PDA

View Full Version : Jackson - Spiller

kishoph
10-18-2012, 03:24 AM
I am not making this thread to bash F. Jackson or to say trade him, but just to show some stats that point to why Spiller should be getting the majority of the carries between the two. IMO at least 3 to every 1.

First is the average, Spiller is averaging 7.6 yards a carry (60 att.), Jackson's averaging 2.9 yards (44 att). Jackson's longest run is 11 yds. yards, Spiller's longest run is 56 yds. and he also has 11 runs for more than 10 yds. Jackson has 1 rushing TD, Spiller has 4 rushing TD's and 1 receiving TD. Both have lost 2 fumbles. A knock on Spiller is he can not run between the tackles, with 28 carries through the middle this year, Spiller is averaging 9.1 yds. per carry, his 2nd highest average, only behind carries to the left (9.3 yds). Spiller's rushing average (7.6) is at least 2 yds. better than any RB in the league that has at least 20 carries, that is pretty damn impressive to say the least.

Jackson's and Spiller's receiving stats are very similar, other than Spiller's average is about 1 yd. more (10.8 - 9.4), but I believe that Spiller has the ability to take it to the house any time.
Pass protection, Jackson is definitely the better blocker, but Spiller is much improved from where he was just last year and seems to be getting better weekly.

Bottom line is I think that Spiller can become "great" and leave his mark on this game, he has grown so much since his rookie season, he has become much more than just a speedy back, he has learned to be patient and use his blockers to the fullest, this to go with his natural ability and instincts have made him a special back.

I really don't know why Gailey is holding back from giving him more carries. I think it may have to do with not wanting Jackson and the team the feeling that Jackson is being demoted, that might not go over well with the team. Whatever the reason is, it has to end and Spiller needs to start getting the ball much more.

As I said from the beginning, this is not to put down Jackson, who I think is vital to this team, but to show why I think Spiller should be the featured back.

casdhf
10-18-2012, 05:55 AM
Freddie gets the tough yards though. I trust him on a 3rd and 2 more than CJ.

OpIv37
10-18-2012, 09:24 AM
The only thing I will say is this: do you really think Spiller would be putting up those numbers if he were getting ~25 carries a game? Without Jackson to take some of the workload, he'll be too tired and beat up to keep up that pace.

The King
10-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Fred is also an awesome blocker, I imagine they want to keep passing plays disguised as well which is why he's getting the rock more.

alnilla
10-18-2012, 09:52 AM
They just need to put them both on the field at the same time. Put one in the slot both are good at catching passes. Keep the defenses guessing. CJ should get the majority of the carries and Freddie should be the go to guy in short yardage. Its not that hard to figure out.

The last buffalo fan
10-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Stevie, Chandler, TJ, Spiller and Jackson, should remain in all ofensive plays. If there is a need for a change, I'll take TJ out for the extra TE or a different WR.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-18-2012, 10:37 AM
I really don't know why Gailey is holding back from giving him more carries. I think it may have to do with not wanting Jackson and the team the feeling that Jackson is being demoted, that might not go over well with the team. Whatever the reason is, it has to end and Spiller needs to start getting the ball much more.

I think it's because Spiller's shoulder isn't 100%. He looked to be wincing after some of those hits against Arizona. Gailey can't just sit him because he's so valuable, but I think he's trying to limit his touches to let it heal.

kishoph
10-18-2012, 11:53 AM
The only thing I will say is this: do you really think Spiller would be putting up those numbers if he were getting ~25 carries a game? Without Jackson to take some of the workload, he'll be too tired and beat up to keep up that pace.

With 20 carries a game, he doesn't have to keep up numbers such as his average of over 7 yds, but the chances are that they would remain high, because he's gonna have more chances to break one. I'm not talking about giving him the ball 30 times, but there is no reason that he can't get around 20 carries a game (he's only had more than 16 carries once), he is not a frail little scat back. Spiller has not once shown any sign of wearing down as the game went on and has said himself, in interviews that he could handle a larger workload. Giving him 12 carries a game is foolish and giving another RB on the team more carries is even more foolish. As I said in the first and last sentence of my original post it's not about Jackson producing or not producing, or his value to the team, it's about giving Spiller more carries.

Typ0
10-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Both he and FJ should get a lot more carries...they should stop throwing the ball.