• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Potential Coaching Candidates

After seeing some of the posts on how you fix this team, some of you are more broken than this organization.

You need to hire a no nonsense, hard-ass coach. These players are not playing at a professional level and they need a coach to bring that out of them. Now who's going to do it? Cowher isn't going to coach here, Gruden would be a long shot, so they're not in the conversation. Who is?

Vin Fangio - He's been in the Ravens Organization as an Asst Head Coach, and he's been with Jim Harbaugh since 2010. He's currently the 49ers DC. He's widely given credit for the turn-around of the 49ers defensive unit last year. He was also the DC in Houston when Mario Williams was drafted.

Dick Lebeau - Is there a more attractive candidate anywhere? His first stint as a HC wasn't a smash hit and at this stage of the game he probably wouldn't leave Pittsburgh but he's a defensive genius.

Gus Bradley - Hand groomed by Monte Kiffin, Bradley managed to keep his job in Seattle under the regime change and after getting a few pieces in place he improved the Seahawks defense to a top 10 squad last year. This year they're a force obviously.

Rob Ryan - Garrett will most likely be out in Dallas meaning his staff will be looking for work. Ryan worked under Bellicheck from 2000-2003, he went on to become the DC in Oakland, where his squad was up and down, but much like organization. Since then he's headed up the defense in CLE and now in DAL, middle of the pack in both places but this year the Cowboys are top 5 in YPG and in total points. Given his family history he may be on the list.

Chip Kelly - Easily one of the most hyped coaches in the college ranks in recent memory. Many teams will be knocking on his door and I doubt he answers any calls, never mind Buffalo's. I'm also not convinced he could make it in the pro's.

Andy Reid - Based on the latest disaster in Philly Reid will probably take a year or two off before looking for a new gig. But his name will certainly be thrown around. I could see him benefiting from a change of scenery being his major flaw was laying the team in Vicks hands.

I think whoever comes in would have to deal with the elephant in the room. Fitzpatrick. He will forever be tied to Gailey and his regime and ultimately will have to go. I don't know if a QB is a must in the 2013 draft but a scheme change on offense is. Ball control! Throw the ball 20x a game max. Get smart on defense and control the football.
    Last edited by The King; 11-26-2012, 03:25 PM.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Potential Coaching Candidates

I'm not even convinced that Gailey will get fired.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• utmhead
      • Oct 2005

Lebeau I think is 70 Years old... Why would he leave Pitt, They have a chance every year to win a Superbowl.. I would think at his age all he care about is a chance to win a superbowl not a rebuilding project....
      Ryan would be good, but I can see him taking over a Head Coach of Dallas at years end.
      Fangio and Bradley I do not know enough to comment on them....

Comment

• Jamiezzz
        • Jan 2010

Seattles def coordinator!! Not sure of his name of the top of my head, but like what he's done over there.

Comment

• Jaybird
          • Dec 2005

Lebeau does not want to be a HC at this point, he has mentioned that before. Also, don't think we make a change

Comment

• The King
            Without me it's just Awe so
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jamiezzz View Post
            Seattles def coordinator!! Not sure of his name of the top of my head, but like what he's done over there.
            That's Gus Bradley. See OP.
            I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
            "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
            You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
            It was all
            true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
            He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
            mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• zone
              No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by utmhead View Post
              Lebeau I think is 70 Years old... Why would he leave Pitt, They have a chance every year to win a Superbowl.. I would think at his age all he care about is a chance to win a superbowl not a rebuilding project....
              Ryan would be good, but I can see him taking over a Head Coach of Dallas at years end.
              Fangio and Bradley I do not know enough to comment on them....
              He is 75 (not that he looks it) but we had our chance with him when he was here and we let him walk.
              www.blzbus.com

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by The King View Post
                After seeing some of the posts on how you fix this team, some of you are more broken than this organization.

You need to hire a no nonsense, hard-ass coach. These players are not playing at a professional level and they need a coach to bring that out of them. Now who's going to do it? Cowher isn't going to coach here, Gruden would be a long shot, so they're not in the conversation. Who is?

Vin Fangio - He's been in the Ravens Organization as an Asst Head Coach, and he's been with Jim Harbaugh since 2010. He's currently the 49ers DC. He's widely given credit for the turn-around of the 49ers defensive unit last year. He was also the DC in Houston when Mario Williams was drafted.

Dick Lebeau - Is there a more attractive candidate anywhere? His first stint as a HC wasn't a smash hit and at this stage of the game he probably wouldn't leave Pittsburgh but he's a defensive genius.

Gus Bradley - Hand groomed by Monte Kiffin, Bradley managed to keep his job in Seattle under the regime change and after getting a few pieces in place he improved the Seahawks defense to a top 10 squad last year. This year they're a force obviously.

Rob Ryan - Garrett will most likely be out in Dallas meaning his staff will be looking for work. Ryan worked under Bellicheck from 2000-2003, he went on to become the DC in Oakland, where his squad was up and down, but much like organization. Since then he's headed up the defense in CLE and now in DAL, middle of the pack in both places but this year the Cowboys are top 5 in YPG and in total points. Given his family history he may be on the list.

I think whoever comes in would have to deal with the elephant in the room. Fitzpatrick. He will forever be tied to Gailey and his regime and ultimately will have to go. I don't know if a QB is a must in the 2013 draft but a scheme change on offense is. Ball control! Throw the ball 20x a game max. Get smart on defense and control the football.
                Maybe the Bills should go the route the Seahawks, and 49ers did, and grab a guy from the college ranks for their next HC. Who would be good candidates if that were a possible direction? Wondering.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Jay Gruden OC of Bengals. He's hidden Andy Dalton's issue for a couple of years now and really allowed the law firm to blossom this season. Good lineage as well.
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• GingerP
                    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                    Jay Gruden OC of Bengals. He's hidden Andy Dalton's issue for a couple of years now and really allowed the law firm to blossom this season. Good lineage as well.
                    I'm not sold. I think A.J. Green, easily a top-5 WR already and on his way to #1, has hidden Dalton's issues more than Gruden.

As for Green-Ellis, I think he blossomed back in 2010 when he had a 1,000 yard season for the Pats. This year he has "blossomed" to the tune of 3.4 YPC and the first 3 fumbles of his career (2 lost). RB is an issue for the Bengals, and Green-Ellis is not the solution. The lack of a run game is why they are middle-of-the pack offense.

If they go get a Gruden, get Jon. At least he has a track record of success at the NFL level.

Comment

• Crisis
                      • Aug 2004

Every three years we have this thread. So depressing.
                      Originally posted by LOSman WINS
                      Vanek is Austrian not European
                      Originally posted by Prov401
                      Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
                      Originally posted by better days
                      I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by GingerP View Post
                        I'm not sold. I think A.J. Green, easily a top-5 WR already and on his way to #1, has hidden Dalton's issues more than Gruden.

As for Green-Ellis, I think he blossomed back in 2010 when he had a 1,000 yard season for the Pats. This year he has "blossomed" to the tune of 3.4 YPC and the first 3 fumbles of his career (2 lost). RB is an issue for the Bengals, and Green-Ellis is not the solution. The lack of a run game is why they are middle-of-the pack offense.

If they go get a Gruden, get Jon. At least he has a track record of success at the NFL level.
                        So Gruden gets not credit for a player's success while he's there but all the blame for a player's issues? Kinda seems odd. BJE is fine for Cincy the issue is their line at the moment.
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Mouldsie
                          • Aug 2012

I want someone in the mold of Mike Tomlin. Which of those guys has an edge to him and a no nonsense attitude?

I like the attitude of the 49ers and Seahawks and Steelers but would we see that same toughness with these coordinators or is that coming from the head coach?

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Crisis View Post
                            Word, it really is.

We all know it won't be a big name, I'll stick with coordinators J.Gruden, Fangio, Ray Horton, Greg Roman, and I'll throw Mike Pettine's name in there as well.

Comment

• Cntrygal
                              Visually stunning but camera-shy.
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Crisis View Post

I think we have it a lot more often than that.
                              Originally posted by notacon
                              The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

Working...
                              X