PDA

View Full Version : Premature Speculation -- Mike Vick

Lexwhat
10-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Philly is in a bit of a bind right now. There does seem to be the possibility of Mike Vick losing his starting job (either via a coaching decision or via injury) to Nick Foles.

If Philly is successful with Foles under center, you can bet that Vick will be traded away. No team is gonna keep that contract for a backup QB.

If so, and Chan Gailey is still our head coach next year, I would bet my last dollar that Vick will most likely land with the Bills. There's only a few other teams that have glaring needs at QB -- Bills, KC Chiefs, Arizona Cardinals.... Jacksonville, Tennessee, Cleveland, and NY Jets could potentially be added to the list of "needing a QB."

In all honesty, out of those 7 teams, the Bills seem like the best fit. If we gave Vince Young a chance, I don't see why Vick isn't a possibility. Even though I don't "love" Vick, I think he would be more successful here with our O-Line (better than Philly's) and he can certainly throw better than Fitzpatrick.

I am not calling Vick a sure-fire franchise QB, but I think Chan Gailey can certainly win with him.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-16-2012, 12:19 PM
No thanks. They will draft one next year.

Lexwhat
10-16-2012, 12:25 PM
No thanks. They will draft one next year.

Never said we shouldn't draft one. Right now, we have absolutely nothing at the QB position. Having 2 potential options (Vick, plus a rookie who can sit and learn) is better than having just 1 potential option (a rookie who starts right away).

Don't we ever learn anything from putting all our eggs in 1 basket and counting on rookies to make us successful??

IlluminatusUIUC
10-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Er, No. I thought Vick had learned his lesson and matured as a player but he's back into old habits. He's a turnover machine and a coach killer.

Lexwhat
10-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Look at what the Broncos did this year. They signed Peyton Manning and gave him a big contract, and then went out and drafted Brock Osweiler in the 2nd Round.

The Redskins drafted Kirk Cousins in the 4th Round after taking RGIII just 2 days prior.

Russell Wilson was drafted in the 3rd Round even after all the money the Seahawks gave to Matt Flynn.

Nick Foles was taken in the 3rd Round this year.

This is what smart teams do. All great moves.

THRILLHO
10-16-2012, 12:34 PM
I had this same thought. The way he has been playing over the last 18 months, no way.

Lexwhat
10-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Er, No. I thought Vick had learned his lesson and matured as a player but he's back into old habits. He's a turnover machine and a coach killer.

Again, worse than Fitzpatrick?? I don't know if he's a coach killer. He practically saved Andy Reid's job 2 years ago.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Again, worse than Fitzpatrick?? I don't know if he's a coach killer. He practically saved Andy Reid's job 2 years ago.

In a lot of ways, yes he is worse than Fitz. He has the same inaccuracy issues AND he's injury prone AND he fumbles AND he takes sacks AND he's not a fit for this offense.

RedEyE
10-16-2012, 01:15 PM
Young Vick with fresh legs: :superman:

Current Vick: :flush:

Generalissimus Gibby
10-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Dog gone, that would be arrrful

BertSquirtgum
10-16-2012, 01:34 PM
If the Bills don't make the playoffs Chan Gailey won't be the coach next year.

RedEyE
10-16-2012, 01:42 PM
If the Bills don't make the playoffs Chan Gailey won't be the coach next year.

I actually don't believe this to be true...unless Nix gets axed....or unless the defense fails to improve from here drastically and Gailey refuses to slap Wanny around.

delectrolux
10-16-2012, 02:10 PM
I don't know if Vick kills coaches... Dogs on the other hand.

Night Train
10-16-2012, 02:37 PM
But,but,but..it's Mike Vick. I've HEARD of him !

turnover machine..

YardRat
10-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Oh, Hell No.

Novacane
10-16-2012, 07:02 PM
No thanks. We already have a turnover machine at QB

Oaf
10-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Wish we would have had him in 09'. Wouldn't take him at this point.

TigerJ
10-16-2012, 09:33 PM
The problem with Michael Vick is that I don't think he's particularly coachable. He does what he does, and he's doing the same things now that he did as a rookie, including making the same mistakes. The only thing that's going to change is that as he gets older his physical skills are going to erode and he's going to become more prone to injury form alll the hits he takes. No thank you.

Mouldsie
10-17-2012, 01:24 AM
Depending on league demand and his contract demands I'd give him a look.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-17-2012, 10:42 AM
The problem with Michael Vick is that I don't think he's particularly coachable. He does what he does, and he's doing the same things now that he did as a rookie, including making the same mistakes. The only thing that's going to change is that as he gets older his physical skills are going to erode and he's going to become more prone to injury form alll the hits he takes. No thank you.

Exactly, that's why he's a "coach killer." Fans see him pull off these ridiculous feats like his comeback against the Giants and they think "This guy can take us to the Super Bowl!" Two weeks later, he's chucking a poorly-thrown pass into double coverage and complain that he's not being coached properly.

Just look at Juan Castillo. Dude got thrown under the bus for having "only" the 13th ranked defense when Vick has left them with a -9 turnover differential. The guy has 9 fumbles and 8 picks in 6 games!

OpIv37
10-17-2012, 11:10 AM
In a lot of ways, yes he is worse than Fitz. He has the same inaccuracy issues AND he's injury prone AND he fumbles AND he takes sacks AND he's not a fit for this offense.

So what you're saying is.... that Buddy Nix is already putting a bug in Philly's ear about a potential trade?

imbondz
10-17-2012, 11:46 AM
by the way, hilarious thread title

IlluminatusUIUC
10-17-2012, 12:00 PM
So what you're saying is.... that Buddy Nix is already putting a bug in Philly's ear about a potential trade?

*shudders*

Bill Cody
10-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Russell Wilson was drafted in the 3rd Round even after all the money the Seahawks gave to Matt Flynn.

I'd be kicking the tires on Matt Flynn. I think he has a chance to be pretty good.

Mr. Miyagi
10-17-2012, 03:02 PM
I'd be kicking the tires on Matt Flynn. I think he has a chance to be pretty good.
Nope. No chance.

- - - Updated - - -

by the way, hilarious thread title
There's a pill for that.

Johnny Bugmenot
10-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Let's review.

Michael Vick is 32 years old and has spent 10 seasons in the NFL, most of them as starter, and one in jail. He's beat-up, past his prime and not particularly good anymore.

I say pass. I don't say that often about quarterbacks, but Vick is not worth the trouble.

Mr. Pink
10-17-2012, 04:10 PM
In 09 he was worth it. In 13 no.

He'd sell tickets though and some merch.

Business wise it would be a good plan to sign him, football wise not anymore.

TigerJ
10-18-2012, 08:14 PM
I think it would be a mistake for the Bills to try and trade for Vick. As has been observed on ESPN radio, Michael Vick is essentially the same QB he was when he came into the league. He has limited ability to make reads of the defense. When his primary receiver is covered, he may be able to go to his second receiver, but don't expect him to go through his progressions much more than that. Instead, he'll take off and run. Because he relies so much on his physical gifts, (ie. foot speed and running ability) he's going to take a lot of hits, and as he gets older he's going to become progressively more prone to injury and less able to heal quickly. Because he's something of a one trick pony, defensive gurus are getting better and better at taking away the few things he can do. I'd rather the Bills look for a QB who can be a multi-dimensional threat. The Bills are really set up to give a defense fits if they can find a QB who can take advantage of all the weapons Buffalo can put on the field at the same time. They lose all that if Vick is the QB.

Marcala12
10-18-2012, 09:32 PM
he's easily better than Fitz. The Vick that everyone says was so bad in Atlanta made the playoffs multiple times and made it to the NFC championship game. Not because he's so good, but because his running ability causes matchup problems and opened up running lanes for WArrick Dunn. Vick would be good for Spiller, and next year this team will be all about Spiller. I'd rather have a top 2 QB in the draft start right away, but if we miss out on that and draft a prospect who isn't ready, I'd go with Vick as a stop gap for sure, certainly over Fitz who has never and will never sniff the playoffs.

Skooby
10-18-2012, 09:39 PM
We won't pay Vick $16 Million, no way.