PDA

View Full Version : IT's official, Aaron Williams is a BUSTa BUST

Marcala12
10-19-2012, 10:33 AM
From the Buffalo News, quoted in rotoworld:

Bills LCB Aaron Williams has allowed five touchdown passes this season, the most of any cornerback in the league.

According to Pro Football Focus, quarterbacks have produced a gaudy 129.2 passer rating on throws in Williams' territory. If not for veteran Terrence McGee's nagging knee injury, Williams would have lost his job by now. Rookie RCB Stephon Gilmore has also struggled at times. It's an ideal matchup for a Kenny Britt breakout game this week.

This guy has a long way to go; I'm calling it - Time of Bust 11:35 AM Friday, October 19th. So now we're down to two busts (Leodis + Williams) a gimpy has been (McGee), and a very unpolished and unproven rookie (Gilmore). Good think we spend high picks on CB's so often! We might have a d-line, but our CB's and our LB's are pretty much bottom of the barrel.
I know some people have been calling for a trade up to get one of the top 2 QB's in the draft, a trade like the Redskins made to get RG3. It seemed like that would be a good plan if and when FItz crapped the bed this season, but with the amount of holes we have on defense, I''m not so sure giving up all of our picks is such a good idea anymore.

Joe Fo Sho
10-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Congrats on calling it! You have received 6 Internet Points!!!

Collect 100 Internet Points to receive your gift of either adding to your real life reputation, 13 facebook friends, or 1 actual person who cares!

Internet Points can not be redeemed during business or non-business hours and have an actual value of 1/1000th of 3/100ths of a tenth of a penny.

The King
10-19-2012, 10:42 AM
I like the aggressive nature of Gilmores play. He's a rookie going up against the best in the league mistakes will happen. But I think he's going to be a good player.

SeatownBillsFan21
10-19-2012, 10:43 AM
He maybe just playing out of position I don't think I want to label him a bust 1.5 years into his career. He does suck at corner tho.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Called it weeks ago (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/214549-Aaron-Williams-is-a-complete-bust?p=3694608&highlight=#post3694608)

I'm hoping he can be salvaged as a safety or something. I also think they should do what they claimed they were going to do in the first place and try having him cover tight ends.

OpIv37
10-19-2012, 11:16 AM
I like the aggressive nature of Gilmores play. He's a rookie going up against the best in the league mistakes will happen. But I think he's going to be a good player.

Agreed. I'm OK with Gilmore's mistakes because he's still learning. He's shown promise and as long as he steadily improves, he will be fine. It's 6 games into his career into a position that probably has the 2nd steepest learning curve in the NFL, behind only QB (you could argue DT but I think that's more physical development than learning). I don't think we have anything to worry about with him.

Williams, on the other hand, looks ****ing clueless. He has a 1 year head start on Gilmore but isn't nearly as good. Seriously, all CB's will make a mistake here and there or get beat but a better athlete, but it's constant with this guy. He never seems to be in the right position and when he is, he gets beat physically.

Oh, and BTW, I got trashed for saying that the two pass break-ups he had against Cleveland would have been TD's against better QB's. What happens when he plays better QB's? He gives up more TD's than any CB in the league. The truth hurts.

OpIv37
10-19-2012, 11:17 AM
And to be honest, I don't get it.

Williams looked decent last year and seemed to be catching on quickly. This year, he looks pathetic.

Marcala12
10-19-2012, 11:33 AM
There is plenty to like about Gilmore as his mistakes are correctable and the growing pains early in his rookie year are to be expected. But Williams is looking like a dog.

Marcala12
10-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Called it weeks ago (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/214549-Aaron-Williams-is-a-complete-bust?p=3694608&highlight=#post3694608)

I'm hoping he can be salvaged as a safety or something. I also think they should do what they claimed they were going to do in the first place and try having him cover tight ends.

sorry missed that before...nice work and good call.

DraftBoy
10-19-2012, 11:43 AM
And to be honest, I don't get it.

Williams looked decent last year and seemed to be catching on quickly. This year, he looks pathetic.

Well we went through a rather large change.

Ed
10-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Here's an interview with Aaron Williams from Tim Graham. Some tough questions, but it sounds like he handled himself well. I hope he can improve, but maybe he's a better fit at safety.
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2012/10/aaron-williams-fully-aware-he-needs-to-perform-better.html

IlluminatusUIUC
10-19-2012, 12:03 PM
sorry missed that before...nice work and good call.

No apology necessary, just agreeing with you. The guy is a serious liability.

OpIv37
10-19-2012, 12:32 PM
Well we went through a rather large change.

Really though? How large of a change is it for someone who has played football their whole lives?

I recently changed jobs within the company- same basic role, but a completely different project with a completely different client. They do some things differently and I've made a few mistakes as I'm learning the new processes, and I'm sure I'll make a few more despite my best efforts. But I didn't go from a good employee to "completely incompetent" because of a few different procedures.

Also, Williams was a rookie last year so he was learning on the job last year as well- how do you explain how he seemed to pick everything up well last year, but is completely clueless trying to pick things up this year? It just doesn't make any sense.

Crisis
10-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Didn't a lot of people think Williams would be a safety in the NFL around the draft?

DraftBoy
10-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Really though? How large of a change is it for someone who has played football their whole lives?

I recently changed jobs within the company- same basic role, but a completely different project with a completely different client. They do some things differently and I've made a few mistakes as I'm learning the new processes, and I'm sure I'll make a few more despite my best efforts. But I didn't go from a good employee to "completely incompetent" because of a few different procedures.

Also, Williams was a rookie last year so he was learning on the job last year as well- how do you explain how he seemed to pick everything up well last year, but is completely clueless trying to pick things up this year? It just doesn't make any sense.

Yes really and are you really trying to draw a comp between what you do in an office all day to what somebody does on the football field? I understand the analogy, but its horribly simplified.

We went from a scheme that asked Williams to do one thing last year that also called for certain coverage schemes, to an enitrely different scheme this year that is asking Williams to do different things. Its not as easy and simply saying ok you cover #82. There is a reason why McKelvin looks better this year too. Some CB's are better in man, some are better in zone, some excel at both. Williams seemed to me to be better when he could just concentrate on a singular guy like he did last year. This year with the switching and zone responsibilities he looks confused. That's why Im not sure a move to Safety helps him unless they are going to let him play straight CF as a FS and we all know he's not taking Byrd's job.

bf1
10-19-2012, 12:55 PM

Collect 100 Internet Points to receive your gift of either adding to your real life reputation, 13 facebook friends, or 1 actual person who cares!

Internet Points can not be redeemed during business or non-business hours and have an actual value of 1/1000th of 3/100ths of a tenth of a penny.
:rofl:

bf1
10-19-2012, 12:56 PM
Bumbling Buddy Nix isn't a very good talent evaluator after all.

Mr. Miyagi
10-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Are these the same people who called Spiller a bust early last year?

This is the dude's second season, first as a starter. The jury is still out IMO.

Holy ADD you people. And yeah congrats on calling it. If the guy turns out to be decent in a year, will you be the first one to post a thread about calling yourself wrong?

Mahdi
10-19-2012, 01:28 PM
I still think Williams has a high ceiling as a CB and when he can polish up his game he will be real good. He is never far away from the receiver he just needs better ball skills and technique.

He has a lot of assets just needs to put everything together.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-19-2012, 01:56 PM

I've heard and read some amazing things today, but this might be the most awesome.

OpIv37
10-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Are these the same people who called Spiller a bust early last year?

This is the dude's second season, first as a starter. The jury is still out IMO.

Holy ADD you people. And yeah congrats on calling it. If the guy turns out to be decent in a year, will you be the first one to post a thread about calling yourself wrong?
Yeah, they're also the same people who called McCargo, Whitner, Maybin, Poz, Hardy, Youboty, etc busts in their 2nd year. Once again, the exception to prove the rule....

Mouldsie
10-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Didn't a lot of people think Williams would be a safety in the NFL around the draft?
I did. Thought he'd be a damn good one.

ZAZusmc03
10-19-2012, 02:22 PM
I said it after game 1 this season. The guy looks completely lost on the field, every play. If I was the opposing team's OC, my game plan would be to attack him and our crap LB's

OpIv37
10-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Yes really and are you really trying to draw a comp between what you do in an office all day to what somebody does on the football field? I understand the analogy, but its horribly simplified.

We went from a scheme that asked Williams to do one thing last year that also called for certain coverage schemes, to an enitrely different scheme this year that is asking Williams to do different things. Its not as easy and simply saying ok you cover #82. There is a reason why McKelvin looks better this year too. Some CB's are better in man, some are better in zone, some excel at both. Williams seemed to me to be better when he could just concentrate on a singular guy like he did last year. This year with the switching and zone responsibilities he looks confused. That's why Im not sure a move to Safety helps him unless they are going to let him play straight CF as a FS and we all know he's not taking Byrd's job.

I just honestly can't imagine that the change is that drastic for someone who has played football their whole life and adjusted well last year. I really just think he's not that talented.

And if he's better at man, why the hell did our coaches switch to a D where he has to play zone then not do anything about the CB position? It's decisions like this that keep this team from winning. They put guys in positions to fail.

- - - Updated - - -

I said it after game 1 this season. The guy looks completely lost on the field, every play. If I was the opposing team's OC, my game plan would be to attack him and our crap LB's

I've said this numerous times this year:

Aaron Williams looks like someone was controlling him in Madden, then handed the controller to a 5 year old and left the room.

SABURZFAN
10-19-2012, 02:47 PM
the sky is falling...... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ServoBillieves
10-19-2012, 02:47 PM
I come to this thread for the professional evaluations, historical accuracy, and fundamental overview of what each player has done in their professional career.

A team that is 3-3, tied for the top in it's division deserves a top caliber corner to anchor it's defense. I'm glad to see the intellectual thought process put in to how said player Williams has given up 5 TD's. I mean, the guy has had a full off-season, a rookie year, and 6 games to prove he's an elite talent! Wow, Buddy really ****ing whiffed on this one. I can't believe he came in to the league without a camp, held his own, and then this season he's given up 5 TD's! Don't pull that "Sophomore slump" BS either! Cam Newton is proving that the second year thing is a myth.

So many of us on this board have been through what he's doing and prevailed. Remember when ZAZumsc03 had 8 interceptions his second year in Denver? How stupid is this kid! It's not like he's playing elite talent! We could all do what he does, and as professional coordinators we also can game plan for him or against him too.

God Aaron Williams upsets me. I hope he gets cut. Where are Ellis Lankster and Marvin Ward when you need them?

Luisito23
10-19-2012, 03:05 PM
So many coaches, scouts, and prophets in this thread, I'm surprised you all are not employed by OBD.

kingJofNYC
10-19-2012, 03:25 PM
So many coaches, scouts, and prophets in this thread, I'm surprised you all are not employed by OBD.
They currently employee a bigger group of ****s ups.

BillsFever21
10-19-2012, 03:26 PM
And to think drafting CB's used to be the one of the few positions the Bills usually hit with. We have always drafted CB's in the first few rounds and tons of them in the 1st round and up to around the McKelvin era we usually hit on the majority of them. Now we can't even get them correct.

I have hope for Gilmore but that's still up in the air. He has shown some ability. Hopefully we finally draft a good one. It's been a while of nothing but CB busts drafted in the top few rounds starting with McKelvin.

OpIv37
10-19-2012, 03:29 PM

Yeah, because the last 12 years CLEARLY show that OBD knows what they are doing.....

cookie G
10-19-2012, 04:33 PM
It should have been a tip off that the guy wasn't the best CB on his team, much less his conference.

But...
"you need to draft a CB every year.."
"If you don't have big DB's, you're in trouble"
"Its like our 2nd first round pick"

etc. etc.

The solution is simple. The NFL needs to step in and put a 5 year moratorium for the Bills using any pick above the 4th round on a DB. There could be written exceptions in the 3rd round for the right player.

Call it the Matt Millen Rule on WR's or whatever.

k-oneputt
10-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Should move him to strong safety.

DraftBoy
10-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Should move him to strong safety.

You want him in the box? I'd move him to FS but SS scares me with him.

k-oneputt
10-19-2012, 04:36 PM
I think he is physical and w/ Byrd they would be a good safety combo.

YardRat
10-19-2012, 04:47 PM
Last week Dareus was the worst DT in football. Blah, blah, blah...

k-oneputt
10-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Don't worry about Dareus, he's a player.

DraftBoy
10-19-2012, 05:28 PM
I think he is physical and w/ Byrd they would be a good safety combo.

Maybe, I just worry about his ability to deal with traffic. If he can do it, he's a good replacement for Wilson.

Mr. Miyagi
10-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Yeah, they're also the same people who called McCargo, Whitner, Maybin, Poz, Hardy, Youboty, etc busts in their 2nd year. Once again, the exception to prove the rule....
It's pretty awesome to be such a genius when you're just looking backwards isn't it?

Sorry but Whitner and Poz aren't busts. They're doing pretty well with their new teams. And I've never heard anyone saying McCargo or Youboty would be stars.

OpIv37
10-19-2012, 11:01 PM
It's pretty awesome to be such a genius when you're just looking backwards isn't it?

Sorry but Whitner and Poz aren't busts. They're doing pretty well with their new teams. And I've never heard anyone saying McCargo or Youboty would be stars. They are busts because neither are close to living up to their potential or their draft status, even if they are doing ok elsewhere.

McCargo was a first round pick, and LOTS of people on this board were talking up Youboty, calling him a "first round talent," etc, and NO ONE was looking backwards when those things were said. They were all said very early in their careers, which disputes your contention that it is too soon to call Williams a bust.

Most players struggle a little early in their careers, like Gilmore. Few, if any, players who look as ****ing clueless as Williams ever get it and become good players.

And what the hell is wrong with you people anyway? Williams is a big reason why this team is doing so poorly. Why do supposed "fans" who supposedly want the team to win insist on defending guys who are keeping us from winning? It's completely illogical.

OpIv37
10-19-2012, 11:05 PM
A team that is 3-3, tied for the top in it's division deserves a top caliber corner to anchor it's defense.

Can we just stop with this epic nonsense? If the season ended today, we'd be 3rd in the division and out of the playoffs. The Jets and Pats have head to head and div record tiebreakers on us. So no, we are not tied for first. We have to somehow make up a game on both of them to be in first.

Seriously, this team got destroyed in 3 out of six games and you're buying this "tied for first" crap from the Russ Brandon PR machine? Come on.

OpIv37
10-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Last week Dareus was the worst DT in football. Blah, blah, blah...

One game. Not all six games this season, like Williams.

BertSquirtgum
10-19-2012, 11:24 PM
Aaron Williams should be moved to George Wilson's position and Mcgee should be starting opposite Gilmore.

BertSquirtgum
10-19-2012, 11:28 PM
This team would be better with Whitner on the team. For 3 million a year they should have kept him. I hated his big mouth but the Bills could have been used him.

Marcala12
10-20-2012, 12:03 AM
the people telling me i'm jumping the gun, or being silly enough to think hell eventually be a very good corner just don't get it. It's not like he makes some bonehead plays and follows them up with some amazing plays; we would all be patient with a situation like that. But it's so much worse; he literally does nothing good and statistically he's been the worst corner in the NFL. It does't bode well; he's been a disaster.

BertSquirtgum
10-20-2012, 12:10 AM
He is too slow to be a cornerback in the NFL. Another fail by the inept coaching staff and front office of the Bills.

kishoph
10-20-2012, 03:59 AM
Aaron Williams should be moved to George Wilson's position and Mcgee should be starting opposite Gilmore.

As far as McGee being the #2 CB, I think this is what they want to do for now, but McGee is not healthy enough to start the whole game, according to what Buddy Nix said yesterday.

k-oneputt
10-20-2012, 05:37 AM
With Brooks on his way back he and McGee can split the reps over there.
Williams is going to be losing some p-t.
I do like the idea of trying him at SS eventually though.

Mr. Pink
10-20-2012, 09:20 PM
He can go hang out with Ashton Youboty and reminisce about their times getting money for doing nothing from the Buffalo Bills.

YardRat
10-20-2012, 10:46 PM
One game. Not all six games this season, like Williams.

The assessment on Dareus was year-to-date, not just based on the 49er game.

OpIv37
10-21-2012, 02:35 PM
And Aaron Williams strikes again with the late holding call.

streetkings01
10-21-2012, 04:36 PM
That 2011 draft is looking worse and worse