Winfield was too old, on the downside and didn't deserve the money he was asking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimmifli
    • Nov 2006

Winfield was too old, on the downside and didn't deserve the money he was asking

Right now Winfield is 35 years old. At 35, most players would be happy to still be in the league at all (obviously excepting kickers, and punters), but Winfield is part of an even smaller group of...

Antoine Winfield is Benjamin Button

Right now Winfield is 35 years old. At 35, most players would be happy to still be in the league at all (obviously excepting kickers, and punters), but Winfield is part of an even smaller group of 35+ players who are still starting for their teams. Just how small this group is is evidenced by the fact that Winfield is the oldest starting cornerback in the league (if the Packers had competent safeties, it would likely be Woodson, but still, the statistic is pretty significant). The point of this post is not, however, to simply point out that Winfield is old and starting. The point is to show that he is on pace to have the best year of his career.
    If he continues on the pace that he is moving at, Antoine will have 16 passes defended, 5 interceptions, and an absolutely ridiculous (ridiculous as in it has never been done by a cornerback since tackles became an officially recorded statistic (fun fact:according to NFL.com, Antoine is tied with a few others for most tackles by a CB at 107)) 117 tackles. These are pretty darn good numbers for any cornerback of any age, for a 35 year-old they are amazing. What's even more amazing though is that these will all be career highs for Antoine. This is nearly unheard of. Most players begin to decline after the age of 30, at 35 they should be ready to quit, not having the best year of their career. It doesn't stop there, no, Antoine is not satisfied with having an incredibly rare performance for a player of his age. Antoine is, as of right now, PFF's top ranked cornerback (#4 in coverage and #2 against the run). This is incredible for a guy who has, throughout his career, generally gone unnoticed by those outside of Minnesota.

Fans of other teams are not afraid of Winfield and, I would assume, many don't even know who he is. Nevertheless, they should fear him as, after learning what I have about WInfield's performance this year, a strong case could be made for him as team MVP. He doesn't generally make extremely flashy plays, but Antoine Winfield is one of the hardest working players in this league and has been one of my favorite Vikings since he joined the team.
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Re: Winfield was too old, on the downside and didn't deserve the money he was asking

Same with PaT Williams when we let him walk.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Re: Winfield was too old, on the downside and didn't deserve the money he was asking

You mean the Bills' FO let money dictate a decision rather than football? I'm shocked.

- - - Updated - - -

But Ralph isn't cheap though. He signed Mario Williams ten years later.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ServoBillieves
        The Voice of Reason
        • Jul 2007

Under Dave Wannstedt he'd have many more tackles much farther down the field.
        Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Ingtar33
          Dances With Buffaloes
          • Sep 2002

Winfield has been to like 4 probowls, it's not like he's unknown. He's well known around the league.
          My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

whats the point? It's not like the FO isn't trying this time around. Didn't we just sign Mario and Anderson who everyone here thought were great signings at ? We locked in Kyle Williams too .
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
              • Sep 2012

It's cool, we let him go because we had 1st rounder Nate Clements to take up the slack. I think we all know how productive and elite he's been in all his years here.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• streetkings01
                • Jul 2006

Why are we talking about a CB that hasn't been here in 8 years?
                You can call me streetkings

Comment

• Ed
                  Dude
                  • Sep 2002

Winfield wasn't a Donahoe guy. With the exception of Eric Moulds, Donahoe got rid of every player from the Butler era as fast as he could.

Comment

• streetkings01
                    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                    It's cool, we let him go because we had 1st rounder Nate Clements to take up the slack. I think we all know how productive and elite he's been in all his years here.
                    Nate was a Pro Bowler for us.........just wasn't worth the money he got on the open market. I guess this was how Texans fans felt once Mario left..........good player, replaceable and not worth the money he was gonna get.

Comment

• streetkings01
                      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                      Winfield wasn't a Donahoe guy. With the exception of Eric Moulds, Donahoe got rid of every player from the Butler era as fast as he could.
                      If we could get Donahoe to draft all our skilled positions and Nix to draft olineman we would have very good team........the only problem is neither guy knows how to evaluate QBs!

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by streetkings01 View Post
                        Why are we talking about a CB that hasn't been here in 8 years?
                        Because CB is a position of need and if Ralph Wilson wasn't cheap, he could STILL be here.

Ralph's cheapness 8 years ago is hurting this team to this day.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by streetkings01 View Post
                          Nate was a Pro Bowler for us.........just wasn't worth the money he got on the open market. I guess this was how Texans fans felt once Mario left..........good player, replaceable and not worth the money he was gonna get.
                          It's cool, we let him go because we had 1st rounder Donte Whitner to take up the slack. I think we all know how productive and elite he's been in all his years here.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• dannyek71
                            Drink Responsibly
                            • Dec 2004

Winfield said he didn't want to be here while he was with the team. Do you REALLY want players like that?
                            [

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                              Because CB is a position of need and if Ralph Wilson wasn't cheap, he could STILL be here.

Ralph's cheapness 8 years ago is hurting this team to this day.
                              you have inside info that Ralph wasn't willing or whether it was a Donahoe decision/advice? Ralph paid a lot of money for Dockery and co after Donahoe was dropped based on Marv's advice. A move you were happy about.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X