• Da'Norris Searcy
    • Chris White
    • Justin Rogers
    • Michael Jasper

• Stephon Gilmore
    • Nigel Bradham
    • Ron Brooks
    • Tank Carder

I see two legit starters, if one of the two keeps playing the way he is, maybe one. Pitiful.

We changed Scouting directors after the 2011 draft, reshuffled the FO a bit, but this is the talent Buddy's acquired to reshape the defense. Forget babies, it's a used diaper. No way should he be in charge come 2013.
    Last edited by kingJofNYC; 10-21-2012, 08:05 PM.
  • Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Re: Buddy's Defensive Draft Selections

2010 you left off Spiller. That could be a home run. The rest of that draft is worthless. 2011 isn't looking very good either. Williams and Sheppard are busts IMO. Dareus is regressing after a good rookie year. The rest are roster fillers at best. Way to early to judge 2012

Comment

• Novacane
      • Jul 2002

Sorry I missed that you said defensive selections. Good point. He hasn't improved the defense at all with his drafting.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
        Peterman Sucks!
        • Mar 2006

There's 2 legitimate starters in that group. I'm not ready to write Dareus off yet but he's been brutal so far this year. And then obviously Gilmore is the other starter.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
          • Sep 2009

I just listed defensive selections, that's far and way the worst unit, and we spent more than half of our 27 selections under Buddy on that side of the ball.

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post
            There's 2 legitimate starters in that group. I'm not ready to write Dareus off yet but he's been brutal so far this year. And then obviously Gilmore is the other starter.
            You don't draft a guy like Dareus who is a perfect fit for our old 34 and then expect him to be as dominant in a 43 that asks him to do the opposite of what he has been doing for the last few years. Anybody expecting that never considered the schematic and assignment differences.
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• kingJofNYC
              • Sep 2009

What I find interesting is how the gurus loved Dareus' versatility, played up and down the line at Bama, could play anywhere on the line, blah blah blah. That fool Warren Sapp was on the NFL Network touting how Dareus was a wrong fit for the 3-4 and would be underutilized, said he should be a 3 tech. Yeah, about that....

Third-year junior from Huffman, Ala. "He's a combination of play-making ability, athleticism and explosiveness," Atlanta GM Thomas Dimitroff said. "He's a top-five pick that will impact a team greatly from Day 1." His father, a Haitian immigrant, passed away when Dareus was 6. "He's a big wrecking ball inside," said Dominik. "One of those big bodies that knows how to get to the quarterback. He should be another one of those big, dominating D-tackles. Kind of like John Henderson, Marcus Stroud, Albert Haynesworth." Played up and down the line for coach Nick Saban. "He's the best 5-technique, the best 3-technique and the best nose tackle," one scout said. "Now you don't want him doing your taxes, but he's a hell of a football player." Started just 15 of 33 games, waiting his turn as is generally the case at Alabama. Finished with 70 tackles (20 for loss), 11 sacks and one "big" play. "He's a power player," said Polian. "Think Richard Seymour." When matched against Florida C Mike Pouncey, Dareus "kicked his (expletive) all day long," observed one scout. Added an AFC scout: "He's the safest and best player in the draft."
              From Bob Mcginn's 2011 draft ratings. Always has quotes from scouts.
              Last edited by kingJofNYC; 10-21-2012, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                • Jan 2003

The line backing is incredibly weak and the defensive coaching is atrocious.

Comment

• Oaf
                  Do you read what you write?
                  • Jun 2007

I think I just puked a little. Fire the evaluation staff.

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

I don't mind the drafting on the defensive side of the ball in all honesty, considering the circumstances.

'10 is going to be a bust, becuase it was geared toward a 34. Carrington can still be a decent depth player.
                    '11--Dareus will be OK, maybe a combination of family loss and soph slump. Williams, Shephard and Searcy still only have a season plus under their belts.
                    '12--Seven games in...Gilmore is solid, probably a future stud. Bradham can play, and Brooks hasn't seen the field yet but I have high hopes for him.

If you're looking for 11 starters in three drafts or expecting all of the picks to have immediate impact in year one or two, than you're just being unrealistic.

There is talent on that side of the ball, and yes there are positions that need to be upgraded (LB, SS), but the biggest detriment is not having somebody competent running the show.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Turf
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                      You don't draft a guy like Dareus who is a perfect fit for our old 34 and then expect him to be as dominant in a 43 that asks him to do the opposite of what he has been doing for the last few years. Anybody expecting that never considered the schematic and assignment differences.
                      Why wouldn't it be easier for a DT with 3 other linemen rather than 2?
                      Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                        Peterman Sucks!
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                        I completely agree. I didn't want to come out and say we have 1 starter out of the group, Gilmore, and the rest are either garbage or don't fit here anymore.

All of 2010 doesn't fit here anymore = wasted draft as of today

2011 the only guy worth a crap doesn't fit here anymore and the rest of that garbage is just that garbage = another wasted draft.

Unless we somehow end up running the 3-4 next year the 2010 drafted guys should all be gone by next season.

2012 we got Gilmore. And ummmmm yeah.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                          Peterman Sucks!
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                          I don't mind the drafting on the defensive side of the ball in all honesty, considering the circumstances.

'10 is going to be a bust, becuase it was geared toward a 34. Carrington can still be a decent depth player.
                          '11--Dareus will be OK, maybe a combination of family loss and soph slump. Williams, Shephard and Searcy still only have a season plus under their belts.
                          '12--Seven games in...Gilmore is solid, probably a future stud. Bradham can play, and Brooks hasn't seen the field yet but I have high hopes for him.

If you're looking for 11 starters in three drafts or expecting all of the picks to have immediate impact in year one or two, than you're just being unrealistic.

There is talent on that side of the ball, and yes there are positions that need to be upgraded (LB, SS), but the biggest detriment is not having somebody competent running the show.
                          Expecting more than one legitimate starter out of 3 drafts is not unrealistic. Right now we have one legitimate starter, Gilmore.

Dareus either by scheme change, personal problems or both has not been a legitimate starter this year. He's there because there's no one else to play. If it's personal problems then he could rebound, if it's scheme however he'll be a bust.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                            • Sep 2012

I think Brooks and Bradham can be salvaged. Sheppard and Williams need to change positions or become backups. Rogers is a good returnman but we're obsessed with returnmen so there aren't even enough kickoffs to go around. And for a D this bad, that's saying something.

If Dareus needs a scheme change, change the ********* scheme. Top 5 draft picks are the guys you build your D around, you don't try to smash square pegs into round holes. Figure out what he does best, let him do it, and let other players cover around him.
                            Last edited by IlluminatusUIUC; 10-21-2012, 10:23 PM.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                              • Sep 2009

I don't think scheme is the issue, team ran a lot of 4-3 last year, Dareus also played 3 tech a bit, just not full time. Saban moved him all over that DL, over the nose, at 3, outside at 5. His versatility is what a I loved.

If anything, it's personal issues and just overall confidence. Joey Votto went through depression and anxiety issues when his father died, he took about a month off, you can't do that in football, it's a quarter of the season. Votto came back and mashed, he always mashes.

Most of the guys on D feel like jokes right now, that doesn't help their confidence at all. Seems like that entire unit is just running around. Even Kyle at times is rushing up the field, just trying to make a play, trying to stop a run in the backfield, when he should just sit in his gap and wait. When everyone else is ****ing up you try to do too much.

We'll see how things go with Marcell. He's dominated terrible competition this year, didn't do so today however. So that's why I question scheme being at fault. Does well against weaker players, it's the well coached/good players that he struggles against.
                              Last edited by kingJofNYC; 10-21-2012, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍