PDA

View Full Version : The Domino Effect (What is wrong with the Bills Defense)

mjt328
10-23-2012, 03:51 PM
With the Bills bye week, I think everyone is trying to find an answer to fix this disaster of a season.

Many are trying to pinpoint "THE" problem (Dave Wannstedt, Mario Williams, etc.), when in reality, I don't believe there is a single problem.
Instead, I believe it's a domino effect of several issues that when combined are having disastrous results.

Problem #1: Scheme
Coming into the 2012 season, Dave Wannstedt's gameplan was pretty simple. And through 7 games, we haven't seen much variation from that plan.
- We get a 4-man rush from the defensive line, with little to no blitzing.
- Our corners are playing mostly man-to-man, with help over the top from two safeties.
- That leaves the 3 linebackers to cover the middle of the field and flats - tight ends, slot receivers and running backs.

This scheme relies almost completely on our Front 4 winning their battles, whether they are facing 5, 6 or even 7 blockers. If the linemen can cause pressure on the quarterback and clog running lanes, everything else falls into place.

Which leads us to:

Problem #2: Defensive Line
For some reason, our vaunted defensive line is not causing consistent pressure on the quarterback. Not even close.
On running plays, they are getting tied up and pushed around by blockers - and worse - letting linemen get to the second level to take out our linebackers.
Before coming here, Mario Williams was a 2x All Pro. For the first 7 games, he's struggled to win 1-on-1s. Marcel Dareus is facing more double teams than our $100 million man, but is equally ineffective. Kyle Williams makes a great play, then disappears for two drives. Mark Anderson/Chris Kelsay are invisible.

Our ENTIRE defense is built around these guys, and they are failing miserably.

With our defensive line getting destroyed, it's exposing:

Problem #3: Linebackers/Secondary
Most of our back 7 starters are young/inexperienced - and in some cases, just not ready to start in the NFL.
With a fierce pass rush, this problem wouldn't be so apparent.
But instead of the defensive line forcing quarterbacks into taking sacks or making bad throws, teams have way too much time to find open receivers.

None of our linebackers (most were drafted to play in the 3-4) are equipped to play in coverage. With no pass rush, they have no chance. While Nick Barnett is a tough player and I love having him on the team, but he's completely lost when asked to stay with a tight end. The lack of pass rush is also exposing the lack of development in Aaron Williams, who currently doesn't look like he belongs on a football field.

In the run game - instead of us winning the battle at the line of scrimmage, our young undersized/weak linebacking crew is being forced to make the plays. That means our run defense is coming down to guys like Kelvin Sheppard, Nigel Bradham and Arthur Moats diagnosing plays, getting off blocks and making tackles on runners who already have a full head of speed.

Problem #4: Chan Gailey/Dave Wannstedt
This loops back around to problem #1.
Gailey and Wannstedt believe this year's failures come back to execution. And in part, they are absolutely right.

There is nothing schematically wrong with Wannstedt's gameplan. His defense relies on the front 4 to get pressure, and our linemen just aren't doing that.
However, it's up to the Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator to adjust when his gameplan isn't getting the job done. He should be trying to do something else to get in the quarterback's face and throw the offense off - blitzes, stunts, moving players around. Common sense would dictate that if the linebackers can't cover and we aren't getting pressure, that blitzing is absolutely necessary.

Wannstedt remains stubborn. Unwilling to make changes and cross his fingers the linemen will start playing better.

To summarize, I think our bad defense is a combination of coaching/scheme, poor defensive line play, lack of talent at linebacker and overall lack of experience in the back 7. That may seem like a lot to overcome, but honestly, I don't think it would take a lot to turn things around.
It all starts with our defensive line, and we know they have the talent. If they can flip the light switch on, this whole defense looks like a different animal.
Blitzing more often would also do wonders. Maybe we could scan the waiver wire/trading block for a veteran linebacker or two, more suited for coverage in the 4-3.
We could also hope for progression from our younger players like Gilmore, Sheppard, Bradham, A. Williams, etc.

YardRat
10-23-2012, 06:32 PM
I don't care how good a defensive line is supposed to be, 4 on 5 or more, straight up the field, is a losing proposition 99 times out of 100.

SABURZFAN
10-23-2012, 06:42 PM
they don't give 100% and they take plays off. THAT'S what is wrong.

feldspar
10-24-2012, 02:24 AM
I'm through trying to explain why they suck. Ask the people involved, and they don't know why either...so how should WE know?

They don't just suck, but they are on track to be historically bad. Giving up six yards per carry? Really? That would be a new record, I believe, at least since the merger for sure.

And we've managed to suck balls against the likes of Mark Sanchez, Matt Cassel, Brandon Weeden, Kevin Kolb, Alex Smith, and an aging Matt Hasselbeck...and Tom Brady, but that's one game.

There is simply no excuse for it. If you are looking for a reason, you may as well write a book about it.