My Bills at Cards Hot Reads (Chan/Fitz, CJ/Fred, defense)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

My Bills at Cards Hot Reads (Chan/Fitz, CJ/Fred, defense)

That was crazy. A lot to talk (or write about) and digest.....

Western New York’s number one source for daily sports talk and play-by-play as the flagship station of the Bills and Sabres. Stream, read and download WGR 550 AM from any device on Audacy
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: My Bills at Cards Hot Reads (Chan/Fitz, CJ/Fred, defense)

I keep trying to digest it but even my previcid can't keep it down.

Comment

• TigerJ
      • Jul 2002

Nice article, Sal. I agree with all of it. I would like to see Brad Smith pass a little more often out of the Wildcat, but not when we should be running clock.
      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• RedEyE
        • Jul 2002

Kevin "Steve Young" Kolb: The defense played pretty well for the most part. They were put in some bad situations, but the bottom line is they held Arizona to 16 points and harassed and sacked their QBs most of the day. But an alarming trend and number was the way Kevin Kolb ran all over them from the quarterback spot. He wound up with 66 yards. He had 34 the entire season coming into this game! And it was big runs in big spots that really killed the Bills. looking ahead, they don't play many "running" QBs, but you can bet offensive coordinators on the Bills schedule took notice of how much room Kolb had all game long and how he took advantage. And those teams will try to take advantage the same way. Here's your weekly "fix it!" to Dave Wannstedt: find a way to stop the QB from running on you. Or it will keep happening and only get worse.

Gailey actually commented on this yesterday, and once dissected there is some interesting information within the text. Gailey's comment:

On the success Kevin Kolb had running the ball:
        "Yeah, we really played good run defense except for him. We gave up 180 yards rushing, but 66 were his. We were surprised about that, because he is a scramble to throw guy not a scramble to run guy. We were telling everyone to stay back because he likes to throw it when he starts to move, and it hurt us today."

I can understand this call by the coaching staff after reading this explanation. But what is really interesting to me is that this comment tells me that Gailey spent some time with the defense this week. This is after he was quoted last week of not getting involved with Wanny's game planning and leaving him with to operate that side of the football. That comment last week didn't sit right with me and it looks like Gailey finally stuck his nose exactly where it belongs.

Comment

Working...
        X