• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

The dumb Wildcat play call was on Gailey

As per his presser.

He did, however, say it was supposed to go to the middle of the field. He seems to be saying Smith didn't execute the play the way it was designed. But, Gailey still took blame for what he called a "dumb" call.

• Historian
    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
    • Dec 2002

Re: The dumb Wildcat play call was on Gailey

The dumbest of the dumb.

Perhaps the worst single play call in the history of the franchise.

Very Mularkey-esque.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Then it's Jones fault for not bending his route.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
        • Jan 2010

He also said if it was completed it would have been called a great call

Comment

• Turf
          • Jul 2002

He also said he would call the play again.
          I hate the wildcat.
          Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• mikemac2001
            is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
            Then it's Jones fault for not bending his route.
            ya watch the replay two wrs in one spot

peterson left stevie and was able to pick it...if jones runs a deep drag not a post i think its a catch or incompletion

hated the play but didnt mind lets go for the win right now...

MUCK
            FIAMI

Comment

• The King
              Without me it's just Awe so
              • Jun 2004

I did like that he finally threw from the wildcat, but it shouldve been a much safer route and if the receiver wasnt wide open the ball should be tucked and run.
              I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
              "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
              You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
              It was all
              true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
              He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
              mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• trapezeus
                Legendary Zoner
                • Oct 2004

i'm mixed on the play. how do you punish a team going for the death blow? it showed moxy. however, on the flip side, they were moving the ball prior to that. and a field goal wins it.

if no one got hurt in the final 5 minutes and overtime,they escaped that mistake pretty safely. However, they really didn't need that. and a fouth down an 11 convesion by the back up? pathetic.

Comment

• jamze132
                  Don’t hate…
                  • Jun 2003

Calling for a pass from the wildcat in that situation was smart. We haven't did it all year and if it was executed properly, we would all be talking about what a genius playcall that was. It wasn't executed well at all and I think one of the WRs ran the wrong route and the ball never should have been thrown into the endzone with how it developed.

If you want to criticize playcalling lets talk about Wanny who is having a hard time figuring out the definition of the word, blitz. He's going to doom us as the season goes on.

Comment

• mjt328
                    • May 2011

Terrible call.

In some ways, I like Gailey's overall playcalling. He is unpredictable and does a good job of keeping our opponents guessing.
                    Quite a few of our scoring drives have been helped by this strategy.

But at the same time, he likes to "overthink" his play calls.
                    Instead of using common sense or trusting our top talent to make plays, he's ALWAYS looking to trick the defense.

We have two very good running backs and a powerful offensive line. Our quarterback is inaccurate and a tendency to turn the ball over.
                    The smartest thing would have been to just come out and pound the ball down their throats.
                    But Chan knew the defense would be playing the run, so he had to find a way to catch them off guard. Even if it meant using our third-string wide receiver to throw a downfield pass.
                    2013 "My Should Have" Draft
                    Posted During the 2013 Draft
                    1 - (16): Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
                    2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
                    2 - (46): Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
                    3 - (78): Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
                    4 - (105): Barrett Jones, OG, Alabama
                    5 - (143): Brandon Jenkins, LB, Florida State
                    6 - (177): Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
                    7 - (222): Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee

2013 Buddy Nix Draft
                    1 - (16): E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
                    2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
                    2 - (46): Kiko Alonso, LB, Oregon
                    3 - (78): Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas
                    4 - (105): Duke Williams, FS, Nevada
                    5 - (143): Jonathan Meeks, SS, Clemson
                    6 - (177): Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State
                    7 - (222): Chris Gragg, TE, Arkansas

Comment

• RedEyE
                      • Jul 2002

I definitely think its a bad call. I'm not a fan of the wild cat anyway, but deciding top throw the ball in this situation is asinine. They were up by 3, in FG range, and time running off the clock. Common sense says run the ball and burn as much time doing it.

The game was nearly lost because of this one specific play.

Comment

• TigerJ
                        • Jul 2002

Yeah, it was a bad call. But I think that mostly because Brad Smith has so rarely been used as a passer out of the wildcat to this point. I think if you're going to start using him as a passer, you don't start with a low percentage dream and a prayer shot. You give him a higher percentage play. At the same time, had it resulted in a touch down, would we be calling it a bad call?
                        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                          Too sober for this...
                          • Apr 2004

I agree w/most people here. It was a risky call, but I rather our coaches be ready to go for the jugular rather than safe, wimpy playing that most of the time gets us beat. Let's face it, Fitz cannot throw the bomb. So another will have to. If Brad had connected, it would have sent notice to all future opponents, to watch out when we do the wild cat! Something else for them to think about.

I think Gailey draws up some nice offensive plays. It's too bad Fitz can't execute them very well when they involve him throwing.
                          Last edited by mysticsoto; 10-15-2012, 09:10 AM.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by TigerJ View Post
                            Yeah, it was a bad call. But I think that mostly because Brad Smith has so rarely been used as a passer out of the wildcat to this point. I think if you're going to start using him as a passer, you don't start with a low percentage dream and a prayer shot. You give him a higher percentage play. At the same time, had it resulted in a touch down, would we be calling it a bad call?
                            I still would be. Some risks are smart gambles and some are dumb gambles. Chucking it deep on a critical series with a guy who hasn't thrown a pass in over a year is a dumb gamble, and it remains a dumb gamble no matter whether it works or not.

"If it worked, you wouldn't be criticizing me" is the copout of someone who got caught in a dumb mistake and is trying to shift the onus on his critics.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• cookie G
                              • Mar 2003

It was a very good call and it set up perfectly.

The dumbass just threw it to the wrong person. He picked a hell of a time, his 3rd NFL attempt, to go deep.

Watch the replay, Spiller was all by himself in the right flat. The WR's drew both DB's from that side into the endzone. There was no one in front of Spiller for at least 15 yards.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Freeze at 3 seconds. The LB (or SS) standing out there isn't going to catch Spiller if it is thrown to him.

Damn..it actually brings back memories. I had a very similar play when I coached my oldest's flag football team years ago that was probably our most effective play.

When practicing it, one of the RB's said, "I just jog to the side and stand there?" So, I walked him through it. "X WR, go deep. Y receiver, run a slant". "QB, throw the ball to RB". Then I said, "RB, look down the field, what do you see?"

Light bulb came on. Big smile on his face. "Nothing but open space, coach".

Ah, the memories.

Of course, the 5th grade QB's I had were probably smarter than the NFL wildcatter we have.

Comment

Working...
                              X