PDA

View Full Version : Kelsay Calls Out Team, Players Aren't Playing Hard

kingJofNYC
10-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Effort not there from everyone, players/leaders have let it slide, need to get on the young guys, etc. Kelsay flat out said if you aren't playing hard you shouldn't be on the field, doesn't matter who you are, himself included. Didn't specifically call out anyone, but I found it interesting that he said he'd rather have Shawn Ferguson playing next to him, guy who plays with high effort, than someone who's playing at 50%. Wonder why he chose Ferguson, might be calling out a particular DT again.

His comments are up on WGR. I know it's Kelsay, but at least we're hearing what most of us have already concluded. Pretty damning assessment on both players and coaches. At the very least play hard. When you're hearing talk about guys quitting on plays, or being lazy, it's pretty much a wrap for the coaching staff.

BillsFever21
10-22-2012, 04:11 PM
This is just one more example and knock against our horrible front office and coaching staff. If the players aren't trying and playing hard that falls on the coaching staff. It's their job to motivate their players to play hard and if they don't then you take action.

Some people think that players automatically will should/always try and play hard because they're professionals and in the NFL. That isn't the case with many of them. It takes a good coach to keep a player motivated. Many times players also lose their motivation when they don't believe in the coaching staff and direction of the team.

I can't believe anybody thought Gailey was a good hire 3 years ago. I was against it from the very start. How anybody could still think that he is a competent coach is just a disgrace. We have wasted three more years and we can't waste one more year with this dud. Even if the next one ends up as junk you have to at least try to find a better option. You just don't keep a proven loser in charge in fear that there's a good chance that you won't find anybody better. That is a loser's mentality.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Goodbye Chris, maybe you and Kyle can play together somewhere else next year. Lord knows taking a stand is the best way to get cut by this imbroglio of an organization

trapezeus
10-22-2012, 04:28 PM
to me, with no inside knowledge, this is a dig at dareus. there are rumors swirling from a varietyof reporters that he isn't really giving a full effort.

Ed
10-22-2012, 04:33 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if he was talking about Dareus. He already openly commented on Dareus' effort/consistency a few weeks ago.

BillsFever21
10-22-2012, 04:36 PM
to me, with no inside knowledge, this is a dig at dareus. there are rumors swirling from a varietyof reporters that he isn't really giving a full effort.

If only we had drafted AJ Green like myself and others wanted and then took Dalton in the 2nd round like just about all of us did when he was still sitting there after the first round we would be better off. Sure we needed defensive help but AJ Green was almost as sure thing at WR since Calvin Johnson and god knows we could've used Dalton.

I'm not giving up on Dareus yet but I think I remember reports about him taking games/plays off during his college career. Well we're now seeing it in his professional career.

kingJofNYC
10-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Buscaglia is rewatching the game for his weekly reports, has Dareus at -5 after one half, just ugly.

Not going to pretend that I hated the pick, but I will say that I hated how some fans were flippant/dismissive when you brought up Von Miller/Green/Peterson.

"We don't need another CB, this why we failed with Jauron!" "We don't need another WR, Evans and Johnson are fine!" "We don't need another Aaron Maybin!"

trapezeus
10-22-2012, 05:00 PM
von miller was off the board when we picked. and dareus was a freak and the right build. but how are we supposed to know character issues without being in interview rooms ourselves.
i liked the pick. and i actually like dareus. i don't know why he hasn't chosen to be as dominant as he could be.

it also doesn't help that hte bills got a DL coach who was the coach of the worst UB DL in years. That can't be helping his growth any. Bruce smith gives credit to Ted Cotrell as his line coach and teaching him how to be a great DE.

So position coaches matter, coordinators matter, Head coaches matter. GM's matter. but ralph and russ never wanted to spend money on that. they just want their NFL tv contract handouts, and erie county handouts and small market handouts and sit on all that money until they die.

most miserable people on the face of earth.

bf1
10-22-2012, 06:55 PM
Go back and look at the draft grades. People gave Bumbling Buddy Nix high grades for the stellar (albeit given) draft pick. Proves how draft grades are idiotic. Proves also that Bumbling Buddy Nix isn't the talent evaluator a lot of people make him out to be.

coastal
10-22-2012, 06:59 PM
Chris Kelsay is a talentless piece of **** who would be lucky to be a backup on any other team.

That being said... I'm glad he punked Mario by keeping the "90" and I'm glad he's calling people out.

He's at least balling with the limited talent he does have.

At this point... and in terms of what everyone else is bringing to the table... he's earning his extension on some level.

How awful is that?!

EDS
10-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Who is the leader of the team in the locker room?

coastal
10-22-2012, 07:17 PM
Who is the leader of the team in the locker room?Chris Kelsay in Tashard Choice.

In the vacuum of leadership... people will emerge in spite of their limitations.

DynaPaul
10-22-2012, 07:59 PM
You don't have to be the best soldier on the field to be the best general on the field.

coastal
10-22-2012, 08:01 PM
You don't have to be the best soldier on the field to be the best general on the field.
maybe that's what we havent known or understood about Chris Kelsay for a long time...

Jeff1220
10-22-2012, 09:35 PM
I know it could be looked at as an excuse, but Dareus tragically lost his brother just several weeks ago. I don't know about you guys, but if my young brother was suddenly murdered, that might effect my productivity.

GingerP
10-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Kelsey is about a decade late with this message.

BillsFever21
10-22-2012, 10:50 PM
I know it could be looked at as an excuse, but Dareus tragically lost his brother just several weeks ago. I don't know about you guys, but if my young brother was suddenly murdered, that might effect my productivity.

As tragic as it was he's not the first sports player who has lost a family member under horrible circumstances and definitely not the first one who had a family member pass away. It happens to thousands of people every year in the USA and they have 3 days and they need to get back to work. They can't just use it as an excuse for not doing their job anymore.

It would be hard to deal with but he still has a job to do and others have went through it and still performed on the field. If that's what is affecting his play then maybe he's not mentally tough enough. You would think playing football would give him the chance to get out there and knock somebody's head off out of frustration.

Buffalogic
10-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Listen, it sucks because he has people following him and his contributions to our team, but if my brother got brutally murdered I know I would be completely useless at work. Dareus is young and has a ton of potential, but he's not invincible. I'm not going to kick dirt on the guy in his second year facing really earth shattering emotional experiences. Time heals all and I'm going to give Dareus the benefit of the doubt.

Beebe
10-22-2012, 11:24 PM
Kelsay should call his self out, the big run was on his side and he has been in the league for like 9 years and he still has trouble containing the out side.

BertSquirtgum
10-23-2012, 01:49 AM

The he should have asked/ask for a leave of absence. If his head is not in the game then he is hurting this team more than he is helping it.

BertSquirtgum
10-23-2012, 01:50 AM
Kelsay should call his self out, the big run was on his side and he has been in the league for like 9 years and he still has trouble containing the out side.

Get the F out of here. Kelsay and K. Williams were the only players I saw that seemed to be playing with heart every time they were in the game.

GingerP
10-23-2012, 07:03 AM
Get the F out of here. Kelsay and K. Williams were the only players I saw that seemed to be playing with heart every time they were in the game.

Yeah, Kelsey's issues are with talent, not effort.

RedEyE
10-23-2012, 07:38 AM
Now somebody needs to call out Kelsay and get him to finally learn how to contain that outside edge.

The King
10-23-2012, 08:00 AM
Yeah, Kelsey's issues are with talent, not effort.

Bingo.

OpIv37
10-23-2012, 08:22 AM
I don't like Kelsay particularly, but it's good to see someone taking a leadership role and actually giving a damn about what happens on the field.

Mahdi
10-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Its clear he was going after Mario Williams. Basically he said he would rather have the guy the Bills cut over a 50% Mario.

Historian
10-23-2012, 08:41 AM
Now we're worried about what Chris Kelsay thinks?

This franchise has sunk to new lows.

OpIv37
10-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Is it too soon to call Mario Williams "Albert Haynesworth 2.0?"

Screw it, I'm referring to Mario as "Haynesworth" until he proves otherwise.

ServoBillieves
10-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Chris Kelsay - 2 Sacks
Mark Anderson - 1 Sack
Mario Williams - 3.5 Sacks

Chris Kelsay has slightly lesser than half of the total of our "big name" FA's.

Think about that one... Also, 2.5 out of the 17 sacks we have are from non-linemen. Shows that our front 4 can somewhat rush the pass but Wanny doesn't want to send anyone else to help them out. I feel bad for Mario, Mark, Kyle, and Marcell at times because if they had an ounce of help from the outside or a middle blitz package they might be freed up, but every ****ing team knows we're only going to rush 4 tops.

gebobs
10-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Is it too soon to call Mario Williams "Albert Haynesworth 2.0?"
More like Haynesworth 0.2

gebobs
10-23-2012, 09:06 AM
von miller was off the board when we picked. and dareus was a freak and the right build. but how are we supposed to know character issues without being in interview rooms ourselves.
You're not. But the Bills scouts should. Looks like laziness isn't just on the DL.

it also doesn't help that hte bills got a DL coach who was the coach of the worst UB DL in years. That can't be helping his growth any. Bruce smith gives credit to Ted Cotrell as his line coach and teaching him how to be a great DE.

So position coaches matter, coordinators matter, Head coaches matter. GM's matter. but ralph and russ never wanted to spend money on that. they just want their NFL tv contract handouts, and erie county handouts and small market handouts and sit on all that money until they die.
But but but Ralphs NOT cheap.

Well, if he's not then he's effing stupid for leaving the development of a #3 pick and the rehabilitation of a $100M investment in the hands of another GA Tech toadie and a second-rate assistant from UB.

OpIv37
10-23-2012, 09:08 AM
Chris Kelsay - 2 Sacks
Mark Anderson - 1 Sack
Mario Williams - 3.5 Sacks

Chris Kelsay has slightly lesser than half of the total of our "big name" FA's.

Think about that one... Also, 2.5 out of the 17 sacks we have are from non-linemen. Shows that our front 4 can somewhat rush the pass but Wanny doesn't want to send anyone else to help them out. I feel bad for Mario, Mark, Kyle, and Marcell at times because if they had an ounce of help from the outside or a middle blitz package they might be freed up, but every ****ing team knows we're only going to rush 4 tops.

Don't forget that Kelsay didn't start getting significant playing time until after Anderson got hurt. If he had played the whole year he might have equaled Mario Haynesworth's sack total.

kingJofNYC
10-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Kyle Moore has been the best pass rusher the last two weeks from an efficiency standpoint. 10 disruptions on 48 opportunities, Mario has 23 on 224 opportunities for the season.

Shame that Moore can't bend around the corner, or use his hands to fight guys off. Pretty decent bull rush from him, but it's hard to knock a guy who's showing more than just about anyone else at the position.

Mahdi
10-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Kyle Moore has been the best pass rusher the last two weeks from an efficiency standpoint. 10 disruptions on 48 opportunities, Mario has 23 on 224 opportunities for the season.

Shame that Moore can't bend around the corner, or use his hands to fight guys off. Pretty decent bull rush from him, but it's hard to knock a guy who's showing more than just about anyone else at the position.

Moore is our best DE when it comes to turning the corner. He has real good quickness off the snap and he was the one who forced Hasselbeck up into the pocket for KW sack, lots of other pressures too.

Syderick
10-23-2012, 11:51 PM
Here's an article about it:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/nfl/bills-de-chris-kelsay-questions-teammates-effort-after-high-priced-defences-latest-dud-175300691.html

kishoph
10-24-2012, 02:55 AM
For me the biggest thing about this is the accountability, Gailey does not hold any of his coaches or players accountable for poor coaching or play. This is why the coaching and playing continue to suck, they are not held accountable to do their jobs. This team is lacking discipline, they play with no urgency, they're simply going through the motions. There's things I like about Gailey, but this has begun to outweigh them and he needs to get a hold of this team, because right now it seems they're doing what they want to do without fear of any disciplinary actions.