Kelvin Sheppard: "You watch us, we play lights out on defense play in and play out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kingJofNYC
    • Sep 2009

Kelvin Sheppard: "You watch us, we play lights out on defense play in and play out...

"It's the people that look at numbers that really don't know football to be honest," the second-year player said. "People that really know football, then you turn the film on. Just go turn it on. You watch us, we play lights out on defense play in and play out and then we give up an 80-yard run. It's very rare that a team can line up and move the ball on us 80 yards in a drive. I mean it happened, it's happened. It happened against San Francisco. It's happened. We're not just this immovable object. We're playing defense, it's just the consistency and on the consistent basis that we do [need to] play."

Sheppard continued:

"You can play good on ten plays and then on the eleventh play you let [Chris Johnson] break an 80-yard run. The previous ten, no one sees that. The outside, no one sees that. They just see, you give up an 80-yarder. Then you go back, you play good six plays and on the seventh play, you give up a 50-yarder. Then you go back, you play good on eight plays and on the ninth play, you give up a 60-yarder. I mean those are just X-plays -- what we call them, what everyone else knows as big plays -- that we have to try to avoid."
    Lights out? Consistently bad.

Some teams don't give up 50 yard runs for weeks, we give up multiple in the same game, but somehow they're playing lights out.
  • IlluminatusUIUC
    • Sep 2012

Re: Kelvin Sheppard: "You watch us, we play lights out on defense play in and play ou

You just don't know football.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• kingJofNYC
      • Sep 2009

Re: Kelvin Sheppard: "You watch us, we play lights out on defense play in and play ou

I particularly enjoyed the part where he dismisses numbers, but then begins listing huge run numbers. Pft numbers, we only give up 50 yards runs every 9 plays or so!

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
        Making Spirits Bright
        • Mar 2006

Arian Foster is going to set records this weekend...but that's only because we'll give up 6 runs of 50 yards or more. The other 20 runs, he'll only average 5 ypc.
        Last edited by Joe Fo Sho; 11-01-2012, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

"The D is playing well except for giving up big plays...."

Um, first, the D isn't playing well. And 2nd, a D can't be playing well and giving up big plays because giving up big plays is the definition of a defense NOT playing well.

If this idiot actually believes this, he should be cut for his own stupidity and loser mentality.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• coastal
            Legendary Zoner
            • Mar 2005

comedy gold.

Comment

• trapezeus
              Legendary Zoner
              • Oct 2004

shep just bought him self a ticket out of town.

though i respect that this is coming from wounded pride. it's completely rational-less. Ok, so maybe i don't know football, but i watch football. and my eyes say the bills give up yards through the air and on the ground routinely. to be honest, i don't even care that the bills give up the points and long plays at this point. i don't like that they let other teams hold the ball forever and work the clock and work us over.

and the other part that's nonsensical is that it would be better to hear that they aren't playing with fire, because it means there is something to tap into to get better performance. if these 7 weeks have been their best effort, that's frankly quite scary.

I tweeted Coachsal and asked if any teams gave up multi- 50 point games. he said the 2007 lions did and they gave up 3 40 point games. Its going to be half a season on sunday and we might be have pretty much acheived that indignity in half a season. This is truly a pathetic unit. and if they don't like it, they can stop making excuses and they can start showing up.

Comment

• jdaltroy5
                • Aug 2012

I may not know football, but I do know English.

"Play in and play out" or "consistently" doesn't generally include one out of every 8 plays or so Kelvin.

If you give up a huge run every 10 plays, then you're not a good defense.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                  My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                  • Apr 2004

This guy, like some of the others on this team, is struggling with doubt in his own abilities. There has been plenty of attention to what he needs to not do and he's being told how not to do it by the coaching staff, a few veterans and fans who are not on the inside of this. He knows they are not getting their job done. Is he a weak link? Maybe, yes. Is he supposed to admit he can't do the job and walk off the team? No. He has to have a scaffold to build on. He has to find something to hang his hat on or all is lost. Let him have it. Or do you want to kick a man when he's down?
                  Last edited by ParanoidAndroid; 11-01-2012, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                    Buffalo Bills Fan
                    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
                    This guy, like some of the others on this team, is struggling with doubt in his own abilities. There has been plenty of attention to what he needs to not do and he's being told how not to do it by the coaching staff, a few veterans and fans who are not on the inside of this. He knows they are not getting their job done. Is he a weak link? Maybe, yes. Is he supposed to admit he can't do the job and walk off the team? No. He has to have a scaffold to build on. He has to find something to hang his hat on or all is lost. Let him have it.

He needs pocket fluff. And a zormnid.
                    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by kingJofNYC View Post
                      Lights out? Consistently bad.

Some teams don't give up 50 yard runs for weeks, we give up multiple in the same game, but somehow they're playing lights out.
                      Are you watching as much film as these guys? He's not saying they consistently playing lights out. He's admitting to failing to stop big runs but playing well on the other plays. Stop making idiotic threads.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • May 2009

It all comes back to the scheme these guys are put in at the wrong times. The players are rarely in a position to succeed. Wannstedt would make Patrick Willis look like Brian Bosworth.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
                          This guy, like some of the others on this team, is struggling with doubt in his own abilities. There has been plenty of attention to what he needs to not do and he's being told how not to do it by the coaching staff, a few veterans and fans who are not on the inside of this. He knows they are not getting their job done. Is he a weak link? Maybe, yes. Is he supposed to admit he can't do the job and walk off the team? No. He has to have a scaffold to build on. He has to find something to hang his hat on or all is lost. Let him have it. Or do you want to kick a man when he's down?
                          Kick him while he's down, preferably in the jaw so he can't say stupid **** like this for a while so it can heal.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
                            It all comes back to the scheme these guys are put in at the wrong times. The players are rarely in a position to succeed. Wannstedt would make Patrick Willis look like Brian Bosworth.
                            I agree with that to a point, but when a WR runs right by Aaron Williams, it's not the scheme.
                            When Sheppard can't shed a block, it's not the scheme.
                            When Mario Williams gets stoned right at the LOS, it's not the scheme.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Meh, another player who I had high expectations for ,looks lost out there.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X