PDA

View Full Version : How we match-up vs Texans

Mahdi
10-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Obviously we are going into a tough game here and it doesn't look good. However, I think the match-up is not bad for the Bills.

Bills OL vs Texans DL -- With Glenn and Urbik back this will by far be the best OL the Texans will have faced this year and definitely the best interior.

Watt is amazing but he will be matched up inside with Urbik and Wood which will be a tough match for him. Both can handle his power and speed. Texans will also be missing Cushing which is a huge loss to their run defense.

On the outside I think Glenn and Pears will hold up well against their OLBs. In spread formations they will have difficulty matching up with Stevie 1v1 and Chandler should have success down the middle.

I like the matchup of Jonathan Joseph on Stevie, Joseph is a speed guy which will not help him to deal with Stevie's routes.

On defense, the Texan OL is great in run blocking with their zone scheme but I think the Bills defenders would do better against a zone scheme than a power scheme. our LBs can run well which will help them rather than having to take on blocks head on and shed.

In the passing game our DL should have the advantage (if we play up to expectations). The Texans are not great in pass protection and are not overly strong inside so Dareus and Williams should be able to push the pocket. Whether Mario, Merriman and Moore can do some damage off the edge is questionable.

On the outside I like Gilmore vs Johnson. I think Gilmore will win this matchup. Owen Daniels is more of a concern because he is a very Witten like TE who finds soft spots and we have lots of soft spots in the middle.

Overall, although the Texans are the superior team obviously, I think we can win this game just based on how we matchup with their strengths and they with ours.

Ingtar33
10-29-2012, 12:18 PM
wow... dude.

I'd call the Texans one of the worst match-ups we can face. Their offense is going to steamroll this sorry excuse for a defense. We can only hope the Texans take a day off and it's not a 50-10 embarrassment.

imbondz
10-29-2012, 12:20 PM
nothing about this game says upset. lol

THE END OF ALL DAYS
10-29-2012, 12:39 PM
LOL yeah this is going to be a romp by the Texans. no good matchups for the bills except matching plane seats with the tickets for the ride home

justasportsfan
10-29-2012, 01:01 PM
You're forgetting the most important match-up Mahdi. Their O vs. Wanny. Don't like it like I don't like his stache.

Mahdi
10-29-2012, 01:11 PM
You're forgetting the most important match-up Mahdi. Their O vs. Wanny. Don't like it like I don't like his stache.

I think he will make some adjustments and I think our DL will be ready. Mario healthier, Moore emerging as a threat, Merriman might be healthiest he's been in years, Dareus and Williams are probably really motivated to show they can dominate a game.

Also Bradham gets some extra time to get comfortable in the defense and make a name for himself. Its a big opportunity he has.

I also think our young secondary will come out a stronger unit after the bye, especially the young guys Gilmore and Williams.

ParanoidAndroid
10-29-2012, 01:27 PM
Rosy outlook. Our offense will have a hard time sustaining drives and the Texans have one of the better running teams going against, by far and away, the worst rushing defense in the league. This looks more likely to be a very similar game to the beating we took in SF.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
10-29-2012, 01:28 PM
I think he will make some adjustments and I think our DL will be ready. Mario healthier, Moore emerging as a threat, Merriman might be healthiest he's been in years, Dareus and Williams are probably really motivated to show they can dominate a game.

Also Bradham gets some extra time to get comfortable in the defense and make a name for himself. Its a big opportunity he has.

I also think our young secondary will come out a stronger unit after the bye, especially the young guys Gilmore and Williams.

what possible reason do you think ANY of this is anything more then wishful thinking? None of the above has been born out by any evidence from the first half of the season.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-29-2012, 01:29 PM
Like I said about Tennessee, if we let their halfback get past our LBs and into the secondary, he's going to take it all the way to the house. Foster is better than Johnson and Johnson completely gashed us. This game is going to be a complete beating - this is the week to complete the "Honey Do" list.

RedEyE
10-29-2012, 01:36 PM
LOL Are we really doing this?

Mr. Miyagi
10-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Foster will break the NFL single game rushing record.

4 INTs for Fitz.

OpIv37
10-29-2012, 02:41 PM
nothing about this game says upset. lol

depends on how you use the term upset, because I think it's going to be pretty upsetting to watch.

YardRat
10-29-2012, 02:42 PM
Buffalo has Fitzpatrick, Sheppard and Wannstadt and Houston doesn't. Huge advantage for the Texans.

BuffaloWingEater
10-29-2012, 02:47 PM
Obviously we are going into a tough game here and it doesn't look good. However, I think the match-up is not bad for the Bills.

Bills OL vs Texans DL -- With Glenn and Urbik back this will by far be the best OL the Texans will have faced this year and definitely the best interior.

Watt is amazing but he will be matched up inside with Urbik and Wood which will be a tough match for him. Both can handle his power and speed. Texans will also be missing Cushing which is a huge loss to their run defense.

On the outside I think Glenn and Pears will hold up well against their OLBs. In spread formations they will have difficulty matching up with Stevie 1v1 and Chandler should have success down the middle.

I like the matchup of Jonathan Joseph on Stevie, Joseph is a speed guy which will not help him to deal with Stevie's routes.

On defense, the Texan OL is great in run blocking with their zone scheme but I think the Bills defenders would do better against a zone scheme than a power scheme. our LBs can run well which will help them rather than having to take on blocks head on and shed.

In the passing game our DL should have the advantage (if we play up to expectations). The Texans are not great in pass protection and are not overly strong inside so Dareus and Williams should be able to push the pocket. Whether Mario, Merriman and Moore can do some damage off the edge is questionable.

On the outside I like Gilmore vs Johnson. I think Gilmore will win this matchup. Owen Daniels is more of a concern because he is a very Witten like TE who finds soft spots and we have lots of soft spots in the middle.

Overall, although the Texans are the superior team obviously, I think we can win this game just based on how we matchup with their strengths and they with ours.

dude i want what you are having :D

SABURZFAN
10-29-2012, 03:12 PM
after watching the Texans drub the Ravens, i'm thinking that the Bills will get masacred this Sunday.

GingerP
10-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Any given Sunday, I guess, but your outlook is a little to sunshine and candy-canes.

Cushing is a big loss, but Houston is a pressure defense and the Bills struggle against that. They are going to get after Fitzpatrick and that will mean turnovers. I disagree with your analysis, Houston is a terrible matchup for the Bills.

As for the defense, given how much trouble the Bills have had in run fits, this is not a team they want to see. The Bills will try to tighten things up given the bye week, but if Houston gets it going it could get ugly.

I'm not sure how you make the case this is a good match-up. The Bills are going to have to bring their A-game to stay in it, and if they bring the kind of effort they did before the Bye they will get steamrolled.

OpIv37
10-29-2012, 04:36 PM
Any given Sunday, I guess, but your outlook is a little to sunshine and candy-canes.

Cushing is a big loss, but Houston is a pressure defense and the Bills struggle against that. They are going to get after Fitzpatrick and that will mean turnovers. I disagree with your analysis, Houston is a terrible matchup for the Bills.

As for the defense, given how much trouble the Bills have had in run fits, this is not a team they want to see. The Bills will try to tighten things up given the bye week, but if Houston gets it going it could get ugly.

I'm not sure how you make the case this is a good match-up. The Bills are going to have to bring their A-game to stay in it, and if they bring the kind of effort they did before the Bye they will get steamrolled.

This is another thing. The "any given Sunday" deal.

Back in '03 or '04, it felt like that. Even when I knew we were outmatched and would most likely lose, there was always that "any given Sunday" mentality. I'd still get pumped for games even when I knew we had little chance of winning, because hey, you never know. Remember Flutie over Jax? I was at that game in it was still fresh in my mind. Around '05, it changed. There is a reason why they play the games, and it's mathematically impossible to have a 0% chance of winning, but playing NE and some of the better teams in the league felt about as close to 0 as it could possibly get. There was just no feeling whatsoever that we could win. And unfortunately, it was true. Other than the victory over NE last year, when was the last time we went out and stole a game from a team we had no business beating? We literally went 6 or 7 years without so much as a quality regular season upset.

And this year is the worst one yet. NE, SF, now Houston.... any time a quality team comes up, it just feels like a thrashing. It just feels like an upset isn't even remotely possible, and I just hope we can keep it respectable and not completely embarrass ourselves.

Mouldsie
10-29-2012, 04:38 PM
JJ Watt will have 5 PD's and Foster will eclipse 200 yards rushing.

I dont see how that equals a possible victory.

BillsFever21
10-29-2012, 06:39 PM
I wouldn't doubt it if this game came close to being another 600 yard game against us. Most likely it will be around 500 though.

feldspar
10-29-2012, 06:54 PM
According to Vegas, the Bills match-up vs. the Texans to the tune of 11 points. If you were going to bet this game, would you bet the Bills +11 or the Texans -11?

Biggest spread in the NFL right now, BTW.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-29-2012, 07:19 PM
We are talking about a team that put up 40+ on the Ravens yes? This is a blowout waiting to happen. Texans, Bills 9

BillsFever21
10-29-2012, 07:22 PM
According to Vegas, the Bills match-up vs. the Texans to the tune of 11 points. If you were going to bet this game, would you bet the Bills +11 or the Texans -11?

I would take the Texans -11 without thinking twice about it. Especially with the game being in Houston. Most likely the only way they don't cover the spread is if we get a couple mop up TD's late in the game when their backups are in the game and they're just on cruise control.

TigerJ
10-31-2012, 10:44 AM
I think through most of the season, the Bills have been their own worst enemy. It doesn't really matter who the opponent is, they have to stop beating themselves with penalties, shoddy tackling, soft coverage, etc. ad nauseum. If they do that, there is talent on this team. Unfortunately, they still have Ryan Fitzpatrick starting, and I don't think the Bills have enough to overcome what has become this season a typical showing from Fitz to beat a good team like the Texans.

trapezeus
10-31-2012, 10:49 AM
Foster will break the NFL single game rushing record.

4 INTs for Fitz.

disagree. Fitz won't get more than 8 passes past the line of scrimmage. He gets balls batted back in his face from Linemen without their hands up. JJ Watt has been a beast in blocked passes.

I predict that bills offense will be so anemic, that this is the game where even Chan sits fitz at the end of a terrible 3rd quarter and gives it to thigpen. and next week is where the hurricane of changes come and people will say, "why didn't you do this in the bye week?" and chan will say, "because we were fixing things then. but it hasn't taken." and i'm guessing if gallop did a poll, you'd find out that the 3% of bills fans who thought we were still in this would firmly switch to "this is never ever happening."

there is no amount of alcohol that will make this season bearable.

OLDSRIP
10-31-2012, 02:28 PM
Mahdi, I like your positive thinking. but I can't see this game going well. I wish I could, but nothing I have seen so far this year takes me there.
even if the Bills made some great adjustments during the bye, the Texans will adjust at halftime and run away with the game. And I mean run away as in the running game. Who have we stopped yet this year? That's my prediction. I hope your right and I am wrong.

EDS
10-31-2012, 05:07 PM
Bills only chance to win this game is to get a lead early. There is absolutely no way they can stop Foster from chewing up yards if the Texans are playing with a lead and allowing the Texans pass rusher to pin their ears back and rush will be a bad thing.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-31-2012, 05:22 PM
Bills only chance to win this game is to get a lead early. There is absolutely no way they can stop Foster from chewing up yards if the Texans are playing with a lead and allowing the Texans pass rusher to pin their ears back and rush will be a bad thing.

Our rush defense is so horrendous that, unless we utterly bury a team in the first half, the run game is never off the table. I mean, a team in the 3rd quarter down 17 against us can still just start clocking off 6 ypc until they score.

Buffalogic
11-01-2012, 06:51 PM
JJ Swatt going to bat down about 18 crappy low line drive fitzpatrick passes, a few leading to pick sixes

mybills
11-02-2012, 11:00 AM
I hope they've been working on opening holes for CJ & Fred since the ground game is probably the only way to win this. Watts is a QB nightmare. :ill:

Mr. Pink
11-02-2012, 07:28 PM
:rofl:

We lose by 4 scores or more. Write it down.

We matchup well?!? Are you high?

They're one of the top running teams in football, we can't stop the run.

Foster will run for 150+

Mr. Pink
11-02-2012, 07:31 PM

You could double that line and I still wouldn't bet on the Bills.