PDA

View Full Version : Have a feeling we will make a Trade for someone significant...

Mahdi
10-22-2012, 07:34 AM
Bills FO knows this year has to be playoffs. With all the parity in the league right now with so many teams without winning records, our weak schedule and the investment already made in the team the Bills might have to make a big trade now to beef up either the defense or load up on offense.

djjimkelly
10-22-2012, 07:38 AM
trade deadline is over

Mahdi
10-22-2012, 07:42 AM
trade deadline is over

Trade deadline is not over. Tuesday after week 8 games. It got extended this year.

Novacane
10-22-2012, 07:47 AM
A trade won't fix this mess.

Lefty2985
10-22-2012, 07:53 AM
You're dreaming you know that's not gonna happen

Mahdi
10-22-2012, 07:55 AM
You're dreaming you know that's not gonna happen

We also knew we would never sign Mark Anderson...

Jeff1220
10-22-2012, 07:55 AM

...at this point, I'm wishing they hadn't.

Mahdi
10-22-2012, 07:56 AM
A trade won't fix this mess.

One player on defense could make a big difference. A MLB that could help defend the middle of the field in the pass and run game would be huge.

jamze132
10-22-2012, 07:58 AM
Unless we can trade for a competent DC who can spell the word "blitz", we're doomed.

Anyone wanna take a guess on how long opposing OCs take to gameplan for the Buffalo Bills vaunted defense? if you said 5 minutes, you're correct!

djjimkelly
10-22-2012, 08:09 AM
Trade deadline is not over. Tuesday after week 8 games. It got extended this year.

thx for the info

OpIv37
10-22-2012, 08:22 AM

If anything, that's a reason why we WON'T make a trade.

Ralph broke the mold by re-signing Stevie and getting Mario and Anderson this off-season.

So far, it's blown up in his face. That will be his excuse to go back to the same old, cheap, stay-the-course Ralph that we know so well.

In '02 we traded for Bledsoe, then we signed Adams, Spikes and Fletcher. We had a good D for a few years, but it never got us anywhere. Ralph then went cheap for a few years before he went out and spent big on Dockery and Walker. That blew up in his face too, so he went cheap for a few years, let some guys walk, didn't make any significant trades or FA signings, etc. Now, he goes out and spends, and again it blows up in his face. Time to tighten the purse strings for another 3 or 4 years....

jdaltroy5
10-22-2012, 08:24 AM
One player on defense could make a big difference. A MLB that could help defend the middle of the field in the pass and run game would be huge.

Most teams generally tend to keep their MLB that can help defend the middle of the field.

It doesn't matter anyway, unless we can trade for a new DC.

X-Era
10-22-2012, 08:24 AM
Couldn't agree more.

I'm not sure we will make a trade but I'd love to see it. If you plan to spend an early pick on a LB (and I feel we should), I'd be fine with trading that pick for a solid starter now.

I'd also be fine with a move for a WR or QB as well.

If your serious about winning this year you have to see what we all see... We still have holes at a few spots.

X-Era
10-22-2012, 08:25 AM
If anything, that's a reason why we WON'T make a trade.

Ralph broke the mold by re-signing Stevie and getting Mario and Anderson this off-season.

So far, it's blown up in his face. That will be his excuse to go back to the same old, cheap, stay-the-course Ralph that we know so well.

In '02 we traded for Bledsoe, then we signed Adams, Spikes and Fletcher. We had a good D for a few years, but it never got us anywhere. Ralph then went cheap for a few years before he went out and spent big on Dockery and Walker. That blew up in his face too, so he went cheap for a few years, let some guys walk, didn't make any significant trades or FA signings, etc. Now, he goes out and spends, and again it blows up in his face. Time to tighten the purse strings for another 3 or 4 years....
Are you advocating for us to throw in the towel on upgrading the roster?

DynaPaul
10-22-2012, 08:26 AM
All the best players in the world won't make a lick of difference without a competent coaching staff that knows how to gameplan and knows how to get in player's faces and make them accountable for their failures. No more sauntering back to the bench without getting an earful from somebody. Gailey should have slapped Fitzpatrick upside the head after that interception and Wanny should have been screaming his lungs out at the defense all game.

X-Era
10-22-2012, 08:28 AM
All the best players in the world won't make a lick of difference without a competent coaching staff that knows how to gameplan and knows how to get in player's faces and make them accountable for their failures. No more sauntering back to the bench without getting an earful from somebody. Gailey should have slapped Fitzpatrick upside the head after that interception and Wanny should have been screaming his lungs out at the defense all game.
And a HOF coaching staff can't do squat with sub-par players... It's both.

We really don't know what Gailey said to Fitz or what Wanny's reaction was to the defense.

OpIv37
10-22-2012, 08:32 AM
Are you advocating for us to throw in the towel on upgrading the roster?

I'm not advocating anything. I'm simply saying that, based on how he's acted in the past, this is what Ralph is going to do. Don't expect any significant changes at the trade deadline because historically, that's just not how Ralph operates.

zone
10-22-2012, 09:06 AM
1 player will not help, watching the defense get thrashed weekly is worse than watching the bend but don't break tampa 2 for years. Our 2nd biggest mistake ever (1st was running Polian out of town) was letting Dick LeBeau leave Buffalo.

EDS
10-22-2012, 11:06 AM

It would take Patrick Willis to fix the Bills defense and somehow I doubt he is available.

Skooby
10-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Even if we took all of Houston's defensive players & made them Bills, it wouldn't mean one lick of beans without the proper coaching staff to implement a plan. We have defensive sets that are child like to read & the coaches refuse to adjust accordingly during the game, in case you're wondering why the Bills are getting smoked during the second half. We have to make in-game adjustments & focus our efforts on whatever our opponents are attacking, like have a passing set during running downs & vice-verse.

As I have posted on here months ago, Dave W. is in way over his head & earned his job through previous success / friendship. Name how many friends do a job as well as a stranger that needs to earn it, not many being the answer. Lose the stash, we're going nowhere with him.

Mahdi
10-22-2012, 11:10 AM
It would take Patrick Willis to fix the Bills defense and somehow I doubt he is available.

I was thinking more like Derrick Johnson. Would be huge upgrade for us and does everything well.

User Manuel
10-22-2012, 12:29 PM
The problem starts at the top, it is obvious top coaching talent is avoiding us like the plague, this Reflects on Ralph and the whole team situation. Nobody with a future wants to part of the coming uncertainty and potential move. Sadly, the ONLY thing, IMO, that ends our pain is a new owner and either the new era starts here or they move away.

kingJofNYC
10-22-2012, 12:39 PM
You're pretty delusional if you think one player will change this defense.

We signed a guy to a $100m contract to change this defense, how'd that work out? Now we should trade for this mythical MLB that will change everything.

Mahdi
10-22-2012, 12:53 PM
You're pretty delusional if you think one player will change this defense.

We signed a guy to a $100m contract to change this defense, how'd that work out? Now we should trade for this mythical MLB that will change everything.

:nod:

trapezeus
10-22-2012, 01:02 PM
you can't trade for defensive coordinators.

there were times in the game where receivers were wide open just by lining up on the line of scrimmage. me, a guy with no nfl experience would shout out, "who has that guy in the slot, and 5 yards later the guy had the ball and was running up field for another 3-5 yards.

The defense is a mess. no single player can solve it.

X-Era
10-22-2012, 01:16 PM
My guess is we will hear trade rumors by Thursday at the latest... I'm expecting a day or so for the staff to digest the last game and another day to discuss where we are at and what to do about it. The bye week makes the most sense for a move and the trade deadline is Oct 30th which means we would get an extra week of acclimation prior to playing real games.

X-Era
10-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Since the Chiefs may be sellers, I wouldn't mind Dwayne Bowe, Brandon Flowers, or Derrick Johnson.

Maybe Cleveland are sellers as well, I wouldn't mind D'Qwell Jackson.

Thoughts? Any other teams players? Dallas is one of the teams that seems to make moves.

Apparently the Rams are sellers:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/20631013

James Laurinaitis?

Mahdi
10-22-2012, 01:35 PM
Since the Chiefs may be sellers, I wouldn't mind Dwayne Bowe, Brandon Flowers, or Derrick Johnson.

Thoughts? Any other teams players? Dallas is one of the teams that seems to make moves.

James Laurinaitis?

Im sure Freeney is available and would help us get after QBs. Oakland is always willing to deal so maybe Seymour or Carson Palmer?

better days
10-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Im sure Freeney is available and would help us get after QBs. Oakland is always willing to deal so maybe Seymour or Carson Palmer?

Well, what would you be willing to give up for Freeney, Seymour or Palmer or anyone else talked about? I would rather keep the draft picks myself than trade for a short term answer.

YardRat
10-22-2012, 03:02 PM
I'd be stunned if we pulled the trigger on anything right now. And, LeBeau was never going to stay here anyway, it was a courtesy hire to keep him employed and involved until he could return to Pittsburgh.

Turf
10-22-2012, 03:16 PM
Even if we took all of Houston's defensive players & made them Bills, it wouldn't mean one lick of beans without the proper coaching staff to implement a plan. We have defensive sets that are child like to read & the coaches refuse to adjust accordingly during the game, in case you're wondering why the Bills are getting smoked during the second half. We have to make in-game adjustments & focus our efforts on whatever our opponents are attacking, like have a passing set during running downs & vice-verse.

As I have posted on here months ago, Dave W. is in way over his head & earned his job through previous success / friendship. Name how many friends do a job as well as a stranger that needs to earn it, not many being the answer. Lose the stash, we're going nowhere with him.

Child like best describes the Bills defense. Gailey can't manage the field on game day. He's a decent offensive coach, but needs a head coach to reel him in and tell him what he can't call, and manage the game. While Fitz is obviously bad, and the LBs are bad as I kept saying at the beginning of the year, the overall talent isn't as bad as they are playing. A real head coach and staff could have this team at 5-2 right now.

kingJofNYC
10-22-2012, 03:30 PM
Rams just extended Laurinaitis, do you realize the cap hit they would take. Same thing with Jackson, and Flowers was resigned last season I believe. I'm sure all three teams want to take large dead cap hits.

Nothing will happen, deal with it.

BillsFever21
10-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Unless it was a good young player that we would have for several years to help build around then what's the sense? This team isn't going anywhere with Gailey and Wanny in charge. I'd rather save the draft picks if it's just some older player on the verge of being or already past his prime that won't be around for more then a year or two.

EDS
10-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Unless it was a good young player that we would have for several years to help build around then what's the sense? This team isn't going anywhere with Gailey and Wanny in charge. I'd rather save the draft picks if it's just some older player on the verge of being or already past his prime that won't be around for more then a year or two.

I agree. I would not trade any assets of value solely to get a bump in the standings this season. That would represent a move by a front office only looking to save their jobs.Lack of linebacker talent has been painfully obvious for several years now, so no excuses.

SABURZFAN
10-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Bills FO knows this year has to be playoffs. With all the parity in the league right now with so many teams without winning records, our weak schedule and the investment already made in the team the Bills might have to make a big trade now to beef up either the defense or load up on offense.

i hear JP Lossman is available. :birds:

trapezeus
10-22-2012, 04:30 PM
id want a trade if we were close and playing well but just falling short. but we've given up 35+ points in 4 of 6 games. We have given away 3 of 4 games that should have been wins.

One player isn't going to be the difference. Why waste the pick to "improve" Why not trade and get more picks.

Mr. Pink
10-22-2012, 04:45 PM

James Laurinaitis?

Ummm why would Cleveland trade one of it's few actually talented players? They have basically an entire lame duck front office. They won't be doing anything.

- - - Updated - - -

i hear JP Lossman is available. :birds:

So is Lee Evans!

Mahdi
10-23-2012, 07:29 AM
id want a trade if we were close and playing well but just falling short. but we've given up 35+ points in 4 of 6 games. We have given away 3 of 4 games that should have been wins.

One player isn't going to be the difference. Why waste the pick to "improve" Why not trade and get more picks.

You know how many 3rd down conversions we allowed against Tenn? If we could have gotten to Hasselbeck just two more times we would have ended their TD drives early and would have won in the end. Our major problem is stopping 3rd down pass plays because we can't get to the QB or even near him.

Freeney could make a little difference for us in that area, and a little difference in our pass rush can actually make a big difference overall.

Heck, having Moore play LDE in the second half in pass rushing situations was an improvement over Mario Williams. We just need someone that can force the QB off his point.