PDA

View Full Version : How about considering the "Other Gruden"

Albany,n.y.
10-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Jay Gruden is currently the Bengals OC after being a successful head coach in Arenaball & the UFL, winning championships in Arenaball & getting his UFL team to the championship game. The guy also was a success as a player in Arenaball, so he's not some guy who has worn a suit his whole career.
This guy will be a successful NFL head coach & isn't it about time we hire the next guy to make it big out of the assistant ranks. He's worked his way up the ladder, comes from an NFL family (father & brother) and has been a head coach, just not at the NFL level-yet.
Jay Gruden for Bills head coach in 2013.

http://www.bengals.com/team/coaches/Gruden-Jay/7c47da98-6b51-4405-998b-2b706069c0b6

Ingtar33
10-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Buffalo, where top head coaching candidates come to die.

Seriously. Who in their right mind would volunteerly come to this city, with an ownership situation in doubt (dying owner), a lease about to run out, and this type of track record of coaching death?

Albany,n.y.
10-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Buffalo, where top head coaching candidates come to die.

Seriously. Who in their right mind would volunteerly come to this city, with an ownership situation in doubt (dying owner), a lease about to run out, and this type of track record of coaching death?

A good assistant coach who is on a team that doesn't make the playoffs when most of the hot assistants who are on the fast track come from playoff teams. If you offer enough money & power & you think outside the box, you can get the guy who would be the #1 assistant on everyone's 2014 list in 2013. If you wait until the guy is the talk of the league, then he's not coming to Buffalo. Isn't it about time for the team to be proactive instead of reactive?
Just think how bad the last 2 coaching choices have been: Gailey was straight off a pre-season firing as OC in KC & we promoted him off his firing. Jauron was coming off his dismissal after his final year in Detroit as DC & interim HC. These choices of guys rejected by their former employers & promoted by the Bills after previously failing in their NFL head coaching stints was absurd!

YardRat
10-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Who is he bringing with him to OC and DC?

DraftBoy
10-22-2012, 06:36 PM
OC-Hue Jackson
DC-Mark Carrier

jamze132
10-23-2012, 04:47 AM
Who is he bringing with him to OC and DC?

Chan Gailey and Dave Wannstadt

OLDSRIP
10-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Op, I get what you are saying about the next hot coaching prospects.
but isn't that what they tried with Greg Williams and Mike Malarkey?
those didn't end well. Who know what the right answer is at this point.

stuckincincy
10-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Jay Gruden is currently the Bengals OC after being a successful head coach in Arenaball & the UFL, winning championships in Arenaball & getting his UFL team to the championship game. The guy also was a success as a player in Arenaball, so he's not some guy who has worn a suit his whole career.
This guy will be a successful NFL head coach & isn't it about time we hire the next guy to make it big out of the assistant ranks. He's worked his way up the ladder, comes from an NFL family (father & brother) and has been a head coach, just not at the NFL level-yet.
Jay Gruden for Bills head coach in 2013.

http://www.bengals.com/team/coaches/Gruden-Jay/7c47da98-6b51-4405-998b-2b706069c0b6

After a spiffy start with CIN this season, his play calling has been an absolute dud in CIN's three straight losses. Yes, he's gone away from the 10 year tradition of CIN running left. In PGH@CIN, he made no long pass calls; AJ Green had but three tossed his way, with 1 reception - an 8 yd td pass.

Don't shine his star yet - he is a (marginal) improvement over CIN's arch-idiot 10 yr. OC, Bratkowski.

I suspect he's being sucked into the Mike Brown/Marvin Lewis Borg Collective.

Albany,n.y.
10-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Op, I get what you are saying about the next hot coaching prospects.
but isn't that what they tried with Greg Williams and Mike Malarkey?
those didn't end well. Who know what the right answer is at this point.

Neither of these guys had prior head coaching experience. Even though it's Arena & UFL Gruden has already been a successful head coach. Personally, I could care less what his offense is playing like in Cincinnati-I'm looking at him, his experience as a HC, pedigree & I'm looking at his ability to move up the ranks in the NFL from part time assistant to OC. As I said, I'd rather get him when he's a little cold than when he's red hot. In my opinion a year or 2 from now, if he's not already a HC, he'll be at the top of everyone's list and won't want to come here when he can pick and choose. He'll be hungry this winter for any HC job, pretty soon he'll have the upper hand.
Plus, say the Bills do this & they & I are totally wrong-can he really be any worse than Gailey? If he is you fire him & move on.

OLDSRIP
10-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Neither of these guys had prior head coaching experience. Even though it's Arena & UFL Gruden has already been a successful head coach. Personally, I could care less what his offense is playing like in Cincinnati-I'm looking at him, his experience as a HC, pedigree & I'm looking at his ability to move up the ranks in the NFL from part time assistant to OC. As I said, I'd rather get him when he's a little cold than when he's red hot. In my opinion a year or 2 from now, if he's not already a HC, he'll be at the top of everyone's list and won't want to come here when he can pick and choose. He'll be hungry this winter for any HC job, pretty soon he'll have the upper hand.
Plus, say the Bills do this & they & I are totally wrong-can he really be any worse than Gailey? If he is you fire him & move on.
Good point about having some heads coaching in his background. I really don't know much about him. But he does come from a solid coaching family.

stuckincincy
10-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Good point about having some heads coaching in his background. I really don't know much about him. But he does come from a solid coaching family.

I watch the CIN games. I give in a C minus, at best.