PDA

View Full Version : Please stop calling for coaches and front office head

DesertFox24
10-23-2012, 10:04 AM
People,

Look I believe every coach and GM should receive at a minimum of 4 years before they are fired. Gailey and Nix inherited a terrible team and granted we are not much better I still believe they should at least get one more year.

The very minimum would be to fire Gailey after the bye week next season.

Look I know this season is over and we will be 3-6 in 3 weeks but we still have a shot for 7 or 8 wins after that if they can get their act together.

Either way Gailey and Nix should receive 4 years to rebuild and if we do not win 10 games or get a playoff birth next year FIRE THEM, PERIOD.

Yes go ahead and site your one or two year turn around teams and if you look those teams had a lot more talent when the new coach took over than this team.

I just am so tired of constantly blowing it up, I just hope Ralph gives them one more year and that they prove him correct and give us a team we can actually be proud of. A team that can win and will be competitive in every game.

I hate knowing we have no chance these next two games. However, what I hate more is the idea of a new GM and coach telling me three more years.

jdaltroy5
10-23-2012, 10:05 AM
I can't recall a single time in my life that I have ever asked for Coach or front office head.

They're probably terrible at it anyway.

k-oneputt
10-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Why ?

Just because they are a couple of steps ahead of the last bunch of losers doesn't mean they are good enough.
They deserve all the heat they are getting.

justasportsfan
10-23-2012, 10:12 AM
tell that to the 9'ers. The way things are going, the dolphins are looking to surpass us in their 1st year of rebuild. Chan has til the end of the year to turn things around.

jdaltroy5
10-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Why ?

Just because they are a couple of steps ahead of the last bunch of losers doesn't mean they are good enough.

They aren't a couple of steps ahead of the last bunch of losers.

Chan and Buddy have a .333 winning percentage.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Why ?

At this point that statement is called into question.

OpIv37
10-23-2012, 10:21 AM
People,

Look I believe every coach and GM should receive at a minimum of 4 years before they are fired. Gailey and Nix inherited a terrible team and granted we are not much better I still believe they should at least get one more year.

Look I know this season is over and we will be 3-6 in 3 weeks but we still have a shot for 7 or 8 wins after that if they can get their act together.

Either way Gailey and Nix should receive 4 years to rebuild and if we do not win 10 games or get a playoff birth next year FIRE THEM, PERIOD.

Yes go ahead and site your one or two year turn around teams and if you look those teams had a lot more talent when the new coach took over than this team.

I just am so tired of constantly blowing it up, I just hope Ralph gives them one more year and that they prove him correct and give us a team we can actually be proud of. A team that can win and will be competitive in every game.

I hate knowing we have no chance these next two games. However, what I hate more is the idea of a new GM and coach telling me three more years.

I'm tired of blowing everything up and starting over too.

Here's the problem: Nix and Chan were bad decisions. You could give them 20 years and they are never going to get it right. It's the same ****ty situation we've been in 3 or 4 times over the last 12 years or so. No one wants to blow it up and start over, but the reality is that we have to start over, so the sooner the better.

And, actually, they are behind the last bunch of losers. Our D has actually gotten worse and is on pace to be historically bad, both in terms of the team and the NFL. And this was after spending the last 2 first round draft picks on D and two big-name defensive free agents, and a new DC. They are spinning their wheels and clearly have no idea what the **** they are doing.

Of course, the other reality is that nothing will change. Ralph will just underpay for the next coach and GM and in 3-4 years we'll be having this exact discussion over again. This team is ****ing Groundhog Day.

jimmifli
10-23-2012, 10:22 AM
People,

Look, stop arguing with the OP. He believes GM's and coaches need 4 years. BELIEVES, PEOPLE, BELIEVES.

Albany,n.y.
10-23-2012, 10:55 AM
People,

So, according to you theories, we let the following coaches go too soon (I'm including the ones who quit):
Buster Ramsey
Joe Collier
Harvey Johnson
John Rauch
Jim Ringo
Kay Stephenson
Hank Bullough
Wade Phillips (maybe right on this one)
Gregg Williams
Mike Mularkey
Perry Fewell

So, according to your theory, the only coaches we've kept long enough are Lou Saban, Chuck Knox, Marv Levy & DICK JAURON.

kingJofNYC
10-23-2012, 11:08 AM
These guys weren't good hires to begin with. Remember how we all felt when Gailey was chosen? Rock bottom, no one wanted to coach here except him. Almost every fan hated the selection, but what could we do?

We then convinced ourselves that he could make it work, and Buddy's scouting background would change our amateur scouting. What else could we do but delude ourselves into thinking that they could turn this **** heap around? Faced with two choices at the time, hope they'd do what no one else had done in about a decade or accept reality that this team was truly going nowhere for the foreseeable future, most of the fanbase chose the former because being irrational is more palatable than being rational. Hope is all we had left.

**** hope.

BertSquirtgum
10-23-2012, 11:08 AM
People,

Another year of these idiots? Get the F out of here.

13 and freaking 28 man. It will probably be 15-35 by the end of the year. No way these clowns deserve another year.

kingJofNYC
10-23-2012, 11:11 AM
I wish Carrington never got his hand on that ball, don't deserve the 3 wins they have.

Worst coaching job I've seen from any Bills coach in the 20+ years of following the team.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-23-2012, 11:20 AM
The only way I even consider giving Chan another year is nine wins and being in the playoff hunt on the very last sunday of the year.

bf1
10-23-2012, 11:28 AM
People,

If I could, I'd fire you as a fan.

Zero
10-23-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm tired of blowing everything up and starting over too.

Here's the problem: Nix and Chan were bad decisions. You could give them 20 years and they are never going to get it right. It's the same ****ty situation we've been in 3 or 4 times over the last 12 years or so. No one wants to blow it up and start over, but the reality is that we have to start over, so the sooner the better.

And, actually, they are behind the last bunch of losers. Our D has actually gotten worse and is on pace to be historically bad, both in terms of the team and the NFL. And this was after spending the last 2 first round draft picks on D and two big-name defensive free agents, and a new DC. They are spinning their wheels and clearly have no idea what the **** they are doing.

Of course, the other reality is that nothing will change. Ralph will just underpay for the next coach and GM and in 3-4 years we'll be having this exact discussion over again. This team is ****ing Groundhog Day.

It matters little whether we fire these guys or not. Nobody worth a crap wants to come here. Coaching here is the equivalent of receiving a death sentence or being exiled to a God-forsaken place. Ex-coaches have not spoken highly of this organization in the past so who are you gonna replace the current regime with huh? The reputation of the Bills, or should I say, the good reputation that we had following the SB years has long been tarnished, replaced now with a rep that is far less flattering- to put it mildly.

Years ago, when we still had crediblity, we stood a chance at landing talent. But now that the word is out on just how dysfunctional the Bills are as organization, the only people willing to come here are those just looking for a paycheck, or those that have no choice BUT to come here. Nothing will change until Ralph is gone- period.

DesertFox24
10-23-2012, 12:56 PM
If I could, I'd fire you as a fan.

Hysterical

As Albany NY pointed out what good has come from firing a coach after 3 years or a GM.

Tom D was terrible the three headed monster of Brandon Jauron and Modrak was terrible, Levy was terrible.

Nix honestly has drafted the best players on the board. Without him Spiller would be somewhere else, I still like Dareus, and Gilmore looks like a future top 5 corner.

Three first rounds a home run with spiller, and potential home run with Gilmore. Dareus I think still can be good, not sure if personal issues are derailing his promising start.

You know what you guys are correct just blow it all up and start over. Einstein said it best stupidity is defined by doing the same thing again but expecting different results. Yes so lets blow it up YET AGAIN and expect different results.

All I am saying is lets blow it up after 4 years not 3, at least that is different than the previous rinse and repeat.

Albany,n.y.
10-23-2012, 01:32 PM
As Albany NY pointed out what good has come from firing a coach after 3 years or a GM.

What I meant wasn't what good has come from the firings, but rather, look at these duds we've had coaching the team who never made it to year 4. Why would anyone want to have kept guys like Bullough, Ringo, Stephenson or Williams around any longer than the Bills kept them? Most of us wanted these guys gone sooner, not later. I'd like to see Gailey gone today, only because he should have been fired yesterday & that didn't happen.
I'm actually of the belief that you can judge and fire a really bad coach in 1 season, a mediocre coach in 2, and any coach whose team is an underachiever in 3 seasons. However, you can't just look at the record, you have to see what's happening on the field. That's why guys who are put in impossible situations like Fisher when the Oilers were uprooted from Houston & Belichick when Cleveland was a lame duck team need more time. Fisher survived and Belichick didn't, but one of these guys is now headed to the HOF.
Bottom line is Chan has already overstayed his visit.

Bill Cody
10-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Ok here's the cold truth: if we are not successful in drafting a QB which the world agrees is a potential franchise signal caller, we can fire Gailey and we will be sifting through the same flotsam and jetsam we did when we hired him. No established coach or even hot shot coordinator will want to come here. Fitz is a coach killer and a coach scarer awayer. The odds of winning with Fitz are exactly 0.00%. Every coach in America with eye balls can see that. Personally I don't know how you can bring Gailey back regardless. He seems to think Wanny is doing a fine job. That should disqualify him from employment right now, never mind next year.

Bill Cody
10-23-2012, 01:44 PM
All I am saying is lets blow it up after 4 years not 3, at least that is different than the previous rinse and repeat.

Your post hints that blowing it up after 4 is the likely outcome. If so, please fill me in on what we gain by waiting other than wasting another year. Will Gailey grow a bigger brain between years 3 and 4? As I said in the earlier post it really doesn't matter if Fitz is the QB, we ain't winning. Expecting something different from him is the real definition of insanity.

A head coach is only as good as his staff is. Gailey might be ok if he does something similar to what the Giants did a generation ago- hire Vince Lombardi to coach the offense and Tom Landry to coach the defense. That should be easy enough right?

DesertFox24
10-23-2012, 02:12 PM
Those guys were terrible no debate. My point is that we have to have the correct guys in the front office to make good decisions for the organization.

That being said I think they need 4 years to be judged accurately.

DesertFox24
10-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Because maybe just maybe he and Nix are the right guys to right the ship and maybe this year is a result of youth on defense and new scheme, and the youth not allowing us to run complex Def schemes. As Jim Kelly noted we are very vanilla on defense.

Lets be clear here folks I am not happy, but Nix has done everything we have wanted him to do. He has drafted guys that have actually been successful in college and for more than one year. He has retained good players on this team something we never did before.

gailey actually made us a competent offense, do you guys remember how bad the Jauron offenses were.

Bottom line is this I think we might be close, if Gailey and his staff are as good as advertised and we get a few more players we might be a winner

OpIv37
10-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Because maybe just maybe he and Nix are the right guys to right the ship and maybe this year is a result of youth on defense and new scheme, and the youth not allowing us to run complex Def schemes. As Jim Kelly noted we are very vanilla on defense.

Lets be clear here folks I am not happy, but Nix has done everything we have wanted him to do. He has drafted guys that have actually been successful in college and for more than one year. He has retained good players on this team something we never did before.

gailey actually made us a competent offense, do you guys remember how bad the Jauron offenses were.

Bottom line is this I think we might be close, if Gailey and his staff are as good as advertised and we get a few more players we might be a winner

This is just craziness. The team is getting WORSE, not better. And Nix hasn't done everything we want him to do, because as he's filled some holes, new holes have opened up (namely, CB and LB). it's the same old revolving-door perpetual rebuilding cycle.

I just don't know what you see from Nix and Gailey that makes you think they could possibly be the ones to right the ship. So far, all they've done is sink it deeper.

bf1
10-23-2012, 02:35 PM
I don't give Nix any credit whatsoever for his first round draft picks. They are the "reward" for failing to improve the year before. If he wheeled and dealed and parlayed those high picks into multiple high performing picks or free agents (by trading down, etc) then I'd give him credit. I swear I don't think he or the front office possess the mental capacity or business savviness to wheel and deal. It's like a watching a futile effort to plug holes in a leaking dam.

kingJofNYC
10-23-2012, 03:13 PM
You know what's funny, former Bills National Scout Marc Ross is going to get a GM position very soon. He was here with Donahoe & Co.

Sometimes the solution is right under your nose.

Albany,n.y.
10-23-2012, 03:17 PM

Jauron had a better win % than Gailey, therefore he was the better coach. He also allegedly had less talent.
You are what your record says you are. Chan Gailey-LOSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jimmifli
10-23-2012, 03:18 PM
This is just craziness. The team is getting WORSE, not better. And Nix hasn't done everything we want him to do, because as he's filled some holes, new holes have opened up (namely, CB and LB). it's the same old revolving-door perpetual rebuilding cycle.

I just don't know what you see from Nix and Gailey that makes you think they could possibly be the ones to right the ship. So far, all they've done is sink it deeper.
Because maybe just maybe he believes.

justasportsfan
10-23-2012, 03:20 PM
I Ralph has time to start all over again. NIx has to bring in a franchise qb and we'll be good.

better days
10-23-2012, 03:21 PM
I don't give Nix any credit whatsoever for his first round draft picks. They are the "reward" for failing to improve the year before. If he wheeled and dealed and parlayed those high picks into multiple high performing picks or free agents (by trading down, etc) then I'd give him credit. I swear I don't think he or the front office possess the mental capacity or business savviness to wheel and deal. It's like a watching a futile effort to plug holes in a leaking dam.

Nix is dealing with real GMs in the NFL. He is not playing Madden. You can't just wheel & deal & make a trade because some fan would like you to do so, you have to be in a position that another team is DESPERATE to trade up to for a particular player.

BillsFever21
10-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Hysterical

Tom D was terrible the three headed monster of Brandon Jauron and Modrak was terrible, Levy was terrible.

Nix honestly has drafted the best players on the board. Without him Spiller would be somewhere else, I still like Dareus, and Gilmore looks like a future top 5 corner.

Three first rounds a home run with spiller, and potential home run with Gilmore. Dareus I think still can be good, not sure if personal issues are derailing his promising start.

You know what you guys are correct just blow it all up and start over. Einstein said it best stupidity is defined by doing the same thing again but expecting different results. Yes so lets blow it up YET AGAIN and expect different results.

You are absolutely correct here but in the opposite direction. Keeping the same bums around and expecting different results is stupidity. You obviously have doubts and don't believe that Gailey and Nix are worth a damn if you say keep them for one more year and then fire them if they don't produce. Why wait another year to start the process over if that's the case?

If you know you have a dud then you try and find somebody competent to replace them. It may not work out but you have to try. This team is worse then it was under Jauron. You claim they took over a horrible team well if that's the case then if Gailey is better then we should have performed better but that's not the case.

We have made upgrades to the defense yet we're the worse in the league. And for supposedly being an offensive genius we're also ranked low on the offensive side of the ball and that's with even more talent then we had under Jauron. At least for Jauron the team played hard and didn't give up. You're not seeing that with Gailey and no matter what kind of talent you have the obvious horrible coaching decisions are still being made. No amount of talent in the world would make up for that. They are what they are and nothing is going to change it. These aren't young guys still learning their positions in the NFL. They have been around for decades and if they haven't gotten it by now they never will.

Oaf
10-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Chan for OC. Please. Take the HC decision making from his hands, and keep the offensive system in place.

YardRat
10-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Horse****.

I'm OK with Nix sticking around, and even Gailey, but only if he cans Wannstadt. Having the worst defense in the league, possibly in your franchises history, especially considering the amount of resources that have been dedicated to that side of the ball, has to have negative repercussions for the dumbass in charge.

BillsFever21
10-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Chan for OC. Please. Take the HC decision making from his hands, and keep the offensive system in place.

Why do people keep saying this? Yes Gailey should only be an OC but there isn't any chance in hell he would take a demotion. I can't think of one failed HC that has ever taken a demotion and stayed on as the OC/DC of the team while somebody else took over the HC spot. It's just not realistic.

Even IF that ever was the case there isn't any chance that Wilson would keep him on as the OC and continue to pay him HC money. Ralph pays his HC's about the least in the league and many top coordinators are making more then our HC's. That is one of the reasons why we always end up with junk. That also trickles down through the assistant coaches, etc. Ralph isn't willing to dish out the money for a top notch staff.

SABURZFAN
10-23-2012, 04:43 PM
:monkeyp:
People,

Turf
10-23-2012, 04:49 PM
My evaluation is complete. Another year won't change it. They're incapable.

BillsFever21
10-23-2012, 06:25 PM

Yeah Jauron's offense sucked but the NFL has changed a lot in the past several years. Rule changes have made it more of a wide open game and every team can say they look much better on offense.

The facts are we're only 13th in the league in average points scored, 19th in the league in average yards per game, 30th in passing yards a game and 26th in 1st downs a game on average. If that's what you call a "competent" offense then you haven't been watching other teams in the league very much. Just because something is better then it was before doesn't make it good. Our offense is average at best. The only area we excel in is our rushing game which is very good.

DesertFox24
10-24-2012, 07:35 AM
I do not care what Gailey does with his defensive staff. I said just keep Gailey and Nix one more year, I personally think 3 years is not a enough time.

Now if they do choose to fire them then the main reason should be the stupidity to go to a 34 which lost us Poz and had us drafting guys that do not fit this 43.

Poz might not be an all pro but he was a good player for us and I for one would still like him on the team

Bills Juggernaut
10-24-2012, 08:29 AM
I do not care what Gailey does with his defensive staff. I said just keep Gailey and Nix one more year, I personally think 3 years is not a enough time.

Now if they do choose to fire them then the main reason should be the stupidity to go to a 34 which lost us Poz and had us drafting guys that do not fit this 43.

Poz might not be an all pro but he was a good player for us and I for one would still like him on the team

I don't think you understand. We are not playing by the same rules as the rest of the NFL. This franchise is hanging by a thread.

What's going to happen next year when they suck again, fans stop coming to the games (like what is about to happen to the rest of the home games this year), and Ralph kicks? We don't have the luxury of having a year to hope that a coach and GM in thier fourth year of rebuilding with a roster of their making can somehow turn it around after regressing to historically low levels of performance the year before.

Let's see, an owner who dies and has no plans on making sure the Bills stay in Buffalo, no playoffs for 13 years, a city in retraction, a fan base that is so burned that it no longer can support even half the games being sold out. Talk about a perfect excuse for the NFL and a new billionaire owner to grab the team on the cheap and move them to LA.

I don't think you understand at all. We will not have a team in 3 years with the status quo. There will be no Buffalo Bills with Chan and Buddy finishing 6-10 in year four.

This is a lot bigger than most people realize.</SPAN>

OpIv37
10-24-2012, 08:31 AM

Poz sucked and was the epitome of everything that's wrong with this team. He never lived up to his potential or draft hype. He's a hard-working blue collar type but he lacks superior athletic talent. Every team needs guys like that. You just can't have a team full of them and try to use them as star players.

As far as the 3-4 vs the 4-3, well, there's a lot going on there. First, it's not necessarily that a 3-4 is better than a 4-3. The problem is the Cover 2/Tampa 2 as a base D. It's run it's course. Every team runs situational variants of it and that's fine, but as a base, NFL offenses have figured it out. Remember, when we had LeBeau and Gregg Williams, we had the "46" D, which was a 4-3 that used a lot of blitzes, zone blitzes, etc to hide the coverage, and we had the 2nd best D in the league for two straight years.

The problem was that when this team transitioned to the 3-4, Nix and co never brought in the right personnel to run it. We were trying to run a 3-4 with about 1/2 a team of 3-4 guys and 1/2 a team of 4-3 guys, and none of the 4-3 guys had ever played in an NFL 3-4. That's why we were forced to abandon the 3-4 mid-season last year. It's more about the FO picking a base D and committing to it than simply saying "well a 3-4 is better so we should go back."

But anyway, this got a little long-winded. I basically agree that they should be fired, but not for simply choosing to go to a 3-4. I think they should be fired for choosing to go to one then not getting the proper personnel. That's inexcusable.

bf1
10-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Damn man. A lot of you are gluttons for punishment.

DesertFox24
10-25-2012, 06:49 AM
Poz sucked and was the epitome of everything that's wrong with this team. He never lived up to his potential or draft hype. He's a hard-working blue collar type but he lacks superior athletic talent. Every team needs guys like that. You just can't have a team full of them and try to use them as star players.

As far as the 3-4 vs the 4-3, well, there's a lot going on there. First, it's not necessarily that a 3-4 is better than a 4-3. The problem is the Cover 2/Tampa 2 as a base D. It's run it's course. Every team runs situational variants of it and that's fine, but as a base, NFL offenses have figured it out. Remember, when we had LeBeau and Gregg Williams, we had the "46" D, which was a 4-3 that used a lot of blitzes, zone blitzes, etc to hide the coverage, and we had the 2nd best D in the league for two straight years.

The problem was that when this team transitioned to the 3-4, Nix and co never brought in the right personnel to run it. We were trying to run a 3-4 with about 1/2 a team of 3-4 guys and 1/2 a team of 4-3 guys, and none of the 4-3 guys had ever played in an NFL 3-4. That's why we were forced to abandon the 3-4 mid-season last year. It's more about the FO picking a base D and committing to it than simply saying "well a 3-4 is better so we should go back."

But anyway, this got a little long-winded. I basically agree that they should be fired, but not for simply choosing to go to a 3-4. I think they should be fired for choosing to go to one then not getting the proper personnel. That's inexcusable.

Then by your standards should they not receive credit for realizing that and transitioning to a 43. You can not go from a tampa 2 do a 34 in 2 years even with draft and free agency not enough players out there and to many 34 teams to make that happen.

I stand by my statement give them one more year I know you guys are afraid if we suck we will move and I think that is ridiculous. A new GM and new coach will want to change everything up yet again and we will suck more than if we let Gailey see this thing through to its fruition.

I personally want to see if our defense can progress the rest of the season and if that is the case I would really like to see if they improve next season now that all the players have played in the system and all our young guys played a lot and have no more excuses.

Historian
10-25-2012, 07:08 AM
I would keep Nix, but make a coaching change if the team ends up below 8-8.

In other words, I wouldn't blow the whole thing up, but I would certainly interview new HCs. My first question would be 'Who are your coordinators?'