PDA

View Full Version : Shottenheimer WANTED the Bills job

OpIv37
10-15-2012, 08:06 AM
According to ESPN, Marty Schottenheimer wanted the job but Ralph "wasn't comfortable" with him, so we ended up with Gailey instead.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/9487/marty-schottenheimer-wanted-bills-gig

Also, the article says that the Bills wanted to interview Brian Schottenheimer, and the Jets granted him permission to interview, but he refused to interview. Any bets that has to do with Ralph dissing his dad?

**** you, Ralph.

mikemac2001
10-15-2012, 08:13 AM
really doesnt matter at this point the article is 2 years old...also why is shotty not coaching somewhere else???

its like with players other teams cut....there is a reason why they are cut and why they arnt picked up somewhere else

nolimit
10-15-2012, 08:17 AM
i have no problem with chan as coach...i think he is very good and is a great offensive mind...If this team had a qb our offensive would be deadly

ghz in pittsburgh
10-15-2012, 08:19 AM
I'm not sure Marty would do better.

I believe in Steelers' approach, and Donahoe, despite my bashing him over drafting for the Bills in his 5 years, had that right - he was trying to find the next up-coming HC in NFL, looking into the young coordinators. He just didn't get the right ones.

Marcala12
10-15-2012, 08:22 AM
i have no problem with chan as coach...i think he is very good and is a great offensive mind...If this team had a qb our offensive would be deadly

are you joking or are you 10 years old?

mysticsoto
10-15-2012, 08:27 AM

I agree. If we had a real QB, the team would be doing an order of magnitude better!!!

RedEyE
10-15-2012, 08:29 AM
I agree with nolimit & mystic. When the defense is playing to snuff, this team is just a QB shy of playing lights out.

In regards to Schottenheimer, I think this just proves (once again) how much meddling Ralph actually does. I'm not saying Marty was the answer, but Ralph gets more involved with this team than he should and it has proven disastrous time and time again.

OpIv37
10-15-2012, 08:39 AM

If you want a microcosm for what's wrong with Gailey as coach, check out the Brad Smith INT. Why the hell would you call a shot to the endzone with a WILDCAT QB at that point in a game? That play alone almost cost us the game.

NOT THE DUDE...
10-15-2012, 08:42 AM
die ralph die... sadly, nothing will probably change until this ****er bites the big one...

jamze132
10-15-2012, 08:50 AM
If you want a microcosm for what's wrong with Gailey as coach, check out the Brad Smith INT. Why the hell would you call a shot to the endzone with a WILDCAT QB at that point in a game? That play alone almost cost us the game.

I highly doubt that playcall was executed as planned. I put that on Brad Smith more than anything. I also think that one of the WRs ran the wrong friggin route and instead of Smith seeing this and taking off to the left, which was wide open by the way, he just chucks it down there and lets the WRs and DBs figure it out.

I've been wanting for us to throw the ball out of the WC all friggn year as I think it will keep the LBs honest, which will allow for more yards from the run, BUT the throws have to be executed correctly for effect.

OpIv37
10-15-2012, 09:02 AM
I highly doubt that playcall was executed as planned. I put that on Brad Smith more than anything. I also think that one of the WRs ran the wrong friggin route and instead of Smith seeing this and taking off to the left, which was wide open by the way, he just chucks it down there and lets the WRs and DBs figure it out.

I've been wanting for us to throw the ball out of the WC all friggn year as I think it will keep the LBs honest, which will allow for more yards from the run, BUT the throws have to be executed correctly for effect.

I agree we need to throw from the Wildcat to make it more effective. But that was not the time or the place to do it. Why bust out the trick stuff when the running game is working well as it is? This team has been in 4 blowouts so far- the KC game in our favor and the NE, Jets and SF games going against us. Why not take a chance in one of those games when there is far less to lose? It's just mind-bogglingly stupid.

ParanoidAndroid
10-15-2012, 09:09 AM
I agree. That was the wrong time to try that play. I have to admit, though, Patrick Peterson ran a really nice route.

trapezeus
10-15-2012, 11:29 AM
shottenheimer would have gotten us to the playoffs and no further.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-15-2012, 11:32 AM

What exactly are these?

OpIv37
10-15-2012, 11:38 AM

After 12 years of no playoffs, going on 13, I'm ok with that. It would at least be a start.

And, maybe if we had a team capable of making the playoffs, we could attract more talent in terms of players and coaches.

More importantly, it's evidence that we had a quality coach who wanted to come here, and Ralph burned the bridge. Translation: there is some truth to the notion that good coaches don't want to come here, and the reason is Ralph.

trapezeus
10-15-2012, 11:41 AM
but that would have been too painful to go to a three year rebuild and be a good team that deserves more but constantly fall short. i'm still not anti-gailey. on the whole his game plans look like they'd work if they had a qb who could be accurate. he sided with a cerebral qb, but at the cost of an arm. and it's gotten worse. that's on him as a coach, but on the whole, i think the offense looks good when clicking and scheme wise it looks good when it isn't.

currently, i sitll see the bills as an improving talent team. they are a few lb's and a QB away from the playoffs. and i'd rather run with gailey on a 50/50 chance in the playoffs than with shotty who will find a way to lose the game.

EricStratton
10-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Marty still is out of work so apparently all the other teams in the NFL saw what Ralph saw and Brian was fired by the Jets.

I don't see how either was a mistake by Ralph.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
10-15-2012, 11:49 AM
die ralph die... sadly, nothing will probably change until this ****er bites the big one...
Um... I'm going to assume this is bombastic hyperbole.... You surely don't wish death on another human being... It's just football fer crip sake! I have no love for Ralph but I don't wish the man dead and if you or any one else does, then you need to take a break and watch baseball for a while

OpIv37
10-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Marty still is out of work so apparently all the other teams in the NFL saw what Ralph saw and Brian was fired by the Jets.

I don't see how either was a mistake by Ralph.

Um did you watch the game? Do you see how Gailey coaches?

Look I'm not delusional. I know Schottenheimer isn't the reincarnation of Vince Lombardi, but I think either Shotty would be better than Gailey.

kingJofNYC
10-15-2012, 11:52 AM
That's how bad it's gotten.

Fans would actually be satisfied with Marty. Not sure what's sadder.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Um... I'm going to assume this is bombastic hyperbole.... You surely don't wish death on another human being... It's just football fer crip sake! I have no love for Ralph but I don't wish the man dead and if you or any one else does, then you need to take a break and watch baseball for a while

Nobody wants Ralph die, we want Ralph to sell. He's the one that refuses to give up his baby until he's dead and is incapable of running it properly, so he forces our hand a little.

DraftBoy
10-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Good for Schotty, I didn't want him here.

Historian
10-15-2012, 12:03 PM
All Schottzy ever did was turn around franchises that were ingrained to losing.

He's exactly what the Bills needed.

Sorry, you gotta be in it to win it.

Night Train
10-15-2012, 12:20 PM
So did Billick.

Strong personalities that refuse to attach the puppet strings are frowned upon.

DraftBoy
10-15-2012, 12:21 PM
All Schottzy ever did was turn around franchises that were ingrained to losing.

He's exactly what the Bills needed.

Sorry, you gotta be in it to win it.

He's won a total of one championship and that was in the UFL. Let's not get carried away in his greatness.

Extremebillsfan247
10-15-2012, 12:24 PM
According to ESPN, Marty Schottenheimer wanted the job but Ralph "wasn't comfortable" with him, so we ended up with Gailey instead.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/9487/marty-schottenheimer-wanted-bills-gig

Also, the article says that the Bills wanted to interview Brian Schottenheimer, and the Jets granted him permission to interview, but he refused to interview. Any bets that has to do with Ralph dissing his dad?

**** you, Ralph.

2 years, 9 months, and 4 days too late for this discussion. What does it really matter now that the damage is already done? It wasn't going to happen whether Schotty wanted the job or not. He's 9 years older than Gailey. He'll be 70 on the 23rd of this month. Age probably had a lot to do with the Bills decision at the time. JMO

Historian
10-15-2012, 12:25 PM
200-126-1

I think this number speaks for itself.

Then look at the Bills record for the entire 52 years of the franchise's existence.

It isn't even close to .500

DraftBoy
10-15-2012, 12:27 PM
I think this number speaks for itself.

Then look at the Bills record for the entire 52 years of the franchise's existence.

It isn't even close to .500

What's the playoff record?

Generalissimus Gibby
10-15-2012, 12:36 PM

what are playoffs again? Playoffs are always a crapshoot and Marty has won playoff games before (true he hasn't won a playoff game since 93), but he has led all his teams except the Redskins to the post season and wth the exception of San Diego he did this with serviceable at best qbs (would you really call Bernie Kosar or a Montana in his last two seasons, Steve DeBerg, Dave Krieg, Steve Bono, and Elvis Grbac elite qbs?

Generalissimus Gibby
10-15-2012, 12:39 PM
2 years, 9 months, and 4 days too late for this discussion. What does it really matter now that the damage is already done? It wasn't going to happen whether Schotty wanted the job or not. He's 9 years older than Gailey. He'll be 70 on the 23rd of this month. Age probably had a lot to do with the Bills decision at the time. JMO

My sentiments exactly, elderly coaches have never been successful with the Bills before:

OpIv37
10-15-2012, 12:40 PM

Gailey is 60 so it couldn't have been that big of a factor.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-15-2012, 12:51 PM

Look at who he had to play in the playoff losses. In the late eighties it was the Denver Broncos, and his teams played them very close (that's two of his losses). In the nineties two of his losses were at the home stadium of some team from Western New York near the Falls. In 95 he lost to a very plucky Colts team that was a bad call and a near catch away from going to the Superbowl (plus, its not his fault that Lin Elliot shanked three field goal attempts from makable range). In 97 he lost to the most complete Broncos team ever assembled in a very close game. Not saying Marty doesn't have his struggles in the post season, all I am saying is from Dan Reeves' Broncos to Bill Bellijerk's Patriots Schotty has sadly been a good coach who loses to great ones.

Extremebillsfan247
10-15-2012, 01:47 PM
My sentiments exactly, elderly coaches have never been successful with the Bills before:

15934 I have a lot of love and respect for that guy, he was 61 when he took over as the Bills HC in 1986. It took Levy a couple of years to right the ship here. The state of this franchise in a lot of ways is better now than it was before Levy took over. That may be hard to believe unless you were around to witness how bad this team was in the mid 1980's. He retired at age 72, and has the distinction of being tied with George Halas for oldest head coaches in NFL history. But anyway, Schottenheimer would have been 67 years old the day he would have taken over as the Bills head coach if the Bills gave him the job. To give that some perspective, the oldest coach in the NFL right now is Tom Coughlin at 66.

kingJofNYC
10-15-2012, 01:48 PM
what are playoffs again? Playoffs are always a crapshoot and Marty has won playoff games before (true he hasn't won a playoff game since 93), but he has led all his teams except the Redskins to the post season and wth the exception of San Diego he did this with serviceable at best qbs (would you really call Bernie Kosar or a Montana in his last two seasons, Steve DeBerg, Dave Krieg, Steve Bono, and Elvis Grbac elite qbs?

He should have won a SB with the talent he had in SD. Prime LT, a Merriman who could still play, Sproles, Gates, Williams, Jammer and Cro, you can keep on listing. Dude had a pro bowl team.

YardRat
10-15-2012, 02:08 PM
I agree with nolimit & mystic. When the defense is playing to snuff, this team is just a QB shy of playing lights out.

In regards to Schottenheimer, I think this just proves (once again) how much meddling Ralph actually does. I'm not saying Marty was the answer, but Ralph gets more involved with this team than he should and it has proven disastrous time and time again.

Seriously? You think an NFL owner should just 'butt out' when hiring a head coach?

As far as the OP....too funny..."I don't care what Marty says, I know the truth!". You're going to have to find something a hell of a lot more credible than a Tim Graham article to hold this up.

better days
10-15-2012, 02:17 PM
He should have won a SB with the talent he had in SD. Prime LT, a Merriman who could still play, Sproles, Gates, Williams, Jammer and Cro, you can keep on listing. Dude had a pro bowl team.

Well, how have the Chargers done since firing Marty? I think the biggest problem with Marty is with him you would also get his son as OC. Ask Jets fans what they think of him.

chernobylwraiths
10-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Brian Schottenheimer is a terrible coordinator.

X-Era
10-15-2012, 03:35 PM
This is not new. All of this came out during the coaching search. Why are we revisiting this?

jcdavey
10-15-2012, 03:38 PM
you would have a wonderful engagement with marty, then he'd leave you at the altar

that's what marty does

BuffaloWingEater
10-15-2012, 03:40 PM
marty takes all of his teams to the playoffs granted he doesn't win when he's there. but who the hell cares about that when you are a bills fan.

BuffaloWingEater
10-15-2012, 03:42 PM

of course it wasn't. two wide receivers were on top of each other. plus, brad smith needs to be smarter. the play wasn't there. however, that call should never have been made.

bf1
10-15-2012, 03:47 PM
I would kill for some Marty ball. :(. ug. This thread make my day.... ...terrible.

BuffaloWingEater
10-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Brian Schottenheimer is a terrible coordinator.

gailey as oc and schotty as hc.

bf1
10-15-2012, 03:50 PM
:rofl: at people bringing up Marty's playoff history to fans of a team who haven't been to the playoffs in 12 years. :rofl:

DraftBoy
10-15-2012, 03:54 PM
:rofl: at people bringing up Marty's playoff history to fans of a team who haven't been to the playoffs in 12 years. :rofl:

Just sad to see people's standards fall. The goal is to always win the SB, not just make the playoffs.

Bill Cody
10-15-2012, 03:54 PM

That's dumb. It's not Shotty's fault that Byner fumbled away one trip to the SB and John Elway's utter greatness stole another. Marty Shottenheimer was a great coach, one of the top 10-15 in the history of the league. Chan Gailey is not. End of story.

Mike
10-15-2012, 06:20 PM
really doesnt matter at this point the article is 2 years old...also why is shotty not coaching somewhere else???

its like with players other teams cut....there is a reason why they are cut and why they arnt picked up somewhere else

You do realize that Marty is a HOF caliber coach. In fact, he has a much higher winning percentage than the Buffalo Bills. Overall, it seems to me that the BILLS FO and Ownership really wanted someone that they can control in both HC and GM positions. Marty would have stirred the pot to much and rocked the boat to a breaking point.

PTI
10-15-2012, 08:56 PM
Well, he sure would run the ball more.

Beebe's Kid
10-15-2012, 10:00 PM
I am a free thinker...I like Chan as an offen-sive gu-ru. He likes run-ning quart...quar...quar...terbacks. Tight ends, he does not like. Great off-ensive minds. 11th dimensional chess.

Holy ****...an article from 2 years ago that I thought we beat to hell and back then, inspires some of the worst discussion that I have ever read.

Syderick
10-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Just sad to see people's standards fall. The goal is to always win the SB, not just make the playoffs.

It would be more of a realistic goal. At least the Bills would be in the hunt, relevant and fun to watch.

Skooby
10-15-2012, 11:03 PM
We need to see over .500 ball first, then we can possibly figure out more.

Mr. Pink
10-16-2012, 12:30 AM

Marty is a winner. He falls short on the Superbowl but he gets teams to the cusp of what every team should be after.

Meanwhile we hire a retread who's made us worse from the Jauron years.

So which is actually sadder?

Mr. Pink
10-16-2012, 12:35 AM

He should have won a SB with the talent he had in Cleveland. Kosar was one of the best QBs in the league in 86 and 87. Byner, Mack, Slaughter, Clay Matthews, Ozzie Newsome, the best cover corner tandem in the NFL at the time Minnifield and Dixon. etc...

His problem was he went way too conservative in approach in the big games. Cleveland all but had the 86 AFC Championship game won until Marty went into prevent the final drive. However, getting your teams into position to get to the big game is a far cry better than not even getting your teams into position to be competitive in your own division.

kishoph
10-16-2012, 03:34 AM

How can you wish someone to die because of a game meant to entertain. Ralph has done so much for so many people through charities, donations, employment, etc. that he should be honored, not wished on to die. As much as I hate to say it, when you have no regard for another person's life, maybe the world would be a better place if people like you would just die.

OpIv37
10-16-2012, 08:17 AM

Gotta start somewhere.

Again, if we could make the playoffs, we'd be more likely to attract talented players and coaches and it could go from there.