PDA

View Full Version : I'm glad Shawn Merriman is back.

BertSquirtgum
10-15-2012, 10:26 PM
I don't think he should have ever been cut.

http://www.shawnemerriman.com/

Monday, October 15, 2012 Grateful To Be Back With The Bills!

First of all, words cannot express the joy I feel to be back with the Buffalo Bills. I feel extremely blessed to be back with this organization and my teammates. Fans in buffalo are very supportive – they have an unconditional love for the team. They expect a lot but they support us no matter what.

Being out of football for these weeks has been tough.. It has seemed like forever… I look forward not only to doing something special for the organization, but I also want to do something special for this city. I especially want to thank the Bills organization and my teammates for the way they brought me back in with open arms. Today was truly a special day that I will never forget because of these special friends.

During my time off, I spent some time in South Florida and also in San Diego. I trained every day hoping for the chance to contribute to the game I love. I didn’t expect to be so lucky to have the chance to come back to the Bills but I am very thankful. In addition to training, I spent time with my son and focused on giving to those less fortunate than myself. In San Diego, I spent time with various charitable organizations, one of which was the Alpha Project that I started working with when I was a rookie. They do great work fighting homelessness. I have assisted them with raising money and helping in other ways over the years. It was great to re-connect with them.

I have been preparing for my annual coat drive at the University of Maryland. I also coached some high school kids to help them get a head start in football. I always enjoy working with up-and-coming young players to help them get to the next level.

In addition to the time I spent training and doing charity work, I have had a chance to reflect on how much I love the game of football… I knew that when I got my next shot, I would not take any minute for granted.

Thank you Bills!

Skooby
10-15-2012, 10:31 PM
He should have some gas left in the tank being untouched / bruised for several months. I'm proud he's back & hope his voice becomes a call for the defense to become great.

Mr. Miyagi
10-15-2012, 10:48 PM
If nothing else, he will bring some fire back to this team. Mario isn't a firey guy. We need someone like Merriman.

NOT THE DUDE...
10-16-2012, 12:52 AM
we need his power to set the edge, and his emotional energy. i cant stress how important it is to have guys like that on a football team...

jamze132
10-16-2012, 03:09 AM
We need him to beat the **** out of more stupid celebrity chicks!

MTBillsFan
10-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Never should have been cut in the first place! It was kinda like Christmas yesterday afternoon. He has a motor and voice!

BillsFever21
10-16-2012, 04:21 PM
He should have some gas left in the tank being untouched / bruised for several months. I'm proud he's back & hope his voice becomes a call for the defense to become great.

He might make it a month or so without getting injured now. If he's lucky he will make it the rest of the season since we're already 6 games in. Even that's a stretch.

This guy should already have plenty of gas left in the tank to begin with. In 3 out of his last 4 seasons he played in a total of 9 games with one sack. The one season he actually did play 14 games in he only had 4 sacks. Since then he was only able to suit up for 8 games in two years and had one sack.

If he had that much left in the tank he would've made the team to start the season and surely somebody else would've picked him up. If not for the Bills he probably would've been out of the NFL a couple years ago.

BillsFever21
10-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Never should have been cut in the first place! It was kinda like Christmas yesterday afternoon. He has a motor and voice!

So we should've kept a guy with a 7 million dollar or so salary who only played 8 games in the past two years and hasn't had a productive season in 4 years? At least by cutting him we were able to sign him for cheaper.

Quit living in the past. This isn't the Shawn Merriman of 6 years ago. I know many had hoped for it when we originally signed him and he played in 5 games in a year and a half with us. He averaged close to two million dollars a game that he played for us. Not a bad deal at all.

better days
10-16-2012, 04:29 PM
We need him to beat the **** out of more stupid celebrity chicks!

Well, I would like to see him beat the **** out of a certain Supermodels husband myself.

BertSquirtgum
10-16-2012, 05:58 PM
He might make it a month or so without getting injured now. If he's lucky he will make it the rest of the season since we're already 6 games in. Even that's a stretch.

This guy should already have plenty of gas left in the tank to begin with. In 3 out of his last 4 seasons he played in a total of 9 games with one sack. The one season he actually did play 14 games in he only had 4 sacks. Since then he was only able to suit up for 8 games in two years and had one sack.

If he had that much left in the tank he would've made the team to start the season and surely somebody else would've picked him up. If not for the Bills he probably would've been out of the NFL a couple years ago.

He had achilles surgery in the spring. It took takeo 2 years to get back to form from the same surgery. So, no he shouldn't have a ton left in the tank at this point and time.

BertSquirtgum
10-16-2012, 05:59 PM
So we should've kept a guy with a 7 million dollar or so salary who only played 8 games in the past two years and hasn't had a productive season in 4 years? At least by cutting him we were able to sign him for cheaper.

Quit living in the past. This isn't the Shawn Merriman of 6 years ago. I know many had hoped for it when we originally signed him and he played in 5 games in a year and a half with us. He averaged close to two million dollars a game that he played for us. Not a bad deal at all.

He already got paid 4 million this year.

BertSquirtgum
10-16-2012, 06:15 PM
He had achilles surgery in the spring. It took takeo 2 years to get back to form from the same surgery. So, no he shouldn't have a ton left in the tank at this point and time.

Surgery in the fall.

kishoph
10-17-2012, 04:06 AM
I'm glad he's back and I think he can have an impact on the team, but I also think that is depending on how the Bills decide to use him, if they are bringing him in to strictly be a DE (Merriman himself recently "tweeted" that he is not a DE in today's NFL), I'm not even sure he'd be activated for games. I think the best way to use him, would be as a LB and put him out there in pass situations. His experience alone should make him a better option than Moats, the way he's been playing and Bradham who is still very raw. I also agree with others that hopefully he can breath some fire into this defense.