PDA

View Full Version : Is George Wilson good enough at Safety?

Mahdi
10-22-2012, 07:38 AM
Too many times we concede big plays for TDs right down the middle of our defense and its often down the inside right seem.

It seems to me like George keeps his starting job because he makes big plays every now and then that make him look real good. But too often he either botches his responsibility or is not fast enough to close the gap down the middle.

I think Searcy needs to be given a shot...

Also, although Byrd has made some nice plays this year, he hasn't been great in limiting big gains on the ground.

Night Train
10-22-2012, 08:06 AM
No, but he's a great story ! Coy Wire, anyone ?

The King
10-22-2012, 08:24 AM
I think the ****tiness of our LBers make Wilson look worse. When a guy can go untouched through the 2nd layer of defense the safety is often going to be trailing someone needs to slow the ball carrier down for the safety to have a chance.

Mouldsie
10-22-2012, 09:43 AM
I'm more concerned with his poor pass coverage this year

Ed
10-22-2012, 09:48 AM
No. That's why the Bills wanted to draft Mark Barron with their first pick of this last draft, but Tampa got to him first.

Jaybird
10-22-2012, 09:48 AM
He should be on the bench.. he gets gurned all day! I was a huge George Fan prior to this season (and end of last). He is Roy Williams type safety; Great in the box (me too btw :), but can;t cover the deep pass.

EDS
10-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Unfortunately, George Wilson is not the biggest problem on the defense and equally unfortunately he is the second best safety on the team.

Buffalogic
10-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Wilson is done. And to think a bunch of people were crying that they didn't want barron because we had wilson...What a joke

trapezeus
10-22-2012, 12:40 PM
george wilson was angry all day. he was pushing after the play, looking for fights. very un wilson like.

BertSquirtgum
10-22-2012, 12:49 PM
To answer the question. No he is not good enough to be a starting safety. That's why he was a bench warmer when Jauron was here. Even he had enough aptitude to know that.

Mahdi
10-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Maybe Whitner was a better player and should have been kept?

BertSquirtgum
10-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Maybe Whitner was a better player and should have been kept?

For three million a year, IMO, yes, he should have been kept. He had an annoying big mouth but wasn't as bad as everyone on here said.

trapezeus
10-22-2012, 12:59 PM
whitner is making same mistakes in san fran as he was here. on a good team, he isn't a glaring problem. on a bad team he is. i wouldn't take whitner back.

Mahdi
10-22-2012, 12:59 PM
For three million a year, IMO, yes, he should have been kept. He had an annoying big mouth but wasn't as bad as everyone on here said.

Well Bills fans have a tendency to pick out 10 plays in a season to judge a player by. Whitner had bad plays like anyone else, but he had good range and positioning.

Mahdi
10-22-2012, 01:01 PM
whitner is making same mistakes in san fran as he was here. on a good team, he isn't a glaring problem. on a bad team he is. i wouldn't take whitner back.

With that mentality you end up with inferior players because you're not going to have a PBer at every position. Whitner was a solid safety. George is a playmaking safety who is often out of position or not quick enough to recover.

I would rather have the guy that keeps things clean in front of him.

trapezeus
10-22-2012, 01:44 PM
whitner wouldn't succeed. he is going to scueed with a team that has push from the front 7. then he can kind of float around and help out safeties.

but he couldn't cover a slot receiver for his life. he still can't. he is where you go for a third down conversion.

YardRat
10-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Well Bills fans have a tendency to pick out 10 plays in a season to judge a player by. Whitner had bad plays like anyone else, but he had good range and positioning.

If Whitner had good range and positioning, TE's wouldn't have made their hay on us just about every week he lined up for us.

Wilson has lost a step (if he ever had it) and is a liability in coverage...just like Donte was and still is.

And, yes, we need to upgrade that position.