PDA

View Full Version : An open question

Ingtar33
11-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Alright, for the first time in my life i've missed a bills game, didn't record it and have no plan to hunt it down to see it. I also am not slightly annoyed at seeing the final score, as my only desire was for the bills to not get embarrassed 50-3... and it seems we sorta kept the final score competitive.

So i guess i'm looking for feedback on how the team looked today. mostly out of morbid curiosity. I can see the box score just fine, but i'd rather get something more out of it then what the box score can tell me.

As a sidenote: is it time to kill the Kelly avatar? I think the look on his face sums this mess up nicely... but i am open to changing it.

btw: I had a great day today not watching any NFL games, I probably will be doing this more often. It will likely keep my doctor happy (about my blood-pressure)

Mr. Pink
11-04-2012, 05:40 PM
They were competitive today and in the game pretty much all day.

We ran 3 times total in the second half.

The play calling split was 27 throws 13 runs while the game was still a one score contest.

The offense was pathetic and couldn't make plays when it needed to. Mainly because Chan Gailey is an offensive momentum killer.

Defensively they played well enough to win.

cookie G
11-04-2012, 06:20 PM
For the 3rd consecutive game, a Bills' QB committed a TO with 3 minutes left to go in the game. The past 2 weeks, the Bills were trying to hold onto a lead. This time, they were trying to make a last minute comeback. None of the TO's were very smart. Today's was Fitz stretching for an extra yard with someone on his back, leading to a dumb fumble.

He's making Tony Romo look clutch.

The defense wasn't as bad as it had been. MW showed up for a few plays, and Dareus pushed the pocket back on a play or two. Moore remains the best pass rusher.

The investment in high draft choice DB's is really paying off. Aaron Williams looked like he was chained to Andre Johnson, unfortunately, the chain was 10 yards long. After Williams got hurt, another former 1st round pick was brought in to replace him. You can never have enough of these guys.

Dan Fouts actually congratulated Gillmore for being 2 steps behind Andre Johnson on a long pass to the endzone. Fortunately, the pass was off.

Spiller and Jackson carried the ball a combined 12 times. One of Spillers' 6 carries was on 3rd and inches. Enough said.

They were lucky the score was as close as it was.

Crisis
11-04-2012, 06:26 PM
CJ Spiller is one of the most talented players in the league and only gets the ball 10 times a game in this offense. Most of our good offensive drives came as a result of him and he still isn't a bigger part of this team's game plan... I just don't understand it.

Skooby
11-04-2012, 06:29 PM
CJ Spiller is one of the most talented players in the league and only gets the ball 10 times a game in this offense. Most of our good offensive drives came as a result of him and he still isn't a bigger part of this team's game plan... I just don't understand it.

It's mind boggling, I guess that Fitz can pass for the same average so why bother going further right?

Ingtar33
11-04-2012, 06:32 PM
so more of the same... texans kept us in it by not bothering to show up and taking it easy... while the bills continued to prove they're just a 2nd rate ACC team.

Generalissimus Gibby
11-04-2012, 06:35 PM
so more of the same... texans kept us in it by not bothering to show up and taking it easy... while the bills continued to prove they're just a 2nd rate ACC team.

You insult the ACC's second rate teams.

Scumbag College
11-04-2012, 06:38 PM
The Bills didn't do anything to lose the game, but didn't do a whole lot to win it either.

Bad play calling on offense abandoning the run in the second half and the lack of finding any way to stop Houston's TEs and WR Johnson were glaring oversights by the coaching staff today.

DraftBoy
11-04-2012, 06:41 PM

Duke is offended.

Novacane
11-04-2012, 07:05 PM
I know the Bills were "in it" for most of the game but there was never any doubt they would lose in my mind.

Crisis
11-04-2012, 09:14 PM
I know the Bills were "in it" for most of the game but there was never any doubt they would lose in my mind.

Yep, you just wait for the inevitable collapse once the 2nd half rolls around, and they never surprise.

dannyek71
11-04-2012, 09:22 PM

He is playing well this season, but one of the most talented in the league??

ServoBillieves
11-04-2012, 10:00 PM

The Te<cite></cite>xans showed up today. They played well today. I'm as mad as the other fans but to say an NFL team didn't show up today because they were playing the Bills is asinine. JJ Watt and a very good defensive line was held in check by an incredibly underrated offensive line.

This is a loss, this is an awful loss, but they are the best team in the AFC, and we held them. But what's the point of making the playoffs when a team like this is going to inevitably destroy us? Chan Gailey continues to believe that the Wildcat, the spread offense, the pistol offense, and empty backfields will somehow be the answer when his GM drafted a RB in the first round and won't use him. Let's run bubble screens for 2 yards. Let's throw a 3 yard slant on 3rd and 9.

**** the Bills, but don't say the opponent didn't show up.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. He is one of the most talented to answer your question.

Turf
11-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Classic Gailey and Fitz. We're down by 2 scores, no timeouts, get the ball with 5 mins in the fourth, and casually attempt, with no urgency, no no huddle, in fact they huddled, and showed no fundamental knowledge of the game that even a child would recognize, and killed their own clock before they failed. So you saved yourself from wanting to stab the SOB with a dull spoon. Also, watching the game on CBS, where the camera man is so ****ing lazy he can't zoom in and follow the play, the players looked like ants.
Great game.

Mr. Pink
11-04-2012, 10:23 PM

He and Darren Sproles/Reggie Bush aren't really all that different IMO.

I wouldn't make the leap that CJ is one of the most talented guys in the league. He's a good player but not great.

If anyone considers Spiller great or one of the most talented in the league then they have to put Sproles and Bush right there with him.

Turf
11-04-2012, 10:26 PM
He and Darren Sproles/Reggie Bush aren't really all that different IMO.

I wouldn't make the leap that CJ is one of the most talented guys in the league. He's a good player but not great.

If anyone considers Spiller great or one of the most talented in the league then they have to put Sproles and Bush right there with him.

We have a head coach that doesn't have a clue. Any other competent coach would have this guy on the cover of Madden next year.

TigerJ
11-04-2012, 10:54 PM
My assessment is that the Bills played a pretty good game against a superior opponent, and a good deal of their superiority comes at the QB position. It's not that I think Fitzpatrick was terrible today. For him, I think he played a pretty good game. I just think the Texans are confident in Schaub being able to do a lot more things than Fitzpatrick. Fitz actually completed a few more passes of more than 10 yards than usual, but there were still more wide receiver screens than I like. At some point in the game defenses are going to start expecting them, and Houston sniffed out several for no gain or a loss.

In a few other random thoughts, JJ Watts is a beast, and Andre Johnson had a field day, mostly against Aaron Williams. I hope Aaron Williams wasn't hurt too badly when Andre Johnson fell on his leg, but frankly, I don't think Williams is that much better than any of the guys Buffalo might use to replace him. Stephon Gilmore has a lot more talent and I could see him being able to take the opponent's top receiver and keeping him well contained next year. He did a good job on Andre Johnson at least some of the time that he was matched up on him, including some beautiful tight coverage on a fourth down touchdown pass attempt that failed, giving Buffalo possession. Buffalo's defensive line had decent pressure some of the time, but I'd have to say Houston won the battle of the trenches on both offense and defense.

Crisis
11-04-2012, 11:40 PM
The guy is almost 2 YPC above the next RB in the league for RBs over 50 carries... It's not a stretch at all to say he's one of the most talented backs in the league. He was a top 10 pick for a reason and his production so far justifies that.

ZAZusmc03
11-05-2012, 01:38 AM
Aaron Williams sucks giant dick. Mark that down on your things to avoid watching

mush69
11-05-2012, 05:15 AM
I too missed the game but from what I see of the highlights it was our corners getting beat and the linebackers missing tackles. So more of the same that I didn't watch. I can go to work today and just concentrate on my job and not have to stand around discussing pathetic football, cause at this point in the season I can't add anything new to the conversation.

Historian
11-05-2012, 06:58 AM
The blue pants look magnificent!

trapezeus
11-05-2012, 07:49 AM
this game was close simply because it looked like the texans didn't take them seriously during the prep week. and the fact we couldn't take advantage of multiple penalties, a blocked kick, decent field position. this team isn't going to sniff two more wins this season.

All together now. F! Russ Brandon. We should start a "We want our team" rally. The NFL is allowing this. They have no commitment to the area. it's truly embarassing.

justasportsfan
11-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Wasn't that interested to begin with. Didn't even watch the 1st qtr. Rather raked the leaves. The little that I watched, Dink and Dunk. We need a franchise qb who can throw it deep.

Typ0
11-05-2012, 09:58 AM
The Bills are a below average football team for an average team would have won that game. The Texans kept them in it by shooting themselves in the foot at a constant rate.

Ingtar33
11-05-2012, 10:52 AM
this game was close simply because it looked like the texans didn't take them seriously during the prep week. and the fact we couldn't take advantage of multiple penalties, a blocked kick, decent field position. this team isn't going to sniff two more wins this season.

no... they'll definitely go on a late season run to solidify their 10-14 pick in the draft. I figure after the pats game they have a few winnable ones in a row. The type of games the bills always win. Yet another lost/wasted year

as to the game... sounds like most of the non-blowout bills losses the last few years... btw: since when did losing by +10 not be considered a blowout?! god i hate the last 12 years of bills football, they're really lowering our standards and expectations... the texans freaking covered an 11 point spread and we're sitting around congratulating ourselves on not being embarrassed. No on the NFL ever covers a 10 point spread... ugh... that's like the sucker bet of sucker bets

Ok a day later and its starting to bug me now

Not that they lost, no that's not bugging me. Its that i've got to this point with this team that i no longer even consider them competitive for a playoff spot (for years now) and have lowered my expectations for the team to such an extent that i no longer get bugged by a double digit loss, as long as it's less then a 20 point difference i seem to be sorta ok with it. THAT ticks me off more then anything!

You know we lost Superbowl 26 by 13 freaking points?! I remember being devastated at how badly we were spanked, it was a blowout as far as i was concerned... and i knew going into that game we couldn't win. But i expected more from the team.

trapezeus
11-05-2012, 11:49 AM
superbowl 26 was decided a lot earlier than that final score. they owned us in that game.

i agree it is funny we are ok with the beat down of 11 points. but to be fair it was 7-6 at halftime and it was 14-9. and frankly a team with balls would have gone for it on 4th and 2 and possibly gone for two to tie (but i know gailey hates going for two).

i just hate that there is zero urgency anywhere from this team. from players, coaches, front office. they are talking to us like we are idiots. it's like being a prisoner and being tortured by the guards. at least the other crappy teams are discussing changes and different answers. but the bills like to just keep telling us that football is difficult.

Ginger Vitis
11-05-2012, 11:50 AM
You know we lost Superbowl 26 by 13 freaking points?! I remember being devastated at how badly we were spanked, it was a blowout as far as i was concerned... and i knew going into that game we couldn't win. But i expected more from the team.

Washington was winning that game 37-10 when the bills scored a TD with 6 minutes left in the game and then scored another TD with 4 minutes left.. At 37-24 with 4 minutes left the Redskins basically ran out the clock. With the bills getting 2 TDs in essentially garbage time you are correct the Bills were annihilated in that game and it felt worse that a 13 point loss

Ingtar33
11-05-2012, 11:57 AM
i remember that game. and i know the final score was deceptive.

But it still stands to reason, that was a blowout just looking at the scoreboard at the end of the night, even with the garbage time TDs. Here we are losing to teams by 10+ consistently, and as long as it isn't some 50-10 atrocity we sorta are alright with it... and shrug it off as "could have been worse", or "at least we weren't blown out"

That so ticks me off

ServoBillieves
11-06-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm standing by an earlier post in which, when this team inevitably fails, as part of a publicity stunt they gut the coaches for the last 4 or 5 games and let intelligent fans take over, because I can name 5 people on this board who could do a better job than most of these coaches. It's so fun sitting at home, watching the game, and already knowing what terrible play call is coming. And for the record, my "**** Buffalo Bills Fans Say 2" is coming out soon. A few jabs to the board on it as well.

SabreEleven
11-06-2012, 10:57 AM
I still watch the games but I go in expecting a loss which helps with the blood pressure and I'm pleasantly surprised when they do win.

Historian
11-06-2012, 11:11 AM
I think Kurt Govea's interception TD gave the Skins a 24-0 lead at one point.

My favorite SB loss was XXVIII: Winning at halftime...second half turnover....game over.

Kind of how most big games have gone since. The team figures out ways to lose ball games.

Typ0
11-06-2012, 02:23 PM
I think Ingtar nailed next years pathetic bills fans successful marketing campaign:

Get your tickets now it could always be worse.

Mr. Pink
11-06-2012, 04:46 PM
I think Ingtar nailed next years pathetic bills fans successful marketing campaign:

Get your tickets now it could always be worse.

Nah....

People buy tickets because of fear-mongering.

If we don't buy there may be no more team OR we don't know how many years this team has left here so we might as well enjoy NFL football til it's gone.

Typ0
11-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Nah....

People buy tickets because of fear-mongering.

If we don't buy there may be no more team OR we don't know how many years this team has left here so we might as well enjoy NFL football til it's gone.

That's really exactly what I said!

Ingtar33
11-07-2012, 10:39 PM
I've been a season ticket holder for 14 years for that very reason. (i've gone to like 20 bills games in those 14 years too)

Typ0
11-08-2012, 09:53 AM
and that's exactly why the team sucks too...because they are empowered to suck by the fans!