PDA

View Full Version : Footballguys.com on Buffalo's Offense

Tatonka
07-08-2003, 10:14 AM
Quarterbacks
Starter - Drew Bledsoe
Backups - Alex Van Pelt, Travis Brown

Starting Quarterback: Barring injury, Drew Bledsoe is the man in Buffalo and he should put up fantasy numbers similar to a season ago. He has a strong arm, a great receiving target in Eric Moulds and an intriguing 2nd year receiver named Josh Reed. Bledsoe always puts up respectable fantasy numbers that make him a fair starting quarterback in fantasy football or a great backup. He is no threat to run the ball, which hurts his fantasy value and puts him in the middle of the pack. Take away his 2001 season when he went down with a season-ending injury and Bledsoe hasn't passed for less than 3291 yards since his rookie campaign.

read more

http://footballguys.com/03bufteamreport.htm

MDFINFAN
07-08-2003, 10:26 AM
Again this article points to the passing O, not the reality of the changes the Bills have made to become a running O. This is why I say people see you as a passing team, and the fact that you don't have Price, Reisma, and centers on O, will affect your passing O. And until you prove your running game, I don't know really know what kind of O you'll have, but I do believe Drew will make Josh Reed a good reciever, just because he delivers the ball well.

Ð
07-08-2003, 10:34 AM
Yeah, Travis Henry was only fifth in rushing in the NFL last year.
I guess we have to prove our running game :rolleyes:

R. Rich
07-08-2003, 10:41 AM
I think I understand your point, MDFINFAN. The Bills do need to demonstrate that they can effectively run the football to control a ballgame, kill the clock, etc. Even though Travis did have a breakthrough season, how many times were the Bills able to just pound out a win on the ground? What will help is if the defense can control teams running against us, and I believe that will happen this year. If we can have success throwing the ball this year (and I don't think Bledsoe can make Reed much better as a receiver, because he came into the NFL with maturity, the ability to run precise routes, and great hands!) and can stop our opponents from running all over us, then you'll see a running game that can dominate a game and a much more balanced offense.

Tatonka
07-08-2003, 10:42 AM
:lol:

WG
07-08-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by MDFINFAN
Again this article points to the passing O, not the reality of the changes the Bills have made to become a running O. This is why I say people see you as a passing team, and the fact that you don't have Price, Reisma, and centers on O, will affect your passing O. And until you prove your running game, I don't know really know what kind of O you'll have, but I do believe Drew will make Josh Reed a good reciever, just because he delivers the ball well.

Right on MD!!

In fact, it also sees the Bills O as a yardage O and not a scoring O!

If the last 10 games of last season are any indication, and I'd say there more of an indication than the first 6 games against the scrubbiest of teams and teams w/ no Ds, especially passing Ds, then Drew will be a horrible fantasy QB.

He'd finish the season at 16/16 if the trend holds out! That can be gotten from any old scrub QB in the league! Last season's offensive hype was based almost exclusively on yardage, attempts, and completions and related records based on those things while almost completely ignoring turnovers, INTs, scoring, and sacks!!!

19 of 22 team TOs in 7 losses, 54 sacks (by far second in the league behind only the rookie Carr w/ absolutely no OL),

1 TD/1 INT per game over the last 10 games,

7 TDs/10 INTs/14 TOs, for a 1/2 TD/TO ratio in the other 9 of 10 last games.

Is that the kind of QB you want for fantasy??

Not me! Far from it in fact. I like more consistent production and more than nominal production.

WG
07-08-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by R. Rich
I think I understand your point, MDFINFAN. The Bills do need to demonstrate that they can effectively run the football to control a ballgame, kill the clock, etc. Even though Travis did have a breakthrough season, how many times were the Bills able to just pound out a win on the ground?

How many times did we try??

How many times is that all we had to do and yet Gilbumble called the game to pass the ball??

How many times is that all we had to do when Drew tossed a horrendous pass to end the game or effectively put it out of control?? (Oakland, K.C., N.E., etal.)

How many times was the run working to an incredible level while the passing game was struggling, yet we continued to throw the ball even though there was no need to do so and even then while it was not in our best interests??

We would have been 11-5 and won the division if those things had not happened last season!

The big question for this season is, Are GW and Gilbumble really serious about changing this team from a passing team to a running/D team, or not?? Or are they more concerned about making Drew look superhuman than they are about winning games??

Again, I'll believe the former when it actually occurs. The hype w/ Drew is still way beyond where it should be given his contributions. Meanwhile, we all believe that the only reason we beat teams like Minnesota, Cincy, Detroit, Houston, Chicago, and San Diego is b/c we had Drew on the team.

:rolleyes:

If we rely on Drew again, we'll take that to the golf course again in January!

Go Henry!!!
Go D!!!

GO BILLS!!!

venis2k1
07-08-2003, 10:53 AM
I wouldnt listen to anything this website says, look at the exerpt they have about Kelsay

"Buffalo DE Chris Kelsay is very talented, and has a great motor. He is stuck behind Aaron Schobel, who he resembles. Also, the 3-4 scheme he plays in will hurt his value even if he should break into the starting group." :ontome:

WG
07-08-2003, 10:54 AM
LOL

WG
07-08-2003, 10:54 AM
Does it say anything about how Flutie is gonna save the day...

:D

justasportsfan
07-08-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by R. Rich
I think Even though Travis did have a breakthrough season, how many times were the Bills able to just pound out a win on the ground?

Once. Against the fins ( :D )and we played it to perfection. We ran first and threw second which I believe is what the bills are planning to do all year round. We couldn't do it because our D couldn't stop other teams and more often than not, we had to play catch up.

Hopefully with the new aquisitions on D our O can be more patient by running the ball first which would eventually open up the passing game.

MDFINFAN
07-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Ð
Yeah, Travis Henry was only fifth in rushing in the NFL last year.
I guess we have to prove our running game :rolleyes:

That's because he benefitted from teams preparing to stop your passing O..Travis ran draws and things like that, under the table of the passing game. He racked up a lot of yards. Now we need to see Travis run when teams know you will run...Remember we had Avery run over a 1000 yards behind D. Marino, did that make us a running team, NO. If you show balance and can run when every one in the stadium know you will run, then you can consider yourself a running team. I don't know of one game last year that you won, based on your running. Your passing game won most if not all the games I can remember. And even when you had leads, I don't remember you being able to run the clock out, which would have taken pressure off your D.

WG
07-08-2003, 11:57 AM
What are you, joking there MD??

We won the first Fin game in Miami b/c of Travis' running and D. It certainly wasn't b/c of the passing game who's sum total contribution was a single TD on a broken play error by Madison and not a single significant contribution anywhere else.

We were in the first Jets game on the merits of Henry's running! Drew only had 2 INTs leading to 14 consecutive Jet points!

We would have won the K.C. game and possibly the Oakland game had we run Henry more.

We won the Houston game b/c of Henry's running!

We won the S.D. only b/c of Henry's running and in spite of Drew and the passing game!

Even the second Miami game was made possible b/c of Henry's running. Otherwise your D would have focused on Bledsoe all game which they clearly could not/did not do.

Apparenty you didn't actually watch any of our games. Either that or you simply believe all the drivel about Drew that's out there and how we only beat a bunch of loser teams b/c he was here. Teams that many other worse teams than Buffalo beat by-the-way!

The only games that we won because of Drew were the second Miami game but only in part and w/ help from the D and Henry; Minnesota and Chicago.

Other than those 3, or 2 and 1/2, there weren't any other games in which we won where the D and/or Henry's rushing weren't equally responsible.

I will agree w/ you that teams set up for our passing game costing us a bunch of games. Drew lost more games than he singlehandedly won. He lost the K.C. game personally, the Oakland game personally, and the second N.E. game personally.

He almost cost us the S.D. game too.

WG
07-08-2003, 12:02 PM
And BTW, we could have had McDougle for the pick we traded away to get Drew. McD would have been w/ us for a decade as likely one of the league's best pass rushers.

MDFINFAN
07-08-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
What are you, joking there MD??

We won the first Fin game in Miami b/c of Travis' running and D. It certainly wasn't b/c of the passing game who's sum total contribution was a single TD on a broken play error by Madison and not a single significant contribution anywhere else.

We were in the first Jets game on the merits of Henry's running! Drew only had 2 INTs leading to 14 consecutive Jet points!

We would have won the K.C. game and possibly the Oakland game had we run Henry more.

We won the Houston game b/c of Henry's running!

We won the S.D. only b/c of Henry's running and in spite of Drew and the passing game!

Even the second Miami game was made possible b/c of Henry's running. Otherwise your D would have focused on Bledsoe all game which they clearly could not/did not do.

Apparenty you didn't actually watch any of our games. Either that or you simply believe all the drivel about Drew that's out there and how we only beat a bunch of loser teams b/c he was here. Teams that many other worse teams than Buffalo beat by-the-way!

The only games that we won because of Drew were the second Miami game but only in part and w/ help from the D and Henry; Minnesota and Chicago.

Other than those 3, or 2 and 1/2, there weren't any other games in which we won where the D and/or Henry's rushing weren't equally responsible.

I will agree w/ you that teams set up for our passing game costing us a bunch of games. Drew lost more games than he singlehandedly won. He lost the K.C. game personally, the Oakland game personally, and the second N.E. game personally.

He almost cost us the S.D. game too.

Wys, you're kidding, You beat us on the pass, the 1 TD..Henry's running was a by product of 6 turnovers from us, come on..we never had the ball long enough to be a threat.

The rest of the teams you mentioned wasn't exactly known as run stopping D's, but again those teams were respecting your passing game way to much, like us, and Travis benefitted. But that's last year, we're talking this year, I think you find out if Travis is the real deal or if he benefitted from the passing game. The next year for Avery after his 1000 yard season, team prepared for him and shut him down. Travis won't be a mystery man this year. But if he's struggling, I think you should be happy to have Drew, who can bail you out.

WG
07-08-2003, 12:56 PM
In that first game MD, other than "that one pass", Drew had barely over 100 yards passing, fewer yards than Henry had rushing. Ball control and it wasn't courtesy of Drew.

You may be correct in that teams expected us not to run, but who knows. Henry had his best 6 games vs.

Houston - Won
Miami (1) - Won
Miami (2) - Won
Jets (1) - Should have won; lost b/c of Drew and STs, not Henry
K.S. - Should have won; ditto w/ above
S.D. - Won only b/c of Henry and D

After that Jets game, I doubt there were too many teams "not concerned" about Henry.

You are mixing up Drew making huge errors w/ the notion that those were all forced errors when few if any were. Most were simply completely bumbling INTs w/ little or no pressure and on plays when we should have been running the ball anyway.

MDFINFAN
07-08-2003, 02:26 PM
In that first game MD, other than "that one pass", Drew had barely over 100 yards passing, fewer yards than Henry had rushing. Ball control and it wasn't courtesy of Drew.

You may be correct in that teams expected us not to run, but who knows. Henry had his best 6 games vs.

Houston - Won
Miami (1) - Won
Miami (2) - Won
Jets (1) - Should have won; lost b/c of Drew and STs, not Henry
K.S. - Should have won; ditto w/ above
S.D. - Won only b/c of Henry and D

After that Jets game, I doubt there were too many teams "not concerned" about Henry.

You are mixing up Drew making huge errors w/ the notion that those were all forced errors when few if any were. Most were simply completely bumbling INTs w/ little or no pressure and on plays when we should have been running the ball anyway.

In our first game we never had the ball except for the 1st drive..after that we gave it to u, of course Henry could run to take up time. But the threat of the pass set that up. Madison was hurt, so it wasn't a mistake, he just got beat by Moulds. And Moulds did it again in buff. Henry ran underneath the radar..But I also saw Drew help with making this O click...I agree the 2nd half of the season wasn't great for Drew, but you ran the ball more and it still didn't translate to wins..But this subject could go on and on..it's all a matter of opinion, and I understand your thoughts on Drew.:cheers:

Tatonka
07-08-2003, 02:36 PM
And BTW, we could have had McDougle for the pick we traded away to get Drew. McD would have been w/ us for a decade as likely one of the league's best pass rushers.

i love your crystal ball trick..

:rolleyes:

Jan Reimers
07-08-2003, 07:43 PM
These fantasy articles are just that - fantasy.

Ð
07-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by MDFINFAN

That's because he benefitted from teams preparing to stop your passing O..Travis ran draws and things like that, under the table of the passing game. He racked up a lot of yards. Now we need to see Travis run when teams know you will run...Remember we had Avery run over a 1000 yards behind D. Marino, did that make us a running team, NO. If you show balance and can run when every one in the stadium know you will run, then you can consider yourself a running team. I don't know of one game last year that you won, based on your running. Your passing game won most if not all the games I can remember. And even when you had leads, I don't remember you being able to run the clock out, which would have taken pressure off your D.

You're joking, right ? Tell me you're joking ?

Did RW not run draws, traps, etc ? Does the passing game not feed the running game & vice versa, or are you stuck in Vince Lombardilalaland ?

1438 rushing yards is a whole 'nother stratosphere than "over a 1000" yds from Avery while the ultimate stats boy Dan Marino.

TH was a bonecrusher in the second half of the season.

Put down the crack pipe :eek:

Doc
07-08-2003, 09:30 PM
Uh, John Avery barely had HALF of 1000 yards in his one full season with the Dols. As for Henry, he'll be having the benefit of Bledsoe being the QB and guys like Gash, Moore, and Campbell blocking for him. I still expect to see a lot of 3 WR sets and Henry running out of them.

WG
07-08-2003, 09:32 PM
Avery was a joke. He sucked. Henry has talent.

MDFINFAN
07-08-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Ð

You're joking, right ? Tell me you're joking ?

Did RW not run draws, traps, etc ? Does the passing game not feed the running game & vice versa, or are you stuck in Vince Lombardilalaland ?

1438 rushing yards is a whole 'nother stratosphere than "over a 1000" yds from Avery while the ultimate stats boy Dan Marino.

TH was a bonecrusher in the second half of the season.

Put down the crack pipe :eek:

Did it translate to wins, was he featured or was your passing featured..I don't know, but every fantasy writer and regular sports writer is still talking about you as through you were a passing team, now I wonder where they got that thought from. Hmmm lets see, was your running yardage anywhere near your passing yardage....Looking at your stats, it seems your passing yardage is way pass your running yardage, yep, a passing team. D. Marino part 2. until you prove otherwise...you're a passing team. Lets put it this way..TH, 1400 yards, Moulds 1300, Price 1200, Reeds 500, TE (I think 200), did ya go with the pass more or the run more? Good ?...you're right, I'm on crack.

Ð
07-08-2003, 10:46 PM
Smoke some more crack, Miami-boy.
An excellent NFL passing game = 4000+ yds/season & an excellent NFL running game = 1500 + yds/season. Comparing passing/running the way you do is a mugs game.

MDFINFAN
07-08-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Ð
Smoke some more crack, Miami-boy.
An excellent NFL passing game = 4000+ yds/season & an excellent NFL running game = 1500 + yds/season. Comparing passing/running the way you do is a mugs game.

I never said you had a excellent passing game or an excellent run game..I just said you were a passing team, and TH benefited from it, that's all. I never compared passing/running. Reread my post..If you look at the Rams, the pass set up Marshall, who's an excellent runner...I just think the bills played the same kind of O last year and TH is a good runner..

MDFINFAN
07-08-2003, 11:12 PM
BTW, I'm from Fort Lauderdale, not Miami..and i pass the boy age years ago..but i feel like one, thanks.

Ð
07-08-2003, 11:18 PM
It's a figure of speech, Jungle Queen :rolleyes:

SABURZFAN
07-09-2003, 12:28 AM

If we rely on Drew again, we'll take that to the golf course again in January!

:eek:

will somebody from the Ostrich Club please tell me he didn't say that?

PSSSSSSTTTT...hey Wys.read my signature.:snicker2:

MDFINFAN
07-09-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Ð
It's a figure of speech, Jungle Queen :rolleyes:

I know Prince (Let's go crazy) the 2nd. At least that what your name implies ..:bowl: