X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    • Jan 2009

The Truth About Mario Williams

So who is Mario William, A top DE in the NFL or Fools Gold?

Assuming that most readers are in Buffalo, I would venture out and say that many of you have only watched the highlight reals but not the actual games. So what is there to know about Mario Williams? Well lets look at the History:

He was drafted in 2006 ahead of Reggie Bush. That year he totaled 4.5 sacks not a very impressive number but he showed enough - or at least more than Reggie Bush- to justify being selected ahead of him. The following year in 2007 he totaled 14 Sacks and looked to becoming the part of dominant DE.

Here is his 2007 Season recap: 14 Sacks
    - 8 of the his 14 sacks came in 3 Games: Den, KC, Tenn ( which had a combined .563 win percentage & one playoff team)
    - he register a sack in 9 out of 16 games
    - no sack in 7 games

2008 Season recap: 12 Sacks
    -9 out of his 12 sacks came in 4 games: Pitt, Ind, Mia, Jac (35-25 combined record and 3 playoff teams)
    -Did not register a sack in 9 games

2009 Season recap: 9 Sacks
    - only 1 game with multiple sacks: Seattle
    - 7 games without a sack

2010 Season recap: 8.5 Sacks
    - 5 out of 8.5 sacks came in 2 games: Wash, NYJ ( .563 win %)
    - 6 games without a sack
    - played in 13 games

2011 Season: 5 Sacks
    - played 5 games

Other Observations:
    - More sacks on Grass
    - More sacks vs AFC opponents outside own devision
    - More sacks in Wins vs Loses
    - December is his best month & September is his worst
    - More sacks at Home

Conclusion:

Mario Williams is an elite talent with above average production. He produces well against both good and bad opponents however he tends to rack up sacks. Often times, he will disappear for long stretches of time which may go on for a few games. In his career, he has only had 2 very good double digit sack seasons. Further, his best season was 5 years and 2 injuries ago. There is little doubt that he will produce something for the Bills however its unlikely that we will see the Mario Williams of 2007. Overall, Mario Williams is an above player that is a notch above Aaron Schobel. At this point in his career, Mario has recorded 56.5 sacks in 88 games or .64 sacks per game which is slightly above Aaron Schobel's .56 sacks per game (had 78 sacks in 133 games). Comparatively, when looking at future HOF Jarred Allen who has 109 sacks in 131 games or .83 sacks per game -which is only 2% behind the great Reggie White who got a sack in 85% of his games- it become apparent that Mario Williams has far more in common with Schobel than Jarred Allen.
    Please Make Sense
  • Mike
    • Jan 2009

Re: The Truth About Mario Williams

What the Bills need, what they really really need:

One thing: Constant Pressure. Sack stats are good, but constant pressure is even better. If Mario could do this much, than it was worth getting him, otherwise whats the his value if he has 20 great snaps in the whole season? I would rather see, a 0 sack season with 10 pressures per game, than 25 sacks and no pressures.
    Please Make Sense

Comment

• jamze132
      Don’t hate…
      • Jun 2003

I would rather see LBs blitzing to assist all of the lineman.

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        What the Bills need, what they really really need:

One thing: Constant Pressure. Sack stats are good, but constant pressure is even better. If Mario could do this much, than it was worth getting him, otherwise whats the his value if he has 20 great snaps in the whole season? I would rather see, a 0 sack season with 10 pressures per game, than 25 sacks and no pressures.
        I was listening to Pat Kirwin on SIRIUS Radio yesterday. Talking about the Bills Cards game, he praised the Bills defense & said the pressure by the Bills was relentless.

Comment

• casdhf
          • Jul 2002

Whether he pants out or not, I think it kills the "Bills dont want to spend" argument. That'll be important for future FAs.
          Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
          cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• coastal
            Legendary Zoner
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            Conclusion:

Mario Williams is an elite talent with above average production.

Comment

• mysticsoto
              Too sober for this...
              • Apr 2004

It'd be nice if other things were tracked however - like quarterback hurries, collapsing a pocket, batted down passes...some are intangibles, some are just not tracked. But let's not forget that he also has a good cast around him. Wannstadt needs to make adjustments if & when they are not getting through against a really good team. With this Dline, if they are ineffective, I definitely blame the coaches here.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                Skoobasaurus-Rex
                • Oct 2011

He's been invisible at times, so your conclusion is a pipedream (Pipe being a crackpipe).

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by casdhf View Post
                  Whether he pants out or not, I think it kills the "Bills dont want to spend" argument. That'll be important for future FAs.
                  I disagree.

Doing something once doesn't negate the dozens of times that quality Bills players were allowed to walk over money, or the times that they underbid on FA's from other teams.

Also, remember when Ralph went big for Dockery in 2007 and it blew up in his face? It was 5 years before he spent big again. If Mario doesn't produce THIS year, Ralph could go right back into cheapskate mode.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Blondie
                    Smarter than most men here :-)
                    • Aug 2012

wow .. this was an interesting thread .. so the man started out pretty strong but over the years lost it??

I guess being our for 2 years injured doesn't help either ...
                    I was banned for calling Yardie a coward, by DB, in a tread about women’s issues happening right now in America. Nothing better than republican men silencing women’s voices, especially in the Buffalo Spin zone!!

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                      Skoobasaurus-Rex
                      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Blondie View Post
                      wow .. this was an interesting thread .. so the man started out pretty strong but over the years lost it??
                      That makes him elite, get it ?

Comment

• Blondie
                        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                        That makes him elite, get it ?
                        that makes him elite??

No I don't get it .. the way I see it that makes him an elite pussy!
                        I was banned for calling Yardie a coward, by DB, in a tread about women’s issues happening right now in America. Nothing better than republican men silencing women’s voices, especially in the Buffalo Spin zone!!

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                          Skoobasaurus-Rex
                          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Blondie View Post
                          that makes him elite??

No I don't get it .. the way I see it that makes him an elite pussy!
                          LOL, well Mike feels it makes him elite.

Comment

• Blondie
                            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                            LOL, well Mike feels it makes him elite.
                            When I think of an elite Defensive player I think John Lynch, Ronde Barber .. guys like that! Not only are the AWESOME on the field but also off the field. They bring inspiration with them! (I know I only listed 2 BUC players but come on they were AWESOME players)

Look at Warren Sapp .. freaking loser that he is .. when he was traded to Oakland was had I think ONE good year. He had a mouth that was it. Plus he was an ass off the field. He is not an "elite" player .. he is an assclown.

Hell even Ray f'in Lewis! I hate that guy but I tell you what his presence is KNOWN on that field.

Mario .. he just doesn't do anything for me. I do not see him ever as an elite player. He had 2 good years .. that does not make one an "elite" player in my book. He is 27 for GOD sake .. BRING IT *****! He needs to step up hard! LOL .. kind of makes me think of that Will I.A.M song YOU CAN GO HARD or YOU CAN GO HOME!!

GO HOME MARIO cuz you ain't bringing it HARD! lol
                            Last edited by Blondie; 10-16-2012, 09:12 AM.

Comment

• HAMMER
                              I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                              • Jul 2003

If you think Sapp wasn't an elite player you know nothing about football, don't let personal bias cloud your judgement. Back to the kitchen where you belong.

Comment

Working...
                              X