X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    • Jan 2009

Rookie QBs

Interesting year for the rookie signal callers. Already, most of them are leading their teams to wins. Today, the Colts already doubled their win total from a year ago to go to 4-3 -I know a lot you thought they were worst than they really were. My opinion on the Colts, is that they were not as bad as their record last year, not even close, but thats another matter. The Seahawks started out really hot leading the NFC West for a number of weeks and they still have a chance to compete for a playoff spot. The Browns have struggled mightily, however they look better than they have in years. The Bills are lucky to have played them so early in the year, if they played towards the end of the year I believe the game might have had a far different ending. The Redskins, outside of a couple of games, have been dynamic on offense and if it were not for a few major injuries and a little bad luck this team would be in position to get a wildcard spot. And lastly the Dolphins, at 4-3 and 3 straight wins there is little doubt now who is the second best team in the division. More importantly, if it were not for a few bad breaks this Dolphins team might be 6-1.

Recap: Rookie QBs leading teams to Wins!
    1) Seattle starts hot, but after two loses to formidable foes goes to 4-4
    2) Colts have already doubled last seasons total wins and now have a winning record of 4-3
    3) Redskins are 3-5 but have one of the best offenses in the NFL but their defense has given up as many points as the Bills D and you know how bad that is.
    4) The Browns have the look of a team that is improving and become a dangerous spoiler.
    5) Phins are a few unlucky bounces from being 5-2 or even 6-1. At this point they are 2nd best team in division and have the 2nd, 3rd & maybe 4th best QBs in the division.
    Please Make Sense
  • Mike13
    • Aug 2005

Re: Rookie QBs

Brandon Weeden is doomed to fail because of his age.
    The Browns will never build a quality team around him before he hits his "prime"

RGIII, Tannehill, Luck and Wison all seem like the real deal.

I'm just glad after a decade of ****ty QB play Miami has found a legit QB.

Comment

• Mike
      • Jan 2009

Maybe but Weeded is already better than Fitz, or Tebow, or Sanchez. He and Tennehil are about as good as each other and if he were younger than he would have been drafted ahead of Tennehil.
      Please Make Sense

Comment

• feldspar
        • Mar 2007

Just wait until it plays out. It's early yet. Yeah, some of these guys are playing well now, but wait until other teams get a hold of a full-season's game-tape on them and all their tendencies are better known. It'll be easier to exploit their weaknesses in most cases probably. Wait'll next year...you may have to cut your list in half. Look at what's happening to Cam Newton as compared to last year, for example.

Needless to say that each QB is an individual with a different story, too. Gotta look at who these guys are replacing...not hard to improve over those guys, almost always.

Some will improve, some will peter out. I wish we had Andrew Luck though.

Comment

• Mike
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
          Just wait until it plays out. It's early yet. Yeah, some of these guys are playing well now, but wait until other teams get a hold of a full-season's game-tape on them and all their tendencies are better known. It'll be easier to exploit their weaknesses in most cases probably. Wait'll next year...you may have to cut your list in half. Look at what's happening to Cam Newton as compared to last year, for example.

Needless to say that each QB is an individual with a different story, too. Gotta look at who these guys are replacing...not hard to improve over those guys, almost always.

Some will improve, some will peter out. I wish we had Andrew Luck though.
          You know it goes both ways....
          For one, you are absolutely right, sometimes players are figured out and are easy to stop, ala Fitz. However, you have to see why these QBs are excelling to be able to know if they are the real deal or a one trick pony. Fitz is a one trick pony as are Sanchez -I dont know even if he has one trick- and Tebow.

RG3 on the other hand reminds me Steve Young. He can beat you with his feet, his arm, and his mind. He is very accurate, has a great arm, and is excelling at reading defenses. He is everything the Falcons wanted Vick to be. Luck is in the same class. He is very cerebral and great at manipulating opposing players. I opposed Cam all of last year and ate a lot of Crow -was happy to. The thing I did not like about Cam is his lack of accuracy and understanding of the game, which is being exposed this year. No more 1-2 read and throw. Teams are taking those options away and challenging him to find the open 3 or 4 option or thread the needle. There are things I like about Weeded and Tennehil however I have not watched them play all that much so I cant speek about them. I really like Russel Wilson. He is a very smart QB, great leader and has a very good touch. I dont know if I see him being a top 5 QB or a QB on the same lavel as an RG3 or Luck but I think he will be a great started for many years to come. The type of QB that will help his teams win games, lead them to victory but not be truly elite. In the end, its all about depth.
          Please Make Sense

Comment

• Historian
            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
            • Dec 2002

I think Ponder and Tannehill are the real deal.

Good for them...proving the 'experts' wrong.

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Matt Moore looked pretty good at QB for the Fins yesterday. I think he is a FA next year & would be happy if the Bills signed him.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                • Sep 2008

3 to 5 years from now, more than half of these young QB's will be riding the bench.

Comment

• LtFinFan66
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Extremebillsfan247 View Post
                  3 to 5 years from now, more than half of these young QB's will be riding the bench.
                  love to hear why you think this?

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

How is Newton working out for the Panthers this season?
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Luisito23
                      Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                      • Apr 2003

You don't pronounce any rookie or young QB the "real deal" so early....Just ask Sanchez, and soon to be Newton.

Besides, aside from Luck and RG3 they all seem to be nothing but game managers anyways.
                      "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                      ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                      ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                      ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Ingtar33
                        Dances With Buffaloes
                        • Sep 2002

The Steelers shut down RG3 by forcing him to beat them with his arm. He wasn't able to do it.
                        My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
                          The Steelers shut down RG3 by forcing him to beat them with his arm. He wasn't able to do it.
                          A rookie can't beat Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh in a driving rainstorm?

Bust.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Mouldsie
                            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                            How is Newton working out for the Panthers this season?
                            He's playing pretty well. Very little support magnifies his mistakes.

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Mouldsie View Post
                              He's playing pretty well. Very little support magnifies his mistakes.
                              Unacceptable.

According to some, a 'franchise' QB elevates the abilities of their 'support', and are able to overcome the lack thereof and still produce victories. Can't win without a QB, right?

Well, apparently either you can't win with one either, or Newton isn't one at the moment.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X