
10-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Barber is making 2.5 per year as Forte's back-up. He does way less for CHI than Freddy does here. Hillis was signed at 3 million as a back-up also not as good as Freddy. Jonathan Stewart's cap hit is also about 2.8 million, and once again not as good as Freddy, hell, Mike Tolbert even signed 4 years at 9 million...

Jackson is an elite pass blocking running back, he fights for the extra yards on every carry, he's a great receiving threat, is he as explosive as Spiller? No. But is he a huge commodity on this team? Absolutely. Trading him would be ludicrous.

You can't rebuild while constantly creating holes.

The King
10-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Better yet, in an organization that honors past players on an almost weekly basis, we've barely produced anyone to be proud of. Fred Jackson is one of those players, he's the type of guy you celebrate 10 years from now at RWS. To trade a guy like that for a chance to draft someone who would be lucky to make the impact he has, is dumb.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Barber is making 2.5 per year as Forte's back-up. He does way less for CHI than Freddy does here.

Marion Barber is retired, which might explain his lack of production. Michael Bush got 4 years, 7 million guaranteed (14 possible), which was intended as leverage against Forte.

Hillis was signed at 3 million as a back-up also not as good as Freddy.

Hillis is 26 and he was signed for 2.5. Jackson is 31. And their leading rusher was coming off a blown ACL.

Jonathan Stewart's cap hit is also about 2.8 million, and once again not as good as Freddy,

Stewart is 25 and he's actually quite good. He has a lot mroe good football ahead of him.

hell, Mike Tolbert even signed 4 years at 9 million...

Tolbert is used a lot as a fullback, which gets him much more snaps, and his contract is not worth anything near 9 million unless he becomes their #1 back by some freak occurrence. (http://www.catscratchreader.com/2012/3/19/2885794/a-look-at-mike-tolberts-contract-with-the-panthers) $5 million of that comes in years 3 and 4, only $2.7 million is guaranteed, which is right in line with what he should be making. Oh, and he's 26 years old.

Are there any 30+ year old backups being paid like that? Not to my knowledge. No other team is going to want that contract.

Mr. Pink
10-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Barber is making 2.5 per year as Forte's back-up. He does way less for CHI than Freddy does here. Hillis was signed at 3 million as a back-up also not as good as Freddy. Jonathan Stewart's cap hit is also about 2.8 million, and once again not as good as Freddy, hell, Mike Tolbert even signed 4 years at 9 million...

Jackson is an elite pass blocking running back, he fights for the extra yards on every carry, he's a great receiving threat, is he as explosive as Spiller? No. But is he a huge commodity on this team? Absolutely. Trading him would be ludicrous.

Trading Freddie doesn't create a hole. I don't get why people think this.

Spiller would take over as the feature back and Choice would spell him for 5-7 carries per game.

Not that I advocate trading Freddie because his value right now is non-existent.

Mouldsie
10-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Do you guys think Spiller can handle 22+ touches per game? I have my doubts.

I'd rather give him the ball on average 18 times a game and let Fred take another 12 than to work Spiller a ton and spell him with a marginal talent like Choice.

And that doesn't even take into account the emotional impact on a team.

Even if Spiller can handle a large workload without getting hurt or slowing down it's better to have FJ behind him. Period!

Seriously, dumping Fred makes no football sense.

Jeff1220
10-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Aside from injuries taking him off the field last year and the beginning of this year, people forget just how good Freddie was for the Bills in the recent past. Last year's 5-2 start had as much or more to do with Freddie putting the team on his back as it did with the since-elusive Fitzmagic.

Luisito23
10-17-2012, 06:44 PM
people forget just how good Freddie was for the Bills in the recent past.

Hence the word "was"...Have you seen him lately? He's nowhere near the player he was early last year, and he will never be that again. Still though it's stupid to even think about trading him, because he'll bring next to nothing in the draft.

Mike
10-18-2012, 03:01 AM
Look, Freddie is good and can still handle to load. However at this point, CJ is far more explosive, he is better, he is our jet fuel. For those of you who have stated that you would not trade Freddie because price would be too low (4th rounder etc...) I totally get your concern and I side with you. As for the 57% who would not trade Freddie under any circumstances, really? You would not take a 1st or 2nd rounder? Are you sure, because most rational people would take that trade in a heart beat.

X-Era
10-18-2012, 05:41 AM

The only reason I would do it is if we were to obtain a high quality starter at another position. For example, would we rather have a part time starter at RB or a full time starter at ILB? Filling a big hole by creating a much smaller one.

I wouldn't do it for pick(s). That's a hope and a dream of a decent player not something proven.

That said, Freddie is very valuable just as you stated and I have no issue keeping him even at the 3 mill rate. Hell, we pay Brad Smith that much.

What I do want to see is Freddie's carries get cut back in favor of CJ. I'd like to see 60% or even more of the carries in CJ's favor.

Mr. Pink
10-19-2012, 05:02 PM
Look, Freddie is good and can still handle to load. However at this point, CJ is far more explosive, he is better, he is our jet fuel. For those of you who have stated that you would not trade Freddie because price would be too low (4th rounder etc...) I totally get your concern and I side with you. As for the 57% who would not trade Freddie under any circumstances, really? You would not take a 1st or 2nd rounder? Are you sure, because most rational people would take that trade in a heart beat.

If you could get a 1st or 2nd for Fred then absolutely I'd do it. His value though is more likely a 5th or 6th draft pick wise now which doesn't hold much value.

You don't need 2 star or really good runningbacks in this league. You need one guy who can handle the majority of the carries and a guy who can handle 5-8 carries a game behind him to give the starter a breather. Choice would fill in the backup RB role just fine, don't know why people think he wouldn't.

There would be no hole.

But Fred brings more value to the team than a 5th or 6th round pick will, in all likelihood. There are some guys who turn out to be studs down there but it's not very likely.

Mouldsie
10-19-2012, 05:09 PM
If you could get a 1st or 2nd for Fred then absolutely I'd do it. His value though is more likely a 5th or 6th draft pick wise now which doesn't hold much value.

You don't need 2 star or really good runningbacks in this league. You need one guy who can handle the majority of the carries and a guy who can handle 5-8 carries a game behind him to give the starter a breather. Choice would fill in the backup RB role just fine, don't know why people think he wouldn't.

There would be no hole.

But Fred brings more value to the team than a 5th or 6th round pick will, in all likelihood. There are some guys who turn out to be studs down there but it's not very likely.

Ask the Bears or the 2011 Chiefs if they think a RB2 is imporant.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-19-2012, 06:05 PM
Both of those teams also lost their QB1 too, right? That might have been bigger.

Mr. Pink
10-20-2012, 06:25 AM

Who's MJDs backup? Who's Chris Johnsons backup? Who's Trent Richardsons backup? Who's Shonn Greenes backup? Who's Michael Turners backup? Who's Darren McFaddens back up? Here's the proper answer to all of those questions...who cares.

A backup is a backup. If you have a star player, regardless of position, if he gets hurt you get screwed.

Besides it's not like Choice is a bum.

Mouldsie
10-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Shawn Gween es a stud. Ef hee gos dowen d Jests r scwued!!!

Mr. Pink
10-20-2012, 07:12 PM
Shawn Gween es a stud. Ef hee gos dowen d Jests r scwued!!!

If any starter that's counted on to be a major part of the offense goes down, any team is screwed.

You can't have top talent all over the field and on the bench too.

The teams that win are the ones that have their focal points stay healthy. Not the teams that have the best backups.

X-Era
10-20-2012, 07:16 PM
If any starter that's counted on to be a major part of the offense goes down, any team is screwed.

You can't have top talent all over the field and on the bench too.

The teams that win are the ones that have their focal points stay healthy. Not the teams that have the best backups.I will agree because I'd like us to be better in a few areas and trading from a position of strength to add to a position of weakness is smart if a team wants to be well rounded.

But, I want to be solid at the backup positions as well. However, that's not what were talking about here. We have two NFL quality starters at RB... Not a starter and backup. Choice is a backup, not Freddie. Freddie has trade value and we have legit needs in other areas. Again though, trading Freddie for picks does nothing for us this year... We might as well trade him during the draft then.

Mr. Pink
10-20-2012, 07:59 PM
I will agree because I'd like us to be better in a few areas and trading from a position of strength to add to a position of weakness is smart if a team wants to be well rounded.

But, I want to be solid at the backup positions as well. However, that's not what were talking about here. We have two NFL quality starters at RB... Not a starter and backup. Choice is a backup, not Freddie. Freddie has trade value and we have legit needs in other areas. Again though, trading Freddie for picks does nothing for us this year... We might as well trade him during the draft then.

As I've said in this thread already I don't think Freddie has really any value in the trade market. Age, injuries now, the fact he looks a step slow. At best you're looking at a 5th. And honestly, most 5th round picks never pan out so you're better off keeping him at this point instead of trading. However, if he was to be traded, it's not like there would be any hole created by his departure as some seem to think.

better days
10-21-2012, 08:14 AM
I voted to trade him for a first rnd pick & I would do that in a heartbeat, but no team would make that trade so I guess I am saying do not trade him.

YardRat
10-21-2012, 08:57 AM
The value that FJ brings to this team relative to his contract, considering the low draft pick or somebody elses scrub back-up (we won't get an upgrade/starter in exchange, even at LBer) that we would get from a trade makes it not worth pulling the trigger.

We're deep at RB...enjoy it and see what it can potentially bring in the long run.

X-Era
10-21-2012, 09:42 AM
The value that FJ brings to this team relative to his contract, considering the low draft pick or somebody elses scrub back-up (we won't get an upgrade/starter in exchange, even at LBer) that we would get from a trade makes it not worth pulling the trigger.

We're deep at RB...enjoy it and see what it can potentially bring in the long run.
No issue with keeping him but if it's as a backup, and spiller needs way more carries. Freddie just isn't as productive anymore.

better days
10-21-2012, 10:17 AM
The only reason I would do it is if we were to obtain a high quality starter at another position. For example, would we rather have a part time starter at RB or a full time starter at ILB? Filling a big hole by creating a much smaller one.

I wouldn't do it for pick(s). That's a hope and a dream of a decent player not something proven.

That said, Freddie is very valuable just as you stated and I have no issue keeping him even at the 3 mill rate. Hell, we pay Brad Smith that much.

What I do want to see is Freddie's carries get cut back in favor of CJ. I'd like to see 60% or even more of the carries in CJ's favor.

I disagree X. MANY MANY starters on one team fall off after they are traded. I would take my chances on a draft pick, but wouldn't trade Fred unless it is for a first rnder.

Mouldsie
10-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Freddie really sucks

NOT THE DUDE...
10-21-2012, 12:29 PM
what a ****tard thread