PDA

View Full Version : New York Islanders moving to Brooklyn

IlluminatusUIUC
10-24-2012, 11:01 AM
http://deadspin.com/5954484/the-new-york-islanders-are-going-to-brooklyn?popular=true

A person familiar with the situation says the New York Islanders have struck a deal to move to Brooklyn's Barclays Center as early as 2015.
The person was not authorized to discuss the situation prior to an afternoon announcement and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

OpIv37
10-24-2012, 11:26 AM
It had to be done. Their arena is the worst home facility in the 4 major North American sports leagues. Everyone from the fans to the players to the owner have been *****ing about it for years, and the county voted down a $400 million arena in a referendum. They really need a new place to play to keep the fans coming out.

I heard the capacity is only going to be about 14,500 though. If that's all they're going to get, they should have just moved to Hartford and brought back the Whale.

DraftBoy
10-24-2012, 11:53 AM
It had to be done. Their arena is the worst home facility in the 4 major North American sports leagues. Everyone from the fans to the players to the owner have been *****ing about it for years, and the county voted down a $400 million arena in a referendum. They really need a new place to play to keep the fans coming out.

I heard the capacity is only going to be about 14,500 though. If that's all they're going to get, they should have just moved to Hartford and brought back the Whale.

Can Hartford get 14,500 consistently with a bad team?

JATMtheJATM
10-24-2012, 06:24 PM
TERRIBLE decision. but only because of the barclay centers hockey layout. its like that of the old america west arena in phx. where the rink was offset and thus many seats couldnt be used. its the same reason why key arena in seattle isnt NHL usable.

OpIv37
10-25-2012, 08:35 AM
Can Hartford get 14,500 consistently with a bad team?

good question. I would suspect they could but I really don't know.

OpIv37
10-25-2012, 08:37 AM
TERRIBLE decision. but only because of the barclay centers hockey layout. its like that of the old america west arena in phx. where the rink was offset and thus many seats couldnt be used. its the same reason why key arena in seattle isnt NHL usable.

Well it was between that and playing in an outdated arena. Maybe this will put pressure on Nassau County to build a new arena to bring the Islanders back after the Barclay contract ends.

And btw this sounds like ****ty design for the arena. I know hockey is not its' primary purpose, but given the popularity of hockey in the Northeast and the fact that there are 3 NHL teams in the market, you'd think they would have put more thought into it. If nothing else, it could be used for exhibitions, colleges, tournaments, etc.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-25-2012, 09:13 AM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Vo_mT1IaNps/TpZmJKkWVgI/AAAAAAAAACc/vKDjwA5LzDA/s480/conseco-hockey.gif

Yeah that's pretty silly. Maybe there was a space concern when they built the arena, it is in Brooklyn, after all.

jdaltroy5
10-25-2012, 01:43 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Vo_mT1IaNps/TpZmJKkWVgI/AAAAAAAAACc/vKDjwA5LzDA/s480/conseco-hockey.gif

Yeah that's pretty silly. Maybe there was a space concern when they built the arena, it is in Brooklyn, after all.

Probably because it was built for concerts. The more set back it is to the left, the more seats you can get on the right.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Probably because it was built for concerts. The more set back it is to the left, the more seats you can get on the right.

That makes sense.

Still, I think they should sell those seats for like $5 a pop and create a rowdy fan section there.

JATMtheJATM
10-25-2012, 07:34 PM
i always figured the islanders would eventually become the nordiques again.

jdaltroy5
10-26-2012, 08:40 AM
That makes sense.

Still, I think they should sell those seats for like $5 a pop and create a rowdy fan section there.

It's the Islanders.

I think every seat in the house should be $5.

OpIv37
10-26-2012, 08:42 AM
It's the Islanders.

I think every seat in the house should be $5.

The owner disagrees. Somehow, he needs to find the money to give Rick DiPietro $10 million a year from now until 2047.

jdaltroy5
10-26-2012, 08:45 AM
The owner disagrees. Somehow, he needs to find the money to give Rick DiPietro $10 million a year from now until 2047.
Well he still has to pay off Yashin first.