PDA

View Full Version : Wannstedt interview

ghz in pittsburgh
11-01-2012, 08:03 PM
http://audio.wgr550.com/a/65751056/11-1-dave-wannstedt-talks-texans-with-john-murphy.htm

A fairly straight forward interview. Say what you want to say about him, it is candid and to the point.

Chan would never say we need to make up a game because we lost to the Titans. Wanny did. Nix would never admit they want to protect our young secondary. Wanny did. I wonder what he would say about Fitz and our linebackers if asked.

He's never going to use complex schemes to fool people. He needs talent and just lay them out to beat you. That's what he did in Dallas, Chicago (for a season and half), and in Miami.

I listened for a week about Giants defense in Pittsburgh this week.The knowledgeable analyst kept correcting people whenever Gaints' D-Line is mentioned that really it's about Giant's front 7. The front 7 makes the difference even though in their scheme, which is similar to ours, the D-linemen usually make the play (vs the Steelers scheme where the linebackers making the plays). I think the underlying statement is that the Bills just don't have the linebackers to play complement to the front 7 right now.

A new scheme and youth on defense. We are going through the growing pain right now. I don't think the Bills will nor should they fire Wanny (or the entire coaching staff) after the season. The mistake was made two years ago when they went to 3-4. For everyone's sake, let's keep improving parts instead of another wholesale change.

BuffaloWingEater
11-01-2012, 09:19 PM
good coaches scheme to utilize the talent that they have. wanny is using schemes that we don't have the talent for.

BertSquirtgum
11-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Wannstedt is terrible.

EDS
11-01-2012, 10:38 PM
good coaches scheme to utilize the talent that they have. wanny is using schemes that we don't have the talent for.

A high school coach could figure that out, but for some reason it escapes Wannstedt. The Bills have the most worthless set of coordinators in the NFL.

better days
11-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Wanny said the Blitz would expose the young CBs. I think the lack of pressure on the QB exposes them more myself. When a QB has all day to throw, even a mediocre QB can have success against GOOD DBs.

OpIv37
11-02-2012, 08:20 AM
http://audio.wgr550.com/a/65751056/11-1-dave-wannstedt-talks-texans-with-john-murphy.htm

A fairly straight forward interview. Say what you want to say about him, it is candid and to the point.

Chan would never say we need to make up a game because we lost to the Titans. Wanny did. Nix would never admit they want to protect our young secondary. Wanny did. I wonder what he would say about Fitz and our linebackers if asked.

He's never going to use complex schemes to fool people. He needs talent and just lay them out to beat you. That's what he did in Dallas, Chicago (for a season and half), and in Miami.

I listened for a week about Giants defense in Pittsburgh this week.The knowledgeable analyst kept correcting people whenever Gaints' D-Line is mentioned that really it's about Giant's front 7. The front 7 makes the difference even though in their scheme, which is similar to ours, the D-linemen usually make the play (vs the Steelers scheme where the linebackers making the plays). I think the underlying statement is that the Bills just don't have the linebackers to play complement to the front 7 right now.

A new scheme and youth on defense. We are going through the growing pain right now. I don't think the Bills will nor should they fire Wanny (or the entire coaching staff) after the season. The mistake was made two years ago when they went to 3-4. For everyone's sake, let's keep improving parts instead of another wholesale change.

Sorry but this is just crap. At any given time, there are maybe 4-5 teams in the NFL that have the type of elite talent all- around on D to beat other teams purely on talent, if that many. The rest have some talented players and have to use schemes to maximize their impact while minimizing the damage by the less talented players.

Clearly the Bills aren't in the "elite defensive talent" category. On paper, our DL is elite, but a) they haven't performed like it on the field, and b) even if they did, our LB's and CB's are clearly lacking in talent and our S's are just average. It's Wanny's job to scheme to maximize the talent that we have. If he can't do it, he shouldn't have the job.

Jeff1220
11-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Sorry but this is just crap. At any given time, there are maybe 4-5 teams in the NFL that have the type of elite talent all- around on D to beat other teams purely on talent, if that many. The rest have some talented players and have to use schemes to maximize their impact while minimizing the damage by the less talented players.

Clearly the Bills aren't in the "elite defensive talent" category. On paper, our DL is elite, but a) they haven't performed like it on the field, and b) even if they did, our LB's and CB's are clearly lacking in talent and our S's are just average. It's Wanny's job to scheme to maximize the talent that we have. If he can't do it, he shouldn't have the job.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Truth.

ZAZusmc03
11-02-2012, 08:42 AM

Amen to that. Well said.

justasportsfan
11-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Simply using talent to play simple schemes is going to take years and a lot of $ on the defense. You may have to have an all pro lineup to be consistently great at running a simple scheme.

Take into consideration that we can't keep our top players every year. Someone will leave due cap restrictions.
Wanny spent most of the teams $ on the fins' D when he was their HC and that D always collapsed at the end of the year.

Mr. Miyagi
11-02-2012, 09:48 AM
What exactly do we have the talent for then?

Ed
11-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Wanny said the Blitz would expose the young CBs. I think the lack of pressure on the QB exposes them more myself. When a QB has all day to throw, even a mediocre QB can have success against GOOD DBs.
This is what's frustrating. The D is not having any success defending the pass because teams are just picking them a part, but it's more important to "protect our young CB's" even though what they're doing is clearly not working. What's the point of being afraid of our corners getting beat if we're still getting killed anyway? If we drafted Gilmore to be a shutdown type corner then let's challenge him to be one and see what happens. Let's put pressure on our corners to play well and try to get after the qb and if they get beat so be it. At least it would show Wannstache is trying instead of just accepting failure.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-02-2012, 10:27 AM
This is what's frustrating. The D is not having any success defending the pass because teams are just picking them a part, but it's more important to "protect our young CB's" even though what they're doing is clearly not working. What's the point of being afraid of our corners getting beat if we're still getting killed anyway? If we drafted Gilmore to be a shutdown type corner then let's challenge him to be one and see what happens. Let's put pressure on our corners to play well and try to get after the qb and if they get beat so be it. At least it would show Wannstache is trying instead of just accepting failure.

Exactly. If our team was just being nickel and dimed then I'd agree that maybe we need to protect them and tighten things up. But we're dropping 7 guys on nearly every down and still getting horrendously gashed downfield by the likes of Alex Smith and Mark Sanchez.

Ed
11-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Exactly. If our team was just being nickel and dimed then I'd agree that maybe we need to protect them and tighten things up. But we're dropping 7 guys on nearly every down and still getting horrendously gashed downfield by the likes of Alex Smith and Mark Sanchez.
Yeah we drop 7, but guys still go uncovered or find huge gaping holes to get open in. If we're going to have players that stand around frozen like they don't know what to do then we might as well just send them at the qb. At least it would force the opposing qb to have to make a quick decision/throw. I would think it would be easier for our CB's to just try and cover their guy for a few seconds than have multiple guys moving around for twice as long trying to figure out who's responsible for what. I don't know, I'm no expert on any of this, but it seems pretty obvious that what we're doing right now just flat out isn't working at all.

justasportsfan
11-02-2012, 10:58 AM

I think he is at times. Like what was stated , his scheme is supposed to protect the inexperienced talent he has at cb. Problem is, he isn't bringing out the best from the talent he has from the front four. When your players aren't playing to their full potential, the coaches are to blame for that. They just aren't inspiring their players.

I'm not impressed by Anderson so far.

Dareus was drafted high and I hoped he would have been better than Wilfork. He's not even close.

Mario is expected to be better than Shobel. I can argue that he's not even as good as Kelsay so far.

Typ0
11-02-2012, 02:25 PM
It is beyond me how Wanny even gets a job as DC not to mention keeps one. Only in Buffalo ...

Ed
11-02-2012, 02:34 PM
It is beyond me how Wanny even gets a job as DC not to mention keeps one. Only in Buffalo ...
Because Wanny gave Chan a job as an OC when he was in Miami. That's how the NFL works. You hire your friends and when you get fired they hire you.

BuffaloWingEater
11-02-2012, 03:30 PM
What exactly do we have the talent for then?

buddy nix's draft of defensive players has been atrocious.

The last buffalo fan
11-02-2012, 06:53 PM
ghz, you are a wise and nice poster guy to me, but I think it is a Wasted interview actually.