PDA

View Full Version : Potential Coaching Candidates

The King
10-22-2012, 10:30 AM
After seeing some of the posts on how you fix this team, some of you are more broken than this organization.

You need to hire a no nonsense, hard-ass coach. These players are not playing at a professional level and they need a coach to bring that out of them. Now who's going to do it? Cowher isn't going to coach here, Gruden would be a long shot, so they're not in the conversation. Who is?

Vin Fangio - He's been in the Ravens Organization as an Asst Head Coach, and he's been with Jim Harbaugh since 2010. He's currently the 49ers DC. He's widely given credit for the turn-around of the 49ers defensive unit last year. He was also the DC in Houston when Mario Williams was drafted.

Dick Lebeau - Is there a more attractive candidate anywhere? His first stint as a HC wasn't a smash hit and at this stage of the game he probably wouldn't leave Pittsburgh but he's a defensive genius.

Gus Bradley - Hand groomed by Monte Kiffin, Bradley managed to keep his job in Seattle under the regime change and after getting a few pieces in place he improved the Seahawks defense to a top 10 squad last year. This year they're a force obviously.

Rob Ryan - Garrett will most likely be out in Dallas meaning his staff will be looking for work. Ryan worked under Bellicheck from 2000-2003, he went on to become the DC in Oakland, where his squad was up and down, but much like organization. Since then he's headed up the defense in CLE and now in DAL, middle of the pack in both places but this year the Cowboys are top 5 in YPG and in total points. Given his family history he may be on the list.

Chip Kelly - Easily one of the most hyped coaches in the college ranks in recent memory. Many teams will be knocking on his door and I doubt he answers any calls, never mind Buffalo's. I'm also not convinced he could make it in the pro's.

Andy Reid - Based on the latest disaster in Philly Reid will probably take a year or two off before looking for a new gig. But his name will certainly be thrown around. I could see him benefiting from a change of scenery being his major flaw was laying the team in Vicks hands.

I think whoever comes in would have to deal with the elephant in the room. Fitzpatrick. He will forever be tied to Gailey and his regime and ultimately will have to go. I don't know if a QB is a must in the 2013 draft but a scheme change on offense is. Ball control! Throw the ball 20x a game max. Get smart on defense and control the football.

OpIv37
10-22-2012, 10:48 AM
I'm not even convinced that Gailey will get fired.

utmhead
10-22-2012, 10:54 AM
Lebeau I think is 70 Years old... Why would he leave Pitt, They have a chance every year to win a Superbowl.. I would think at his age all he care about is a chance to win a superbowl not a rebuilding project....
Ryan would be good, but I can see him taking over a Head Coach of Dallas at years end.
Fangio and Bradley I do not know enough to comment on them....

Jamiezzz
10-22-2012, 10:56 AM
Seattles def coordinator!! Not sure of his name of the top of my head, but like what he's done over there.

Jaybird
10-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Lebeau does not want to be a HC at this point, he has mentioned that before. Also, don't think we make a change

The King
10-22-2012, 10:59 AM
Seattles def coordinator!! Not sure of his name of the top of my head, but like what he's done over there.

That's Gus Bradley. See OP.

zone
10-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Lebeau I think is 70 Years old... Why would he leave Pitt, They have a chance every year to win a Superbowl.. I would think at his age all he care about is a chance to win a superbowl not a rebuilding project....
Ryan would be good, but I can see him taking over a Head Coach of Dallas at years end.
Fangio and Bradley I do not know enough to comment on them....

He is 75 (not that he looks it) but we had our chance with him when he was here and we let him walk.

Extremebillsfan247
10-22-2012, 11:59 AM
After seeing some of the posts on how you fix this team, some of you are more broken than this organization.

You need to hire a no nonsense, hard-ass coach. These players are not playing at a professional level and they need a coach to bring that out of them. Now who's going to do it? Cowher isn't going to coach here, Gruden would be a long shot, so they're not in the conversation. Who is?

Vin Fangio - He's been in the Ravens Organization as an Asst Head Coach, and he's been with Jim Harbaugh since 2010. He's currently the 49ers DC. He's widely given credit for the turn-around of the 49ers defensive unit last year. He was also the DC in Houston when Mario Williams was drafted.

Dick Lebeau - Is there a more attractive candidate anywhere? His first stint as a HC wasn't a smash hit and at this stage of the game he probably wouldn't leave Pittsburgh but he's a defensive genius.

Gus Bradley - Hand groomed by Monte Kiffin, Bradley managed to keep his job in Seattle under the regime change and after getting a few pieces in place he improved the Seahawks defense to a top 10 squad last year. This year they're a force obviously.

Rob Ryan - Garrett will most likely be out in Dallas meaning his staff will be looking for work. Ryan worked under Bellicheck from 2000-2003, he went on to become the DC in Oakland, where his squad was up and down, but much like organization. Since then he's headed up the defense in CLE and now in DAL, middle of the pack in both places but this year the Cowboys are top 5 in YPG and in total points. Given his family history he may be on the list.

I think whoever comes in would have to deal with the elephant in the room. Fitzpatrick. He will forever be tied to Gailey and his regime and ultimately will have to go. I don't know if a QB is a must in the 2013 draft but a scheme change on offense is. Ball control! Throw the ball 20x a game max. Get smart on defense and control the football.
Maybe the Bills should go the route the Seahawks, and 49ers did, and grab a guy from the college ranks for their next HC. Who would be good candidates if that were a possible direction? Wondering.

DraftBoy
10-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Jay Gruden OC of Bengals. He's hidden Andy Dalton's issue for a couple of years now and really allowed the law firm to blossom this season. Good lineage as well.

GingerP
10-22-2012, 12:13 PM
Jay Gruden OC of Bengals. He's hidden Andy Dalton's issue for a couple of years now and really allowed the law firm to blossom this season. Good lineage as well.

I'm not sold. I think A.J. Green, easily a top-5 WR already and on his way to #1, has hidden Dalton's issues more than Gruden.

As for Green-Ellis, I think he blossomed back in 2010 when he had a 1,000 yard season for the Pats. This year he has "blossomed" to the tune of 3.4 YPC and the first 3 fumbles of his career (2 lost). RB is an issue for the Bengals, and Green-Ellis is not the solution. The lack of a run game is why they are middle-of-the pack offense.

If they go get a Gruden, get Jon. At least he has a track record of success at the NFL level.

Crisis
10-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Every three years we have this thread. So depressing.

DraftBoy
10-22-2012, 12:22 PM
I'm not sold. I think A.J. Green, easily a top-5 WR already and on his way to #1, has hidden Dalton's issues more than Gruden.

As for Green-Ellis, I think he blossomed back in 2010 when he had a 1,000 yard season for the Pats. This year he has "blossomed" to the tune of 3.4 YPC and the first 3 fumbles of his career (2 lost). RB is an issue for the Bengals, and Green-Ellis is not the solution. The lack of a run game is why they are middle-of-the pack offense.

If they go get a Gruden, get Jon. At least he has a track record of success at the NFL level.

So Gruden gets not credit for a player's success while he's there but all the blame for a player's issues? Kinda seems odd. BJE is fine for Cincy the issue is their line at the moment.

Mouldsie
10-22-2012, 12:22 PM
I want someone in the mold of Mike Tomlin. Which of those guys has an edge to him and a no nonsense attitude?

I like the attitude of the 49ers and Seahawks and Steelers but would we see that same toughness with these coordinators or is that coming from the head coach?

kingJofNYC
10-22-2012, 12:35 PM

Word, it really is.

We all know it won't be a big name, I'll stick with coordinators J.Gruden, Fangio, Ray Horton, Greg Roman, and I'll throw Mike Pettine's name in there as well.

Cntrygal
10-22-2012, 12:39 PM

I think we have it a lot more often than that. :(

trapezeus
10-22-2012, 12:42 PM
again, i would beg this team to go get Bill Cowher. Let gailey slide down to assistent, let cowher go get his defense however he sees fit.

GingerP
10-22-2012, 12:48 PM
So Gruden gets not credit for a player's success while he's there but all the blame for a player's issues? Kinda seems odd. BJE is fine for Cincy the issue is their line at the moment.

BJGE has never been a quality starting back and never will be. He is a guy who will run hard and get tough yards, but he rarely breaks off runs of more than 5 yards. He is a rotation RB who spells your starter while contributing on ST. A dependable player who has a role, same as he always been. Jay Gruden hasn't done anything to make him a better player, and to credit him as doing so is a reach.

Didn't say he Gruden deserves no credit, but the mythology of Jay Gruden is out of control. He has done a good job, but the guy is a 2nd-year coordinator of a middle-of-the-pack offense. What makes anyone think he will excel as a head coach? I guess there is a chance, but he is totally unproven and very inexperienced.

I suppose never-has-been guys like Gruden looks good when comparied to never-was-or-will-be guys like Jauron and Gailey, but it is getting a little old. Why not go out and get Jon Gruden? Granted, he is full of himself, but at least he has shown he can lead a team to wins at the NFL level (on 2 different teams, no less). Hell, he won with an Oakland team that has been every bit as disfunctional as the Bills recently. Get someone who knows what they are doing, for crying out loud.

Historian
10-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Ralph Wilson: "Okay...if I fire Gailey, I can promote that kid he hired to tutor the quarrterback..."

The King
10-22-2012, 12:57 PM
I want someone in the mold of Mike Tomlin. Which of those guys has an edge to him and a no nonsense attitude?

I like the attitude of the 49ers and Seahawks and Steelers but would we see that same toughness with these coordinators or is that coming from the head coach?

I consider everyone of the coaches on my list to be no-nonsense. Hence the OP.

Ed
10-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Maybe the Bills should go the route the Seahawks, and 49ers did, and grab a guy from the college ranks for their next HC. Who would be good candidates if that were a possible direction? Wondering.
Chip Kelly, HC of Oregon. He would be my pick.

I don't think Gailey will be fired. The Bills will still end up winning 7-8 games and they'll give him another year. They'll probably draft a qb who will end up starting next season, but he'll struggle since he's a rookie, and then Gailey will need more time to develop our young qb so he'll be given a couple more years after that.

kingJofNYC
10-22-2012, 01:06 PM
I think I'd prefer a D coordinator than an OC, just have to hope that he hires a good coordinator.

BertSquirtgum
10-22-2012, 01:33 PM
Bills need an owner change.

kingJofNYC
10-22-2012, 01:34 PM
Bills need an owner change.

I thought you wanted the team to stay in Buffalo?

Mouldsie
10-22-2012, 02:15 PM
I consider everyone of the coaches on my list to be no-nonsense. Hence the OP.
I think LeBeau is a great x's and o's guy but I think Tomlin gives the Steelers a killer mentality that they would otherwise lack.... When DL was the HC for the Bengals they weren't so difficult to play against.

LVGrown
10-22-2012, 02:17 PM
I want a coach that is obsessed with running the ball. We are averaging over 6 yards a rush and we only run it 21 times while our lame ass qb throws it 35 times. Whos the Oregon coach? He seems to like running.

The King
11-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Updated.

bf1
11-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Nix already said he's sticking with Chan.

The King
11-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Dismal losses will out weigh loyalty.

justasportsfan
11-26-2012, 03:38 PM
I mentioned Marc Tresman in my thread. He's a qb driven HC. Not saying we should throw all day but he'll definitely find us a qb.

MidnightVoice
11-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Nix already said he's sticking with Chan.

Well, if he gets fired that is no relevance :)

Jeff1220
11-26-2012, 03:47 PM
From Peter King's MMQB:

5. I think these sound like the top five college coaching candidates for NFL head coaching jobs, per chats with front office people in the last two weeks (in order):

1. Chip Kelly, Oregon
2. David Shaw, Stanford
3. Brian Kelly, Notre Dame
4. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa (even coming off the bad season at Iowa, he's well-respected in the NFL)
5. Doug Marrone, Syracuse.

I didn't include Bill O'Brien of Penn State because (and call me naïve) I can't see him preaching love of, and loyalty to, Penn State, and then leaving after 12 months. But never say never in this business.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/11/26/Week-12/index.html#ixzz2DMtl7ySV

mjt328
11-26-2012, 04:20 PM
I want a coach that is obsessed with running the ball. We are averaging over 6 yards a rush and we only run it 21 times while our lame ass qb throws it 35 times. Whos the Oregon coach? He seems to like running.

I want a coach that understands how to use the talent he has available. I hate when coaches come into an organization and try to change everything to suit their schemes and preferences.

Right now we have a great running game and bad passing game, but someday those areas might switch.

Albany,n.y.
11-26-2012, 04:44 PM
BJGE has never been a quality starting back and never will be. He is a guy who will run hard and get tough yards, but he rarely breaks off runs of more than 5 yards. He is a rotation RB who spells your starter while contributing on ST. A dependable player who has a role, same as he always been. Jay Gruden hasn't done anything to make him a better player, and to credit him as doing so is a reach.

Didn't say he Gruden deserves no credit, but the mythology of Jay Gruden is out of control. He has done a good job, but the guy is a 2nd-year coordinator of a middle-of-the-pack offense. What makes anyone think he will excel as a head coach? I guess there is a chance, but he is totally unproven and very inexperienced.

I suppose never-has-been guys like Gruden looks good when comparied to never-was-or-will-be guys like Jauron and Gailey, but it is getting a little old. Why not go out and get Jon Gruden? Granted, he is full of himself, but at least he has shown he can lead a team to wins at the NFL level (on 2 different teams, no less). Hell, he won with an Oakland team that has been every bit as disfunctional as the Bills recently. Get someone who knows what they are doing, for crying out loud.

Jay Gruden had success as a head coach in both Arenaball & the UFL. You're making it sound like he's just some inexperienced coordinator who has never had a taste of head coaching & that's underestimating him. It's going to be a lot easier to bring a guy in under the radar a year early than someone everyone wants-see Jim Harbaugh. Jay Gruden has enough of a resume in football's minor leagues & towers over the college coaches who have never set foot on an NFL field in any capacity.

IAG
11-26-2012, 07:15 PM
Mike Sherman. Should have hired him when Jauron was selected. Can coach QB's and has a nice offensive design. He ran the entire Packers organization for awhile too.

Perry Fewell was my pick when Gailey was picked. Young and upcoming

Ray Horton and Mike Zimmer would interest me too. Horton might be a Mike Tomlin...plus he hates the Pats. He is a 3-4 guy, but at this point whatevs. Mike Zimmer deserves a head coaching opportunity. He is rough around the edges, but would fit with the community.

The Jokeman
11-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Knowing Ralph he'd hire Alex Van Pelt as HC because he has ties to the organization, was important in the "development" of Freeeman in Tampa and now on a winner as in Green Bay.

ublinkwescore
11-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Didnt Marty Schottenheimer want our gig? I vote for him. Maybe he can get ol' gravy stains Wade Phillips over here too

The Jokeman
11-26-2012, 08:35 PM
Didnt Marty Schottenheimer want our gig? I vote for him. Maybe he can get ol' gravy stains Wade Phillips over here too

Not going to happen with Ralph still owning this team.

Mr. Pink
11-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Ferentz, while being a great choice, has stated numerous times that he has no desire to leave Iowa.

If I could pick anyone I wanted to coach this team and they'd automatically take the job, within reason of course on people, Ferentz would be my pick for HC with Trestman as OC.

stuckincincy
11-26-2012, 09:37 PM

NO. He's been absorbed into the Mike Brown Collective, like Smiling Jack. His "skills" were lost during a 4 game loss streak this year.

Jeff1220
11-27-2012, 06:21 AM
Marrone wouldn't be my first choice but the Bills probably wouldn't get a first-choice coach. He is an interesting candidate. He was the Saints OC for the first few years of the Payton/Brees era. He's was an OL as a player and is a Syracuse alum, so upstate NY is pretty familiar to him. While Syracuse hasn't been very good, that probably has more to do with talent/recruiting than X's and O's.

DraftBoy
11-27-2012, 07:10 AM
Ferentz, while being a great choice, has stated numerous times that he has no desire to leave Iowa.

If I could pick anyone I wanted to coach this team and they'd automatically take the job, within reason of course on people, Ferentz would be my pick for HC with Trestman as OC.

He's also maintained that it was due to family being at Iowa, his youngest son is graduating this year which is why his name is being mentioned more and more. If he's ever going to leave this year is the year.

- - - Updated - - -

And please God not Marty Ball.

better days
11-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Knowing Ralph he'd hire Alex Van Pelt as HC because he has ties to the organization, was important in the "development" of Freeeman in Tampa and now on a winner as in Green Bay.

Very questionable about how important Alex was in Freemans development. Alex was only in Tampa one year..................the WORST year in Freemans NFL career.

better days
11-27-2012, 07:47 AM
My vote would be Brian Billick. A Super Bowl winning HC & I think he could bring in a good staff. Most young first time HCs have a hard time finding good assistents.

stuckincincy
11-27-2012, 08:24 AM

The backstory:

BJGE put up good games in CIN's 3 game win streak, averaging 4.8 ypc, and is 10 of 11 on 3rd and 1 conversions and pounds it at the goal line - which was expected. #12 on the rushing tote board. RB Cedric Peerman (special teams ace) is getting playing time, adding speed and moves.

Factors: Off-season acquisition LG Travell Wharton was injured and IR'd...1st play of the 1st ps game. Then C Kyle Cook went out on that re-callable IR thing - due back shortly. They hired old vet Jeff Faine, and while he's still decent in pass protection, is poor in the run game. Faine got banged up 4 games ago (IIRC), and was replaced with a rookie from Notre Dame named Trevor Robinson, and he has been a pleasant surprise for them.

Wharton was replaced by 2nd year player Clint Boling, and he and rookie Zeitler at RG have done better than expected.

Also, CIN has seen a lot of Cover 2 lately, thanks to AJ Green. It opened up the flats for TE Gresham and allows CIN to run 2-back sets, and finally, rookie Mohamed Sanu is playing (Marvin the Idiot feels that if a rookie doesn't "look good" in practice, he doesn't get to play). Sanu's garnered 4 tds in his 3 starts.

Crystal Ball draft prediction: LT Whitworth and RT Smith are a good pair, but Whitworth is getting up in years. I can see CIN in the hunt for a LT in the draft. They have OAK's 2nd from the Palmer trade, which is in the top five to date. That impacts BUF, with their eternal quest for a LT.

Typ0
11-27-2012, 08:33 AM
I think you sit Chan down and say "Chan, your win record sucks. We want to keep you on staff but are also going to interview other people. We want to open doors and opportunities and see what happens."

Fletch
11-27-2012, 09:29 AM

Chip Kelly - Easily one of the most hyped coaches in the college ranks in recent memory. Many teams will be knocking on his door and I doubt he answers any calls, never mind Buffalo's. I'm also not convinced he could make it in the pro's.

Andy Reid - Based on the latest disaster in Philly Reid will probably take a year or two off before looking for a new gig. But his name will certainly be thrown around. I could see him benefiting from a change of scenery being his major flaw was laying the team in Vicks hands.

LOL

How long have you been a Bills fan?

Here's the specially selected list that you get to choose from, kinda like the budget bin at some dept. store:

Mangini

Bruce Coslet

Butch Davis

Rod Marinelli

Dom Capers

Herman Edwards

Lane Kiffin

Mike Nolan

and Steve Spagnuolo

Choose wisely Grasshopper!

stuckincincy
11-27-2012, 09:34 AM
I think you sit Chan down and say "Chan, your win record sucks. We want to keep you on staff but are also going to interview other people. We want to open doors and opportunities and see what happens."

Maybe they will pull the same crap they pulled on Mularkey - fire everybody around him and hope that he quits.

Ed
11-27-2012, 09:35 AM
It seems like every time we've gone through a new coaching search fans always bring up the name Kirk Ferentz. So what is it that is so special about this guy because Iowa's football program doesn't seem to be accomplishing too much. I know they had one good season back in like 2009 where they only lost a couple games after starting out 8-0 or something, but a part from that season they seem to lose a lot of football games. If we were to go with a college coach, wouldn't we want someone that's had more success?

Tatonka
11-27-2012, 10:45 AM
id take chip kelly in a heartbeat.. and he can bring his offense and his entire college team with him.

Ed
11-27-2012, 11:40 AM
id take chip kelly in a heartbeat.. and he can bring his offense and his entire college team with him.
I think he turned down the Tampa Bay job last year. He'd probably be a top candidate for any NFL HC gig, so it's probably unlikely Buffalo would be one of his first choices.

stuckincincy
11-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Eh - they've had 6 head coaches since 2000. Every other year, more or less, yer in yer out. I expect nothing.

trapezeus
11-27-2012, 12:07 PM
problem with keeping anyone is that hurts getting a new coach who is highly sought after. they have become good with people they are comfortable with.

the "chan stay as oc" works if you go for a mediocre mid-level or worse coach. They'll agree to anything.

In the end, the bills would have been better promoting fewell to HC, and making him hire chan as OC. He would have done it most likely. and then ask him to field his own defensive unit.

Historian
11-27-2012, 12:32 PM
I want Haslett dammitt!

Bill Cody
11-27-2012, 01:32 PM
We have an owner noone seems to want to work for and no QB. Explain to me how you're going to attract a top coach with that situation. Having said that I think head coaching experience is a must. It could be the right college coach or a coach with NFL experience. A lot of guys that are good coordinators are just not capable of running the whole show (Man Boobs, Mularkey etc)

Night Train
11-27-2012, 02:01 PM
David Shaw - Stanford

Stanford looks and plays like a pro team. D is far better than when Harbaugh was there.

better days
11-27-2012, 02:06 PM
I think he turned down the Tampa Bay job last year. He'd probably be a top candidate for any NFL HC gig, so it's probably unlikely Buffalo would be one of his first choices.

You are correct, Kelly turned the Bucs down. IMO, the best thing that could have happened to the Bucs. Kelly runs a gimmick offense at Oregon that may not work in the NFL. The Bucs second choice for HC Greg Schiano, the former Rutgers HC, looks to be a great fit for that team.

Ed
11-27-2012, 02:08 PM
problem with keeping anyone is that hurts getting a new coach who is highly sought after. they have become good with people they are comfortable with.

the "chan stay as oc" works if you go for a mediocre mid-level or worse coach. They'll agree to anything.

In the end, the bills would have been better promoting fewell to HC, and making him hire chan as OC. He would have done it most likely. and then ask him to field his own defensive unit.
I guess if there was one coach who would be willing to keep Chan as OC it would be Bill Cowher.

Ed
11-27-2012, 02:11 PM
You are correct, Kelly turned the Bucs down. IMO, the best thing that could have happened to the Bucs. Kelly runs a gimmick offense at Oregon that may not work in the NFL. The Bucs second choice for HC Greg Schiano, the former Rutgers HC, looks to be a great fit for that team.
I don't know, if Kelly is just a gimmick coach why do well respected NFL coaches seek him out for advice and input? What is it about his offense that doesn't translate to the NFL?

better days
11-27-2012, 02:26 PM
I don't know, if Kelly is just a gimmick coach why do well respected NFL coaches seek him out for advice and input? What is it about his offense that doesn't translate to the NFL?

He runs an uptempo spread offense. The QB is prone to be hit in this offense OFTEN, much like Tebow was at Florida & his QBs are at Oregon. If Kelly were to bring this offense to the NFL, it may work & if so Tebow would be the best QB for that offense.

The Jokeman
11-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Very questionable about how important Alex was in Freemans development. Alex was only in Tampa one year..................the WORST year in Freemans NFL career.

I was being sarcastic, sorry I forgot to include the tag.

The Jokeman
11-27-2012, 02:31 PM
He runs an uptempo spread offense. The QB is prone to be hit in this offense OFTEN, much like Tebow was at Florida & his QBs are at Oregon. If Kelly were to bring this offense to the NFL, it may work & if so Tebow would be the best QB for that offense.

Except Tebow can't complete 50% of his passes which makes him a disasterous NFL QB. It's why the unnammed Jets defensive player mentioned they have Sanchez and an athlete at QB.

better days
11-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Except Tebow can't complete 50% of his passes which makes him a disasterous NFL QB. It's why the unnammed Jets defensive player mentioned they have Sanchez and an athlete at QB.

Well, as you said, Tebow is an athlete. That is the type of QB needed for the spread offense & Tebow was VERY SUCCESSFUL running it at Florida. Tebow is not a practice player which everyone should know, he is a GAME day player. I think that is the reason Rex refuses to play him in games except for a handful of snaps. He knows if given the chance Tebow could win games with that team, & he does not want what happened to Orton in Denver last year to happen to Sanchez & the Jets.

The Jokeman
11-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Well, as you said, Tebow is an athlete. That is the type of QB needed for the spread offense & Tebow was VERY SUCCESSFUL running it at Florida. Tebow is not a practice player which everyone should know, he is a GAME day player. I think that is the reason Rex refuses to play him in games except for a handful of snaps. He knows if given the chance Tebow could win games with that team, & he does not want what happened to Orton in Denver last year to happen to Sanchez & the Jets.

Being a successful NFL QB and a successful NCAA QB are worlds apart. There are endless QBs that won the Heisman that mounted to nothing in the NFL. Personally I would no part of Tebow as he's another Flutie and I will admit I'm and always be a Flutie hater, why? Because he can only take you so far and the media circus that follows him is just God awful. I actually give Ryan credit not going to Tebow as it shows he understands that "winning" with him isn't get him to his ultimate goal to win a Super Bowl. That said I might be give Tebow more credit than he deserves because at least Flutie could complete more than 50% of his passes. That's what keeps him on the bench because if Tim could show he could consistantly complete 55-60% of his passes am pretty sure he'd be starting because he definately has some skills but not enough that warrent him to be a full time starter. I mean the Broncos let him go to take a chance on a guy in Peyton Manning 11 years older then Tim and coming off an injury that caused him to miss an entire year. Say what you want but to me that's telling of how much the Broncos felt that Tebow was a long term answer at QB. As you just don't toss away franchise type QBs for 4th Round picks and 6th round picks. Or maybe the Jets just want to ensure that Sanchez isn't a true franchise player and give Tim the reigns in 2013. Either way I am glad he's not on this team.

ublinkwescore
11-28-2012, 03:56 PM
ummm - someone said that Schottenheimer wanted to coach the Bills before we hired Chan... - is there any truth to this? I'd take him in a heartbeat - the chargers had a knack for beating New England under him, and he was consistently in the playoffs and actualy won a game or two in the playoffs too.

kishoph
11-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Perry Fewell ? He's gonna be a head coach somewhere in the NFL very soon, possibly even next season.