PDA

View Full Version : Spiller leads NFL in ypc after contact

Ed
10-19-2012, 02:13 PM
I just saw this and found this stat pretty interesting. Apparently CJ leads all RB's in ypc after initial contact. You hear a lot of talk about how CJ is just a speed guy, he's not big enough to run between the tackles or gain the extra tough yards and what not, but this stat would suggest otherwise. I really believe that Spiller is a complete all-purpose back. There's really no weakness to his game. Now give him the damn ball!

Spilling over: If there were not enough reasons already to get Buffalo Bills tailback C.J. Spiller the football more, here’s another one: Spiller leads the NFL with 3.9 yards per carry after contact. Spiller has rushed for 226 yards this season after the initial hit, according to ESPN Stats & Info. Spiller is the most dynamic offensive talent the Bills have. Yet he continues to share a lot of carries (too many?) with teammate Fred Jackson. We will continue to monitor how many carries Spiller gets Sunday against the Tennessee Titans.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/49527/final-word-afc-east-56

Mouldsie
10-19-2012, 02:19 PM
That stat does not mean he can just bowl people over, we obvious see on film that he does not do that, but he certainly causes a large number of broken and missed tackles. He's so quick that players don't get a good shot on him.

trapezeus
10-19-2012, 02:25 PM
probably because he has more long runs that changes the average. he's hardly like Marshawn, who last night was credited for the same stat. I'm confused on how this stat is calculated.

Not saying marshawn is better either. just saying he thrives on the contact and loves wearing people down. it also means he'll have a shorter life span in the NFL.

Also, the bills blocking seems to have improved alot over the last 2+years under gailey. So as a whole, backs like freddie and CJ who have instincts and can get small, do a lot of damage through the gaps they provide. Marshawn didn't have that here and always had a knack to want to run into people.

ServoBillieves
10-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Willis McGahee, Marshawn Lynch, Fred Jackson, CJ Spiller, Travis Henry... Someday we'll get it right! Should've drafted a RB this year...

BillsFever21
10-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Spiller is averaging almost 8ypc and is clearly the best RB on the team. Why Gailey insist on rotating series with these guys is beyond me. He isn't a failed NFL HC without a reason though.

Spiller needs to be getting 20 touches a game and Jackson the rest on short yardage, relief, etc. When you have a guy getting almost 8ypc and is also making big plays in the passing game you don't limit his touches for somebody who is averaging under 4ypc and is looking old and slow. Especially with a team who lacks a QB who can make big plays yet you split the touches with the only offensive player who can.

Screw the entire loyalty theory by Chan. The Bills were loyal to him and gave him the money and now he needs to fit in with the best role for the team. If he fails to make the playoffs his ass needs to be shown the door.

Oaf
10-19-2012, 04:28 PM
It's funny, Fred was rated best in this last year.

I wonder how many playoff games 2000-era Bills RBs have won with other teams. I'm willing to discount Sammy Morris and Antowain Smith.

Mouldsie
10-19-2012, 05:07 PM
It's funny, Fred was rated best in this last year.

Who's that bum?

alnilla
10-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Saw last night that Marshawn had 300 yards after contact.........

jdaltroy5
10-19-2012, 09:13 PM
One of the biggest things I've noticed about Spiller from year one to year three is that he used to go on the first sign of contact.

When he was a rookie, you could just arm tackle him and he'd go down. He's still not going to bowl anyone over, but he's breaking free or spinning out of arm tackles much better than he used to.

Johnny Bugmenot
10-21-2012, 07:07 AM
Spiller's faced weaker competition; that's why he's performed better.

kishoph
10-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Saw last night that Marshawn had 300 yards after contact.........

That's contact after hit and runs with his SUV.

NOT THE DUDE...
10-21-2012, 11:31 AM
spiller should be starting 2 series, jackson 1, spiller 2.... and so forth