PDA

View Full Version : Why I've Lost Faith in Gailey...

Bills Juggernaut
10-15-2012, 11:38 AM
The win was great, but those of us without rose colored glasses still see this team as deeply flawed and as much as I want to blame it mainly on Fitz, I'm starting to move the blame to a even split between him and Gailey.

I will not even go into the debate about Freddy getting more carries than CJ despite how good Spiller has been. Spiller is clearly the best back at this point and maybe be the best back in the league if given 20+ carries a game.

But I want to illustrate why I feel Chan just doesn’t get it sometimes. (And no, this isn't the horrible wildcat pass play call).

In OT, after a really bad decision by Fitzpstupid to try float a pass down the sideline to Jones (and getting bailed out by a very lucky pass interference call) instead of recognizing that Stevie was one on one with a LB and was wide open coming across the middle, on second and 10 near mid-field, a handoff to Spiller gains 17 yards. Great run. Mostly all on Spiller. First down on the 35. I’m thinking, feed it to Spiller, feed it to Spiller.....</SPAN>

What do we do even though we have one of the best backs in football? We pass 3 straight plays for no gain. Fitzstupid really hasn't looked sharp all game and missies a wide open Freddy and we once again fail to use one of the best weapons in football right after he made an amazing 17 yard run. Punt.</SPAN>

What make s the playing calling all the more puzzling and frustrating is that consider where you are and the situation that you are in. We are at the 35 yard line. First down. You are looking at a 52-53 yard field goal. Right on the edge of your field goal kicker’s range. How about a run to get you 3or 4 yards? Get in under a 50 yard attempt. A sack takes you out of field goal range. It’s not like we couldn’t run against their defense. I just don’t understand Chan’s play calling. Horrible. </SPAN>

Losing faith fast.....

IlluminatusUIUC
10-15-2012, 11:47 AM
Gregg Easterbrook is an idiot, but occasioanlly he makes points worth considering. Once, he claimed that modern "offensive guru" coaches think they have to win with the passing game. Why? Well, if Gailey just feeds Spiller the rock all day, then any idiot could have drawn up that game plan. But if he wins with some hyper-complicated route combination that springs some UDFA wideout for a TD then Gailey looks like the smart guy.

I definitely get the feeling somettimes that Gailey is trying to prove something.

trapezeus
10-15-2012, 11:59 AM
let's not forget the playcalling after the tying fg. they pass first. and when it doesn't work, they go to the run which arizona knows is coming and is trying to save clock.

if they do it in reverse, they at least get a yard or two running. and then they look at passing if AZ takes a TO. and maybe they run again.

it was just so obvious that they were going to maybe try a two minute offense and gauge their decision on the success of the first play. it was very timid. and for a team that had turned momentum wasn't earning any confidence points with his players.

he kind of has a jauronian "i'm getting outcoached right now, i'm not sure what to do." auro. except he isn't so stoic about it facially that you know he's doing it.

Skooby
10-15-2012, 12:01 PM
You can't set up the pass when your QB can't really pass for more than 20 yards. The longest pass for the Bills wasn't thrown by Fitz, which is pretty F-in weak.

cookie G
10-15-2012, 12:10 PM
But I want to illustrate why I feel Chan just doesn’t get it sometimes. (And no, this isn't the horrible wildcat pass play call).

Again...look to the top of the screen15933

You have 2 DB's 12 and 15 yards away, running backwards, and an LB that isn't going to get outside fast enough.

Throw him (Spiller) the ball.

It couldn't have been drawn up any better. Those are the opportunities you kill to have for your RB that runs a 4.2 40.

I remember as the play was happening, watching Spiller move out on his own and thinking..."there it is they've got him outside by himself."

Why he chose to throw into tight coverage 40 yards down the field is beyond me.

DraftBoy
10-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Again...look to the top of the screen15933

You have 2 DB's 12 and 15 yards away, running backwards, and an LB that isn't going to get outside fast enough.

Throw him (Spiller) the ball.

It couldn't have been drawn up any better. Those are the opportunities you kill to have for your RB that runs a 4.2 40.

I remember as the play was happening, watching Spiller move out on his own and thinking..."there it is they've got him outside by himself."

Why he chose to throw into tight coverage 40 yards down the field is beyond me.

Perfect screen grab and explanation. You have the down, distance, and defense you want here. Give it to Spiller and at worst its 10 yards and a first down.

trapezeus
10-15-2012, 12:20 PM
is a wildcat QB taught to read this, though? i'm just asking. isn't he pretty much, throw it deep, or throw it away?

i think the analysis is spot on, i just don't know if a wildcat QB is really taught to look at the options. which sounds idiotic, i know, but at game speed, and to simplify things, i'd think you'd tell him to drop back and let it go.

The King
10-15-2012, 12:30 PM
is a wildcat QB taught to read this, though? i'm just asking. isn't he pretty much, throw it deep, or throw it away?

i think the analysis is spot on, i just don't know if a wildcat QB is really taught to look at the options. which sounds idiotic, i know, but at game speed, and to simplify things, i'd think you'd tell him to drop back and let it go.

IMO a wildcat QB should have one read if it isnt there tuck and run.

RedEyE
10-15-2012, 12:49 PM
So Gailey says this play is meant to be thrown down the middle of the field (and that's the one read Smith should focus on). Meaning a blown play obviously as both downfield receivers are 5 yards apart from one another starting 10 yards down the field.

So that begs the question, why are the receivers bunched on the same side of the field? Peterson is actually covering Stevie Johnson. If Donald Jones actually runs this route down the middle of the field as it is intended, Peterson can't make that catch.

I see Spiller open in the flat but that is not the intended receiver for this play and Spiller becomes obsolete. B. Smith should have tucked this ball and run as D. Jones ran a bad route.

RedEyE
10-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Here's the whole play. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000079699/Peterson-15-yard-INT-return

Watch how Peterson reads the ball and breaks away from Stevie for D. Jones.

RedEyE
10-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Another thing I just noticed about that play. Watch from :22 seconds. Despite running a bad route, Donald Jones actually has the defender beat and it looks to me that the defender puts a hand on his jersey, slowing the route and which forces D Jones to get his legs tangled up. The ball was where it needed to be.

This should have been pass interference.