PDA

View Full Version : Jim Harbaugh just burned so many people.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-18-2012, 10:21 PM
The gambling line is San Francisco -7.5. San Francisco stops Seattle on a 4th down with a 7 point lead but get a safety on the play on penalties. They decline the penalty and the points to kneel the ball.

SOOOOO many burned gamblers right now

[http://www.zgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/trollface.jpg

Albany,n.y.
10-18-2012, 10:29 PM
A coach has no responsibility to the bettors. If he takes the penalty & Seattle gets an onside kick, scores a quick TD, gets another onside kick & kicks a field goal, he loses. If he takes the points off the board, he's guaranteed a win. The chances of losing may be almost impossible if he takes the points, but they are totally impossible if he takes the ball, although I wouldn't do that against the nut job in Tampa who if he ever tries the nonsense he pulled against the Giants in SF, he's likely to get a knuckle sandwich from Harbaugh.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-18-2012, 10:30 PM
A coach has no responsibility to the bettors. If he takes the penalty & Seattle gets an onside kick, scores a quick TD, gets another onside kick & kicks a field goal, he loses. If he takes the points off the board, he's guaranteed a win. The chances of losing may be almost impossible if he takes the points, but they are totally impossible if he takes the ball, although I wouldn't do that against the nut job in Tampa who if he ever tries the nonsense he pulled against the Giants in SF, he's likely to get a knuckle sandwich from Harbaugh.

It might be the smart play, but it's hilarious how many people just got screwed in Vegas.

Mr. Miyagi
10-18-2012, 10:34 PM
That's why they're called gamblers. That's the risk you take.

k-oneputt
10-18-2012, 10:35 PM
What about the people who had Seattle ?

I don't think they are to upset or "screwed". I think they are pretty damn happy right now.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-18-2012, 10:49 PM
I wish my coach was good enough that people only got pissed off that he didn't win a game enough to cover the spread.

Tatonka
10-18-2012, 10:53 PM
i had seattle.. he saved my ass.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-18-2012, 10:57 PM
https://twitter.com/sportsguy33/statuses/259132577699467264

cookie G
10-18-2012, 10:58 PM
What exactly was the penalty? Did they call it a high low block or an illegal block in the back? All I kept hearing Mayock saying was high low. It wasn't low, unless anything below the shoulder pads is considered low.

If it was, that's a funky call, or the rule is written pretty strange.

Skooby
10-18-2012, 11:26 PM
Seattle wasn't going to win this game, so betting on them was a sucker bet to begin with.

Tatonka
10-18-2012, 11:41 PM
that sounds like the words of someone who doesnt gamble or if you do, you dont win much.. underdogs are hitting at over 62% this year.. betting is not at all about who will win the game.. but who will cover the spread.. my bet was based on the fact that both teams have strong defenses and allow few points.. so if its going to be a low scoring game with few points, you take the team getting more than a touchdown.. and it proved to be the right side.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-19-2012, 12:04 AM
that sounds like the words of someone who doesnt gamble or if you do, you dont win much.. underdogs are hitting at over 62% this year.. betting is not at all about who will win the game.. but who will cover the spread.. my bet was based on the fact that both teams have strong defenses and allow few points.. so if its going to be a low scoring game with few points, you take the team getting more than a touchdown.. and it proved to be the right side.

The rule I was always told is never take a road dog unless you are convinced they can win outright.

Skooby
10-19-2012, 12:35 AM

I took the under in tonight game for this instance. Both SF / SH ranked 2/3 for 3 and outs so this was an easy choice. You don't bet against road teams unless there is a good chance they can win outright, regardless of the spread.

Beebe
10-19-2012, 12:37 AM
I'm in the football pool at work and only a few people chose Seattle and I was one of them, So I'm happy :) thank you 49ers.

Tatonka
10-19-2012, 12:45 AM
based on the bull**** i have seen seattle has pulled off this season, it wouldnt have suprised me to see them win, but i was simply betting that they wouldnt lose by more than a td.. i couldnt convince myself to take the under at 37.5.. seemed too low.. i rarely touch something under 40.

imbondz
10-19-2012, 12:46 AM
https://twitter.com/sportsguy33/statuses/259132577699467264

lol

YardRat
10-19-2012, 05:47 AM
What exactly was the penalty? Did they call it a high low block or an illegal block in the back? All I kept hearing Mayock saying was high low. It wasn't low, unless anything below the shoulder pads is considered low.

If it was, that's a funky call, or the rule is written pretty strange.

My understanding is it was called an illegal chop block, hitting a player low while he is already engaged. I agree with your assessment of the call/rule...the block looked OK to me.

RedEyE
10-19-2012, 06:30 AM
I didn't see the game but I'm not sure why he wouldn't take the safety and the points. SF would get the ball back anyway and could sit on it then.

RedEyE
10-19-2012, 06:40 AM
I don't think its the wrong call but its not necessarily the right one either...especially in a division game. Either way I see the 49ers coming out on top of this one.

But considering the playoff race and more specifically tie breakers leading to playoffs, there is such a thing called Strength of Victory or SOV.

It doesn't hurt to take the points in this game. After all its not like Seattle was going to make two scores in the last 40 seconds of the game.

MikeInRoch
10-19-2012, 07:58 AM
I didn't see the game but I'm not sure why he wouldn't take the safety and the points. SF would get the ball back anyway and could sit on it then.

Because you give Seattle an attempt for an on-sides kick. Taking the safety wins maybe 99% of the time. Not taking it wins absolutely 100% of the time. It's an easy call.

RedEyE
10-19-2012, 08:33 AM
Because you give Seattle an attempt for an on-sides kick. Taking the safety wins maybe 99% of the time. Not taking it wins absolutely 100% of the time. It's an easy call.

Seattle would have had to score twice in 40 seconds. What are the chances of obtaining two onside kicks? There is actually a greater chance of the two teams finding themselves looking for tie-breakers just before the playoffs this season. SOV might come back and haunt them ...just like Seattle might have scored twice in 40 seconds off two onside kicks.

Like I said, I don't think its the wrong but I don't necessarily think its the right one either. But I guess it is perhaps the safest. In the end I really don't think it would have mattered.

stuckincincy
10-19-2012, 08:40 AM

Yep. Even if SEA did the usual and punted, there's always a (slim) chance that SF mishandles the catch, or a SF player inadvertently comes in contact with it, making the ball live.

Mouldsie
10-19-2012, 12:33 PM
How did they get screwed?

IlluminatusUIUC
10-19-2012, 02:19 PM
How did they get screwed?

? I explained that. If Harbaugh took the points then San Francisco covers. Because he didn't, Seattle "won."

Mouldsie
10-19-2012, 02:30 PM
But why would he? They screwed themselves taking a bad bet.

trapezeus
10-19-2012, 02:37 PM
also kick returns are the least "safe" play for the players. as a couch nearing mid season, if you can avoid having one high collision play and substitute it with two knees, i think it's pretty easy to say, "look we won, let's take our injuries the way it is and not put us out to get one more injury and possibly keep them in it."

I hear what others are saying strength of victory possiblity down the road. Though i think seattle isn't as good as their record and i don't think pete carroll is a great coach. i think his team comes back to where they are later this year. and i think you'll seethe team struggle the next couple years based on his willingness to toss draft picks for players who haven't done anything for them. Marshawn is probably the only one that has done well.

Albany,n.y.
10-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Any losing bet is a bad bet & any winning bet is a good bet.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-19-2012, 03:28 PM

Jesus christ, why so serious? When Seattle got the ball back, down 7 with less than 2:00 and no timeouts, the only way S.F. bettors could win would be a defensive score. Then San Francisco actually got one, but the coach declined and they lost. I find it hilarious.

BillsFever21
10-19-2012, 03:38 PM
It cost my fantasy team 2 points. The SF Defense still got me 12 points and Gore gave me over 18 points so I can't complain. In a league where 4 of my 5 wins were decided by 7 points or less, and 3 of the wins were decided by 2 points or less hopefully it doesn't lose me the league. My loss was only by 8 points too. So basically all but one of my games have been close. I even won one of my games by 0.16 pts. We're talking an extra point or 2 more rushing/receiving yards difference in that game. It seems like every point counts for me lol.

cookie G
10-19-2012, 05:44 PM
Super Bowl Gambling memories

sorry no embed info

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KLqIUE1oFQwiAAlwT7w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTBrc3VyamVwBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQD?p=Super+Bowl+Gambling+Memories&vid=940433DC5970BAD4AA1B940433DC5970BAD4AA1B&l=00%3A39&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DV.4791470558937236%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bing.com%2Fvideos%2Fwatch%2Fvideo%2Fgambling-moment%2F17wps6m6a&tit=Gambling+Moment&c=0&sigr=120854vgm&fr=yfp-t-701&tt=b