PDA

View Full Version : Owners make 50-50 offer.

YankeeInRaleigh
10-16-2012, 02:24 PM
Dammit players, freaking take the offer!!!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=643558&cmpid=fb

JATMtheJATM
10-16-2012, 02:32 PM
sounds like they might...

OpIv37
10-16-2012, 02:48 PM
I'll be shocked if this actually happens.

And seriously, as soon as this CBA situation gets resolved, Bettman needs to be fired. This **** is old.

YankeeInRaleigh
10-16-2012, 02:56 PM
I'll be shocked if this actually happens.

And seriously, as soon as this CBA situation gets resolved, Bettman needs to be fired. This **** is old.

agreed

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-17-2012, 05:21 AM
What a great move by the owners. The majority of fans were on the players side and looked like things were going nowhere. BLAM, the owners now have everyone's support as the "hero" and if the players turn this down the tables will turn on them. I guess that is why they are the billionaires in the billionaires v. millionaires fight.

OpIv37
10-17-2012, 01:19 PM
big surprise: Donald Fehr doesn't like the offer.

http://www.nj.com/rangers/index.ssf/2012/10/nhl_lockout_update_donald_fehr_1.html

OpIv37
10-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Also I don't know why this whole thing is playing out publicly. This all should have been handled behind closed doors.

DraftBoy
10-17-2012, 02:14 PM
big surprise: Donald Fehr doesn't like the offer.

http://www.nj.com/rangers/index.ssf/2012/10/nhl_lockout_update_donald_fehr_1.html

Sound more and more like a PR move by Bettman more than an owner he could get agreement on.

Skooby
10-17-2012, 05:30 PM
F-Fehr.

OpIv37
10-17-2012, 08:09 PM
I was listening to NHL Radio on XM on my way home from work.

They said the players may give the owners a counter-proposal tomorrow. I'm sure the owners put some things in their offer on which they are willing to compromise, so if this happens, and the players' offer is reasonably close to the owners' offer, it's a good sign.

I'm not getting my hopes up until something is on paper, but I have to say that this is much more progress than I thought we'd see. Once they canceled the first two weeks of games, I pretty much assumed that meant no season.

YankeeInRaleigh
10-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Once they canceled the first two weeks of games, I pretty much assumed that meant no season.

Same here, coming from the viewpoint of thinking the season was toast, I'm pretty happy to hear them this close together. Hopefully Fehr is just posing, and the players accept this with a few tweaks, and we get a season.

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-18-2012, 05:23 AM
Nice summation by Kevin Allen: If season is lost, players lose $1.8B in salaries in one season over a fight totaling $1.6B over six years.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/columnist/allen/2012/10/17/nhl-lockout-players-must-choose-principle-or-pay/1640255/

DraftBoy
10-18-2012, 07:38 AM
Nice summation by Kevin Allen: If season is lost, players lose $1.8B in salaries in one season over a fight totaling $1.6B over six years.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/columnist/allen/2012/10/17/nhl-lockout-players-must-choose-principle-or-pay/1640255/

Isn't that a bit misleading since most of these guys are either playing abroad or in lesser leagues?

JATMtheJATM
10-18-2012, 03:31 PM
talks broke off today,they are further apart then they were before the proposal.
also, bettman said if no deal is done by november, no more winter classics.

OpIv37
10-18-2012, 03:34 PM
talks broke off today,they are further apart then they were before the proposal.
also, bettman said if no deal is done by november, no more winter classics.

no more winter classic THIS year, or no more winter classicS, meaning no more ever?

DraftBoy
10-18-2012, 03:40 PM
NHLPA apparently submitted 4 counter proposals, Bettman said he couldn't be more disappointed. Strap in boys its going to be a very long lockout.

ckg927
10-18-2012, 05:08 PM
agreed

SECONDED!

- - - Updated - - -

NHLPA apparently submitted 4 counter proposals, Bettman said he couldn't be more disappointed. Strap in boys its going to be a very long lockout.

Or this thing is going to play out like the NBA lockout did...they're just putting on a show for us, and we poor saps are lapping it up.

Skooby
10-18-2012, 09:58 PM
Mother F-er, I'm go crazy when I don't see ice a flying.

DraftBoy
10-19-2012, 07:22 AM
Or this thing is going to play out like the NBA lockout did...they're just putting on a show for us, and we poor saps are lapping it up.

Don't know how closely you followed the NBA lockout, but this isn't following the same pattern or has even close to the same issues.

ckg927
10-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Don't know how closely you followed the NBA lockout, but this isn't following the same pattern or has even close to the same issues.

Maybe not, DB, but it has the same smell to it. "I want to talk....Screw you...We're done...." etc. ad nauseaum. Oh, and one more thing: The same law firm that is handling the owners side of the negotiations for the NHL did the same thing for the NBA. And the NFL. AND Major League Baseball. It's the first time ever that one firm has handled it for all 4 major sports leagues.

Consider that story Deadspin released earlier this week(where it was reported that Frank Luntz was helping the owners craft their latest batch of talking points). You'd HAVE to think the owners came up with that Hail Mary of a plan partly to spin the opinion their way...and damned if it isn't working, to a point.

DraftBoy
10-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Maybe not, DB, but it has the same smell to it. "I want to talk....Screw you...We're done...." etc. ad nauseaum. Oh, and one more thing: The same law firm that is handling the owners side of the negotiations for the NHL did the same thing for the NBA. And the NFL. AND Major League Baseball. It's the first time ever that one firm has handled it for all 4 major sports leagues.

Consider that story Deadspin released earlier this week(where it was reported that Frank Luntz was helping the owners craft their latest batch of talking points). You'd HAVE to think the owners came up with that Hail Mary of a plan partly to spin the opinion their way...and damned if it isn't working, to a point.

Oh yea it was clear after the intial shock of the offer wore off that the owners knew this deal wasn't going to pass the mustard and were doing purely for PR.

ckg927
10-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Oh yea it was clear after the intial shock of the offer wore off that the owners knew this deal wasn't going to pass the mustard and were doing purely for PR.

I think we're on the same wavelength. And I also think we're fed up with the crap on BOTH sides. So much so that I really want to see the NHL implode spectacularly. They're doing a good enough job of it on their own without us helping the process along.

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-21-2012, 06:49 AM
I am sensing that they have to meet somewhere between 50-50 split and the players getting all the money from the contracts they signed.

DraftBoy
10-21-2012, 09:11 AM
I am sensing that they have to meet somewhere between 50-50 split and the players getting all the money from the contracts they signed.

I would assume so as well, but its going to have be a gradual roll back, maybe not the one the players lined out but I cant see Fehr going straight to a 50-50 split.

Night Train
10-21-2012, 04:33 PM
Both sides can spin all they want. I still read it as " **** You, fans ! " .

Is there a more mismanaged sports league than the NHL ?

DraftBoy
10-21-2012, 05:15 PM

Is there a more mismanaged sports league than the NHL ?

No, though the NBA tries to compete.

ckg927
10-22-2012, 10:26 AM

It's time NHL fans said "F YOU RIGHT BACK!"

OpIv37
10-22-2012, 10:33 AM
The more I read about this, the less sympathetic I am to the owners.

Don't get me wrong- I still think the players are making demands that are out of touch with the financial reality of the league. But the latest proposal by the owners was nothing more than a PR move. There is no way they could have realistically accepted a proposal where the players make their salaries promised under the old CBA this year by taking less money a few years down the road. That's stupid. And, some of the owners made big signings right at the end of the old CBA, apparently hoping that the salaries would get reduced under the new CBA. And, I don't know if this is 100% true, but I read several places that the players were willing to play under the old CBA so a deal could be worked out while the games were still happening, but the owners locked them out anyway. Seriously?

Both sides are acting like complete dicks. Don Fehr is an ******* who is only out for himself, and Bettman is an incompetent ***** who shouldn't be allowed to manage a Wal-Mart, let alone a major pro sports league.

DraftBoy
10-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Btw the NHL owners are still getting ALL the TV money this year no matter if a single game is played or not.

OpIv37
10-23-2012, 11:15 AM
Btw the NHL owners are still getting ALL the TV money this year no matter if a single game is played or not.

well I guess now we know why Bettman still has a job. The TV contract sucks when there is a season, but it's pretty damn good for the owners when they don't have to do anything but cash the check. Conflict of interest? Nah.