PDA

View Full Version : Mario Williams begged another team to offer him less than the Bills did

kingJofNYC
10-31-2012, 05:21 PM
According to Lance Zierlein

Lance Zierlein ‏<s style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); ">@</s>LanceZierlein
(https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein)True story... I was speaking with an NFL exec about pass rushers & he told me that Mario Williams "begged us" to make an offer to him....

Lance Zierlein ‏<s style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); ">@</s>LanceZierlein
(https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein)Offer he was looking for was AFTER being given an offer from the Bills. According to this exec, he was willing to take less from this team

LOL

IlluminatusUIUC
10-31-2012, 05:24 PM
That has the pungeant odor of BS. If Mario wanted to solicit other offers, he had every opportunity to. Nix wasn't holding him at gunpoint at OBD (that we know of).

kingJofNYC
10-31-2012, 05:29 PM
I'm not sure it's far fetched. It just states that Mario took the most amount of money offered, Buffalo was not his desired destination but they threw buckets of money his way. Not that crazy. Wanted to maximize the amount of money he received, that's the bottom line.

Edit: It's not like he signed right away, took a few days to do so. While Nix didn't have him held at gunpoint he may have locked him in a closet. LOL

BertSquirtgum
10-31-2012, 05:30 PM
Please move to the spam zone. This bull**** is worse than one of Skooby's threads.

kingJofNYC
10-31-2012, 05:31 PM
Zierlein is incredibly connected. His father coached in the NFL, for this very team actually, and he's well respected around the league.

But ignore all that, and yell bull****! It's easier to deal with.

Edit: ATHLETE VALUES MONEY OVER EVERYTHING ELSE. I'M SHOCKED.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-31-2012, 05:37 PM
I'm not sure it's far fetched. It just states that Mario took the most amount of money offered, Buffalo was not his desired destination but they threw buckets of money his way. Not that crazy. Wanted to maximize the amount of money he received, that's the bottom line.

Edit: It's not like he signed right away, took a few days to do so. While Nix didn't have him held at gunpoint he may have locked him in a closet. LOL

That's the opposite of what it suggests. What it suggests is that Mario desperately wanted to go anywhere but Buffalo even after we buried him in money, but no one else in the league even tried to lowball him despite his begging. That's why it sounds like BS. If Mario really was willing to take less money to play anywhere but here, he could have easily walked away from Buffalo and continued visiting clubs. It's ridiculous to suggest that Buffalo was the only team that wanted him, even if he was openly offering to reduce his salary.

kingJofNYC
10-31-2012, 05:41 PM
That's the opposite of what it suggests. What it suggests is that Mario desperately wanted to go anywhere but Buffalo even after we buried him in money, but no one else in the league even tried to lowball him despite his begging. That's why it sounds like BS. If Mario really was willing to take less money to play anywhere but here, he could have easily walked away from Buffalo and continued visiting clubs. It's ridiculous to suggest that Buffalo was the only team that wanted him, even if he was openly offering to reduce his salary.

He couldn't go to said team, because said team didn't want to offer even the lower amount. Lance Z updated.

<s style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(102, 181, 210); ">@</s>ChrisTrapasso (https://twitter.com/ChrisTrapasso) They wouldn't offer less. Too cash strapped relative to what Mario wanted

Didn't have enough $ for Mario's demands, even if they were lower.

I just don't want to hear how he loved it here and all that other garbage he spewed. He signed for the $. Don't blame him really. I just thought it was funny as hell.

Edit: Also shows that we have to grossly overpay to get guys in FA, and that probably won't change until they actually put together a winning team.

Another nugget. Someone asked Lance if that was why his effort was poor, playing for money. His response;

(https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein)<s style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(102, 181, 210); ">@</s>ChrisTrapasso (https://twitter.com/ChrisTrapasso) Not at all. I just think he's a follower and not a leader. He likes to be part of a good unit but doesn't like being the guy

Turf
10-31-2012, 06:50 PM
If I were an NFL player at this moment, I'm not sure if I would want to play for this kindergarten crew.

Bangarang
10-31-2012, 06:57 PM
So Mario signed a contract the first few days free agency started because he wanted to test the waters? Doesn't really make any sense.

better days
10-31-2012, 07:27 PM

It was reported that the Titans really wanted Mario & that was brought up again just before the Bills Titans game.

feldspar
10-31-2012, 07:49 PM
Usually, I just believe everything I read on the Internet.

BertSquirtgum
10-31-2012, 08:34 PM
Zierlein is incredibly connected. His father coached in the NFL, for this very team actually, and he's well respected around the league.

But ignore all that, and yell bull****! It's easier to deal with.

Edit: ATHLETE VALUES MONEY OVER EVERYTHING ELSE. I'M SHOCKED.

I looked like him up before my first post. He is a nobody from Houston.

Don't Panic
10-31-2012, 08:59 PM
Too convenient considering the air of discontent about Mario right now. I think he would have kept looking if he didn't want to be here. What the hell is the difference between $90 million and $100 million if you don't want to be somewhere? Lance is probably being honest... its the exec who is full of it.

Luisito23
10-31-2012, 09:38 PM
I don't know what's worst, Mario's incompetence, or the many pointless threads about him.

gebobs
10-31-2012, 10:16 PM

What it underscores is that Nix overpaid.

BertSquirtgum
10-31-2012, 11:17 PM
It underscores nothing because it's false.

Ed
11-01-2012, 01:03 AM
It was reported that the Titans really wanted Mario & that was brought up again just before the Bills Titans game.
If Peyton Manning hadn't hit free agency Mario Williams would probably be a Titan. Because Manning took as long as he did to decide where he wanted to play, it took Tennessee out of the running for Mario.

Why would Buffalo be Mario Williams first choice? The main reason he's here is because the Bills overpaid. Buffalo would have never been his first choice if all thing were equal. I don't blame Nix for making the move because he was the premier free agent at our biggest position of need, but our only chance of landing him was overpaying and that's what the Bills had to do.

I really hope the wrist surgery makes a difference and Mario ends up being that difference maker we were all hoping for, but it would be completely naive to believe that Mario Williams had the Buffalo Bills at the top of his list when it became a reality that the Texans couldn't re-sign him.

kingJofNYC
11-01-2012, 04:21 AM
It underscores nothing because it's false.

Cry more.

mrbojanglezs
11-01-2012, 07:06 AM
If its tweeted it must be true

RedEyE
11-01-2012, 07:29 AM
C'mon. If Mario didn't want to come to Buffalo he surely didn't have to.

Skooby
11-01-2012, 07:49 AM
This thread is making Hurkey look half way intelligent & reasonable, which means it's wrong.

SabreEleven
11-01-2012, 07:59 AM
He does do multiple impressions so he must know what he is talking about.

Lance is known for his multiple personalities and ADD that create the various characters present in the 790 AM shows. Namely:

SEC (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/Southeastern_Conference) Guy, Dr. Karol Kenton Kogslotter
Communist News Network Spokesperson
Tony "The Hatchet Man" Valentine
Bernie "The Wolf" Wolfson

Lance also performs impressions of sports personalities. Examples include:

"Uncle" Drayton McLane (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/Drayton_McLane,_Jr.)
Mack Brown (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/Mack_Brown) and his unwavering media message
John Rocker (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/John_Rocker)
Charles Barkley (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/Charles_Barkley)
Lou Holtz (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/Lou_Holtz)
Oscar De La Hoya (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/Oscar_De_La_Hoya)
José Lima (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Lima)
Wade Phillips (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/Wade_Phillips)
Stephen A. Smith (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/Stephen_A._Smith)
Jon Gruden (http://www.billszone.com/wiki/Jon_Gruden)

better days
11-01-2012, 08:03 AM
If Peyton Manning hadn't hit free agency Mario Williams would probably be a Titan. Because Manning took as long as he did to decide where he wanted to play, it took Tennessee out of the running for Mario.

Why would Buffalo be Mario Williams first choice? The main reason he's here is because the Bills overpaid. Buffalo would have never been his first choice if all thing were equal. I don't blame Nix for making the move because he was the premier free agent at our biggest position of need, but our only chance of landing him was overpaying and that's what the Bills had to do.

I really hope the wrist surgery makes a difference and Mario ends up being that difference maker we were all hoping for, but it would be completely naive to believe that Mario Williams had the Buffalo Bills at the top of his list when it became a reality that the Texans couldn't re-sign him.

Well, if Mario REALLY wanted to play in Nashville, he just had to wait a few days. Manning signed with Denver shortly after Mario signed with the Bills. There was plenty of time for Mario to sign with the Titans or any other team if he did not want to be in Buffalo.

OpIv37
11-01-2012, 08:05 AM
I think a lot of you are misreading this.

The guy is talking about one specific NFL GM/team. It sounds to me like there was one particular team that Mario was begging to play for, and that team either didn't want him, or couldn't afford him under the cap even if they paid him less than what Buffalo offered. It wasn't him begging every other team to make him an offer and no one did except Buffalo. It was him wanting to play in one specific place.

If that's the case, then I don't blame him. If I were good enough to play in the NFL, I'd definitely prefer to play for some teams rather than others.

better days
11-01-2012, 08:31 AM

The guy is talking about one specific NFL GM/team. It sounds to me like there was one particular team that Mario was begging to play for, and that team either didn't want him, or couldn't afford him under the cap even if they paid him less than what Buffalo offered. It wasn't him begging every other team to make him an offer and no one did except Buffalo. It was him wanting to play in one specific place.

If that's the case, then I don't blame him. If I were good enough to play in the NFL, I'd definitely prefer to play for some teams rather than others.

Well, according to the Houston Chronicle, that particular team, was the Houston Texans & I agree with you Op it is understandable a guy would like to stay where he was drafted & played his entire career up to that point.

Joe Fo Sho
11-01-2012, 08:33 AM

Pffft, why don't you and your logic find a different thread to post in.

:blahblah:

OLDSRIP
11-01-2012, 09:25 AM
Really Opiv, using reading comprehension and common sense. you sir, should be banned for setting a bad example!

X-Era
11-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Love the all out assault on Mario these days. He's one player and it's not your money.

The contract, not Mario, did wonders for this team. Frankly, I'm fine if we get nothing more than Kelsay play from him. But, I think we will get way more in the long run.

X-Era
11-01-2012, 09:35 AM

This is the first time that something like this has ever happened with a high priced free agent... ever.

Ed
11-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Well, if Mario REALLY wanted to play in Nashville, he just had to wait a few days. Manning signed with Denver shortly after Mario signed with the Bills. There was plenty of time for Mario to sign with the Titans or any other team if he did not want to be in Buffalo.
I don't think he necessarily REALLY wanted to be in Nashville, but if the Titans hadn't entered the Manning sweepstakes, Mario would have likely been their top free agent pursuit and in that situation maybe he decides to visit them first instead of Buffalo and ends up never leaving for any other visits.

OpIv37
11-01-2012, 10:15 AM
Love the all out assault on Mario these days. He's one player and it's not your money.

The contract, not Mario, did wonders for this team. Frankly, I'm fine if we get nothing more than Kelsay play from him. But, I think we will get way more in the long run.

I think people are tired of the "long run." It's always about the long run with this team- rebuilding for a future that never seems to get here. For once, we go out and get a high-priced FA who's supposed to help immediately, and instead we're talking about the "long run" again.

jdaltroy5
11-01-2012, 10:44 AM
He couldn't go to said team, because said team didn't want to offer even the lower amount. Lance Z updated.

Didn't have enough $ for Mario's demands, even if they were lower.So we overpaid him. That's not news. We all said that when we got him.

I just don't want to hear how he loved it here and all that other garbage he spewed. He signed for the $. Don't blame him really. I just thought it was funny as hell.It doesn't have to be one thing or another. The fact that he did like it here was probably just icing on the cake.

Edit: Also shows that we have to grossly overpay to get guys in FA, and that probably won't change until they actually put together a winning team.Not exactly a shocking revelation.

Mr. Miyagi
11-01-2012, 11:00 AM
What a pointless thread this is.

coastal
11-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Of course he didn't want to sign here.

im sure u guys could bump a number of threads from the time Mario was in town till the time he signed where people were wondering what the hold up was.

it was clear he was using the Bills offer to shop. I think I remember Chicago being a player so maybe that's who is being referenced here.

In reality this is not an unrealistic scenario here unless you are just a complete homer. Afterall, it's not like Clabo didn't do the same the year before.

YardRat
11-01-2012, 04:30 PM
I think people are tired of the "long run." It's always about the long run with this team- rebuilding for a future that never seems to get here. For once, we go out and get a high-priced FA who's supposed to help immediately, and instead we're talking about the "long run" again.

better days
11-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Of course he didn't want to sign here.

im sure u guys could bump a number of threads from the time Mario was in town till the time he signed where people were wondering what the hold up was.

it was clear he was using the Bills offer to shop. I think I remember Chicago being a player so maybe that's who is being referenced here.

In reality this is not an unrealistic scenario here unless you are just a complete homer. Afterall, it's not like Clabo didn't do the same the year before.

It would be unrealistic to think Mario would come to Buffalo, a place he had never been to before in his life & sign a contract 10 minutes after the plane landed. Of course it took a sales job to get him to sign. The Bills had to convince him he would be happy in Buffalo with the Team, the City & the Money. They were able to convince him to sign before he left, good job by the Bills front office.

coastal
11-02-2012, 06:10 AM
It would be unrealistic to think Mario would come to Buffalo, a place he had never been to before in his life & sign a contract 10 minutes after the plane landed. Of course it took a sales job to get him to sign. The Bills had to convince him he would be happy in Buffalo with the Team, the City & the Money. They were able to convince him to sign before he left, good job by the Bills front office.
Russ Brandon and Buddy Nix were the sales team... think about that.

It's not like we're dealing with Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick.

the only card they had was money, unless you want to count a drunk Jim Kelly as an asset.

and no one called on the money, so he took it.

whys that so hard to believe?

better days
11-02-2012, 06:51 AM
Russ Brandon and Buddy Nix were the sales team... think about that.

It's not like we're dealing with Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick.

the only card they had was money, unless you want to count a drunk Jim Kelly as an asset.

and no one called on the money, so he took it.

whys that so hard to believe?

Yeah, Brandon & Nix were the sales team along with Kelly. Speaks well for the Bills future IMO.

coastal
11-02-2012, 07:00 AM
Yeah, Brandon & Nix were the sales team along with Kelly. Speaks well for the Bills future IMO.
:rofl:

Mike
11-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Too convenient considering the air of discontent about Mario right now. I think he would have kept looking if he didn't want to be here. What the hell is the difference between $90 million and $100 million if you don't want to be somewhere? Lance is probably being honest... its the exec who is full of it.

In our world, 90mil or 100mil is not a big difference as long as your going to a team you want to play for. However, for these Athletes its often bragging rights and a sense of legacy. Mario will forever be associated with being the first defensive player to sign a 100mil contract and for the being the highest played player. He gets recognition for this.

All that being said, this article suggest that he was willing to take a little less money but that there were no takers.

THATHURMANATOR
11-03-2012, 08:44 PM
According to Lance Zierlein

LOL
Who gives two ****s about this?

Mr. Pink
11-04-2012, 04:04 AM
If I were a professional athlete, I'm not, I would rather take half of what Mario fleeced from the Bills for a chance at a winning elsewhere.

Hell, if I was Mario, I woulda done whatever it took to stay in Houston rather than leave.

But ya know that's just me. Sports is supposed to be about competition and winning...some athletes, Mario Williams obviously, are only about the money. Then again if this report is true, maybe he's not completely about the money and other teams just didn't want him.

Although if that's the case, a competitive person would play with a chip on their shoulder like they had something to prove. Mario on the other hand just goes out there like he couldn't even give a crap what happens on the field as long as he can still go count the 0's in his bank account after the game.

I wonder if he and Fitz sit around laughing together going "Holy crap, we suck, this team sucks, but look at all the dam 0000000s these morons pay us." I'm half serious about this statement.

coastal
11-04-2012, 04:30 AM
If I were a professional athlete, I'm not, I would rather take half of what Mario fleeced from the Bills for a chance at a winning elsewhere.

Hell, if I was Mario, I woulda done whatever it took to stay in Houston rather than leave.do you know what the difference is between $50 million and $100 million?

thats right... $50 million.

anyone who says that they would leave that amount of coin on the table for a "chance of winning elsewhere" is either stupid or lying.

as the saying goes... "When someone says it ain't about the money... guess what?

it's about the money."

Mr. Pink
11-04-2012, 01:07 PM
do you know what the difference is between $50 million and $100 million?

thats right... $50 million.

anyone who says that they would leave that amount of coin on the table for a "chance of winning elsewhere" is either stupid or lying.

as the saying goes... "When someone says it ain't about the money... guess what?

it's about the money."

When you have that much money, 50 million is like 50 bucks. Seriously what are you gonna buy for 100m that you wouldn't have been able to buy for 50m? Not too mention the fact he already had a big contract before this one and I doubt he was broke before signing his deal here.

Mike
11-04-2012, 10:04 PM
When you have that much money, 50 million is like 50 bucks. Seriously what are you gonna buy for 100m that you wouldn't have been able to buy for 50m? Not too mention the fact he already had a big contract before this one and I doubt he was broke before signing his deal here.

You aren't seeing the whole picture.
-First, a $100M contract is not worth a $100m! Its only worth what the signing bonus is. In this case 50M. IF he gets a career ending injury tomorrow, Mario would get cut and keep roughly 50M not a 100M,

-Second, Thus if he Took 50M from another team, most likely the sining bonus would be 25M

-Third, if he was injured he would have 25M for the rest of his life. Most players have dedicated their lives towards developing their football skills at the cost of developing other skills and as a result, most players dont have careers in other highly paid endeavors after football.

-Fourth, his expenses are way higher than the average persons: NFL players have mansions, cars, and piles and piles of debt. His overhead might be 500K/yr. He might be spending 1M/yr. Further, many NFL players help support many members of their family. As a result, he needs the $$$

-Fifth, most pro players have capital heavy investments such as restaurants, etc...

-Sixth, did you know that 78% of NFL players are broke 4years after leaving football??? Those are moster numbers and they include the top played players. Heck Sapp recently filed for bankruptcy. Fact is most of the NFL players do not have the financial education or know how on how to manage large sums of money and often blow it or give it to the wrong managers.

-Seventh, why leave money on the table for an uncertainty? You never know how things will play out. If you were an FA in 1994 and had your choice between the Bills or Rams, left money on the table and chose the Bills so you can win a SB how would you have felt a few years later when the Rams won?

Mr. Pink
11-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Sorry I don't feel sorry for someone pissing away 25m and if you're gonna piss away 25m, you're likely gonna piss away 50m.

Get yourself a real financial adviser, you can afford it, and don't go out and buy 20 different cars just because you have more money than you know what to do with.

Again, Mario GOT a huge rookie deal too being the number 1 overall pick. There's 2 huge contracts already.

No sympathy for this guy or any other athletes plight.