PDA

View Full Version : If I had to draft a QB this year...

X-Era
10-21-2012, 08:16 PM
These are the guys I like:

1) Landry Jones- I just like how he plays. He doesn't have the ceiling of other prospects like Thomas but I think he can play earlier than Thomas and might become a real solid starter pretty quickly. His confidence and poise questions are well chronicled but I think if you put him in a system where he has lots of targets and gets the ball out fast like ours he can gain confidence. My early guess is that it doesn't take a 1st rounder to get him and I like that thought.

2) Logan Thomas- Has such a slick release and great arm strength but he's so raw. This is the type of boom or bust pick that Bills fans who don't want us drafting a QB will go nuts over. But, he could become really good if he develops his mental markup and gains more consistency. His upside may seem him land in the 1st round and like I said I can hear the complaints now if we spend our 1st on a guy who may need to sit for a few years.

3) Zac Dysert- I love the quick release and can picture him marching us down the field out of our spread. He has decent touch and seems to have plenty of arm strength. He's not as polished as Jones and doesn't have Thomas's upside but I like him. He may be a 3rd rounder or beyond who could have success in a system like ours early a.l.a. Russell Wilson.

I'm just not as high on guys like Bray, Wilson, or even Geno Smith. Smith can play but I really wonder about his ability to breakdown defenses.

DraftBoy
10-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Well per McShay on a conference call the other day, Thomas's stock is down to Day 2 and maybe even Day 3. Not sure he'll leave early.

We'll know more about Landry after next weekend.

X-Era
10-22-2012, 06:14 AM
Well per McShay on a conference call the other day, Thomas's stock is down to Day 2 and maybe even Day 3. Not sure he'll leave early.

We'll know more about Landry after next weekend.
Yeah, I mean he definitely is looking shaky this year.

Ed
10-22-2012, 05:23 PM
What about Barkley?

DraftBoy
10-22-2012, 06:01 PM
What about Barkley?

NFL ready but he's getting some doubters due to his play this year. Lots of check downs.

Trample
10-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Wilson is probably the best qb available that the Bills can get in the first round. Barkley and Smith will be gone already. Landry Jones seems to only be decent while ahead. Logan Thomas is a disaster this year.

Trample
10-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Wow. Walterfootball.com doesn't even have Landry Jones in his first 50 draft picks this week. (http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php) He has Buffalo taking Wilson at No. 7 and Tavon Austin at No. 38. Austin's one of Geno Smith's wide outs at WVU.

X-Era
10-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Wow. Walterfootball.com doesn't even have Landry Jones in his first 50 draft picks this week. (http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php) He has Buffalo taking Wilson at No. 7 and Tavon Austin at No. 38. Austin's one of Geno Smith's wide outs at WVU.I'm not shocked at all and have said as much.

Mouldsie
10-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Here's my short list

1) Geno Smith
2) Zac Dysert

Night Train
10-27-2012, 07:12 AM
The thread DB did on the main board is very good. Barkley,Smith,Wilson, Manuel are talents with a lot to work with. Ditto for Bray of Tenn.

I don't like Jones at all. I've already seen Bledsoe and didn't like it. He's a clone.

k-oneputt
10-27-2012, 07:34 AM
Check out Jones tonight.

Notre Dame has a very good d-front seven. Their secondary can be had though. Will be interested in what Jones will do.

DraftBoy
10-27-2012, 09:19 AM
Check out Jones tonight.

Notre Dame has a very good d-front seven. Their secondary can be had though. Will be interested in what Jones will do.

Personally I think the ND secondary is coming along but they still have big holes. Bennett Jackson (4 INT's) should be on Kenny Stills while the freshman Russell will be on Justin Brown. That's the matchup I expect Oklahoma to exploit. Matthias Farley and Zeke Motta have to be active tonight and it will be interesting to see Prince Shembo, Ishaq Williams, and Manti Te'o all cover Trey Moteymer out of the Oklahoma backfield. The biggest thing is if ND can get to Landry Jones, a few sacks early and Landry should fall apart.

X-Era
10-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Personally I think the ND secondary is coming along but they still have big holes. Bennett Jackson (4 INT's) should be on Kenny Stills while the freshman Russell will be on Justin Brown. That's the matchup I expect Oklahoma to exploit. Matthias Farley and Zeke Motta have to be active tonight and it will be interesting to see Prince Shembo, Ishaq Williams, and Manti Te'o all cover Trey Moteymer out of the Oklahoma backfield. The biggest thing is if ND can get to Landry Jones, a few sacks early and Landry should fall apart.Te'o and Jones are who I'll be focused on.

Big test for Jones.

YardRat
10-27-2012, 06:41 PM
Matt Scott had a good game today.

Admittedly I haven't seen him play except for bits and pieces, switching between USC-'Zona and Florida-Georgia, but he might be worth a closer look in the mid rounds.

DraftBoy
10-27-2012, 08:29 PM
Matt Scott had a good game today.

Admittedly I haven't seen him play except for bits and pieces, switching between USC-'Zona and Florida-Georgia, but he might be worth a closer look in the mid rounds.

Agreed, his name came up last year when scouts were at Zona practices to watch Nick Foles. Many thought he out preformed Foles in drills.

X-Era
11-04-2012, 08:57 AM
So, I still like Jones. Geno Smith looked really questionable last night. He can make some terrible decisions and takes a long time to go through his progressions.

The whole class looks so mediocre. Barkley actually impressed me last night. He may just have the best decision making out of this class. But he also continues to underwhelm me overall.

DraftBoy
11-04-2012, 09:08 AM
So, I still like Jones. Geno Smith looked really questionable last night. He can make some terrible decisions and takes a long time to go through his progressions.

The whole class looks so mediocre. Barkley actually impressed me last night. He may just have the best decision making out of this class. But he also continues to underwhelm me overall.

I just dont get it with Jones, he continually struggles to make reads from the pocket after pressure starts building. Against ND he started to duck his throws because he was afraid to get hit (confirmed with OU blogger who breaks down every OU game). That's not what we need at QB.

I still like Geno a lot, I can live with bad decisions as long as you show that you can bounce back from them (short memory). He's still the best QB in this class. Really like Dysert in Rds 2-3 and I really think the Bills wait till then to take a QB. I dont think they are going QB in Round 1.

YardRat
11-04-2012, 10:39 AM
I'm not liking Smith or Barkley.

X-Era
11-04-2012, 11:31 AM
I just dont get it with Jones, he continually struggles to make reads from the pocket after pressure starts building. Against ND he started to duck his throws because he was afraid to get hit (confirmed with OU blogger who breaks down every OU game). That's not what we need at QB.

I still like Geno a lot, I can live with bad decisions as long as you show that you can bounce back from them (short memory). He's still the best QB in this class. Really like Dysert in Rds 2-3 and I really think the Bills wait till then to take a QB. I dont think they are going QB in Round 1.

I don't know. Landry has looked questionable too I agree. I just like his pocket presence in most cases. I like Dysert a lot too.

On Smith, he threw right at defenders so many times last night... Really scary looking.

Ingtar33
11-05-2012, 12:15 PM
From what i've seen Geno Smith looks like the only round 1 talent at QB in this draft... there are a lot of others who will go in round 1, but i don't like their prospects at all. I need to start to recording some games and watching these guys more.

Uncle Jesse
11-08-2012, 07:33 PM
There isn't a QB coming out I dislike as an NFL QB more than Logan Thomas. Please, no.

TigerJ
11-08-2012, 08:24 PM
I think Logan Thomas has plenty of upside as a QB prospect, but it's going to take a pretty heavy investment of coaching to get him to the point where he's capable of starting. I don't think you could use him as a rookie at all, and it might take longer than that

ICRockets
11-08-2012, 09:59 PM
My ideal draft for the Bills would have Manti Te'o in Round 1 and EJ Manuel in Round 2.

Did you know Bruce Smith is EJ's Godfather?

DraftBoy
11-09-2012, 06:57 AM
My ideal draft for the Bills would have Manti Te'o in Round 1 and EJ Manuel in Round 2.

I did not know that, Manuel was everything we know him to be last night. Inconsistent accuracy, forced some balls, but then stayed calm under pressure and made some good throws for the win. He scares me still.

DraftBoy
11-09-2012, 06:59 AM
There isn't a QB coming out I dislike as an NFL QB more than Logan Thomas. Please, no.

You gotta keep in mind he's only 2 years removed from being a TE, he's going to take some time. That throw down the seam to Fuller was picture perfect touch, and then the sideline pass to start the last drive was incredible with his gun. Fitz can't make that throw.

Then you saw the bad Logan rear his head, forced a pass he didn't need to into coverage and it got picked.

kishoph
11-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Here's my short list

1) Geno Smith
2) Zac Dysert

I seen Dysert play last week vs the UB Bulls, it was pretty hard to get a really good read on him due to the wind, although his arm was definitely strong enough for WNY winds. I just don't think he's a 1st round pick.

TigerJ
11-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Dysert would not be a first round pick. Probably a second rounder and maybe third.

DraftBoy
11-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Logan Thomas will submit his name for eval.

tampabay25690
11-13-2012, 08:06 PM

I knew that about EJ but not big on him at all.
Inconsistent as can be...

X-Era
11-14-2012, 07:06 AM
Man I wish just one of the QB prospects this year were more like Aaron Rodgers or Matt Ryan coming out. I don't need a sure fire stud like Luck; I'd love it but we will never stink bad enough to draft high enough to get that guy. I'd just like a legit guy that you can trust to make plays and not make so many questionable plays that they lose the game for you.

All these guys just seem to lack the "it" factor. The trust-him-to-win-the-game-for-you factor. They all look way more like career backups than top 10 QB's in the NFL to me.

I know were going to take the guy we really like this year. I know we will end up drafting one of these guys. But man, I just can't get very excited about any of them.

DraftBoy
11-14-2012, 07:11 AM
Man I wish just one of the QB prospects this year were more like Aaron Rodgers or Matt Ryan coming out. I don't need a sure fire stud like Luck; I'd love it but we will never stink bad enough to draft high enough to get that guy. I'd just like a legit guy that you can trust to make plays and not make so many questionable plays that they lose the game for you.

All these guys just seem to lack the "it" factor. The trust-him-to-win-the-game-for-you factor. They all look way more like career backups than top 10 QB's in the NFL to me.

I know were going to take the guy we really like this year. I know we will end up drafting one of these guys. But man, I just can't get very excited about any of them.

I think there are a few who are, I think the market is balancing out some and deflating some stock that we would normally see as very high. We have three legit first round QB's and 3-4 legit 2nd Rounders, that's a strong class.

X-Era
11-14-2012, 07:15 AM
I knew that about EJ but not big on him at all.
Inconsistent as can be...
I think many still way overrate mobility. Smith is better than Manuel and both have a similar style. But, even Smith makes bad decisions on where to throw.

I'm leaning toward preferring a guy who has better decision making, pocket presence, accuracy, and arm strength at the expense of mobility.

Guys like Jones, Wilson, and Glennon seem to be a bit more like that then Smith and Manuel. But none of them stands out as having great decision making to me and all are pretty mediocre overall.

X-Era
11-14-2012, 07:19 AM
I think there are a few who are, I think the market is balancing out some and deflating some stock that we would normally see as very high. We have three legit first round QB's and 3-4 legit 2nd Rounders, that's a strong class.
I guess many, including me, would like to see a draft with more sure fire guys rather than a lot of possible legit starters.

I keep thinking it's more like a bunch of Dalton and Ponders without the Newton.

I can see Barkley and Smith as 1st rounders but who's the 3rd?

DraftBoy
11-14-2012, 07:28 AM
I guess many, including me, would like to see a draft with more sure fire guys rather than a lot of possible legit starters.

I keep thinking it's more like a bunch of Dalton and Ponders without the Newton.

I can see Barkley and Smith as 1st rounders but who's the 3rd?

Wilson will go Round 1, no doubt.

Bmax
11-20-2012, 06:40 PM
No way on Jones...falls apart in pocket... Nassib over Dysert....Glennon over both....

DesertFox24
11-21-2012, 07:00 AM
No one talks about mike glennon he is not bad no first rounder but maybe a second rounder.

He throws down the field is accurate over the middle.

Only thing that we can not see from tv is does he throw goes open and anticipate them being open. That was Nix's big criteria.

Bmax
12-30-2012, 05:22 PM
I like Nassib not for us in rd 1 but 2 or 3..has smarts and toughness.. good arm some mobilty..
Logan Thomas-Love his upside..rd 2 or 3..
Tyler Bray- Love his size and arm..
Barkley-Exp and accuracy...
Murray UGA-IF HE COMES OUT.. see above..

Dislike
Geno Smith-falls apart in games..once it goes bad..
Landry Jones-lacks toughness

CleveSteve
01-02-2013, 04:06 PM
I like Boyd the best of the eligible QBs, though it's not clear if he comes out.

Smith will likely be taken by either KC or JAX, so he's of no interest to me.

Bray is the guy I like next. Sure he's inconsistent, but so is just about everyone in this draft. At least he has the ability to put up 450 and 4 TDs every once in a while. I don't see that from any of the other guys.

Don't like Glennon. Strong arm and not much else. Very much like Weeden to me.

Manuel is very inconsistent, echoing above, and doesn't really have any great tools to make up for it IMO.

Landry Jones is terrible and everyone knows it. Even he knows it.

Wittek did Barkley a big favor by stinking up the joint in the Sun Bowl. A lot of perception that Barkley's success was all the guys around him.

Mouldsie
01-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Down on Smith. Same on Dysert. Nassib also in the mix with Dysert range. Tyler Wilson is probably my favorite QB so far. This class is interesting. Could go in any order and I could see them all failing TBH

CleveSteve
01-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Wilson really turned me off throwing his team under the bus after a game he didn't even play in. He really didn't perform that well when he was in anyway.