PDA

View Full Version : BBD: Examining Potential 2013 QB Options

DraftBoy
10-26-2012, 07:18 AM
http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012/10/examining-potential-2013-qb-options/

If you’re a Bills fan then you definitely have an opinion about what’s wrong with the 2012 Buffalo Bills and that answer probably involves the QB at one point or another. As we continue to go through the Bye Week and look towards the 2nd half of the season one thing has become quite apparent. The Bills need to make a change at QB and they need to make a decisive one. The Bills have three options as always they can draft a new QB, they can sign a new QB, or they could go and trade for a new QB. Below are 16 options the Bills could choose to be picking from this coming offseason.

RedEyE
10-26-2012, 07:39 AM
I'd personally like to see Geno Smith in a Bills uni. This kid is extremely intriguing.

After 3 1/2 seasons: 835 completions, 82 TDs and ONLY 17 ints in 1238 attempts. His college career completion percentage is 68% with a 7.6 YPA and a total career passer rating of 147.0

I know Barkely's numbers are similar but I like what Geno has been able to do with the WVU offense.

better days
10-26-2012, 08:12 AM
Let's draft as many of these guys as we can & hope one of them pans out.

Jaybird
10-26-2012, 08:40 AM
Rivers would be the best option!

Bill Cody
10-26-2012, 08:52 AM
I want to draft a QB.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-26-2012, 09:16 AM
On Mike Vick

He had a good run in Philly but that has since ended. He is plagued with turnovers and errant throws. Still, he is a lot of what Gailey likes in a QB

After bringing in Jackson, Thigpen, and Fitzpatrick, I'm starting to wonder if turnovers and errant throws are what Gailey actually wants in a quarterback.

No to Gabbert. No to Romo unless he comes very cheap.

Yes to Smith, Yes to Barkley.

Mouldsie
10-26-2012, 09:19 AM
Give me Geno Smith, Zac Dysert, and Vick next year.... competition

Ed
10-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Geno Smith would be the most exciting to me of all the possible options, but I'm not going to get my hopes up for any of the top prospects. I'd like to believe that their struggles could give us a better shot at getting one, but the reality is they'll go higher than they should even if people have their doubts.

Rivers would certainly be intriguing and the kind of move that would fool me into believing we're playoff bound, but I've been less and less impressed with him over the last few years. Maybe a change would be good for him though. It would be interesting to see what Gailey could do with a talented qb.

It would make sense for the Bills to go hard after a FA qb assuming a guy like Rivers or Romo are available. If we have a third losing season in a row and Nix and Gailey get a 4th year, it's going to be really hard for them to start a rookie qb knowing that they'll likely miss the playoffs again.

Jaybird
10-26-2012, 11:28 AM
My issue with a Rookie Qb is they usually take time to develop and you didn't win right away. This team needs to start winning now! We are better off drafting someone in the second or third round and trade for a rivers, romo or Vick

TigerJ
10-26-2012, 12:26 PM
For a while, Logan Thomas was the QB du jour among draftniks, and now he has fallen completely off the radar. I know the current thought on him is that he needs to stay in school, and he might well do so. But what if he doesn't? Is he someone the Bills could take with the notion that he would ride the bench for a while to gain some maturity and hone his skills?

EDS
10-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Josh Freeman has been playing very well of late and I doubt he is available anytime soon.

HAMMER
10-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Where are you guys coming up with all these names like Rivers, Romo, Gabbert, and Vick? Do you really think they will become available? I do not.

Ed
10-26-2012, 04:35 PM
Where are you guys coming up with all these names like Rivers, Romo, Gabbert, and Vick? Do you really think they will become available? I do not.
From the article.

Ed
10-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Josh Freeman has been playing very well of late and I doubt he is available anytime soon.
That would be ok with me. It would take them out of the running for drafting one of the top prospects.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-26-2012, 05:19 PM

Vick might get his coach fired (again), Gabbert isn't Mularkey's baby, and Romo spends half his days as Dallas' pariah. I can easily see all three being available.

YardRat
10-26-2012, 05:22 PM
I don't see us being a player in FA or trades, more likely coming from the draft. If they hadn't loaded up on Mario this year, I might have thought differently, but that bell's been rung.

DraftBoy
10-26-2012, 06:01 PM

Per people we've spoken to all are potentially going to be available.

Night Train
10-27-2012, 06:40 AM
Good job, DB.

I would still rather draft our next QB in round 1 over any of the Vet options.

Landry Jones of Oklahoma is Bledsoe all over again and I'd avoid him.

I like your top 4 college QB's, plus Tyler Bray of Tenn. They all have things to work on but have the upside to succeed as NFL QB's.

better days
10-27-2012, 07:17 AM
Per people we've spoken to all are potentially going to be available.

Well, as far as Josh Freeman goes, he & Coach Schiano are on the same page & Freeman has played well all year, even in the games the Bucs have lost. No way in hell Freeman gets traded.

DraftBoy
10-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Well, as far as Josh Freeman goes, he & Coach Schiano are on the same page & Freeman has played well all year, even in the games the Bucs have lost. No way in hell Freeman gets traded.

I can tell you with 100% confidence that was not true as late as the start of the season. Now maybe they have repaired that relationship but most coaches want their own guy which Freeman is not. Freeman also does not fit the Schiano offense from a prototypical standpoint.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Good job, DB.

I would still rather draft our next QB in round 1 over any of the Vet options.

Landry Jones of Oklahoma is Bledsoe all over again and I'd avoid him.

I like your top 4 college QB's, plus Tyler Bray of Tenn. They all have things to work on but have the upside to succeed as NFL QB's.

In what way? Early period Bledsoe was a founding member in the Hall of the Very Good. Not that I want Jones, though if we got a QB even as good as 1990's Bledsoe we'd be a good position.

Raptor
10-27-2012, 12:09 PM

Good stats does not equate to good relationship and Freeman has been inconsistent at best this year. it was mentioned yesterday on Mad Dog radio that the relationship between the two is a rocky one

Raptor
10-27-2012, 12:13 PM
Id be all for Rivers

That said I want a QB via the draft. Geno Smith is the QB I want and Id be willing to give a lot up for him(see Washington last year)

X-Era
10-27-2012, 12:38 PM
A few things.

I'm not a huge fan of this QB draft class. No one is even close to a player like Luck in my opinion. Only a few guys should go 1st round, none (in my opinion) should go top ten, and the strongest area of the QB draft probably sitting around the late 1st to early 3rd rounds. Just the way I see it as of now.
I don't think the Bills will make a big move up for the top guy if someone ends up in the top 10 or 5. I think they will look at who falls to their pick or look to other positions.
I think where you may see the Bills draft a QB is in rounds 2 or 3.
Because of all the above, at this point I'd like to see us look to rounds 2 or 3 for a prospect who isn't that far off from the top guy and where we may have many more closely ranked options at QB... It's a strategy to take advantage of cost (pick wise) vs. value.

My QB attribute wish list would be:

Decision making- In our spread we need guys who make quick and smart decisions
Accuracy- I care more about precise throws than long throws
Arm strength- After #1 and #2, I want to add a legit deep game that we just don't currently have
Pocket presence- Usually this won't be as much of a concern due to our system which usually features quick throws. But, to add the deep ball we need a guy who can stand in there for a bit longer and deliver the long throw.
Mobility- Having a guy who can scramble adds another option when we have no one open. It's a nice to have but not a have to have IMO.
Size- Again, our system is such that we are OK with smaller guys since the ball usually comes out quickly. We need a guy who can see the lanes so 6 foot or better is probably OK with 6 foot 2 inches or better as more ideal.

Who fits my list the best? I can't really say at this point but a few guys seem to be less of a fit to me. Guys like Bray and Wilson don't appeal as much to me. I like Smith but worry about his decision making a bit. I'd like a guy who excels at making quick and smart decisions with the ball; someone who reads defenses with ease.

better days
10-27-2012, 02:02 PM
Good stats does not equate to good relationship and Freeman has been inconsistent at best this year. it was mentioned yesterday on Mad Dog radio that the relationship between the two is a rocky one

Well, the Bucs are my second favorite team. I have watched every game Freeman has played as a Buc & I can tell you he is playing very good, better this year than he ever has. I also listen to the local sports talk radio a lot & have never heard there was a problem between Freeman & Schiano.

I'm sure Freeman is not buddies with Schiano like he was with Morris, but I'm sure they respect each other.

And if Freeman is inconsistant at best, Fitz should be so inconsistant! Freeman had a GREAT game against a GOOD Vikings defense Thursday night.