PDA

View Full Version : Patriots acquire Aqib Talib

IlluminatusUIUC
11-01-2012, 04:53 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/patriots-obtain-cb-aqib-talib-213431683--nfl.html;_ylt=AvVTOVDvB5ZkscjrWbFPVrpDubYF;_ylu=X3oDMTRtMGZhczd1BG1pdANMSVNUUyBNaXhlZCBsaXN0IE5GTCBoZWFkbGluZXMEcGtnAzUwZGEyMjk5LWMwZDQtMzFiYS04MzIyLWEyMTVkOTNkYzY1NQRwb3MDMQRzZWMDTWVkaWFCTGlzdE1peGVkTFBDQVRlbXAEdmVyAzY3NDdhNTQwLTI0NmQtMTFlMi1iZWZmLWE0OGFhZDQzN2FhZg--;_ylg=X3oDMTFoZHY1MWJpBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANuZmwEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) -- The New England Patriots have obtained cornerback Aqib Talib (http://www.billszone.com/nfl/players/8797) for their shaky secondary from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Talib will be eligible to play in the Patriots' next game on Nov. 11 after serving a four-game NFL suspension without pay for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing substances.

The Patriots acquired on Thursday the former first-round draft pick and a seventh-rounder next year for their fourth-round choice in 2013.

Talib's talented but a headcase. Will he go the Dillon route and adopt hte Patriot way or the Haynesworth route and stink his way out of the league?

Nontheless, it must be nice to follow a team that recognizes a weakness and aggressively tries to fix it.

Skooby
11-01-2012, 04:54 PM
We can't fix stupid coaching but a new owner can.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/patriots-obtain-cb-aqib-talib-213431683--nfl.html;_ylt=AvVTOVDvB5ZkscjrWbFPVrpDubYF;_ylu=X3oDMTRtMGZhczd1BG1pdANMSVNUUyBNaXhlZCBsaXN0IE5GTCBoZWFkbGluZXMEcGtnAzUwZGEyMjk5LWMwZDQtMzFiYS04MzIyLWEyMTVkOTNkYzY1NQRwb3MDMQRzZWMDTWVkaWFCTGlzdE1peGVkTFBDQVRlbXAEdmVyAzY3NDdhNTQwLTI0NmQtMTFlMi1iZWZmLWE0OGFhZDQzN2FhZg--;_ylg=X3oDMTFoZHY1MWJpBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANuZmwEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Talib's talented but a headcase. Will he go the Dillon route and adopt hte Patriot way or the Haynesworth route and stink his way out of the league.

Nontheless, it must be nice to follow a team that recognizes a weakness and agressively tries to fix it.

coastal
11-01-2012, 05:16 PM
I ****ing hate the Patriots.

gr8slayer
11-01-2012, 05:17 PM
And the rich get richer.

THRILLHO
11-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Bill Belichek: "This outta stop the Bills from getting an extra garbage time TD so we can win by 24+."

GingerP
11-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Bill Belichek: "This outta stop the Bills from getting an extra garbage time TD so we can win by 24+."

He is on suspension and won't be eligible to return until after the Bills game. Thus, that garbage-time TD is assured.

EDS
11-01-2012, 06:52 PM
And the rich get richer.

But the Bills won the offseason!!!!!

THRILLHO
11-01-2012, 07:28 PM
He is on suspension and won't be eligible to return until after the Bills game. Thus, that garbage-time TD is assured.

And you are correct. Thank you, I misread the report.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-01-2012, 07:38 PM
And you are correct. Thank you, I misread the report.

I'm confused, the Yahoo link says he'll be eligible to play on November 11 - Bills/Patriots. What am I missing.

Ed
11-01-2012, 07:52 PM
I'm confused, the Yahoo link says he'll be eligible to play on November 11 - Bills/Patriots. What am I missing.
I don't think they're accounting for the fact that NE has a bye this week.

cookie G
11-01-2012, 08:52 PM
meh, he was never that great.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ek0ANQ8bRfo?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Pats are probably the only team that spends more 1st and 2nd round draft choices on DB's.

And their DB's still suck.

better days
11-01-2012, 10:24 PM
meh, he was never that great.

<iframe height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ek0ANQ8bRfo?feature=player_detailpage" frameBorder="0" width="640" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

The Pats are probably the only team that spends more 1st and 2nd round draft choices on DB's.

And their DB's still suck.

I disagree. He is very talented on the field. His problems are off the field. I don't see him turning into a boy scout myself. The only question is how long Billy boy puts up with his bs.

THRILLHO
11-01-2012, 10:59 PM
From the article I read;
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/01/thanks-to-bye-talibs-suspension-could-grow-from-four-weeks-to-five/

"Per the league, Talib’s suspension extends through Week 10." We are the week 10 opponents.

Ed
11-02-2012, 09:56 AM
I forgot tabout the draft picks NE traded for Chad Johnson and Haynesworth too. Those were for 2013, so NE doesn't have a 4th, 5th, or 6th round pick in the 2013 draft now.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4733604/re-setting-pats-2013-draft-picks

stuckincincy
11-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Talib's talented but a headcase. Will he go the Dillon route and adopt hte Patriot way or the Haynesworth route and stink his way out of the league?

Nontheless, it must be nice to follow a team that recognizes a weakness and aggressively tries to fix it.

Surprised at the mention of Dillon. NE didn't straighten him out - he was simply freed from the idiocy of the CIN organization. Yes - he was a bit of a jerk, but just a garden variety jerk. He correctly detected that talking to the press was a fruitless enterprise.

A great player. Come game day, he was all business - hated to be taken out. He hit hard, had a tremendous straight arm. If he broke out into the open, his speed tasked cornerbacks. He was a fine blocker, and repeatedly came back into the play to help a harried qb.

I was happy that he left dysfunctional CIN and got a SB ring.

better days
11-02-2012, 02:15 PM
From the article I read;
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/01/thanks-to-bye-talibs-suspension-could-grow-from-four-weeks-to-five/

"Per the league, Talib’s suspension extends through Week 10." We are the week 10 opponents.

And I think it takes him some time to adjust to the Pats* defense when he is off suspension, but if he can keep his nose clean, the Pats* picked up a VERY GOOD CB.

stuckincincy
11-02-2012, 02:37 PM
And I think it takes him some time to adjust to the Pats* defense when he is off suspension, but if he can keep his nose clean, the Pats* picked up a VERY GOOD CB.

Yup.

cookie G
11-02-2012, 03:44 PM
I disagree. He is very talented on the field. His problems are off the field. I don't see him turning into a boy scout myself. The only question is how long Billy boy puts up with his bs.

This year, opposing QB's have a passer rating of over 100 against him. It was the same in 2011.

That's not Aaron Williams bad, but it isn't that great. He'll get an INT every few games that can make people ooh and ah, and he'll average a PD per game, but he's also going to get burned at least as many times. Subject to mental lapses, which is no surprise, considering he's a dolt.

better days
11-02-2012, 07:06 PM
This year, opposing QB's have a passer rating of over 100 against him. It was the same in 2011.

That's not Aaron Williams bad, but it isn't that great. He'll get an INT every few games that can make people ooh and ah, and he'll average a PD per game, but he's also going to get burned at least as many times. Subject to mental lapses, which is no surprise, considering he's a dolt.

In 2011, Talib played 13 games before being injured & going on IR. He had 34 tackles, 11 passes defended & 2 INTs which were both returned for TD's in those 13 games. Playing against QB's such as Ryan, Brees & Newton who had a GREAT year last year.

In 2012, he was learning a new defense before getting suspended Oct 13. He has 20 solo tackles this year & 1 assist in the games he has played. The league average is 13.7 including the 3 games he missed so far.

As a Bucs fan, I have watched him play since he was drafted & will miss him on the field. Off the field he is a major headache that won't be missed.

But if you don't think he is that good, I doubt you have watched him play. WAIT, you will find out you were wrong about him.