X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

Fitz and the (lack of) deep ball - digging deeper into some stats

Some interesting stuff here that I'll write more about next week. One part may surprise you. The other will not. All part of my Football Friday Flurry:

Western New York’s number one source for daily sports talk and play-by-play as the flagship station of the Bills and Sabres. Stream, read and download WGR 550 AM from any device on Audacy
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • ServoBillieves
    The Voice of Reason
    • Jul 2007

Re: Fitz and the (lack of) deep ball - digging deeper into some stats

Great as usual Coach. Didn't realize that "last of the undefeateds" stat as well. Falcons in the playoffs yes, but for them to go to the SB I'd be surprised, even though the stats are against me.
    Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
      • Sep 2012

The Falcons were 35:1 to win the Super Bowl in Vegas before the season. It kills me that I couldn't grab that.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• RedEyE
        • Jul 2002

Awesome stats comparison on Fitz, Sal. Looking forward to seeing more comparisons.

If you have (or can find the numbers) do you think you might add in receiver drops? My first thought when reading the stats you provided is that Fitz has the strength to throw downfield but his accuracy worsens with distance.

Also, I read a quote from Rich Gannon this past week that claimed a lot of Shotgun QBs develop lazy feet and he thought Fitz had fallen victim to this problem. Curious what you heard or what you might think concerning this claim?

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by RedEyE View Post
          Awesome stats comparison on Fitz, Sal. Looking forward to seeing more comparisons.

If you have (or can find the numbers) do you think you might add in receiver drops? My first thought when reading the stats you provided is that Fitz has the strength to throw downfield but his accuracy worsens with distance.

Also, I read a quote from Rich Gannon this past week that claimed a lot of Shotgun QBs develop lazy feet and he thought Fitz had fallen victim to this problem. Curious what you heard or what you might think concerning this claim?
          Im not Coach, but I heard the same thing Gannon said and he's dead on. There is a reason when you watch college kids they get a negative for playing in a mostly shotgun system. Their footwork is usually poor due to that. A traditional drop makes you shift your weight and get your feet under you, shotgun doesn't require that.
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• RedEyE
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
            Im not Coach, but I heard the same thing Gannon said and he's dead on. There is a reason when you watch college kids they get a negative for playing in a mostly shotgun system. Their footwork is usually poor due to that. A traditional drop makes you shift your weight and get your feet under you, shotgun doesn't require that.
            Is this why he tends to play better when in a hurry-up or 2 minute offense?

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by RedEyE View Post
              Is this why he tends to play better when in a hurry-up or 2 minute offense?
              Not necessairly, but its why he plays better in the short passing game. You can get away with a lot of mechanical flaws when the ball has to travel a shorter distance. When he needs touch, air, and velocity his mechanics need to be sound. That's the issue and that's why they brought in Lee.
              COMING SOON...

Comment

• imbondz
                Democrats are people too
                • Jan 2003

doesn't Fitz practice?
                My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by imbondz View Post
                  doesn't Fitz practice?
                  Yea, but practice is running plays more than it is fundamental work.
                  COMING SOON...

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

is it possible that he's blending the worst of what he's been taught with what comes natural to him? i mean i never thought the ball looked great coming out of fitz's hands, but he was making the right decision. even now, he looks like he's making hte right call.

but i wonder if he over thinks stuff during games and essentially feels like he has no idea how to put the touch he wants on the ball. Truth is, his run game is helping him a ton. imagine if the bills run game wasn't as effective as its been thus far? I think you see below losman/edwards numbers and offenses that simply don't move at all.

Comment

• mjt328
                      • May 2011

Not surprising in the slightest.

Fitz is definitely taking his shots down the field. But teams know he has virtually no chance of completing those passes. His accuracy on deep throws is awful and seems to get worse every week.
                      If Fitz takes 10 shots downfield, he will overthrow 4 of them, underthrow 4 of them and get picked 2 times.

In todays' NFL, defensive coordinators are scared to death of giving up the big play. They would rather allow the offense to run 5 yard slants and dump offs all day, than to allow a deep completion.
                      If Fitz could put the slightest fear in our opponents of his deep ball, it would open things up for the rest of the offense a bunch.
                      2013 "My Should Have" Draft
                      Posted During the 2013 Draft
                      1 - (16): Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
                      2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
                      2 - (46): Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
                      3 - (78): Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
                      4 - (105): Barrett Jones, OG, Alabama
                      5 - (143): Brandon Jenkins, LB, Florida State
                      6 - (177): Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
                      7 - (222): Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee

2013 Buddy Nix Draft
                      1 - (16): E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
                      2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
                      2 - (46): Kiko Alonso, LB, Oregon
                      3 - (78): Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas
                      4 - (105): Duke Williams, FS, Nevada
                      5 - (143): Jonathan Meeks, SS, Clemson
                      6 - (177): Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State
                      7 - (222): Chris Gragg, TE, Arkansas

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Please don't do the JP/Trent/Fitz comparison thingie. Seriously.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                        X