PDA

View Full Version : BuffaloWins Articles

Pages : [1] 2

Joebuffalowins
10-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Would be honored if you'd listen...alright, honor is a bit much.

http://www.buffalowins.com/podcasts/podcasts/talkamania-xx-bills-pats-review.html

Joebuffalowins
10-03-2012, 07:33 PM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/field-goals-quarter-pole-awards.html

1stQuarter MVP – CJ Spiller: This is easy. Spiller has been dynamic and a game breaking talent. He appeared capable of scoring 52 against Cleveland on his own prior to his shoulder injury. Aside from his goal line fumble against New England, he has been Buffalo’s most reliable back. Spiller will continue to split carries with Fred Jackson as the season progresses and could potentially make the ground attack the focal point of the offense.

Albany,n.y.
10-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Bills most valuable head coach: Chan Gailey-The fan's choice. That is for fans who want to leave the game early or turn it off at home before the game ends. You get no nail biters with this guy.

Thurmal
10-03-2012, 09:03 PM
The Lee Evans/Eric Moulds Memorial Award for the #1 Receiver that Inexplicably Gets Only Two Passes Thrown His Way A Game: Steve Johnson

jamze132
10-04-2012, 04:06 AM
The Lee Evans/Eric Moulds Memorial Award for the #1 Receiver that Inexplicably Gets Only Two Passes Thrown His Way A Game: Steve Johnson

Maybe Stevie needs to concentrate a little more, especially with his route running. How many times has he and Fitz not been on the same page thus far? And when the ball does go to him, how many times has he dropped it? Twice last week in key spots.

Night Train
10-04-2012, 04:57 AM
Fools Gold Award - Russ Brandon

Every year, good hearted fans flush the previous failure away and believe the sales pitch that THIS team will be different...buying tickets and merchandise. Then they watch their team get lit up within the division, due to subpar coaching and QB play.

Next year, a QB in Round 1 with a new coach. That equals a stampede to the ticket window.

Crisis
10-04-2012, 05:19 AM
Maybe Stevie needs to concentrate a little more, especially with his route running. How many times has he and Fitz not been on the same page thus far? And when the ball does go to him, how many times has he dropped it? Twice last week in key spots.

How many times has he been wide open and Fitz underthrown him?

Fitz also gets our WRs killed with his terrible accuracy... puts them in awkward positions all the time because he can't deliver the ball where it should be.

Historian
10-04-2012, 06:49 AM
Replacement Refs for not costing us any games.

gebobs
10-04-2012, 10:48 AM
The 100 Million Dollar Baby Award: guess

OpIv37
10-04-2012, 10:54 AM
Quarter awards? Why?

We're 2-2. And even if we were 4-0, 4-0 in September doesn't mean anything (see last year).

No one has earned **** yet.

kingJofNYC
10-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Profootball focus gave honorable mentions to CJ, Kyle, and Byrd.

gebobs
10-04-2012, 12:03 PM
I have been pleasantly surprised with Byrd's work. He's been hitting like a Mack truck.

kingJofNYC
10-04-2012, 12:11 PM
I have been pleasantly surprised with Byrd's work. He's been hitting like a Mack truck.

Really have a feeling that he's going to walk. There's a dearth of safeties, a reliable one like Byrd is going to make good money. Bet he ends up on the Giants.

Joebuffalowins
10-04-2012, 07:35 PM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/are-the-coaches-dated.html

Gailey is 60 years old, making him the 3rd oldest coach in the league. Dave Wannstedt is the same age. Sorry to be harsh, but Gailey has been a proven failure at this level. Tom Coughlin and Pete Carroll are older, but they had success in Jacksonville and USC respectively. Where has Gailey's success been? It's mediocrity at its finest. Did you know since the start of 2010 season, the Bills have the 3rd fewest wins in the NFL? Yup, 12 wins and only the Browns and Rams trail them by 1 and 3 wins respectively. I wonder if those teams have any slogans dedicated to their GMs and coaches? It is easy to make the comparison of Nix and Gailey to their predecessors because the likes of Jauron and Donahoe were terrible, but what about the rest of the NFL?

SpikedLemonade
10-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Yup

BillsFever21
10-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Oh but to some Gailey is a very good coach who is doing a good job. He just inherited a horrible team and it's going to take some time to turn it around..

That is an incredible stat. Not only are we the worse team over the past 13 years as far as being the only one not to make the playoffs and having only one winning season we're also ranked 30th in wins since Gailey took over. All of this and some still think he is a good coach. Good thing we got off to a lucky start last season or we would be the worse over the past 36 games.

Some of these guys laugh at other coaches and teams like the Jaguars, Raiders, etc, but even they have been better then us even during the past several years. As I said earlier, Gailey is a proven loser as a HC at the NFL level. If he hasn't gotten by age 60 he never will.

This isn't a young HC who just recently stepped up from being an assistant coach. This is somebody with decades of experience who has proven that he can't win. I didn't like his hiring then but was willing to give him a chance but after 2+ years I dislike it even more.

BertSquirtgum
10-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Chan Gailey should have been fired last year.

better days
10-05-2012, 08:33 AM
Oh but to some Gailey is a very good coach who is doing a good job. He just inherited a horrible team and it's going to take some time to turn it around..

That is an incredible stat. Not only are we the worse team over the past 13 years as far as being the only one not to make the playoffs and having only one winning season we're also ranked 30th in wins since Gailey took over. All of this and some still think he is a good coach. Good thing we got off to a lucky start last season or we would be the worse over the past 36 games.

Some of these guys laugh at other coaches and teams like the Jaguars, Raiders, etc, but even they have been better then us even during the past several years. As I said earlier, Gailey is a proven loser as a HC at the NFL level. If he hasn't gotten by age 60 he never will.

This isn't a young HC who just recently stepped up from being an assistant coach. This is somebody with decades of experience who has proven that he can't win. I didn't like his hiring then but was willing to give him a chance but after 2+ years I dislike it even more.

Well, I can't say just how good Chan is as a HC, but I can say NO HC could have won with the team Chan was hired to Coach. The talent on this team is much improved, we just need a QB in a bad way.

mrbojanglezs
10-05-2012, 11:32 AM
I don't think gailey is dated as an offensive mind. By he may be dated in terms of his coaching style. Wannstedts D def seems dated to me. All the best defenses in the league incorporate blitzes

Generalissimus Gibby
10-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Not outdated, just out of their proper role or awful. Chan Gailey is a brilliant OC, and has made a career of turning ****ty qbs into halfway decent starters. If we had drafted Andy Dalton or any other competent qb people would be comparing him to Tom Brady. However, as a HC he is out of his element. Dave Wandstache on the other hand is just awful and should be terminated.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
10-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Dave Wandstache on the other hand is just awful and should be terminated.
with extreme prejudice

mjt328
10-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Not outdated, just out of their proper role or awful. Chan Gailey is a brilliant OC, and has made a career of turning ****ty qbs into halfway decent starters. If we had drafted Andy Dalton or any other competent qb people would be comparing him to Tom Brady. However, as a HC he is out of his element. Dave Wandstache on the other hand is just awful and should be terminated.

Agreed completely.

That's my biggest fear about getting rid of him. I feel like Gailey has done a lot of really good things with this team offensively, and I would hate to lose him on that side of the ball.
If we brought in another head coach, there is a good chance everything would get an overall and our offense would go back to the Losman/Edwards days.

And for the most part, I think he (and Nix) have the right philosophy about how to build a team... minus the whole quarterback thing.

Unfortunately, Gailey is worthless in helping out the defense. And his two d-coordinator choices have been horrible.
Lots of other teams are successful with the HC running one side of the ball, and the coordinator handling the other side. You just have to get the right combination.
- Green Bay has McCarthy on offense and Capers on defense
- New Orleans had Payton on offense and Williams on defense
- Houston has Kubiak on offense and Phillips on defense

trapezeus
10-05-2012, 01:07 PM
pete carroll is 60 years old? and older than Chan? Am I reading this right from the original post?

chan looks like crap if he's younger than pete carroll.

trapezeus
10-05-2012, 01:10 PM
also, in terms of the bills having zero options at HC since everyone and their mother turned them down, i'm pretty sure chan is the best option we've got.

imagine the horror of a new un-heard of high school coach getting the gig, or an expensive retread like billick who clearly won as a result of a great defense with great defensive players while being an offensive genius who couldn't get his team into the endzone.

there is no future for the bills. anything they do or have done doesn't work out. it's maddening.

more cowbell
10-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Gailey is a good offensive coach. He is a miserable head coach.

The Stache shouldn't even be in the league...

BillsFever21
10-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Agreed completely.

That's my biggest fear about getting rid of him. I feel like Gailey has done a lot of really good things with this team offensively, and I would hate to lose him on that side of the ball.
If we brought in another head coach, there is a good chance everything would get an overall and our offense would go back to the Losman/Edwards days.

And for the most part, I think he (and Nix) have the right philosophy about how to build a team... minus the whole quarterback thing.

Unfortunately, Gailey is worthless in helping out the defense. And his two d-coordinator choices have been horrible.
Lots of other teams are successful with the HC running one side of the ball, and the coordinator handling the other side. You just have to get the right combination.
- Green Bay has McCarthy on offense and Capers on defense
- New Orleans had Payton on offense and Williams on defense
- Houston has Kubiak on offense and Phillips on defense

It would be nice just to keep him on as an OC if he fails again this year but that's not a possibility. He wouldn't stay and take a demotion. There are other good offensive minds out there you just need to find them. It's not like Gailey is the best or only offensive mind out there that he isn't replaceable.

It doesn't matter if he's a good OC or not if he sucks as a HC. Not just our coaches but many others around the league were good OC's or DC's but they just weren't any good as a HC. You can't keep them on just because of that. Ralph needs to have a good front office and/or be willing to fork out the money to bring not only a good HC here but decent coordinators too. That isn't the case with him though.

The comparisons you made with the other coaches isn't 100 percent accurate. Sure they call their own plays and run their offense but they also decide on how the team is going to play. Just like Tom Coughlin. He has Gilbride as an OC but his playcalling is totally different because Coughlin makes him stick with the plan that he wants to follow with the team or during a game. Gilbride will call the plays depending on what strategy Coughlin wants to play. When Gilbride was an OC in Buffalo that wasn't the case. He just did his own thing for the most part.

It's not like them HC's are just in charge of the offense and the DC is just in charge of the defense. They are still in charge of the team and strategy and style of play that the coach wants to do on the other side of the ball.

They tried that experiment in Dallas where Wade was just in charge of the defense and Garrett was just in charge of the offense and they both did their own thing. There wasn't any leadership and even though both of them were good coordinators you still need somebody to call the shots and prepare the team and that wasn't the case in that situation.

Gailey just can't cut it as a HC. If he fails this season then he needs to go. He's had many years in the NFL to prove himself. Just because somebody is a good coordinator doesn't mean they will be a HC.

ServoBillieves
10-05-2012, 07:36 PM
More doom and gloom. 2-2 and we're dated and terribad. DOOM I SAY! Those wins were nothing!

BillsFever21
10-05-2012, 07:47 PM
More doom and gloom. 2-2 and we're dated and terribad. DOOM I SAY! Those wins were nothing!

I think it has more to do with 12-24 since he's been here and not showing any great improvement this year either. Not to mention the 12-24 we have we also had an 8 game losing streak the first year and lost 7 out of our last 8 the second season. Both of our wins this year was against teams with a combined 1 WIN all season. We're also 2-12 in the division over that span. We've finished in last place both seasons too.

Them aren't the signs of a good coaching staff. A good coaching staff doesn't lose that many games in a row in consecutive seasons and 2-10 in the division. Not to mention they completely choked after a 5-2 start. We're also 4-14 on the road during that span. Even the Dolphins have won at least 5 games in the division in the past couple years.

This year we beat a couple bad teams and was blown out in both of our divisional. Keep on thinking that it's just this season though. But hey we're 2-2 so far this season though so everything is just fine and dandy. Many people kept saying the same things when Dick Jauron was here too.

Chan Gailey has also spent decades in the NFL and coaching. He is still only 60 years old though. He's still a young buck and not a veteran coach. All it will take is some time for him to turn it around even though he is 60 years old and was only a HC for two years in his career and that nobody else wanted him except for Buffalo.

I understand we have such a good background though that we've proved we're that much smarter then the rest of the teams in the NFL. They were just all wrong over all these years and Gailey really is a great HC. All of these years of success and smart moves give you that high standard around the league.

BillsFever21
10-05-2012, 08:01 PM
If you take away our long stretch of losing streaks over the past couple years we're 11-8 though. I guess we're not doing too bad if you take away the bad stretches.

NOT THE DUDE...
10-06-2012, 12:46 AM
Chan Gailey should have been fired last year.

dang, that girl is mezmerizing

Joebuffalowins
10-06-2012, 09:48 AM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/week-5-staff-predictions-49ers-vs-bills.html

Only way the Bills can win this game is if they stop Frank Gore and make Alex Smith beat them. The 49ers have given up the 6th most sacks this year (12) while only attempting 114 passes, which ranks 30th in the NFL. Keep in mind Smith was sacked 44 times last year, which was 26th most in the NFL. So, the Bills should be able to get pressure. Right? RIGHT?!

Joebuffalowins
10-06-2012, 09:53 AM
http://www.buffalowins.com/site/when-rooting-interests-collide-lamentations-of-a-bills-and-49ers-fan.html

I root hard and I root proudly for both my teams. I have a "1a" and a "1b" football team, and unlike a certain Buffalo hockey coach who claims to have a 1a and a 1b goaltender and then proceeds to ride his "1a" for 95 games in an 82-game season, I split my support equally between both of them. There's usually no conflict of interest here; residing in different conferences means their best interests are almost never in contention with each other. Asking me to choose between them is like asking me which one of my children is my favorite.
(http://www.buffalowins.com/site/when-rooting-interests-collide-lamentations-of-a-bills-and-49ers-fan.html)

zone
10-06-2012, 10:35 AM
I don't know how anyone has 2 favorite teams. It's like having 2 wives, one is enough for me.

JoeMama
10-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Liking another team other than the Bills???

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/JoeMama025/samuelljacksonz.gif

Samuel L. Jackson disapproves.

JoeMama
10-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Wow Pete Carroll's aged well.

DynaPaul
10-06-2012, 11:17 AM
I think Nix can put together a good roster but what this team needs is a screaming type of head coach with a lot of fire to immolate the persistent culture of losing around here. These mellow types just aren't doing it.

imbondz
10-06-2012, 11:37 AM
I understand having a 2nd favorite team, but never in a million years would I want my 2nd favorite team to beat the Bills.

ServoBillieves
10-06-2012, 11:42 AM
I live in Charlotte, so I do watch the Panthers games and do enjoy the team and atmosphere... but you'd better believe that if they were playing each other I would spit on the Panthers in a heartbeat.

Novacane
10-06-2012, 11:48 AM
I wish I could like a team other than the Bills.

imbondz
10-06-2012, 12:46 PM
I live in Nashville and haaaaaaaaaaate the Titans.

JoeMama
10-06-2012, 12:50 PM
I was born on the bay, so I very well could have grown up a Niners fan but nooooooo, my mother's family was from Buffalo.

So a Bills fan I will remain until the day I die.

- - - Updated - - -

On the plus side, I'm an A's fan!

They're doing well... finally.

Extremebillsfan247
10-06-2012, 03:25 PM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/are-the-coaches-dated.html

Gailey is 60 years old, making him the 3rd oldest coach in the league. Dave Wannstedt is the same age. Sorry to be harsh, but Gailey has been a proven failure at this level. Tom Coughlin and Pete Carroll are older, but they had success in Jacksonville and USC respectively. Where has Gailey's success been? It's mediocrity at its finest. Did you know since the start of 2010 season, the Bills have the 3rd fewest wins in the NFL? Yup, 12 wins and only the Browns and Rams trail them by 1 and 3 wins respectively. I wonder if those teams have any slogans dedicated to their GMs and coaches? It is easy to make the comparison of Nix and Gailey to their predecessors because the likes of Jauron and Donahoe were terrible, but what about the rest of the NFL? Age has nothing to do with it. Scheme and personnel is what means the difference between a winning franchise and a struggling one. Jauron wasn't terrible, he was just mediocre. Bills fans wanted a post season, not another 7-9 season. So, Jauron had to go. But his team gave it everything it had. In the years Jauron was this team's head coach, I hadn't seen 1 game where this team quit on him like it has on Gailey. In my opinion, that is far more of a reason that the Bills should consider other options at the Head Coach position than how old Gailey is.

Joebuffalowins
10-06-2012, 03:57 PM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/becauseitsbuffalo.html

These blanket classifications, in their nature, very seldom hold positive connotations. What’s worse than the feeling that someone is wrongfully slinging generalizations at you and those like you? When the things said are validated, becoming more sad truth than satire, now that’s painful.
Fans who follow and journalists who cover Buffalo sports teams have been seen by anyone who knows the least bit about either as eccentrics for some time now. The conception is that they’re masters of overreaction who have two modes – severely blind optimism and damning sky-is-falling negativity.
Here comes the sad part – this calendar year, we’ve solidified our position as those people.

Skooby
10-06-2012, 04:10 PM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/becauseitsbuffalo.html

These blanket classifications, in their nature, very seldom hold positive connotations. What’s worse than the feeling that someone is wrongfully slinging generalizations at you and those like you? When the things said are validated, becoming more sad truth than satire, now that’s painful.
Fans who follow and journalists who cover Buffalo sports teams have been seen by anyone who knows the least bit about either as eccentrics for some time now. The conception is that they’re masters of overreaction who have two modes – severely blind optimism and damning sky-is-falling negativity.
Here comes the sad part – this calendar year, we’ve solidified our position as those people.

It's basically profiling OPiv on the damning part, which he's been right about for years.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-06-2012, 05:50 PM
I go to some Broncos games because they can be entertaining. But again, when they play each other my loyalty isn't split one bit.

Mr. Pink
10-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Well, I can't say just how good Chan is as a HC, but I can say NO HC could have won with the team Chan was hired to Coach. The talent on this team is much improved, we just need a QB in a bad way.

Even Dick Jauron won more with that "team" Chan was hired to coach.

JoeMama
10-06-2012, 05:52 PM
I go to some Broncos games because they can be entertaining. But again, when they play each other my loyalty isn't split one bit.

For real.

I live in Jacksonville and recognize the importance of the Jaguars and their importance to our city and economy.

But when the Bills come to town...

**** EM!!!

THRILLHO
10-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Liking another team other than the Bills???

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/JoeMama025/samuelljacksonz.gif

Samuel L. Jackson disapproves.
SAY YOU LIKE TWO TEAMS AGAIN. I MOTHER EFFING DARE YOU.

THRILLHO
10-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Right. Because the defense they have isn't stellar? Lets not forget about that...

coastal
10-06-2012, 09:09 PM
The 49ers rule.

WNY drools.

SquishDaFish
10-06-2012, 09:18 PM
This *** is still posting here when he says hes a niners fan??

Skooby
10-06-2012, 09:39 PM
The 49ers rule.

WNY drools.

Blondie, it's time for one of those "leather training" sessions.

gebobs
10-07-2012, 02:37 AM
I have lived in Atlanta for 15 years. I will never root for the Falcons. I will be a miserable cuss the rest of my life.

more cowbell
10-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Go Bills

coastal
10-07-2012, 11:47 AM
This *** is still posting here when he says hes a niners fan??
I'm going to have a great day!!!

Skooby
10-07-2012, 12:19 PM
I'm going to have a great day!!!

We'll see cochise, we'll see.

Joebuffalowins
10-07-2012, 10:26 PM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/bills-49ers-recap-45-3.html

Final word: The saddest part in all of this is even if the Bills fired Wanny or Gailey, who the hell is going to want to come here? We went through this song and dance with the coach search from hell in 2009. It was hideous. Not sure if you guys remember, but we tried going after Jim Harbaugh and he flat out said no to us. Dude wouldn't even get on a plane to check out our wings. Why would anyone change his mind now? What has changed? Nothing. It has gotten worse. We are stuck with this and yes, we are ****ed.

Joebuffalowins
10-08-2012, 09:22 PM
http://www.buffalowins.com/podcasts/talkamania-xxi-bills-49ers-review.html

Recapping Bills/49ers. Would be happy if you guys would listen.

THATHURMANATOR
10-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Nice!!! Cool site man!!!

imbondz
10-09-2012, 12:04 AM
hi corey

JoeMama
10-09-2012, 04:37 PM
SAY YOU LIKE TWO TEAMS AGAIN. I MOTHER EFFING DARE YOU.

Has anyone told you that you have the best handle on BFZ?

Joebuffalowins
10-10-2012, 09:55 AM
For you reading pleasure

http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/tick-tick-tick.html

It’s the oft-talked about proverbial turd in the punchbowl when ANY discussion of the Bills comes up. It’s a magnifying glass, increasing in strength with each passing season. By-products include a fan base that often seems to be in ever-increasing need of Zoloft. Folks are gonna be off the deep end when the defense is shredded for 97 points in 2 weeks. Add in the cocktail of equal parts ridiculous 12-year playoff drought, No QB of the future, and “What happens when the soon-to-be 94 yr old owner finally kicks it”, things get ratcheted up a notch.

http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/field-goals-questions-to-be-answered.html (http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/field-goals-questions-to-be-answered.html)

Well, they came out 2-3, like many thought in the preseason. But the Bills didn’t end up 2-3 in the manner that most expected. A pair of lopsided losses has all but drained hope and interest from most fans. What remains are lingering questions and some semi-sarcastic remarks about #GiveUpForGeno and what number the Bills’ eventual number one pick will wear. There are three specific questions that need to be answered by the Bills before the season is out. Assuming that some of the same song and dance continues, these questions might be answered by mid-season.

Joebuffalowins
10-11-2012, 09:32 AM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/know-your-enemy-arizona-cardinals.html

Joebuffalowins
10-12-2012, 09:03 AM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/money-changes-everything.html

Now, I'd be an idiot if I was trying to place all of the blame or even 50% of it on Stevie. Fitz has been a tire fire. However, it is not like these guys haven't connected in the past. This isn't a Trent Edwards/Lee Evans situation where the pairing had very little past success. I just don't want to go down the road of giving Johnson a free pass if he continues to struggle. It is like giving all of the blame to Mario Williams for the DL struggling when there are a lot of other well paid players on that line doing badly.

kingJofNYC
10-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Greg Cosell has a done a few podcasts this week with Peter King, Doug Farrar, and another person who's name escapes me at the moment, and he's killed Fitz. To paraphrase, awful, very inaccurate, missing at least 5 throws every game that a starting caliber QB should make.

Fitz is dog ****. The Eye In the Sky series by WGR also highlight how bad Fitz has been. TJ Graham would be near the top in rookie receiver yards if Fitz could throw the ball 15+.

OpIv37
10-12-2012, 12:15 PM
There have definitely been some screw-ups on Johnson's part this year. Nothing major like his high-profile drops or stupid penalties from previous seasons, but certainly there were plays where he could have done better. That being said, I really can't blame him too much because Fitz has just been so awful. Johnson really hasn't had any chance to do anything. Every time he gets open deep, Fitz misses him. Every time he's on a slant or crossing route, Fitz can't hit him in stride and Johnson has to adjust to the ball, eliminating the chance for any YAC.

I'm all about distributing the blame because there is certainly a lot to go around, but it really is hard to give too much of it to Stevie or the other WR's with the situations they've been put in. They are getting open. There haven't been many drops. Fitz just can't get them the ball.

Joebuffalowins
10-12-2012, 02:19 PM
For now, I'm with you. However, I just dont want this to become like Lee where everyone gave him a pass. As for the eye in the sky by wgr, sometimes I dont trust it cause if the WR who is open isnt the primary or secondary guy, it doesnt matter if he's open if the ball is suppose to go somewhere else.

BillsFever21
10-12-2012, 04:49 PM
For now, I'm with you. However, I just dont want this to become like Lee where everyone gave him a pass. As for the eye in the sky by wgr, sometimes I dont trust it cause if the WR who is open isnt the primary or secondary guy, it doesnt matter if he's open if the ball is suppose to go somewhere else.

Are you serious? A good QB will find that open guy if his primary receiver isn't open or if he has a better shot with a wide open guy somewhere else.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-12-2012, 05:43 PM

Let me put it to you this way: If Johnson, the "decoy" receiver, is gettign wide open. That means that either he's beating the coverage even when it's focused on him or the DC is recognizing SJ is the decoy and letting him go. The former actually shows that Johnson is better than advertised, and the latter puts the blame squarely on Gailey for not adjusting or having tells.

casdhf
10-13-2012, 08:43 AM
I think Stevie half-asses it because he has no faith that Fitz will get him the ball.

YardRat
10-14-2012, 08:06 AM
Fitz Has been a train wreck this season, for all but a couple of quarters, maybe.

Good thing we brought in a QB 'guru' to straighten out his mechanics...he looks worse than he ever has, and that's saying something. Screw David Lee and his coaching, just throw the ball how you feel comfortable and deal with the results.

Mike
10-14-2012, 02:15 PM
I think Stevie half-asses it because he has no faith that Fitz will get him the ball.

And that why QB is the Biggest Issue the Bills have and by far the most important position on any NFL team. You could have Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, and TO on your team and with Fitz throwing them the Ball you would think that they were a bunch of average joes.

What is worst, is that often the other players on the team will regress. They will half ass it, ala Randy Moss in Oakland...

Joebuffalowins
10-14-2012, 10:17 PM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/bills-cardinals-recap-19-16.html

"As I've written a few times in the past, realistically, you have to hope for the Bills to be the Chiefs of 2010. A mediocre team that can beat other mediocre teams, finish 10-6, and get crushed in the playoffs. That's it. Yes, it is lowering expectations but beggars can't be choosers, especially after 12 years without the playoffs."

Joebuffalowins
10-15-2012, 11:58 AM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/statistic-of-the-week-4-78.html

"Given the bizarre (to put it nicely) nature of this week’s game, there were certainly plenty of statistics to pull from. Despite the win this week, it would be naïve to ignore the many issues the Bills have experienced over the past few weeks, most of which carried over to this week. The issue that I see as the most concerning moving forward is the inefficiency of the passing game, that’s where the number 4.78 comes in."

Skooby
10-15-2012, 12:18 PM
It was that high on YPP? I was thinking like a 3.5 yard average, at most.

Joebuffalowins
10-17-2012, 09:03 AM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/field-goals-on-beating-the-titans.html

However, sports are more about the destination, not the journey. So far the destination for the Bills is the exact same as a number of teams who, on paper, would likely be considered vastly superior. Yet, the Bills head into their final game before the bye against a beatable opponent and the opportunity to climb back above .500.

Tennessee is a team that has their own set of strengths and weaknesses, but they certainly are a good matchup for the Bills. Considering the Bills nearly snatched defeat from the jaws of victory against Arizona, there will still need to be a few improvements made in order to beat the Titans.

OpIv37
10-17-2012, 11:07 AM
This is what we call a "trap" game.

On paper, the Bills can beat the Titans, and it's a home game with a chance to go into the bye week with a winning record.

These are the situations where the Bills usually choke. They get caught looking forward and aren't living in the moment during the game. It's a winnable game that they will lose.

And it's important, too: we have the Texans and the Patriots coming out of the bye. Lose this one and we're staring 3-6 right in the face.

Joebuffalowins
10-17-2012, 12:15 PM

On paper, the Bills can beat the Titans, and it's a home game with a chance to go into the bye week with a winning record.

These are the situations where the Bills usually choke. They get caught looking forward and aren't living in the moment during the game. It's a winnable game that they will lose.

And it's important, too: we have the Texans and the Patriots coming out of the bye. Lose this one and we're staring 3-6 right in the face.

It is crazy the Titans are 2-4. They are last in a ton of offensive/defensive categories. So, yes, trap game indeed.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-17-2012, 12:33 PM
The run game breakdowns have got to stop. I know Chris Johnson isn't playing like he used to, but he's found some of his rhythm again, and if we let him into the secondary the same way we were against the Pats, 49ers, and even the Cardinals, then he'll be dancing in the endzone.

Mr. Miyagi
10-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Don't we always lose the so-called "trap games"?

OpIv37
10-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Don't we always lose the so-called "trap games"?

yes, because the team is mentally weak and has been at least since the Jauron days.

ServoBillieves
10-17-2012, 01:50 PM
I'm calling it right now. I have a deep, nauseating feeling that we will do phenomenal defensively for 95% of the plays, both with the run defense and pass D. That other 5%? A draw play to Chris Johnson that goes for 53 yards for a score, and a ridiculous 60+ bomb to a receiver from a backup (who was a starter, I know).

Pair that with the crap they pulled off against the Steelers and Lions, and oi...

Beebe
10-17-2012, 11:25 PM
I really hate this team, I hope we beat the **** out of them. Oh yeah, and that ****ing old guy.

imbondz
10-17-2012, 11:32 PM
hate the Titans, but for some reason it always seems like they have our number. have a bad feeling about this game

Mike
10-18-2012, 03:08 AM

How can it be a trap game?

Trap game implies that your team is so good at winning that it overlooks a weak opponent. The Bills are not a good team and have not been one since 1999 so the idea that they are overlooking anyone is quite ironic. Its like a 3 year old trying to take care of her baby doll.

You have to be good before you can have trap games.

OpIv37
10-18-2012, 08:23 AM
How can it be a trap game?

Trap game implies that your team is so good at winning that it overlooks a weak opponent. The Bills are not a good team and have not been one since 1999 so the idea that they are overlooking anyone is quite ironic. Its like a 3 year old trying to take care of her baby doll.

You have to be good before you can have trap games.

I don't think you have to be good to have a trap game. I think you just have to be better than the team you are playing that week, and have something more important down the road. As bad as we are, on paper we're still better than the Titans. And it's at home, which means the Bills will be favored.

After this game, there's the bye, then two tough games against Houston and NE. I think the bye week and the upcoming challenges could make the Bills overlook the Texans and not work as hard as they would have if they were playing, say, NE (not that it helped the last time out).

Joebuffalowins
10-18-2012, 10:14 AM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/kneel-before-necci-college-qbs.html

Tyler Bray - Tennessee: Brash. Confident. Cocky. Those are the three adjectives that come to mind when watching Tyler. He isn't afraid to sling into tight spots, talk it up on the field, or take a chance, and he has a rocket attached to his right shoulder. Reminds me of Jay Cutler. Would you take Cutler right now over Fitzpatrick? Exactly. Tennessee started out 2-0 , but got worked, 37-20, in a home game vs. the Gators. Tyler ended up throwing for 2 TD's and 2 INT's that game to go along with 257 yards. Tennessee has already lost their two biggest games on the season (Florida mentioned above and a shootout vs.

TigerJ
10-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Lots of things can change before April, but right now, Geno Smith is the favorite among mock drafters to go first overall. I think Buffalo has a chance to get EJ Manuel if they are so inclined. I think Bray is probably going to move up and down quite a bit before the draft happens. We have to see where people think he'll be slotted as the draft gets closer.

Mr. Miyagi
10-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Brash. Confident. Cocky. Rocket arm. 2 TDs 2 INTs 257 yards.

Who else does this remind you of other than Cutler?

Losman.

Bill Cody
10-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Brash. Confident. Cocky. Rocket arm. 2 TDs 2 INTs 257 yards.

Who else does this remind you of other than Cutler?

Losman.

He said cocky not *****

k-oneputt
10-19-2012, 08:58 AM
Don't worry I'm sure one of their superscouts will unearth some gem of a prospect from the Sunbelt Conference that we will take late in the draft and develop.

DraftBoy
10-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Don't worry I'm sure one of their superscouts will unearth some gem of a prospect from the Sunbelt Conference that we will take late in the draft and develop.

Kawaun Jakes!

Joebuffalowins
10-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Kawaun Jakes!

Matt Rodgers!

Joebuffalowins
10-19-2012, 10:39 AM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/week-7-know-your-enemy-tennessee-titans.html

6) What has Mike Munchak done for your team?
The main thing he's done, which happened right away, was to change the culture. That seems to have helped more last year than it has this season. On the field, it seems to me that he differs from Jeff Fisher in two respects. Munch acknowledges that this has changed into a passing league and he doesn't mind throwing the ball around. He also seems to be less conservative than Fisher was in one area. Munchak is more willing to go for it on fourth down in the red zone whereas Fisher was content to settle for field goals.

DraftBoy
10-19-2012, 10:53 AM
Matt Rodgers!

Derek Thompson...

Bill Cody
10-19-2012, 11:40 AM
I'm keeping an eye on EJ Manuel of Florida State

Raptor
10-19-2012, 01:22 PM
No way on Bray

trapezeus
10-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Bray, in that vs Gators game i watched, was incredibly accurate and gets rid of the ball with touch.

though last year, i liked russell Wilson. and i liked him mostly because he found ways to win. I think that matters early for a QB. if they know how to win in college, when they get to pros, they aren't jittery and more composed to be able to handle that the game is moving much faster than they were used to.

So the fact bray has lost of the bigger matchups, worries me. but i did like how he threw. honestly, if fitz had his touch, i think the bills are a 5-1 team or 4-2 team with much more confidence.

k-oneputt
10-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Bray has Bama tomorrow. check it out .

Night Train
10-21-2012, 05:04 AM
Boy, did the Geno Smith bandwagon hit a wall. Collin Klein now your Heisman leader.

Joebuffalowins
10-21-2012, 04:27 PM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/the-bills-fall-to-titans.html

Novacane
10-21-2012, 04:33 PM
They aren't going to beat the Texans and Pats. In fact, they are going to get destroyed. At 3-6 and having the mental toughness of a 6-year-old nerd whose lunch money was stolen, you really think this team is going to make a run?

:rofl:

Joebuffalowins
10-21-2012, 06:15 PM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/not-knowing-when-to-be-agressive.html

"This was a shootout, right? Is it really being aggressive if you are going for 2 which would have given you a 7 point lead? It's not. It is called simple math. If you miss it, you only need a field goal to beat the Titans if they score a TD. If you make it, you don't have to worry about trailing. Gailey's excuse as to why they didn't go for it had to with the clock. He didn't want to go for it with more than 10-minutes remaining. Huh? Again, you throw away your plans you had going into this game because the situation calls for it. The game has become a shootout. You need points. The Titans are going to score again. It is a situation you have to be aggressive."

Typ0
10-21-2012, 06:23 PM
I saw that too. The guy is an idiot.

Turf
10-21-2012, 06:39 PM
When you're up by 5, and your cant stop anyone, and their d can't stop anyone, you go for the two, so when the other teams scores, you won't be behind. If you don't make the 2, they still need a td to win. Being up 5 or 6 doesn't really make a difference, being up 7 is huge, which is why we lost.
Our head coach doesn't seem to understand something so simple, except to cover his butt because he really had no idea what he was doing.

Typ0
10-21-2012, 08:17 PM
he's a douchbag. He basically said everyone had been marching up and down the field he figured there would be a lot more scoring opportunities. ABSOLUTE UNEQUIVICAL PROOF he is not an NFL minded coach. Touchdowns are like gold I don't care how many times anyone has scored!

IlluminatusUIUC
10-21-2012, 10:26 PM
The fact of the matter is that Gailey trusts Wanny and his defense. That faith has proven to be utterly idiotic, but it's the only thing that can explain decisions like settling for 1 here or punting from the 35 in OT last week.

BertSquirtgum
10-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Gailey is a worse head coach than Dick Jauron. That says a whole lot.

Joebuffalowins
10-22-2012, 09:24 AM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/the-fart-noise-known-as-the-bills-defense.html

"In their last 15 games, the Bills have given up 30 or more points nine times. They have given up almost 2,000 yards in offense over the last four weeks to Tom Brady (no shame in that), Alex Smith (the guy with the small hands), Kevin Kolb (he's worse than Fitz), and Matt Hasselbeck (he still ****en plays?!). They are on pace to allow more yards than last year's squad which was led by Spencer Johnson and Danny Batten on the outside."

SABURZFAN
10-22-2012, 05:03 PM
and the $100 million jerkoff doesn't care......

BillsFever21
10-22-2012, 06:18 PM
I agreed with kicking the extra point after the Jones TD in the 3rd Quarter since there was so much time left but after Johnson's TD in the 4th Quarter it was unacceptable not to go for the 2pt conversion.

The only reason I can see him being scared of trying it was thinking that if they missed it and the Titans got a TD then they're down by 9 instead of 8. Either way in that scenario you still need a 2pt conversion so why not get it out of the way then and see how you need to play the rest of the game? Either that or he thought somehow they would get a couple more FG's and beat us by 1 point if we missed it. The odds of that happening and not going for the 2pt conversion at that point in a TD driven game is just more proof of this guys ineptness as a HC.

I wouldn't care if we fired him and Wanny at the bye week. At the very least Wanny needs to go. He hasn't shown any improvement at all and we're halfway through the season. In all 4 of our losses we've given up 35+ points. Unfortunately neither will be gone at the bye week and I wouldn't be surprised if both of them are also here next year.

Just to step up and show you care Gailey should fire him at the bye week. In a season where the AFC is weak the Bills will blow a perfect opportunity where 9-7 with the right tiebreakers will get you the last WC spot if not both of the WC spots. That was a game that you had to win to stay in the hunt. When we lose the next two games even at 4-5 there would've been a chance to finish 9-7 if they got their crap together. At 3-6 we're definitely out of it.

Even if god gave us a gift and we won either of the next two games had we been 5-4 after that point we would've been in real good shape. A two game winning streak going into the bye week would've done wonders with the team. Even after playing bad on defense and getting blown out a few times they could've said to themselves if the season ended today we would be in the playoffs and we just need to try and turn things around to give us a better chance of winning in the 2nd half of the season.

DynaPaul
10-22-2012, 08:09 PM
Why should he? He got paid ninja!

Generalissimus Gibby
10-22-2012, 08:14 PM
You should apologize to every gas ever passed and every cheese ever cut for defaming them by comparing our defense to them

jamze132
10-23-2012, 05:04 AM
This game perfectly defines Gailey's tenure here.

Score some points, give up more and in the process look like an idiot doing it.

kishoph
10-23-2012, 05:48 AM
You don't go for 2 in the 3rd quarter, with almost 20 minutes left in the game.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-23-2012, 09:55 AM

In a shootout with a historically bad defense?

Joebuffalowins
10-23-2012, 09:58 AM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/statistic-of-the-week-1-87.html

This brings us back to our statistic of the week: 1.87.

Over Buffalo’s seven games this season, the ten running backs they’ve faced who carried the ball more than ten times against them are averaging 1.87 yards more per carry against Buffalo than in their other six games this season. Running backs are averaging 5.83 yards per carry against Buffalo compared to 3.96 in their other six games. The ten running backs who carried the ball more than ten times against Buffalo have accumulated 904 yards against them and 2,366 in their other six games.

RedEyE
10-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Not trying to defend his decision here, but:

I do remember when they first implemented the 2pt conversion in the NFL there was a cheat sheet several coaches carried with them that best determined when to make an attempt. Time was definitely factor on that sheet then.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Not trying to defend his decision here, but:

I do remember when they first implemented the 2pt conversion in the NFL there was a cheat sheet several coaches carried with them that best determined when to make an attempt. Time was definitely factor on that sheet then.

Sure, absolutely. But at some point Gailey has to realize that his defense is a massive sieve and whatever the worst possible outcome of an opponent's possession is the likely result. Couple that with the fact that Tennessee's D is also horrendous and you should be more aggressive in that situation to grab the extra points.

RedEyE
10-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Sure, absolutely. But at some point Gailey has to realize that his defense is a massive sieve and whatever the worst possible outcome of an opponent's possession is the likely result. Couple that with the fact that Tennessee's D is also horrendous and you should be more aggressive in that situation to grab the extra points.

Understood.
In all honesty, I think his not going for the 2 point conversion was less of an issue to running the ball in order to run out the clock.

gebobs
10-23-2012, 10:19 AM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/statistic-of-the-week-1-87.html

This brings us back to our statistic of the week: 1.87.

Over Buffalo’s seven games this season, the ten running backs they’ve faced who carried the ball more than ten times against them are averaging 1.87 yards more per carry against Buffalo than in their other six games this season. Running backs are averaging 5.83 yards per carry against Buffalo compared to 3.96 in their other six games. The ten running backs who carried the ball more than ten times against Buffalo have accumulated 904 yards against them and 2,366 in their other six games.
A 47% increase. Ugh.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Understood.
In all honesty, I think his not going for the 2 point conversion was less of an issue to running the ball in order to run out the clock.

Right, there were a lot of issues there.

imbondz
10-23-2012, 10:49 AM

right. the Steelers went for 2 in the 2nd quarter on Sunday night. they have a good coach tho.

kishoph
10-23-2012, 11:18 AM
right. the Steelers went for 2 in the 2nd quarter on Sunday night. they have a good coach tho.

With that much time on the clock, you're expecting at least 4 more possessions, the majority of coaches are not going to go for two at that time. Pittsburgh did it and was successful, but if they would of failed and the Bengals beat them by two, people would be screaming. Like just about any play, when it works it's great, when it fails the coach is an ass. Also if 2 point conversions are that easy, what would of stopped the Titans from making it 26-25. Besides a 1 point play in the 3rd quarter, should of made no difference, the Bills blew numerous chances to seal that game. Blaming the loss on Gailey's decision not to go for two points is foolish.

Jaybird
10-23-2012, 06:27 PM
without stopping the run we will never have a chance. our LB can't even fill out a college application... we need major change at the position.

Joebuffalowins
10-24-2012, 10:44 AM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/fitztragic.html

"That’s what’s made this whole Fitzpatrick saga hard to handle. We’ve gone through so much gloom and despair over the years that when this bearded brainiac played well enough to get the team to a 5-2 record in his first full year as a starter, most Bills fans couldn’t help but pine over him. Ryan played well, Buffalo won football games. In turn, he was rewarded with endearment from us and greenbacks from management. A camera couldn’t catch the guy without a smile on his face and who could blame him? His confidence was at an all-time high. When you’ve got a team built around you and it’s actually doing well, you can’t help but exude that."

http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/field-goals-bills-at-the-bye.html

Back in late August I was lucky enough to be a guest at the Bills Kickoff event at the stadium. It was then that I saw Williams with a cast halfway up his left forearm. At that point, I stated that if he doesn’t end up with at least one sack per game that he would be roasted by everyone with a Facebook account in addition to those in the media. Well, call me Nostradamus. Williams has been labeled a bust by some after seven games – because that is the intelligent approach – and now could be on the shelf with the surgery.

ServoBillieves
10-24-2012, 12:45 PM
A whole lot of great observations in this thread. Really... really sad.

Joebuffalowins
10-25-2012, 09:11 AM
Please listen to the podcast about stadiums. And read the piece, too

http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/stadium-shenaigans-podcast.html

Joebuffalowins
10-26-2012, 09:15 AM
If you like bashing the media, you will like this.

http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/talkamania-22-mario-vs-the-media.html

Joebuffalowins
10-26-2012, 11:13 AM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/winning-it-for-fred.html

And you want to know what burns my ass more? Some didn't take notice that Jackson was coming back at less than 100%. Did people forget that he was supposed to be out 4-6 weeks after the Jets game? You saw that injury, right? Some of us thought it was a season-ender. 4-6 weeks. Well, Fred told the doctors to eat **** and he came back after missing just two weeks. He didn't just take some magic potion or press the select button non-stop like Little Mac did in Mike Tyson's Punch Out to regain his strength.
He did it through hard work. He gutted it out.
He didn't complain or act like a pussy like Tim Connolly. He put the f#$ken knee brace on and said where the hell is my helmet?! So how do some show their appreciation?

The Toe Show
10-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Thanks, I'm a huge Fred Fan. He deserves more.

..and the Bills need to run the ball more.

You put the ball in your playmaker's hands.

Mr. Miyagi
10-26-2012, 02:31 PM
Yes, and Fitz isn't that playmaker.

BillsFever21
10-26-2012, 04:26 PM
I like Jackson too but Spiller is the better RB right now plus the RB of the future. The dude is balling and averaging over 7 yards a carry. He should be the focal point of the offense for the long-term.

I'm also pretty sure with Spiller lighting things up at the end of last season and especially this season while Jackson was hurt that gave him some incentive to come back earlier then he could've. Last thing a player wants to do is sit on the sidelines with an injury while the other young highly drafted guy is lighting it up and making huge plays every game.

I like Jackson and he should also be used quite a bit in the offense. The bulk of the touches and the focal point needs to be Spiller though. He is the future of the team and a big play RB that can get big chunks of yards at any time he touches the ball and usually does every game. That is what this offense is lacking the most are big plays. They definitely aren't happening in the passing game that often.

This era of the NFL isn't about consistent long drives by small chunks at a time like it used to be. Most of the times them drives will stall. You have to be able to nail of big plays on a consistent basis. Spiller gives us that big yardage threat whenever he touches the ball.

more cowbell
10-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Love Fred Jackson - always will, however CJ Spiller is a better player. Either way BOTH of them should be getting the ball more.

Luisito23
10-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Freddie looked like he was much healthier last week, and yes, I agree that CJ should be the featured back. Too bad Chan is hardheaded and clueless and doesn't use both of them as much as he should.

Joebuffalowins
10-30-2012, 07:16 PM
If you have about five minutes, this will explain a lot about Mario. The best is yet to come, but we will still get the worst next year.

http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/is-mario-williams-a-streaky-player.html

YardRat
10-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Why did you ignore Allen's 2011 season when he had 22 sacks in 16 games, and went sackless only three times?

justasportsfan
10-30-2012, 08:13 PM
Marrio didnt sign a typical contract. He should have been making an impact from the start of the season to the end. The only streak he's made so far, is disappearing from one game to an other.

gr8slayer
10-30-2012, 08:16 PM
To be fair, the entire defense (and team at times) has disappeared at various points in the season.
Marrio didnt sign a typical contract. He should have been making an impact from the start of the season to the end. The only streak he's made so far, is disappearing from one game to an other.

Joebuffalowins
10-30-2012, 11:18 PM
Why did you ignore Allen's 2011 season when he had 22 sacks in 16 games, and went sackless only three times?

Because I tried doing the same years Mario and him played. Mario only played five games. The overall point was as good as Allen was during those 5 years, he had a lot of games he didnt get sacks in. Streaky is the name of the game I think.

Joebuffalowins
10-30-2012, 11:20 PM

I get that. But this could be what we have with Mario. Look at how inconsistent his sack numbers are. I bet he'll be a lot better in the 2nd half. Sure, he's not worth the money. No one is. But I think no one watched him play before to see him play like this. This is who he is and money doesnt matter in regards to a player playing to that level.

justasportsfan
10-31-2012, 06:57 AM
To be fair, the entire defense (and team at times) has disappeared at various points in the season.
I agree, but there are players who who are making a fraction of what Mario is making , making a bigger impact.

justasportsfan
10-31-2012, 06:59 AM
I get that. But this could be what we have with Mario. Look at how inconsistent his sack numbers are. I bet he'll be a lot better in the 2nd half. Sure, he's not worth the money. No one is. But I think no one watched him play before to see him play like this. This is who he is and money doesnt matter in regards to a player playing to that level.

I heard he shows up when he's called out. I hope he does but more importantly I hope he changes his way and shows up every game.

gr8slayer
10-31-2012, 08:00 AM
I still think that it would be wise to take a "wait and see" approach to this. If he truly is injured, then that would go a long to explaining the issue.
I agree, but there are players who who are making a fraction of what Mario is making , making a bigger impact.

OpIv37
10-31-2012, 08:24 AM
And how many games are we going to lose while Mario takes most of the season to get into a groove? We've already lost 4, including 2 division games and 3 conference games. 3 of the losses were blowouts, one was an epic 4th quarter collapse.

Joe Fo Sho
10-31-2012, 08:48 AM
I honestly don't care too much about how many games he gets 1 sack, or streaks that he's on, or when he's usually cold. That's all crap. What I want to see is constant effort, which he clearly doesn't have. I'd rather our defensive line have constant pressure on the QB opposed to getting 3 sacks on 3 plays and then no pressure any other time, which is what is happening right now. Our D-Line was supposed to be among the best this year, turns out it blows.

trapezeus
10-31-2012, 08:48 AM
which was the epic 4th quarter collapse? NE started in the third. last week was a typically 2001-2012 bills football loss.

i have a feeling mario plays really well this week. that's what my gut says, and my gut also says fitz will counteract any of the positives, the bills lose and mario loses interest for rest of season. This is the game where the "we are only 1 game out" crowd says, "ok, season is over."

it was so obvious at the jets game that this season was over. Such a pathetic organization and russ brandon carries most of that blame from me.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-31-2012, 08:49 AM
Since when does signing a contract = high performance? I don't think he's ever going to match what he's making.

The Bills have to over pay to get him here, a fact people just have to accept. For me, I'd NOT sign him to that contract. Ever! And I know in that case, I'd be crucified for not spending the money regardless how Mario does with another team.

justasportsfan
10-31-2012, 08:59 AM
I still think that it would be wise to take a "wait and see" approach to this. If he truly is injured, then that would go a long to explaining the issue.

I agree. I'm not calling this hire a bust already. Just criticizing what he's done or hasn't done so far. We hired him with the thought that he would be better than Shobel. He hasn't even been better than Kelsay

Joebuffalowins
10-31-2012, 11:39 PM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/field-goals-finding-some-good-in-the-bills-season.html

Chan Gailey needs to devote more of his offense to the run. Jackson and Spiller ground up 140 yards on just 20 carries against Tennessee but the run game disappeared when the Bills needed to milk the clock with a tenuous lead. If Gailey can swallow his pride and get the pair closer to 40 touches (30-35 being more realistic), his offense and winning percentage should be the beneficiary.

Out of the box stat: Spiller and Jackson have combined for 1,027 yards in total offense, which accounts for 45% of the Bills offense this year. It would also put them on pace for 2,200 yards.The 1,027 yards in total offense is more than Adrian Peterson, Adrian Foster and Frank Gore have.

kishoph
11-01-2012, 02:30 AM
Between the two backs, they averaged 6.8 yards against the Titans, yet had only 21 carries. Spiller is averaging 7.3 yards a carry this season, but his highest total of carries in a game is 15 (123 yds.). Right now they are both averaging just over 10 carries a game. This just makes no sense to me why between the two of them they are not running the ball 30 plus times a game.

Extremebillsfan247
11-01-2012, 04:51 AM
They are running it more. The Bills running game this year has made up for about 48 percent of the total plays from scrimmage compared to last year at 40 percent, and 43 percent in 2010. The offense is about as balanced as it has been since Gailey took over as Head Coach. How much more should they run it?

kishoph
11-01-2012, 05:42 AM
They are running it more. The Bills running game this year has made up for about 48 percent of the total plays from scrimmage compared to last year at 40 percent, and 43 percent in 2010. The offense is about as balanced as it has been since Gailey took over as Head Coach. How much more should they run it?

That stat is misleading, they are at the bottom of the league for offensive plays ran, also, although they average 28 carries a game, Jackson and Spiller each only average 10 carries per game, in the 4 games that Choice has had carries he averaged close to 8 a game, then you also have Brad Smith getting carries and also Fitz's carries add to it. You have a running back that has averaged over 7 yds. a carry, you have to give him the ball more then 12 times a game, along with Jackson, who looked in top form against the Titans. Adrian Peterson has 151 rushing attempts so far, Spiller has 72.
They rank 23 in TOP, running the ball more will help improve that and also hopefully help cut down on Fitz's 1.4 ints a game. There's plenty of reasons they need to give the ball to Spiller and Jackson more. Spiller is on a pace to have about 200 touches, rushing and receiving, just in comparison, Thurman Thomas (not saying Spiller is Thomas) had 403 touches in a season and that worked out pretty well. When you have such a dynamic player, you need to use him, even if it means taking the ball out of Fitz's hands.

Extremebillsfan247
11-01-2012, 06:03 AM
That stat is misleading, they are at the bottom of the league for offensive plays ran, also, although they average 28 carries a game, Jackson and Spiller each only average 10 carries per game, in the 4 games that Choice has had carries he averaged close to 8 a game, then you also have Brad Smith getting carries and also Fitz's carries add to it. You have a running back that has averaged over 7 yds. a carry, you have to give him the ball more then 12 times a game, along with Jackson, who looked in top form against the Titans. Adrian Peterson has 151 rushing attempts so far, Spiller has 72.
They rank 23 in TOP, running the ball more will help improve that and also hopefully help cut down on Fitz's 1.4 ints a game. There's plenty of reasons they need to give the ball to Spiller and Jackson more. Spiller is on a pace to have about 200 touches, rushing and receiving, just in comparison, Thurman Thomas (not saying Spiller is Thomas) had 403 touches in a season and that worked out pretty well. When you have such a dynamic player, you need to use him, even if it means taking the ball out of Fitz's hands. They rank 11th in the league in rushing attempts per game with 28.4. This team doesn't have a 1 back system, so obviously your not likely to see any 1 running back on this team get 20+ carries a game unless an injury requires it. Adrian Peterson gets more carries because he is a feature back, Spiller is not. JMO

ServoBillieves
11-01-2012, 07:29 AM
Take the ball out of Fitzy's hands and make it so we don't have to keep playing catch up.

This team should be bare bones, gritty football. Run the ball and stop the run. None of this fancy wildcat BS, the five wide set (even though 3 of the 5 receivers are open and Fitzy just stares down one who is covered), and play action if you want to pass.

Don't Panic
11-01-2012, 08:08 AM
I don't expect either back to lead the league in carries, but since we have two quality backs and a wildly inconsistent QB we should be leaning on them for the majority of our offense. I'd think they should be getting 60% of the total touches minimum.

Extremebillsfan247
11-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Take the ball out of Fitzy's hands and make it so we don't have to keep playing catch up.

This team should be bare bones, gritty football. Run the ball and stop the run. None of this fancy wildcat BS, the five wide set (even though 3 of the 5 receivers are open and Fitzy just stares down one who is covered), and play action if you want to pass.
With a defense that gives up 32 points a game on average, how can this team not play catch up? lol

IlluminatusUIUC
11-01-2012, 10:06 AM
With a defense that gives up 32 points a game on average, how can this team not play catch up? lol

Longer drives that aren't being stalled by fitz' bungling would help.

ServoBillieves
11-01-2012, 12:24 PM

When Ryan doesn't throw a pick and immediately put Wann-worthless's defense back on the field.

trapezeus
11-01-2012, 12:43 PM
the bills should get comfortable running the clock and playing in shootouts. gailey thinks his run game is a result of keeping passes going. i disagree. i think if you have both RB's out there one running a screen Lt, the other running screen right with blocking and brad smith as QB, there will be holes of which all three guys are good at exploiting.

the bills offense is so terrible at consistent drives that work the clock that they may have to think outside the box.

and the bills could run so much, so effectively, that they'd open up playaction at the very least and flea flick to a big play where accuracy doesn't matter on the long ball if CB's are biting.

but i'm just a guy at a keyboard.

Joebuffalowins
11-01-2012, 02:05 PM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/know-your-enemy-houston-texans.html

1) If you were the opposing offensive/defensive coordinator, how would you attack the Texans?
Defensively, the Texans display a real weakness in stopping the run in dime situations as teams have exposed them on the ground in those situations. Against the Baltimore Ravens, the Texans adjusted their dime package for the first time the entire season with Bradie James and Brooks Reed in the middle. It will be interesting to see what Wade Phillips is going to do when the Bills spread it out. If the Bills can get the Texans defense into their dime personnel, I would expect Spiller and Jackson to have decent days.

kishoph
11-01-2012, 02:53 PM
They rank 11th in the league in rushing attempts per game with 28.4. This team doesn't have a 1 back system, so obviously your not likely to see any 1 running back on this team get 20+ carries a game unless an injury requires it. Adrian Peterson gets more carries because he is a feature back, Spiller is not. JMO

I didn't say Spiller should get 20+, even though I think he should really close to that, I said between Spiller and Jackson they should be getting around 30, right now they are averaging 10 a piece, take away the 4 carry game Spiller had when he got hurt and he is averaging 11 carries. The Arizona game is the only game where they has 28 carries between the 2 of them, the next highest was 21 against N.E. and Tenn. The Bills may be averaging 28 per game, but between Jackson and Spiller they are averaging 20, give the ball to the playmakers. The Tenn. game was a perfect example where they should of used them more, they both were running hard and could of ate up more clock and also avoided a costly int. near the end of the game.

THRILLHO
11-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Finding some good in the season:

Its half over?

Joebuffalowins
11-02-2012, 10:53 AM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/the-more-money-we-come-across-the-more-problems-we-see.html

"Remember how much we *****ed about hearing about Tebow or T.O. on ESPN? Media and fans alike were displeased with the endless coverage of those guys. It was just too much. Now we are getting that with Mario Williams. He has become Buffalo's version of T.O., but in a smaller fish bowl. It is becoming tabloid journalism or something straight out of US Weekly. The dissection of his every word is just ridiculous and we aren't even halfway through the season. Again, I don't mind the criticism about his play, but too much of the criticism is about what he's doing/saying off the field instead of playing on it."

Historian
11-02-2012, 12:10 PM
"That's the power of television!" Sinbad, Necessary Roughness.

BertSquirtgum
11-02-2012, 12:22 PM
TO isn't rich.

Johnny Bugmenot
11-02-2012, 01:17 PM
TO isn't rich. His baby mamas are, though.

alnilla
11-02-2012, 02:16 PM
His baby mamas are, though.

They would be if he paid child support.

trapezeus
11-02-2012, 03:49 PM
in buffalo, if you don't like the media response to you, you don't buy that one paper. you don't hear about it. in nyc, there are 4 local sports tv networks. think of that. 4 empire sports if you will. there are multiple papers. and each tries to be louder and more in the know than the other. so it's vicious here. mark sanchez lost his job the second they signed tebow.

in buffalo we are still trying to convince the know-nothings that they have the wrong guy for the job.

ckg927
11-04-2012, 11:43 AM
TO isn't rich.

And TWO got schooled...by a short guy...IN BASKETBALL.

Joebuffalowins
11-04-2012, 06:37 PM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/bills-texans-recap-21-9.html

Wanna know something groundbreaking today that no one will probably pick up on? 18 months ago, the Texans were exactly where the Bills are today. They were a team that had gone 8 years without making the playoffs. For a good 5-6 year stretch, they seemed to constantly finish at 7-9 just like we have. Did they have to bottom out to become a playoff team like some always say the Bills should do? Nope.

http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/lack-of-running-game-is-gailey-s-doing.html

This isn't an isolated incident, kids. In Gailey's 38 games as head coach here, the Bills have passed the ball more in 30 of those games. During those games, the Bills averaged 12 more passes than runs. Guess what their record is when they run the ball more than pass it? 6-2. When the opposite happens, they are 7-25.

BertSquirtgum
11-04-2012, 06:45 PM
I hate Chan Gailey. I wish the Bills were smart enough to fire him at the end of last season.

Skooby
11-04-2012, 06:52 PM
I hate Chan Gailey. I wish the Bills were smart enough to fire him at the end of last season.

A competant complete statement, you've been drinking & getting grammatical help from one of your 8 kids obviously.

DynaPaul
11-04-2012, 07:30 PM
The Texans were an expansion team. Of course they had a long playoff drought. We're comparing a new team starting from the ground to one with a storied franchise that has been to the Super Bowl 4 times.

BillsFever21
11-04-2012, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't even wait till the end of the season. Fire him, Wanny and Nix if we lose next week and make a statement that nobody's job is safe and everyone is being evaluated for the rest of the season.

Joebuffalowins
11-07-2012, 09:24 AM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/4-reasons-why-the-bills-shouldn-t-fire-gailey.html

this is a contrarian piece. A piece the Bills PR people will remember verbatim when they trot out Chan Gailey in January after finishing 6-10 and declaring his job is safe. I assure you, if the Bills finish 6-10, Gailey should be given his walking papers. I pretty much rolled my eyes last week when Buddy said he wasn't going to fire Gailey. I started to then gouge my eyes out when he spoke about how a new coach would want his own players, which would mean we'd take 10 steps back.

Skooby
11-07-2012, 09:38 AM
New Owner = New Coach.

RedEyE
11-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Excellent article.

BertSquirtgum
11-07-2012, 07:31 PM
I disagree on every reason except for Ralph being old.

SpillerThrills
11-07-2012, 07:48 PM
remember that a new coach is going to want his own players, because with exception of a handful of starters on this team no coach would want 80% or so of our roster.

Joebuffalowins
11-08-2012, 10:53 AM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/field-goals-midseason-awards.html

Lack of Adjustment – Abandonment of the run on a weekly basis: Chan Gailey’s lack of interest in the run game has varied each week. However, as the season has progressed, it almost seems as if he isn’t willing to ignore his favorite pet, the passing game. Despite having a dynamic running attack, it has been the passing game that has been the undoing of the Bills this season.

Out of the Box Stat: The Bills have run the 28th least amount of plays (483) in the NFL. However, they have run the ball 44% of the time which is the 11th best percentage in the league.

Fixxxer
11-09-2012, 07:53 AM
I don't understand the Houston Texans point. Aren't you comparing the Bills favorably to the Houston Texans situation? With how you worded that parragraph I get that you are endorsing Chan's work on offense and that he only needs a competent playcaller on defense.

we are
11-09-2012, 08:13 AM
remember that a new coach is going to want his own players, because with exception of a handful of starters on this team no coach would want 80% or so of our roster.

Yeah....I strongly disagree with this.

EDS
11-09-2012, 08:44 AM
The only reason Chan has job security is that Ralph and Buddy are asleep at the wheel.

Extremebillsfan247
11-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Okay, the whole Wannstedt scape goat thing is an over-exaggeration. The problem with the Bills defense is not the defensive coordinator. We have the wrong player personnel to run a Wannstedt defense properly. Since Gailey took over as head coach, this team has struggled to figure out what type of defense it wants to run. So the player personnel has become a reflection of that. That's why it's a mess. Gailey's head coaching focus on offense only strategy is why this team is failing. JMO

BertSquirtgum
11-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Okay, the whole Wannstedt scape goat thing is an over-exaggeration. The problem with the Bills defense is not the defensive coordinator. We have the wrong player personnel to run a Wannstedt defense properly. Since Gailey took over as head coach, this team has struggled to figure out what type of defense it wants to run. So the player personnel has become a reflection of that. That's why it's a mess. Gailey's head coaching focus on offense only strategy is why this team is failing. JMO

No

gebobs
11-09-2012, 10:26 AM
I'm still reminded of this quote from Vic Carucci about the coaching search of 2009:

"This is his (Wilson's) last coach and (he) is going to do everything it takes to get it right," the insider told Carucci.
He got it so wrong that he's going to outlive his choice.

gebobs
11-09-2012, 10:30 AM
I don't understand the Houston Texans point. Aren't you comparing the Bills favorably to the Houston Texans situation? With how you worded that parragraph I get that you are endorsing Chan's work on offense and that he only needs a competent playcaller on defense.
What he's saying is that these are the reasons he hears for keeping Gailey, not that he agrees with them.

I disagree on every reason except for Ralph being old.

Good. They're all awful reasons and that's the point of the article.

Albany,n.y.
11-09-2012, 10:56 AM
5 reasons to fire Chan at the end of the season: The 5 wins the 2012 Buffalo Bills totaled vs the 11 losses.

Joebuffalowins
11-09-2012, 10:58 AM

These are just excuses as to why they wont fire him. They can use the Texans as a way of saying "See what happens when you are patient and you dont fire coaches?"

Joebuffalowins
11-09-2012, 11:00 AM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/week-10-staff-predictions-bills-pats.html

Joe: 52-21, Pats: The 2nd time around against the Pats normally means a blow out. The Bills have lost by an average of 22 points when they meet the Pats the 2nd time. The secondary -which has been a disaster- is now battling injuries. Leodis McKelvin as your 2nd corner? Shoot me. In their last 3 meetings, the Pats have had a WR or a RB go over 100 yards eight times.

Night Train
11-09-2012, 11:16 AM
21 points is pretty generous.

Night Train
11-09-2012, 08:21 PM
When the team is something like 4-18 within the division during Gaileys tenure, saying "Stay the course" sinks like a stone.

Joebuffalowins
11-10-2012, 12:08 PM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/david-vs-goliath.html

Indeed, I couldn't escape the feeling that the Patriots seem to let the Bills hang around in the first game of the season (and sometimes, the Bills may even win! Gasp!), but in the second matchup the gloves are off and we're gonna get stomped.

Joebuffalowins
11-11-2012, 06:13 PM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/bills-pats-recap-37-31.html
"I had given up on this stupid team going into this game and was expecting a blowout. Yet, they gave a valiant effort. To channel Whitney Houston, I really wanted to believe for one stupid moment in time that they were going to score on the last drive. I actually had the audacity to believe in them. Silly me.

The Pats are just better. Great teams like them always find ways to win while losing teams like the Bills find ways to lose (See: Penalties, throwing too much, turnovers, dropping interceptions and defense sucks). It is as simple as that. I just wish it was simple for me to get over losses like these. You'd think after so many heart-breakers, it would be."

Joebuffalowins
11-13-2012, 02:01 PM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-sabres/articles/ranking-the-worst-coordinators-in-bills-history.html

Did I get the rankings right?

Syderick
11-14-2012, 08:42 AM
Except the Bills won't replace him with any decent coach, except other retreads or bad coordinators.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-14-2012, 09:11 AM

When you drop eleventy billion dollars and multiple Top 10 picks on your defense then you build your scheme around them. That's the difference between good coaches and bad coaches. Good coaches recognize what their players can do and adapt to them. Bad ones try to force square pegs through round holes and complain they don't have the right talent when it fails.

gebobs
11-14-2012, 09:12 AM
When the team is something like 4-18 within the division during Gaileys tenure, saying "Stay the course" sinks like a stone.
You give Chump Gailey too much credit. His divisional record is 2-13 with one win over New England last year and one win over Miami the previous season. He's 0-5 against the Jets.

Albany,n.y.
11-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Except the Bills won't replace him with any decent coach, except other retreads or bad coordinators.

You never know what you're getting unless the guy is a proven winner like when Bill Parcells & our own Chuck Knox would jump from team to team, never getting fired but leaving for greener pastures. With a retread you can luck out & get a Marv Levy or you can get Romeo Crennel who looks like he's 1 & done in KC. With an assistant, you can get a Mike Sherman or you can get a Jim Ringo, Kay Stephenson or Hank Bullough.
If the coach has had 3 years & wins 33% of his games, you have to take a shot that you can get the next Levy or Sherman because if you keep the status quo and keep winning 33% of your games, it's not significantly better than what a Crennel or Bullough would get you-and if you end up with a Crennel or Bullough, at least he'll get you a high enough pick to help turn the team around when you fire him. Gailey doesn't win enough to be a credible head coach, but he wins just enough to be both bad & screw up your draft.

Mski
11-14-2012, 03:35 PM
fun piece to read... although im not sure i'd put the 'stache @ number 1

Jeff1220
11-14-2012, 04:55 PM
There are so many bad coordinators in Bills history that you would need to make this a top 25.

YardRat
11-14-2012, 05:38 PM
I honestly don't know who the coordinators were in '71, but both deserve to be on the list.

casdhf
11-14-2012, 06:38 PM
This list is missing a lot of junk from pre-2000.

Joebuffalowins
11-15-2012, 09:47 AM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/week-11-staff-predictions-miami-dolphins.html

Staff predictions
Aaron Garland: 28-24, Bills- Chan Gailey is 2-13 against AFC East opponents as Bills head coach, but he gets that all-important third win. Spiller 8 carries, Tashard Choice 20.

http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/week-11-know-your-enemy-miami-dolphins.html

3) What makes Cameron Wake such a dominate pass rusher? How can the Bills stop him?
He is the complete package: strong and able to have a speed rush off the edge. Wake not only has the big sack numbers but can draw a ton of holding calls against offensive tackles. I would double Wake, but you would then have to be careful because the two interior linemen are solid players as well. However, the Dolphins haven't been able to get a pass rush on the other side of Wake and teams are veering away from him to exploit the other side

http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/field-goals-playoff-picture-and-miami-week.html

Hot Read: Tannehill’s TD/INT ratio is 2:9 in Miami’s five losses this season. He has also attempted at least 35 passes in all five losses this season. He doesn’t have any more that 30 attempts in any victory and his TD/INT ratio is 3:0 in those games.

TigerJ
11-15-2012, 01:03 PM
Interestingly, some of those guys have been outstanding as coordinators for other teams. The Giants have a Super Bowl win with to former Bills coordinators as their offensive and defensive strategists. I know Perry Fewell wasn't on your list, but fans loved to hate him while he was here too.

Joebuffalowins
11-16-2012, 12:44 AM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-sabres/articles/bills-dolphins-recap-19-14.html

The only way the Bills are going to turn this year around is if the defense plays like this.

In their four wins: 17 sacks. In their six losses: 6 sacks.
In their four wins: 23 PPG. In their 6 losses: 22 PPG.

You see what the difference is?

Oaf
11-16-2012, 12:48 AM
In their four wins: 23 PPG. In their 6 losses: 22 PPG.

You see what the difference is?

Barely? :scratch:

Joebuffalowins
11-19-2012, 09:46 AM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/comparing-2004-to-2012.html

"Heading into this weekend's games, the Bills' remaining opponents are 24-35-1. After 10 games in 2004, the Bills' remaining opponents were 24-36. The Steelers were 9-1 at that point and we played their backups, but take them out and the best team remaining on the Bills' schedule at that time was Seattle (6-4). Ironic, huh? The Bills had the likes of AJ Feeley, Luke McCown and Tim Rattay remaining on their schedule. The Bills of today may not have as bad of a cast of QBs remaining, but they all seem to be inexperienced. None of the remaining QBs are ranked higher than 12th and 4 of the 6 remaining are rated between 26th-30th. Alright, maybe they are kind of bad. Throw in that the Bills still have four home games remaining. After next week, they only go on the road one more time the rest of the season."

Jaybird
11-20-2012, 11:03 AM
our poor division record won't help anything

Joebuffalowins
11-20-2012, 11:27 AM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/know-your-enemy-indianapolis-colts.html

3) I've noticed you guys are 4th in total yards but 21st in scoring, why is that?
Red zone offense, plain and simple. The Colts can move the ball against any defense; they have an amazing amount of speed on the outside with Donnie Avery (who may miss Sunday with a concussion), and rookies TY Hilton and LaVon Brazill. Underneath, WR Reggie Wayne has abused every CB he's faced this year, and rookie TEs Fleener and Allen (especially Allen) have been good at getting open underneath and using their size and athleticism to create mismatches.

http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/statistic-of-the-week-1.html

It’s no secret that Buffalo’s biggest Achilles heel this season has been the run defense. They’ve allowed over 100 yards rushing in all but two games this season, including allowing over 150 yards and 6.0+ YPC in half of their games. The number one stands for the number of games in which Buffalo has allowed 4.0 YPC or less in their last 13 games in Buffalo *prior to Thursday night’s game.*

IAG
11-20-2012, 11:40 AM
I think the Buffalo D is starting to figure things out. I think they have a big Sunday afternoon.

justasportsfan
11-20-2012, 12:29 PM
On longer pass plays, I would pressure the Colts safeties, Antoine Bethea and Tom Zbikowski with vertical plays towards the middle of the field, and then take advantage of the isolated match-up of WR Stevie Johnson vs whoever.

I think he wants us to lose. Vertical and Fitz are a bad combo unless by vertical he meant 10-20 yards.

stuckincincy
11-20-2012, 12:58 PM
I've only (partially) watched one IND game, but Luck did a good job of stepping up into a protected pocket time to time. Wanny blasphemy I suppose, but I'd send in a corner blitz.

I'd have a body lay on top of their center Satele at the snap, and push RG McGlynn out. McGlynn was a good fill-in last season at CIN, but money offered to him by others as well as CIN's second #1, Zeitler, saw him leaving.

McGlynn impressed me as smart and scrappy. I'd push him out before he sets the pocket.

IAG
11-20-2012, 06:25 PM
That run in 2004 was awesome. The lost to Pittsburgh the last game of the year versus backups still kills me to this day. The 2004 run had unbelievable special teams thanks to Coach Bobby April, a tough D and a steady Drew Bledsoe under center. The playmakers got some good production from Moulds, Evans and McGahee.

The 2004 team was much better than today's. However, there is one big difference...the AFC stinks in 2012. The 2004 team would easily be in the playoffs if they were in the current day AFC. Because the AFC stinks and the Bills are starting to figure things out, I still think they can get in. It is all about being the Colts this week.

Crisis
11-20-2012, 07:30 PM
No one else is bothered that this team's rallying call was a team who choked away the postseason to Pitt's third stringers? I still have flashbacks of that scrub quarterback St. Pierre or something running a bootleg on 4th and 1 and getting it. That game was also Willie Parker's coming out party for Pitts too if I remember right.

Don't Panic
11-20-2012, 07:45 PM
That game was also Willie Parker's coming out party for Pitts too if I remember right.

It was. He was about the best "3rd stringer" I ever saw. We should have won that game, but its not like we played a D3 team...

As for today, I can't buy in yet that we have a shot at running the table (or even going one loss), and I am about as optimistic as it comes when it comes to these things. Maybe that's a good thing... maybe it'll take disbelief to get it done. Then again, maybe we lose to the Colts and this whole board turns to a 2013 draft scouting zone ASAP.

IAG
11-20-2012, 07:52 PM
No one else is bothered that this team's rallying call was a team who choked away the postseason to Pitt's third stringers? I still have flashbacks of that scrub quarterback St. Pierre or something running a bootleg on 4th and 1 and getting it. That game was also Willie Parker's coming out party for Pitts too if I remember right.

You are correct.

IAG
11-20-2012, 07:56 PM
What has also bothered me about that game was the spot Donahoe was put in by Mr. Wilson. He gave up the cash to bring back one of Schobel, Williams and Jennings. Schobel was a great re-sign, but losing Williams tore the heart of the run D. Jennings ended up being a bust for the Niners, but it also hurt the continuity upfront. Bledsoe was canned and Losman granted the keys.

While I was and am still a TD guy, I hated the Losman pick for a multitude of reasons. The end of the 04 season I think was really the Doldrum Stage for this team.

However, NOW, I think we can change things starting this week.

The Jokeman
11-20-2012, 08:27 PM
The 2004 D gave up 284 points, the 2012 D has given up 299 points in 10 games played. Easily a better group of talent in 2004. That said I won't dismiss us this year because of a favorable schedule although the Tennessee loss is a BIG loss in the grand scheme of things. As not only was it a loss but a Conference loss which when tiebreakers matter most hurts us the most. Yet this week's game against the Colts is a "must win" as a loss this weekend easily kills any real chance at the playoffs. Yet I have a sneaking suspecion that in the end the teams representing the AFC at season's end will be the Patriots, Ravens, Texans, Broncos, Colts and Chargers if were to predict things now with the Bengals just missing out and the Bills then making the 8th team in the Conference with an 8-8 record.

cookie G
11-21-2012, 10:03 AM
The 2004 D gave up 284 points, the 2012 D has given up 299 points in 10 games played. Easily a better group of talent in 2004.

That's pretty much the difference. The 04 group was the 2nd best D in the league, meltdown to Pittsburgh notwithstanding.

Of course, the "big name" free agents brought in during 03 (Spikes, Adams), actually produced.

imbondz
11-21-2012, 01:17 PM

nope, I laughed when I heard they brought up 2004's team for a rally call. let's see if we can win 6 straight and still not make the playoffs

Joebuffalowins
11-27-2012, 04:59 PM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/the-all-time-battle-of-the-toilet-bowls.html

We are a boring ass football team and we are about to embark onto the part of the schedule with equally boring ass teams for us to play against. It is great to play crappy teams when you are trying to make the playoffs. It is the exact opposite to watch crappy football with nothing at stake besides um... pride or losing a high draft pick. That's pretty much what we have for the next month or so.

Here are your top 5 toilet bowl games I've watched as a Bills fan:

Buffalogic
11-27-2012, 06:58 PM
fail

Joebuffalowins
11-28-2012, 10:41 PM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-sabres/articles/how-we-got-here.html

The annual failure that is the Buffalo Bills has passed well beyond the state of aggravation. It’s just dumb now. In a league where week in and week out, many teams do plenty of stupid things in attempts to lose games, the Bills have persevered to out-stupid most of the AFC, 13 years and counting.Look, we could look forward and discuss the upcoming exciting matchup this Sunday with the Jag-ee-wahrs. Really, we could. But seeing as how I doubt ESPNCBSFOXNBC, or the NFL Network itself will spend even :30 COMBINED on this all-timer Sunday morning, why am I gonna do the heavy lifting for them? Nah, instead let’s treat ourselves to yet another autopsy on the Bills as their season approaches entering rigor mortis before the calendar turns to December.

Joebuffalowins
11-29-2012, 10:23 AM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/ego.html
"You can win the World Series without Babe Ruth.''
On a few occasions, Chan Gailey would tell his coaches (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/01/19/mailbag/index.html)this before the Bills hired him. Now, you could view it as being a way to say we can get a team full of good players and win without a star player. It is a team game, right? Standard coach speaking. However, after about two and half seasons worth of signs from Chan, I view it a lot more differently.
I view it as a way to say...
"My coaching mind will make any player I come across better than they are. So, who needs Babe Ruth when I can make you into Babe Ruth?"

GingerP
11-29-2012, 10:42 AM
I read that article you linked. These in particular struck me:

Gailey went 10-6 in his first year, including a club-record 8-0 mark against the then-five-team NFC East, before losing in the wild-card game to Arizona.

His division record was good at one time?

A couple of coaches who didn't want to become a candidate for the job made no bones about the obstacles: They worry about the hire of a 70-year-old GM everyone thought was on the back nine of his career, Buddy Nix. They worry about owner Ralph Wilson's meddling. They worry about where the franchise might be in two years. They worry about luring free-agents to Buffalo. In short, it's a tough sell to attractive candidates. If Jim Harbaugh's going to have one good shot at an NFL job, why would he leave a place he loves, Stanford, for such an iffy venture in western New York?

Hard to say this has changed at all.

I can guarantee you one of the things that the Bills loved was Gailey's attitude about how you can win without stars in the NFL. In fact, that's the kind of team he prefers. More than once in his career, he's told coaches he worked with: "You can win the World Series without Babe Ruth.'' In Buffalo, he's going to get that chance.

"In fact, that's the kind of team he prefers." - That explains Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Bill Cody
11-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Good point you can win the World Series without Babe Ruth. Course Ruth is dead.

trapezeus
11-29-2012, 12:32 PM
not when the 9 people to bat all strike out

ThunderGun
11-29-2012, 12:37 PM
(yawn)

BillsFever21
11-29-2012, 05:12 PM
I read that article you linked. These in particular struck me:

His division record was good at one time?

Hard to say this has changed at all.

"In fact, that's the kind of team he prefers." - That explains Ryan Fitzpatrick.

That's because the division stunk then. Then the following year they won the division with an 8-8 record. Outside of the bad division they were only 2-6 in that season.

Gailey is a bum and needs to go. This is a 60 year old coach and not a young guy adapting to his position. If he hasn't shown he can do it by now then he never will. Same goes for Buddy Nix.

BertSquirtgum
11-29-2012, 08:06 PM
Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey are destroying this team.

ServoBillieves
11-29-2012, 09:04 PM
We have a bad team? Didn't realize it. Thanks for the info.

mjt328
11-29-2012, 09:52 PM
"You can win without Babe Ruth."

Maybe that's Chan's problem. He doesn't realize he's coaching football.

In all seriousness, though... an NFL team can't really expect to win the Super Bowl without a competent quarterback.
In almost 50 years since Super Bowl I, only a handful of teams have won it all without a top level guy under center. And in most cases, those teams had one of the best defensive units of ALL TIME.

It's hard to draft a franchise quarterback.
But it's probably harder to assemble a defense like the 1984 Bears or 2000 Ravens.

DynaPaul
11-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Yeah sure, you can win without a major superstar but what you need to do to offset that is a group of highly motivated players who give their all on every single play. We don't have that. We have guys who just saunter to the bench after making blunders and nonchalantly make statements like "You can't win 'em all" after losses.

better days
11-30-2012, 09:44 AM
"You can win without Babe Ruth."

Maybe that's Chan's problem. He doesn't realize he's coaching football.

In all seriousness, though... an NFL team can't really expect to win the Super Bowl without a competent quarterback.
In almost 50 years since Super Bowl I, only a handful of teams have won it all without a top level guy under center. And in most cases, those teams had one of the best defensive units of ALL TIME.

It's hard to draft a franchise quarterback.
But it's probably harder to assemble a defense like the 1984 Bears or 2000 Ravens.

Or the 2002 Buccaneers.

Mr. Pink
11-30-2012, 09:54 AM
Lost in the 85 Bears Defense is the fact that their offense was pretty good too. Pretty good is an understatement. They were 2nd in scoring in 1985 with a team that had over 3000 yards passing and 2000 yards rushing.

kishoph
11-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Gailey gets worse by the day, in the Buffalo News, they wrote about the futility in the red zone, they rank 25th right now, in the last four weeks they have scored on just 29% of their red zone possessions (5 of 17), yet Gailey makes it sound like it's the fault of the running game, “We’ve got to avoid the negative plays,” Bills coach Chan Gailey said. “We get down there and we get a negative play. We get a negative run. We get a missed assignment on a run.” When in fact the Bills have the leagues best yards per carry average in the red zone (3.59), but rank 28th in attempts, 2.6 a game. Is Gailey that stupid or is it he thinks we're that stupid, the problem with the offense is the same in the red zone as it is on the rest of the field, Fitzpatrick. Gailey seems to have no problem throwing the running game under the bus, but he'll never utter a negative word about his prized QB. The two of them are what's destroying this team.

colin
11-30-2012, 12:28 PM
good write up. chan't is the worst

Joebuffalowins
11-30-2012, 10:25 PM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/know-your-enemy-jacksonville-jaguars.html

http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/know-your-enemy-jacksonville-jaguars.html

Joebuffalowins
12-02-2012, 11:02 AM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/the-buffalo-bills-piss-me-off.html

"This week alone has provided some of the most ridiculous quotes to make you want to shotgun a beer at 9am from the movers and shakers at One Bills Drive. Gailey proclaiming that the team is continually getting better, that they can and will win with Fitzpatrick, and that a future quarterback shouldn’t be thought of as anywhere in the near future. Russ Brandon saying that he’s not sure why the team has had troubles selling out late season games over recent years… you know what, let’s skip Ralph’s halfwit wife telling the media that he’s well (**** you, really?) and that all this franchise needs is a little luck and get RIGHT TO THESE HOT TAKES."

Joebuffalowins
12-02-2012, 11:07 AM
"I don't think Mike Mularkey is all that bad. Actually, let me rephrase that before you drug test me. I miss the 2004 season. And the guy I think of during that season was Mularkey. I then start telling myself maybe he wasn't that bad. Maybe he could have done something in 2005 if Ralph Wilson wasn't the owner. Maybe Tom Donahoe was just the worst GM in the history of the world and Mike was doomed because of it. Maybe if they kept Pat Williams and Drew Bledsoe, things would have been different.

At this point, I want to shoot myself because I'm embellishing how nice it was because we have been through worse and 2004 is the best year we can talk about. All of the above sucks! It is a trick."

http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/hating-mike-mularkey.html

djjimkelly
12-02-2012, 11:11 AM
i met mike mularky a few months after he quit in aruba.

he talked bills football with my girlfriend at the time and me for half an hour with one of his college buddys.

long story short mike mularky is a real nice guy in my books. and i dont think he liked ralphs meddling and knew marv was gonna be a train wreck thats why he left

Lone Stranger
12-02-2012, 11:23 AM
The comment by Brandon is most amusing. The guy must really be an idiot; therefore, the reason why the Bills are where they are.

Extremebillsfan247
12-02-2012, 11:24 AM
I don't hate Mularkey, and definitely don't hold anything against him for walking out on this team the way he did. But, I know the reason behind it. Some fans don't. Would I want him back? no, but no grudges here. JMO

Generalissimus Gibby
12-02-2012, 11:26 AM
I don't hate Mularkey, I hate whoever had the bright idea of letting Fat Pat go for being too old at 29.

SpikedLemonade
12-02-2012, 11:31 AM
....Ralph’s halfwit wife telling the media that he’s well (**** you, really?)...

I thought my day could not get worse.

IAG
12-02-2012, 02:49 PM
I don't hate Mularkey, I hate whoever had the bright idea of letting Fat Pat go for being too old at 29.

Ralph Wilson did. Thank him.

Slim
12-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Ralph Wilson did. Thank him.

Not true. Pat was not happy in Buffalo. He did not like Drew Bledsoe, and during his final year here, he hated the front office. He was a cancer in the locker room during his final year. I remember him *****ing after a win against the Rams, and even making fun of Drew Bledoe's kids after that particular win.

Mr. Pink
12-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Why hate Mularkey?

He's the best HC we've had since Wade left.