PDA

View Full Version : So They are blaming the scheme now?

ghz in pittsburgh
10-23-2012, 10:38 AM
As I feared that a new scheme is going to take time to develop, in general. Starting from game 4, teams are really looking into exploring the Bills D, and we are struggling to find an answer.

Overall, I put this on Gailey. He wanted to go 3-4, but the draft of Dareus and availability of Wannstedt made him chaning his mind. guess what, changing mind usually means a step backward - I don't care what talent you have.

I do feel strongly that a big change of scheme during the bye week is a big mistake.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/10/22/3536512/titans-35-bills-34-chan-gailey-dave-wannstedt (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/10/22/3536512/titans-35-bills-34-chan-gailey-dave-wannstedt)

Buffalo's defense is back to looking like it did under Jauron, when the Bills ran the Tampa 2. It took me seven weeks to understand what's causing the defensive breakdowns. It certainly can't be talent, and youth accounts for only so many mistakes. After watching Buffalo's defense today, I'm certain of what I'm seeing. Buffalo's scheme is a one-gap defensive front four, backed by fast-flowing linebackers, with mostly zone coverages (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/1/26/1269381/which-defensive-scheme-will-the), which is very similar to a Tampa 2 scheme.
The results are the same as in the Jauron era - good pass defense and run defense outside of a few big plays. Buffalo gave up 193 yards passing, and Matt Hasselbeck (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2306/matt-hasselbeck) was held to 6.2 yards per pass, both good statistics. The Titans did gain 197 yards rushing - outpacing their passing yardage, something reminiscent of the Jauron days - but gained the majority of their yardage on four runs. Chris Johnson had the Titans' only four runs longer than 10 yards, breaking runs of 16, 83, 25 and 27 yards. That's 151 of 197 rushing yards on four plays, with the other 46 yards coming on 23 runs. Ergo, Buffalo's defense is working most of the time. What's the problem?
The problem is the scheme. Penetrating, one-gap 4-3 defenses that play zone, like the Tampa 2 and Dave Wannstedt's defense, all have the same weaknesses (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/1/26/1269381/which-defensive-scheme-will-the).
First, if the defense plays two-deep zone (they do a lot), the defense runs the risk of having insufficient personnel to cover every gap assignment. In a standard set with two receivers, two backs, and a tight end, the defense works well. As soon as the offense goes to one back and adds a tight end or an H-back, the defense has too many gaps to cover. Second, these types of defenses attack the line of scrimmage. If one defender misses a gap assignment, no front seven defenders are positioned to stop the runner if he hits the gap where the assignment was missed. What you get is a defense that plays the run well most of the time, but when is misses, the runner gains yardage until the safeties tackle him. We saw that during the Jauron era, and we saw that Sunday.

EDS
10-23-2012, 10:45 AM
As I feared that a new scheme is going to take time to develop, in general. Starting from game 4, teams are really looking into exploring the Bills D, and we are struggling to find an answer.

Overall, I put this on Gailey. He wanted to go 3-4, but the draft of Dareus and availability of Wannstedt made him chaning his mind. guess what, changing mind usually means a step backward - I don't care what talent you have.

I do feel strongly that a big change of scheme during the bye week is a big mistake.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/10/22/3536512/titans-35-bills-34-chan-gailey-dave-wannstedt (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/10/22/3536512/titans-35-bills-34-chan-gailey-dave-wannstedt)

Buffalo's defense is back to looking like it did under Jauron, when the Bills ran the Tampa 2. It took me seven weeks to understand what's causing the defensive breakdowns. It certainly can't be talent, and youth accounts for only so many mistakes. After watching Buffalo's defense today, I'm certain of what I'm seeing. Buffalo's scheme is a one-gap defensive front four, backed by fast-flowing linebackers, with mostly zone coverages (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/1/26/1269381/which-defensive-scheme-will-the), which is very similar to a Tampa 2 scheme.
The results are the same as in the Jauron era - good pass defense and run defense outside of a few big plays. Buffalo gave up 193 yards passing, and Matt Hasselbeck (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2306/matt-hasselbeck) was held to 6.2 yards per pass, both good statistics. The Titans did gain 197 yards rushing - outpacing their passing yardage, something reminiscent of the Jauron days - but gained the majority of their yardage on four runs. Chris Johnson had the Titans' only four runs longer than 10 yards, breaking runs of 16, 83, 25 and 27 yards. That's 151 of 197 rushing yards on four plays, with the other 46 yards coming on 23 runs. Ergo, Buffalo's defense is working most of the time. What's the problem?
The problem is the scheme. Penetrating, one-gap 4-3 defenses that play zone, like the Tampa 2 and Dave Wannstedt's defense, all have the same weaknesses (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/1/26/1269381/which-defensive-scheme-will-the).
First, if the defense plays two-deep zone (they do a lot), the defense runs the risk of having insufficient personnel to cover every gap assignment. In a standard set with two receivers, two backs, and a tight end, the defense works well. As soon as the offense goes to one back and adds a tight end or an H-back, the defense has too many gaps to cover. Second, these types of defenses attack the line of scrimmage. If one defender misses a gap assignment, no front seven defenders are positioned to stop the runner if he hits the gap where the assignment was missed. What you get is a defense that plays the run well most of the time, but when is misses, the runner gains yardage until the safeties tackle him. We saw that during the Jauron era, and we saw that Sunday.

So we ran Jauron out of town only to reinstall his defense with an inferior defensive coordinator? Brilliant.

kingJofNYC
10-23-2012, 11:21 AM
We're also playing way more man coverage than we ever did in Jauron's system, which doesn't help our problems stopping the run. Our LBs are slow with their pass/run keys, which screws up their coverage assignment. Corners aren't in flat to curl zones, so they don't force/spill the run back inside.

It's two deep with a **** load of man coverage, harder to stop the run but other teams do it, but other teams don't sit in the same coverage all game. Look at the Bears and their Tampa 2. That's the results you get when your DL actually performs.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-23-2012, 11:24 AM
No ****, they are blaming the scheme? Wow, are they saying its too complex? :laughing::lmao:

bf1
10-23-2012, 11:26 AM
scheme = coaching

next

Mahdi
10-23-2012, 11:51 AM
I watched the Bears-Lions yesterday. Both teams 4-3, both rely mainly on their front four, yet sprinkled throughout the game both defenses sent safeties and linebackers on blitzes and were very effective.

Chicago is blitzing more than ever out of their Tampa 2 and their D is great. Wanny needs to use Scott more as a blitzer as well as Bradham and Barnett.

Byrd and Wilson can also be good playmakers in the backfield. Wanny is just way too conservative, especially when he knows his DL is not getting it done on their own.

One other thing I noticed was that even when they weren't blitzing they were still putting their LBs up in the gaps to confuse the OL and that also forces the RB who is chipping to worry about who might be coming through the A or B gaps.

superbills
10-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Coaching, coaching coaching. Regardless of who you blame, be it Wanny or Chan or the Midget Trainer, the bottom line is we don't have the coaches to get these guys all on the same page and playing cohesively. Couple that with players who are being called out as lazy and underachieving and you get the mess we have now. Whether they play the 4-3, 3-4, 4-6, or whatever they want their base to be, if you can't coach the players to fit into their roles, any scheme that you use will fail. We've got one hell of a mess here defensively, and the only thing that's going to change that is a real defensive guru. We need the next Wade Phillips, Dick Labeau, or Marvin Lewis (as a DC). Without that, we can spin our wheels all we want, but we're just going to keep kicking up the same, tired old dirt.

Jaybird
10-23-2012, 02:13 PM
lets try to blitz someone! how about that for scheme... too radical?

YardRat
10-23-2012, 06:43 PM
I watched the Bears-Lions yesterday. Both teams 4-3, both rely mainly on their front four, yet sprinkled throughout the game both defenses sent safeties and linebackers on blitzes and were very effective.

Chicago is blitzing more than ever out of their Tampa 2 and their D is great. Wanny needs to use Scott more as a blitzer as well as Bradham and Barnett.

Byrd and Wilson can also be good playmakers in the backfield. Wanny is just way too conservative, especially when he knows his DL is not getting it done on their own.

One other thing I noticed was that even when they weren't blitzing they were still putting their LBs up in the gaps to confuse the OL and that also forces the RB who is chipping to worry about who might be coming through the A or B gaps.

Bingo.

:clap:

stuckincincy
10-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Coaching, coaching coaching. Regardless of who you blame, be it Wanny or Chan or the Midget Trainer, the bottom line is we don't have the coaches to get these guys all on the same page and playing cohesively. Couple that with players who are being called out as lazy and underachieving and you get the mess we have now. Whether they play the 4-3, 3-4, 4-6, or whatever they want their base to be, if you can't coach the players to fit into their roles, any scheme that you use will fail. We've got one hell of a mess here defensively, and the only thing that's going to change that is a real defensive guru. We need the next Wade Phillips, Dick Labeau, or Marvin Lewis (as a DC). Without that, we can spin our wheels all we want, but we're just going to keep kicking up the same, tired old dirt.

Believe me - you do not want Marvin Lewis under any circumstance. Ten years ago, the b'gals crowed about his defensive prowess. Never happened. That he's a coach in the NFL at any position is due to the peculiarities of the team owner.

The local beat reporter gave the coaching staff an "F" for the third consecutive week. In Monday's PIT@CIN, he threw two challenges that a five-year old would say were stupid. Burned 2 timeouts, sorely needed as the game came to the end.

SABURZFAN
10-25-2012, 04:59 PM
i blame Billy Buffalo.

Extremebillsfan247
10-25-2012, 05:29 PM
The Bears run the same defense and are consistently one of the better defenses in the NFL every year. The scheme isn't the problem, missed assignments, and personnel fits are. JMO

BertSquirtgum
10-25-2012, 05:48 PM
I blame Chan Gailey and so does Hitler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sf9tKmyni4

Buffalogic
10-25-2012, 07:40 PM
Yeah we have probably the worst linebackers in the league, sounds perfect to add another one to it and run the 3-4 right? Dumb.

ServoBillieves
10-25-2012, 09:40 PM
And this is a surprise to you why?

I'm as diehard and optimistic of a fan as you can possibly ****ing get and I have had it. I KNOW it's the scheme, I KNOW it's the team that is wrong, it doesn't take a rubber chewer to realize that. How do you possibly think you're going to fool an NFL caliber offensive coordinator or head coach when you run an 8th grade defense? I'm not kidding when I say I read better playbooks and schemes in my sophomore high school career than what this organization wants to drop trow and pretend is an NFL defense each week. You rush 4 down linemen every play?

THE most hilarious aspect is when I saw Al' Carrington drop in to coverage.

So you're going to neglect sending more pressure from the secondary or linebackers completely, but you're going to drop one of your defensive tackles in to pass coverage? How many chromosomes or neurological lapses does it take to ****ing realize that this isn't pop-warner football? This "organization" is set for failure, wants to move, and is trying to make it easy on the die hard fans. When Ralph passes, this team will move, and they're buttering us up for it.

more cowbell
10-26-2012, 05:09 PM
I blame Chan Gailey and so does Hitler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sf9tKmyni4

greatest video ever