Perspective on the victory over AZ: the good and the bad.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Perspective on the victory over AZ: the good and the bad.

First, the good:
    For once, this team rallied back from some adversity. They didn't wilt when Freddy fumbled early or on the late INT by Smith. We got lucky with the missed FG, but they didn't execute when they should have, and the team responded by playing well in OT and coming up with a big play when it mattered most. Jairus Byrd had perhaps his best game as a Bill.

The DL was great. Granted, it was against the worst OL in football, but maybe this will be the confidence-builder they needed to play better going forward.

We won because our "stars"- Stevie, Spiller, Mario Williams and Kyle Williams- actually played like stars. We won because Fitz didn't turn the ball over (even though Freddy and Brad Smith tried to do that job for him). We won because Gailey, despite some questionable coaching decisions, actually stuck with the run instead of trying to force Fitz to win it for us.

And now, the bad:
    Our CB's and LB's are terrible. McGee nearly cost us the game with that **** coverage on Fitzgerald. Aaron Williams got beat a couple times again. Gilmore was decent but took a dumb penalty. And it's embarrassing how bad our LB's are at shedding blocks. On Kolb's scrambles, they were being consistently blocked by WR's and RB's. There is no excuse for that.

Fitz did a better job today than he has in previous games, but he still has accuracy issues. TJ Graham was a non factor. The call by Gailey and the decision by Brad Smith on that throw to the endzone were inexcusable.

Conclusion/perspective:
    The team won a road game in OT against a team that has a great D but a terrible OL. There were definitely some positives to this game, but nothing that makes me think this team is going to come out and be ready to play with the big boys. We are stuck in the 3-3 quagmire in the division, and those early losses to the Jets and Pats are really killing us now. If the season ended today, we'd be in last place on tiebreakers. Right now, this is looking like another 7-8 win season, where we are not good enough to challenge for a playoff spot but too good to land a franchise QB or other top player in the draft. Let's just hope we can beat Tennessee at home and go into the bye and the next NE game with a winning record.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • jamze132
    Don’t hate…
    • Jun 2003

Re: Perspective on the victory over AZ: the good and the bad.

You forgot to mention that Wanny has the same gameplan for the #1 ranked offense and the #31 ranked offense. Just another reason why this team is going to get pummeled by the rest of the division again.

Comment

• Bulldog
      Top Dog
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
      First, the good:
      For once, this team rallied back from some adversity. They didn't wilt when Freddy fumbled early or on the late INT by Smith. We got lucky with the missed FG, but they didn't execute when they should have, and the team responded by playing well in OT and coming up with a big play when it mattered most. Jairus Byrd had perhaps his best game as a Bill.

The DL was great. Granted, it was against the worst OL in football, but maybe this will be the confidence-builder they needed to play better going forward.

We won because our "stars"- Stevie, Spiller, Mario Williams and Kyle Williams- actually played like stars. We won because Fitz didn't turn the ball over (even though Freddy and Brad Smith tried to do that job for him). We won because Gailey, despite some questionable coaching decisions, actually stuck with the run instead of trying to force Fitz to win it for us.

And now, the bad:
      Our CB's and LB's are terrible. McGee nearly cost us the game with that **** coverage on Fitzgerald. Aaron Williams got beat a couple times again. Gilmore was decent but took a dumb penalty. And it's embarrassing how bad our LB's are at shedding blocks. On Kolb's scrambles, they were being consistently blocked by WR's and RB's. There is no excuse for that.

Fitz did a better job today than he has in previous games, but he still has accuracy issues. TJ Graham was a non factor. The call by Gailey and the decision by Brad Smith on that throw to the endzone were inexcusable.

Conclusion/perspective:
      The team won a road game in OT against a team that has a great D but a terrible OL. There were definitely some positives to this game, but nothing that makes me think this team is going to come out and be ready to play with the big boys. We are stuck in the 3-3 quagmire in the division, and those early losses to the Jets and Pats are really killing us now. If the season ended today, we'd be in last place on tiebreakers. Right now, this is looking like another 7-8 win season, where we are not good enough to challenge for a playoff spot but too good to land a franchise QB or other top player in the draft. Let's just hope we can beat Tennessee at home and go into the bye and the next NE game with a winning record.
      If Fitz could get the god damn ball to TJ Graham, he wouldn't be a non factor. How many times has Fitz missed TJ Graham running wide open? I know of at least one in the Patriots game and one in the SF game. And I'm not talking just missed a completion, I'm talking the Bills left points on the field because Graham beat the CB so badly he was going for six if Fitz could get him the ball. And to another point, I don't understand why everyone is yelling that the Bills need help at WR, the guys they have are winning their one on one battles more often than not, but it doesn't really matter because Fitz more than likely will miss them anyway. So frustrating to watch. If the Bills had a competent QB, I'm thinking this offense would easily rank in the top 10. Thats how bad Fitz has been.
      I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
        Skoobasaurus-Rex
        • Oct 2011

The good: We won.

The bad: It was ugly.

The ugly: Goto line 2.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Bulldog View Post
          If Fitz could get the god damn ball to TJ Graham, he wouldn't be a non factor. How many times has Fitz missed TJ Graham running wide open? I know of at least one in the Patriots game and one in the SF game. And I'm not talking just missed a completion, I'm talking the Bills left points on the field because Graham beat the CB so badly he was going for six if Fitz could get him the ball. And to another point, I don't understand why everyone is yelling that the Bills need help at WR, the guys they have are winning their one on one battles more often than not, but it doesn't really matter because Fitz more than likely will miss them anyway. So frustrating to watch. If the Bills had a competent QB, I'm thinking this offense would easily rank in the top 10. Thats how bad Fitz has been.
          You are right about Graham in the SF and NE games. But I'm talking about yesterday. Fitz only threw to him 2x, one Fitz missed and the other Graham dropped. And I think the WR talk has calmed down since the season started. It's difficult to tell what we have or don't have at WR because Fitz misses them so consistently, and even when he makes the completion, his placement is so bad that it eliminates any chance of YAC.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Bulldog
            Top Dog
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
            You are right about Graham in the SF and NE games. But I'm talking about yesterday. Fitz only threw to him 2x, one Fitz missed and the other Graham dropped. And I think the WR talk has calmed down since the season started. It's difficult to tell what we have or don't have at WR because Fitz misses them so consistently, and even when he makes the completion, his placement is so bad that it eliminates any chance of YAC.
            You mean like the throw late in the game where Freddy would still be running if Fitz could hit the ocean from the pier? I espically liked the play where Freddy was standing in the flats with nobody, and I mean nobody around him and instead Fitz tries to jam the ball into Chandler with two defenders in the immediate area. Honestly, how does he miss that?
            I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
              Skoobasaurus-Rex
              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Bulldog View Post
              You mean like the throw late in the game where Freddy would still be running if Fitz could hit the ocean from the pier? I espically liked the play where Freddy was standing in the flats with nobody, and I mean nobody around him and instead Fitz tries to jam the ball into Chandler with two defenders in the immediate area. Honestly, how does he miss that?
              Those shoes aren't going to tie themselves. I'd also rather he miss low of at all, we won the turn-over battle yesterday along with the game.

Comment

• jimmifli
                • Nov 2006

Who the **** was that serial killer looking guy that played 1 snap as a backup TE and almost blew the ****ing game? Is he supposed to be any good? If not I hope he gets cut.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                  • Sep 2003

I almost completely agree - just one really small nit to pick. It wasn't *complete* luck that he missed the FG - we got a finger on it. Otherwise he very likely makes it.
                  "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• The King
                    Without me it's just Awe so
                    • Jun 2004

FG was blocked = not luck
                    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                    It was all
                    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                      • Sep 2003

There is some luck involved in blocking a FG - it could easy go right or left of your hand.

One other thing - we aren't in last with regarding to tie-breakers. We actually are ahead of the Dolphins.
                      "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

I didn't realize we blocked the kick. I'll have to try to go back and watch it again.

And are you sure we have the Dolphins beat on tiebreakers?
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post
                          Who the **** was that serial killer looking guy that played 1 snap as a backup TE and almost blew the ****ing game? Is he supposed to be any good? If not I hope he gets cut.
                          backup TE that is supposed to be very good at blocking.

I have no idea what he did since they never showed a replay. I DID see a replay of their safety elbowing Graham on top of the pile though. Can't see how the refs missed that one.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths View Post
                            backup TE that is supposed to be very good at blocking.

I have no idea what he did since they never showed a replay. I DID see a replay of their safety elbowing Graham on top of the pile though. Can't see how the refs missed that one.
                            yeah I was wondering about the replay on that. And the announcers didn't even clarify- they just said he gave an Arizona player "a little something extra." What does that mean, exactly?

I'm always suspicious when they don't show the replays of penalties. I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but it seems odd that if an offensive lineman blows his knee out behind the play, they have 14 different angles on it. But if there's a controversial penalty in a close game, suddenly the network doesn't have a good shot of it? I suppose it's possible. It just seems highly unlikely.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• trapezeus
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Oct 2004

the good: we won
                              the bad: offense is so inconsistent that you can't win with them. if you look at their scoring drives, there are large gashing type runs or gimmick plays out of wildcat that get us the yards. without that, we can't get into a shootout and we can't reliably put points up to even drive into field goal range.

it puts a lot of pressure on the defense at this point. i still think t jax has to be warming up to go in after the bye. i don't know what kind of game fitz can have next week for me to change that opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X