PDA

View Full Version : I have a lot of respect for Chan.

coastal
11-05-2012, 08:04 PM
He may be one step above where he should be. He may be making some game day mistakes, but the simple fact is the guy is working his ass off. We took a Superbowl contender into the 4th quarter on the road with a decent shot at winning the game.

Chan Gailey isn't a bum... in fact, give him a Tom Brady and people would be calling him an offensive genius.

Sure... he's not the best on the planet but his greatest weaknesses are out of his control...

...namely not having a QB and working in a ****ed up organization.

Keep coaching Chan... and keep coaching hard!

You have my respect.

Skooby
11-05-2012, 08:07 PM
He may be one step above where he should be. He may be making some game day mistakes, but the simple fact is the guy is working his ass off. We took a Superbowl contender into the 4th quarter on the road with a decent shot at winning the game.

Chan Gailey isn't a bum... in fact, give him a Tom Brady and people would be calling him an offensive genius.

Sure... he's not the best on the planet but his greatest weaknesses are out of control...

You have my respect.

We'll be at .300 ball so if he stays on, so you're making me look sane here on some of my drunken posts.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2012, 08:10 PM
:rofl:

He's taken a more talented Bills team than Jauron had and has produced worse results.

But you like the guy?

Once we fire him, which we eventually will, he'll never have another job in the NFL...not even ball boy.

coastal
11-05-2012, 08:14 PM
We'll be at .300 ball so if he stays on, so you're making me look sane here on some of my drunken posts.
My point is that our problems are a lot more than Chan and with a real QB, I think it would be fair to say everyone's opinion of him might be quite different

bills fans will be screaming for a blood letting by the end of the year. And Ralph will offer up Chan... probably Buddy too in an attempt to appease the blood thirsty crowd.

None of it will be fair to Chan or the efforts he has put into coaching this team in what amounts to an entirely dysfunctional organization.

djjimkelly
11-05-2012, 08:17 PM
chans only mistake in my eyes has been hiring wansteadt

Mr. Pink
My point is that our problems are a lot more than Chan and with a real QB, I think it would be fair to say everyone's opinion of him might be quite different

bills fans will be screaming for a blood letting by the end of the year. And Ralph will offer up Chan... probably Buddy too in an attempt to appease the blood thirsty crowd.

None of it will be fair to Chan or the efforts he has put into coaching this team in what amounts to an entirely dysfunctional organization.

Dick Jauron had a less talented roster to work with and a worse QB and produced better results in the W/L column.

Period.

EDS

Sure... he's not the best on the planet but his greatest weaknesses are out of his control...

You have my respect.

How many beers did it take to write that up?

BertSquirtgum
11-05-2012, 08:19 PM

You have my respect.

Are you bi-polar?

coastal
11-05-2012, 08:20 PM
My biggest criticism of Chan is attempting to run this offense with Fitz at the helm.

Although no matter what we run, without someone to challenge the outside, it's basically a non-starter anyways.

djjimkelly
11-05-2012, 08:24 PM
My biggest criticism of Chan is attempting to run this offense with Fitz at the helm.

Although no matter what we run, without someone to challenge the outside, it's basically a non-starter anyways.

on offense id scrap the wildcat the rest for the most part im also fine with.

fitz isnt good enough to run this o but u have o call an nfl game even if u don have an nfl qb

coastal
11-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Are you bi-polar?
No.

ive worked as a manager in an organization where the owners were totally dysfunctional.

so much of your success and the success of the team you are charged with leading is hindered... and u can do very little outside of just focussing even harder on what you do actually have control over.

that is very much the situation Chan is in... and he isn't losing his focus.

i respect that.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2012, 08:30 PM
No.

ive worked as a manager in an organization where the owners were totally dysfunctional.

so much of your success and the success of the team you are charged with leading is hindered... and u can do very little outside of just focussing even harder on what you do actually have control over.

i respect that.

He's the coach of a team that has pathetic play calling, pathetic schemes and is not set for the strengths this team does have and makes zero adjustments in game.

But yeah ya know, that ain't his fault...it must be someone else's.

coastal
11-05-2012, 08:35 PM
He's the coach of a team that has pathetic play calling, pathetic schemes and is not set for the strengths this team does have and makes zero adjustments in game.

Why is it that ex-Bills players and coaches can go elsewhere in the league and have all kinds of success?

Skooby
11-05-2012, 08:36 PM

Going less into it, we don't win many games since he's been our coach.

coastal
11-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Going less into it, we don't win many games since he's been our coach.
Immaterial.

No playoffs 13 years... That's material.

thats the organizational accomplishment.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Why is it that ex-Bills players and coaches can go elsewhere in the league and have all kinds of success?

All kinds of success? Who has had all kinds of success elsewhere that didn't have success here?

Don't even mention Donte Whitner, he's the same guy in SF as he was here...he's just hidden better among more talented players.

- - - Updated - - -

Immaterial... No playoffs 13 years... That's material.

thats the organizational accomplishment.

Of course it's immaterial to point out that he's been a downgrade since the last regime, which he most certainly has, because it doesn't fit your argument.

coastal
11-05-2012, 08:53 PM
All kinds of success? Who has had all kinds of success elsewhere that didn't have success here?

Don't even mention Donte Whitner, he's the same guy in SF as he was here...he's just hidden better among more talented players.
Fewell... Super Bowl winner.
Gilbride... Super Bowl winner.
Gregg Williams... Super Bowl winner.
Willis McGahee
Marshawn Lynch
Donte Whitner
Jabari Greer... Super Bowl winner.
Wade Phillips
Dick Lebaeu... Super Bowl winner.
Jim Leonhard
Antoine Winfield
Justin Bannan
Pat Williams
Ruben Brown

i pretty much own u.

Of course it's immaterial to point out that he's been a downgrade since the last regime, which he most certainly has, because it doesn't fit your argument.u don't even comprehend my argument.

djjimkelly
11-05-2012, 08:58 PM
u don't even comprehend my argument.

i feel like that alot in life sadly and you are right in this case

OpIv37
11-05-2012, 09:13 PM

You have my respect.

Really? You give Chan credit for ONE game where he took a good team into the last quarter without getting blown out with two weeks to prepare?

What about the SB contender that completely embarrassed us on the road barely a month ago? What about the SB contender in our own division that whooped the ever-loving **** out of us? What about the other team in our division that won't make the playoffs that whooped the ever-loving **** out of us? What about the team that will probably finish 3rd in their division that stole a late lead from us and beat us at home with 2 100-yard rushers in the same game?

Seriously, if that is all it takes to earn your respect, you have ridiculously low standards. This is exactly what I mean when I say Bills fans have accepted mediocrity.

bf1
11-05-2012, 09:16 PM
I liked Chan, but not anymore. I never liked Jauron, but at least the team played hard for him. I don't think they do for Chan. Motivating the players is a head coaching skill. Plus to limit Spiller when the guy is on the verge of a breakout season is unforgivable.

gebobs
11-05-2012, 09:22 PM

You have my respect.
Eff all that ****...2-12 in the division. Gailey sucks. Period.

THRILLHO
11-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Offensive genius coach's team scores no touchdowns. I find that offensive.

Mr. Pink
Willis McGahee
Marshawn Lynch
Donte Whitner
Wade Phillips
Jim Leonhard
Antoine Winfield
Justin Bannan
Pat Williams
Ruben Brown

i pretty much own u.

u don't even comprehend my argument.

LMAO you name coaches who have moved on to organizations who have immensely more talent than here. Lebeau was fine here, in his one season, and successful before and after. Why not mention Sam Wyche and Mike Mularkey while you're at it. Wade isn't even a HC anymore and in fact was fired by another team in between then and now.

McGahee was better here than he has been since. Lynch is the same. Whitner is the same. You mention Greer? Because he was such an integral part of N.O.'s offensive success. Leonhard is a nobody. Winfield was successful here. Bannan is a nobody. Williams was successful here and Ruben Brown was also better here than elsewhere.

You own jack.

Your argument is crap and frankly, stupid.

gebobs
Willis McGahee
Marshawn Lynch
Donte Whitner
Wade Phillips
Jim Leonhard
Antoine Winfield
Justin Bannan
Pat Williams
Ruben Brown

Cherry picking. You could do the same or better with any team's castoffs.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2012, 09:26 PM
i feel like that alot in life sadly and you are right in this case

You still think that JP Losman was awesome so your opinion is equally as meaningless.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Cherry picking. You could do the same or better with any team's castoffs.

He missed Jason Peters. I mean that guy is doing so awesome this year! :rofl:

Plus most of those guys have been replaced by players as good or better...outside of Winfield.

Obviously Fewell and Lebeau are better than the DC we have now though.

imbondz
11-05-2012, 09:30 PM
I liked Chan, but not anymore. I never liked Jauron, but at least the team played hard for him. I don't think they do for Chan. Motivating the players is a head coaching skill. Plus to limit Spiller when the guy is on the verge of a breakout season is unforgivable.

agree 100%. used to support Chan, but for those reasons alone, I don't anymore. and that's not even mentioning his record since he's been here.

imbondz
11-05-2012, 09:32 PM
We took a Superbowl contender into the 4th quarter on the road with a decent shot at winning the game.

that sounds like we're an expansion team. like we're still knew to the league. big deal. we should have beaten them.

gebobs
11-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Anyone that thought Gailey was going to be anything more than another chump either didn't know who he was or was deluded.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Anyone that thought Gailey was going to be anything more than another chump either didn't know who he was or was deluded.

Sadly some people are still deluded. Chan is the worst HC we've had since Wade, including Gregg.

djjimkelly
11-05-2012, 09:57 PM
You still think that JP Losman was awesome so your opinion is equally as meaningless.

holy **** you are pathetic

Mr. Pink
11-05-2012, 10:10 PM
holy **** you are pathetic

Thank you.

Seriously what is pathetic is your inability to actually assess what you are seeing.

Your views on what you've seen in the past makes your evaluation on what you see now meaningless.

Hence what I said.

Mouldsie
11-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Did someone just make fun of Jason Peters? Dude was probably the best OT in the game last year

IlluminatusUIUC
11-05-2012, 11:00 PM

You have my respect.

This post was clearly written in November 2010 after the Baltimore game. Because there's no way you can be claiming this now.

He hasn't been stuck with Fitz, he's deliberately chosen Fitz to lead his offense. There's no way that we give Ryan that extension or draft only 1 7th round QB in three years unless Chan is telling Nix that Fitz is the guy.

Skooby
11-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Offensive genius coach's team scores no touchdowns. I find that offensive.

You wonder why we're at the top of the AFC prediction game, these guys are trying to salt our loser staff. I have some news for the deep-thinkers here, Ralph will never let this team shine above himself again. He'll hire the cheapest group of coaching losers that have some kind of story from decades ago & sell it to a captive audience.

What's been the average age of our coaches / people in charge over the past 6 years ?? Now compare that to the age of the winning Superbowl coaches from the past 6 years. Maybe now the over-the-hill statement holds water, especially for the good ole' boys club.

paladin warrior
11-06-2012, 01:30 AM
Eff all that ****...2-12 in the division. Gailey sucks. Period.
Bills will lose more division play vs pats this sunday and then Play thurday night vs Dolphin and in the last day game play vs Jets. Chan Gailey will be 2-15 divsion. This year will be 0-6 Division, Chan G will be Bye bye and terminated
:hang:

kishoph
11-06-2012, 03:16 AM
I came into the season as a supporter of Gailey, these past few weeks have changed that, at best right now he seems to be a glorified offensive coordinator. Taking no control over the defense and letting Wannstedt continue to have the all say while the defense was in shambles is not a head coaching move.

Then there is this illusion that Chan has that Fitz is capable of running this offense and never holding him accountable for any of his poor play this season, to the point where he'll throw another part of the offense under the bus to protect his beard buddy (ban beards on the team).

Finally there is the refusal to give CJ Spiller more carriers, arguably Spiller might be the most talented back in the league right now. He is the first RB since the 60's to have an average carry of over 6 yards (7.2) with more than 70 carries. Just to show how big that is, Willis McGahee who is averaging over 4 yds. a carry has only 58 more rushing yds. than Spiller, but with 68 more carries. In a interview on WGR yesterday Gailey said that the reason that they didn't run more against the Texans was because of the defense they were playing (they were keeping 7 and 8 men in the box) and if they ran more they would continue to get runs for 1 yard or minus 1 yard, I don't know what game he was watching, but out of the 13 designed running plays only three went for a yard or less. One was a Wildcat run by B. Smith for no gain, one was a 1 yard gain by Jackson and the third was a no gain by Spiller into a stacked line on third and short, which was stupid because that should of been a Jackson carry. Which also brings up how stupid it is to rotate the backs by series instead of by situation.

I'm not crazy about firing Gailey, we've had 5 different coaches in 10 years, but something needs to change. Hopefully when we get a new QB things will be better, that's if we don't draft an O-Lineman.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/fantasy-roto-arcade/monday-brunch-soon-now-c-j-spiller-214241238--fantasy.html

DraftBoy
11-06-2012, 06:07 AM
Chan is the same coach he's always been, he wasn't a good hire when we made it and a number of people pointed out why. Those problems have continued to surface week after week for years now. Favortism among players, poor play calling, inability to get playmakers involved, lack of schematic changes, bad hires, etc., etc.

DraftBoy
11-06-2012, 06:09 AM
We took a Superbowl contender into the 4th quarter on the road with a decent shot at winning the game.

When the hell did this become the standard by which we are measuring our own success?

YardRat
11-06-2012, 06:12 AM

You have my respect.

I'd have more respect if the Bills were a Super Bowl (hell, even just a playoff) contender in year three of this regime.

Night Train
11-06-2012, 06:19 AM
chans only mistake in my eyes has been hiring wansteadt His stubborn loyalty to the extremely limited Fitz isn't a plus.

X-Era
11-06-2012, 06:22 AM

I agree with you. I think we all are guilty at times of blaming the whole thing on one person, position, etc... But, it's a team sport... maybe even an organization sport. Chan is one part of the entire whole. He is not perfect and has made mistakes. However, I personally feel he has done a better job than many of his predecessors. I knwo some of you totally disagree and frankly I won't argue it much. It's not worth hashing through over and over.

My point is that Chan is only one part and if we had a legit franchise QB our fortunes could be much different. Personally, I'd like to see us wait one more year to decide Chan's final fate. I want to see us add a few more pieces to the defense and a legit future option at QB. I realize our new QB won't likely play next year so I don't consider that as something that will likely make a huge difference next year. But, adding a legit ILB and a solid OLB maybe S could make a big impact on the defense and win us a few more games... Maybe even enough for a playoff run.

...And if Chan can get us to the playoffs with a decent defense, and decent offensive production with an average to sub-par QB (Fitz) he has my vote to stay. In the end I think it's still to early to decide on Chan since the defense still needs a few legit pieces.

Extremebillsfan247
11-06-2012, 06:25 AM

Funny you should post that considering how many fans here couldn't wait to see him take over the defense when George Edwards was running it. Wannstedt isn't the problem. The talent sucks, that falls on the head coach and upper management. JMO

Historian
11-06-2012, 06:26 AM
Good coordinator...lousey HC.

gebobs
11-06-2012, 07:26 AM
Good coordinator...lousey HC.
If this offense is what we can expect from coordinator Chan, he's awful at that too. One of the best 1-2 punches at running back, one of the worst quarterbacks, and what does genius boy want to do EVERY ********* GAME? Throw the ball with an empty backfield. It's beyond moronic. I think he's lost his mind.

jdaltroy5
11-06-2012, 08:12 AM

You admit that he neglected the most important position in the game, yet still think he's a good coach?

That doesn't really make sense.

OpIv37
11-06-2012, 08:15 AM
You know what the most disturbing part about this is?

We had pretty much the exact same conversation 8 or 9 years ago regarding Gregg Williams and Kevin Gilbride. Williams had the D and S/T playing great but the O was in shambles and he didn't do anything about it.

Ralph and Brandon have learned nothing. That's why the past keeps repeating itself.

Joe Fo Sho
11-06-2012, 08:20 AM

McDonalds or Burger King?

Skooby
11-06-2012, 08:29 AM

We had pretty much the exact same conversation 8 or 9 years ago regarding Gregg Williams and Kevin Gilbride. Williams had the D and S/T playing great but the O was in shambles and he didn't do anything about it.

Ralph and Brandon have learned nothing. That's why the past keeps repeating itself.

Groundhogs Day.

Albany,n.y.
11-06-2012, 08:29 AM

Guess what: If you named 90% of us Bills head coach, we'd be working our asses off too, trying to get our beloved team to succeed. However, we would be even less qualified than our unqualified head coach. Respect him for cashing millions of dollars and winning less than 1/3 of his games? No thanks. I can respect Chan Gailey the man, he seems to be a good guy who bit off a little more than he could chew, but I'm not going to respect Chan Gailey the head coach.

Albany,n.y.
11-06-2012, 08:32 AM

Gilbride has 2 Super Bowl rings and nobody calls him kill drive in NY.

justasportsfan
11-06-2012, 09:00 AM

You have my respect.

I said it before and I'll say it again, Chan doesn't have an offense that can impose its will. Chan himself said it, the texans stacked the line with big guys and he couldn't run. So what should you do? Make the qb burn the D for doing so.

Problem is, his anointed QB can't make them pay when they stacked the line.

I think Chan knows offense. Problem is, if he insist on sticking with a qb that can't make certain throws that he needs to make, he's no different form Dick Jauron insisting on drafting Maybin and sticking with Trent Edwards.

jdaltroy5
11-06-2012, 09:03 AM

coastal
11-06-2012, 09:46 AM
McDonalds or Burger King?
Another one of my personal trolls... and no, I work in healthcare.

jimmifli
11-06-2012, 09:55 AM
I said it before and I'll say it again, Chan doesn't have an offense that can impose its will. Chan himself said it, the texans stacked the line with big guys and he couldn't run. So what should you do? Make the qb burn the D for doing so.

Problem is, his anointed QB can't make them pay when they stacked the line.

I think Chan knows offense. Problem is, if he insist on sticking with a qb that can't make certain throws that he needs to make, he's no different form Dick Jauron insisting on drafting Maybin and sticking with Trent Edwards.

He gets the QBs that are on the roster. I don't have much faith that Jackson or that other roster spot would be any better.

justasportsfan
11-06-2012, 09:58 AM
He gets the QBs that are on the roster. I don't have much faith that Jackson or that other roster spot would be any better.

So find a qb who can and stop insisting on a qb who can't.

Why did we keep both qb's then? Why are both qb's taking roster spots if they can't even score fg's for us?

IlluminatusUIUC
11-06-2012, 10:04 AM

He doesn't "get" them handed to him - he's the HC for crying out loud. He's had 3 offseasons to go to his GM and say "I can't win with this bum, let's draft [Locker/Dalton/Mallet/etc] or sign someone."

He made the call to annoint Fitz. There is no way on earth tha extension gets done without his ok, and there is no way the lack of real competition for Fitz happens without his ok.

jdaltroy5
11-06-2012, 10:04 AM

Yes, he does Jimmi, but he's had 3 offseasons to replace Fitz and he hasn't even seriously tried to upgrade him.

Joe Fo Sho
11-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Another one of my personal trolls... and no, I work in healthcare.

That explains a lot.

Historian
11-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Gailey initially was very candid when he addressed the media. I respected that, especially after hearing Jauron answer every question with..."Uhhh, I love this game, and I love these guys."

But since the team has continued to falter, he's starting to work on his cliches.

The problems of this team run very deep:

Marketing guys with too much input.
Accountants with too much input.
Poor scouting department.
Owner with one foot on the bananna peel.

Gailey is no rocket scientist to be sure, but the whole mess is not his fault.

At this point, I honestly doubt that Cowher or Shannahan could have done much better.

OpIv37
11-06-2012, 11:43 AM

Some of this was probably already covered in this thread- I didn't read it carefully. But here goes- this is the problem with what you are saying:

Chan says he focuses the attention on the offense, yet there have been two games this year where the O failed to score even one touchdown (and at least one more where we didn't score a TD until the game was out of hand). The D is in shambles and he's done nothing about it- in fact, he admits to focusing on the O.

You are right that he would look better with a good QB. But he doesn't have a good QB. He does, however have arguably the best RB tandem in the game right now, one of whom is leading the league in YPC by a long shot. Yet, he only runs the ball 6 times in the 2nd half in a game where we were never more than 2 scores behind. He keeps calling plays like he has a good QB and no running game when the reality is the opposite.

None of that is on the failed management or a dysfunctional organization. None of that is on the poor QB or the situation Chan is in. That's all on Chan himself.

You say you've worked for a dysfunctional organization? Well, I wouldn't call the organization I work for "dysfunctional," but the project I'm on is messy. There are 3 or 4 contractors involved with no clear chain of command, we don't get to generate our own requirements, we have access issues for our testing environments, our IT service is off-site, etc. All of this is a major headache and makes it hard for me to get work done. But NONE of that is an excuse for me to turn in documents that are missing key pieces of information, have spelling and grammar errors, have inconsistencies, etc. It's still my job to work at the highest possible level of quality given the constraints.

And that's where Chan fails. No doubt he is in a tough situation, but he is not maximizing the talent and ability that he has at his disposal. Don't let the things that are out of his control become an excuse for him screwing up the things that are within his control.

Mr. Pink
11-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Gailey initially was very candid when he addressed the media. I respected that, especially after hearing Jauron answer every question with..."Uhhh, I love this game, and I love these guys."

But since the team has continued to falter, he's starting to work on his cliches.

The problems of this team run very deep:

Marketing guys with too much input.
Accountants with too much input.
Poor scouting department.
Owner with one foot on the bananna peel.

Gailey is no rocket scientist to be sure, but the whole mess is not his fault.

At this point, I honestly doubt that Cowher or Shannahan could have done much better.

Yet Jauron did better.

cookie G
11-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Yes, he does Jimmi, but he's had 3 offseasons to replace Fitz and he hasn't even seriously tried to upgrade him.

You're assuming he's making that decision. And he isn't.

Look, even before Chan was hired...Buddy made it a mission to rebuild the defense. He's now on his 2nd rebuild in 3 years.

That is why 90% of the draft and FA resources were allocated to the defensive side.

Chan was given the 30th ranked offense when he took over.

Those were the rankings of the Bills offense for the 5 prior years before he got here.

To "retool" the anemic offense, he was given...CJ Spiller...and in year 3, Cordy Glenn.

Everyone else was a UFDA, (Nelson, Jones) a person off of another team's practice squad (Urbik, Chandler) or people who weren't even in the league (Pears).

That's what he was given.

To contrast that, the defense was given 2 of the 3 1st round picks;
Both of the 2nd round picks from the 1st 2 drafts;
Both of the 3rd round picks from the 1st 2 drafts;
The majority of the later round picks.

In the 2011 draft, you have to go to the 2nd pick of the 4th round to see an offensive player drafted.
In addition, the defense was given FA's

Dwan Edwards
Andra Davis
Nick Barnett
Mario Williams
Mark Anderson

In addition to that, the leading rusher and leading receiver from the previous regime were traded for mid round draft picks.

To me, that's a GM who is hell bent on rebuilding a defense at all costs and letting the offense "make due".

So let's say he does talk to Buddy "I think you should draft a CB every year" Nix and says he wants a QB.

What would you expect the answer to be? " Oh, sure Chan, just as soon as I get done drafting defensive backs, I'll get right on it."

Is it his fault or is it the guy who's now rebuilding his 3rd defense?

I'm sorry, I'm still amazed the got the offense up to 14th last year, considering what he was given.

Shoot me.

OpIv37
11-06-2012, 12:01 PM

Look, even before Chan was hired...Buddy made it a mission to rebuild the defense. He's now on his 2nd rebuild in 3 years.

That is why 90% of the draft and FA resources were allocated to the defensive side.

Those were the rankings of the Bills offense for the 5 prior years before he got here.

To "retool" the anemic offense, he was given...CJ Spiller...and in year 3, Cordy Glenn.

Everyone else was a UFDA, (Nelson, Jones) a person off of another team's practice squad (Urbik, Chandler) or people who weren't even in the league (Pears).

In the 2011 draft, you have to go to the 2nd pick of the 4th round to see an offensive player drafted.

Dwan Edwards
Andra Davis
Nick Barnett
Mario Williams
Mark Anderson

In addition to that, the leading rusher and leading receiver from the previous regime were traded for mid round draft picks.

To me, that's a GM who is hell bent on rebuilding a defense at all costs and letting the offense "make due".

So let's say he does talk to Buddy "I think you should draft a CB every year" Nix and says he wants a QB.

What would you expect the answer to be? " Oh, sure Chan, just as soon as I get done drafting defensive backs, I'll get right on it."

I'm sorry, I'm still amazed the got the offense up to 14th last year, considering what he was given.

Shoot me.

So, how do you explain the fact that, despite so much attention being paid to the D, the D is still in shambles? The HC is responsible for the defense, too.

gebobs
11-06-2012, 12:01 PM
I disagree. We were in this game and could have taken it, but we had to take some shots. But Gailey doesn't have it in him. He's got no game. None.

On the road against arguably the best team in the conference, the Bills are down 7-0 and have the ball on the Houston 4 with just over a yard to go for the first. Go for it and make it, and it's a whole 'nother game. Would Cowher or Shanahan have gone for it? Maybe, maybe not...but I guarantee they would have a high percentage play up their sleeve that they would drop in a heartbeat. Gailey has no such play.

Then there's the most egregious coaching call of the day. Your idiot quarterback has taken a sack at the 20 yard line instead of lobbing the ball out of the end zone and you are forced to call a time out with 9 seconds to go in the half. Plenty of time to take a quick shot and take a 10-7 halftime lead and a huge psychological edge. Does Cowher take a shot? Does Shanahan? Hell, does Jauron? You're damn right they do.

Third quarter, down 14-6. Third and a short 2...what do you do. Well if your Gailey, you rest your fortunes on your lousy quarterback who throws it at the receiver's feet and then...kick a field goal. Play not to lose. Play not to lose. Play not to lose.

Fourth quarter, down 21-9. 2nd and 10 with 4:24 remaining on our own 30. Idiot quarterback completes a useless 5-yard pass. The team looks around at each other, scratch their butts waiting for the quarterback to tell them what to do. Everyone watching the game aside from Gailey can't believe what they are seeing when dumbass from Harvard signals to the team to huddle up. By the time the team waddles to the line, 0:39 precious seconds have ticked off.

Play not to lose. Play not to lose. Play not to lose.

The game wasn't over yet. The drive wasn't even over yet. But at that point, they had truly lost.

All of that is on Gailey. And I can point to numerous similar examples of this from every game this dolt has coached. He's indefensible. The only possible explanation for his seeming popularity here is that some of you have forgotten what good coaching looks like.

trapezeus
11-06-2012, 12:17 PM
i get the point of hte original post, but chan is losing my respect quickly. the things that are hampering him are things he won't change. Bad qb and unimaginative defense.

This is on him to mitigate it and find ways to win. This is the NFL in 2012. Free agency killed any chance of having an allstar team. you need to find what works and adapt.

he hasn't...and if there isn't a dramatic surge in the next 8 weeks where he shows he understands the weaknesses and is fixing them. he should be out the door. and its unfortunate because i do see that he's a very capable OC if given a qb.

trapezeus
11-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Gilbride has 2 Super Bowl rings and nobody calls him kill drive in NY.

and he went from beinga pass wacky OC to a sound coordinator once he got a legitimate qb.

coastal
11-06-2012, 12:21 PM
That explains a lot.
Riveting.

kingJofNYC
11-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Great post by cookie G. Not a lot of talent on offense added.

Wasted resources on defense, not a single improvement. Again, when you argue about talent levels between the last two regimes you're arguing over piles of ****, this one might be slightly smaller than the last.

Edit: As a guy who follows the Giants because of where I live, Gilbride gets killed all the time down here. Fans complain about as much as we did when things are off. Their offense hasn't been good lately, but they have Eli and explosive receivers that can strike at any time. Fans are really starting to get after him after the Redskins/Cowboys/Steelers performances, and they won two of three.

jdaltroy5
11-06-2012, 12:27 PM

Dwan Edwards
Andra Davis
Nick Barnett
Mario Williams
Mark Anderson

Shoot me.

I'm not saying that Chan isn't a good offensive mind. I'm saying he screwed up by hitching his wagon to Fitzpatrick.

Do you REALLY think his hands are tied? If Chan tells Buddy that Fitz sucks and he can't win with him, then that should be their number one priority. Do you think Buddy gives Fitz a huge extension without Chan's endorsement?

Either they're not on the same page or Chan WAY overvalued Fitz. Either one isn't good.

And besides, like someone else pointed out, it's also Chan's responsibility to field a competent defensive team. If he can't do it, then bare minimum it's his responsibility to find someone who can.

He's failed on both counts there.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-06-2012, 12:31 PM

Again with this "given." He's the head coach of the team, not the waterboy. If he needs something to do his job, he can go out there and get it. Also consider that CJ Spiller was a Top 10 pick in the first year of a rebuild, and 3 years later Chan still can't figure out how to get him consistent touches. Consider that Chan got TJ Graham, who didn't even dress for weeks while he learned the offense, and has barely been seen even when he does. Consider that Chan had a troubled Pro Bowl halfback on the roster that we traded away. That we signed Brad Smith for his "versatility," which to this point has been limited to incredibly boneheaded wildcattery and special teams. Chan's supposed specialty is working with physically talented QBs, to which we've added Thigpen, Young, and now Jackson - none of whom improved one bit since they arrived.

Yeah, the defense has been a trainwreck, but Chan's own failures with the offense cannot be ignored.

swiper
11-06-2012, 12:37 PM
No.

i respect that.

You're opinion seems a little out of character for you. Almost like you're trolling for a fight.

Gailey has problems. Like not going for those 2 points the week before, was it? Not using Spiller more. Not mixing up his play calls. All opponents are defensing to his over-use of the screen pass, for instance. He rides a dead Wild Cat to death for unknown reasons. He also gives his pet players too much rope. He has a lot of issues. No argument about what you said about Fitzpatrick. But Gailey has some tendencies that are easy for opponents to key in on.

Now lets talk about linebackers. Barnett has taken a step back. Still good, but not as much. Sheppard is lost in the middle. Bradham may have some upside - but why didn't they find that in camp? They should put flip Barnett and Sheppard imo.

jimmifli
11-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Based on where we were positioned in the draft, I don't think we've missed out on any QBs that will be much better than Fitz. I'm sure he knows the limitations he's dealing with. Fitz might be the 20-25th best QB on the planet. That isn't enough to win but it also means it's pretty hard to find someone better.

There's a lot to fault Chan for, but getting passably NFL quality play out of a bunch of scrubs isn't one of them. My biggest criticism is the team's lack of fire and his tolerance of them quitting. The team quit. TWICE. AND NOTHING ****ING CHANGED. That showed his total lack of leadership.

cookie G
11-06-2012, 01:00 PM
So, how do you explain the fact that, despite so much attention being paid to the D, the D is still in shambles? The HC is responsible for the defense, too.

How? It was pretty clear when he got here that the idea to switch to a 3-4 was Buddy's. At Gailey's opening press conference, he said something like "I'm warming up to the idea of the 3-4".

Which is company speak for "I'm told this is what we're doing and I'll go along with it publicly."

Hell, when Gailey would use the term "hybrid defense" in PC's, Buddy would usually retort with "we're a 3-4 team and we're going to build like a 3-4 team". Rebuilding the defense was Buddy's idea.

The GM came in inheriting a defense that was 15th in the league, 2nd in the league over all against the pass, and top 5 against the pass in most categories. Instead of building on that, he decided to retool the whole division.

Yeah, Chan's the head coach and by nature of his position, IS responsible for both facets of the team. But that doesn't point to the reason.

If you really want to know why the defense is a dysfunctional lot, you have to go higher.

kingJofNYC
11-06-2012, 01:04 PM
TJ Graham was projected as a late round pick, some had him in the 7th, the Bills in all their wisdom took him in the 3rd. Guy is a midget. Sure he has speed but nothing else. Doesn't run routes well, can't get off press coverage. More failure in evaluating talent. Gailey's not the one who selected him. Guy doesn't even fit this offense, vertical threat in a horizontal scheme.

I still don't understand the Brad Smith signing, but who gave him the contract, Chan? Your coaches ask for things but you can't rubber stamp everything. Who knows if Chan even had input on that deal.

Thigpen physically talented? The guy has no talent at all, just because he can run a little bit doesn't make him physically talented. Guy would be out of the league if it wasn't for a small stretch of games in KC under Chan. This actually sounds familiar, what other player excelled in a small strech/sample and then was given a huge contract?

Nix failed to bring in a capable backup, and then panicked when Young was a complete washout.

Listen, I'm not giving Chan a pass, but Nix should probably take more heat than anyone else. Number 3 pick in the draft is playing like complete ****. Mike Williams 2.0

cookie G
11-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Again with this "given." He's the head coach of the team, not the waterboy. If he needs something to do his job, he can go out there and get it.

He could have signed Peyton Manning? Traded for Rivers? Moved up in the draft for Luck or RGIII?

Also consider that CJ Spiller was a Top 10 pick in the first year of a rebuild, and 3 years later Chan still can't figure out how to get him consistent touches.

Ok, he was given one guy. Awesome.

Consider that Chan got TJ Graham, who didn't even dress for weeks while he learned the offense, and has barely been seen even when he does.

He sat a rookie WR with 2 years of college starting experience for 3 games? Good god.

Consider that Chan had a troubled Pro Bowl halfback on the roster that we traded away.

Trading away Lynch added what talent to the offense?

That we signed Brad Smith for his "versatility," which to this point has been limited to incredibly boneheaded wildcattery and special teams.

Awesome...the talent is really adding up now!

Chan's supposed specialty is working with physically talented QBs, to which we've added Thigpen, Young, and now Jackson - none of whom improved one bit since they arrived.

3 guys who were reserves, moving on to their 3rd teams.

Maybe we can bring in Charlie Whitehurst and Brady Quinn, so he can fail with them too.

Yeah, the defense has been a trainwreck, but Chan's own failures with the offense cannot be ignored.

A bad year for the offense, no doubt. Some of those are in his control, some are not.

On the other hand, they've scored 24 or more points in 5 games this year.

You know how many seasonsthey've scored 24 or more points 5 or more times under Jauron?

Once.

cookie G
11-06-2012, 01:34 PM
I'm not saying that Chan isn't a good offensive mind. I'm saying he screwed up by hitching his wagon to Fitzpatrick.

Do you REALLY think his hands are tied? If Chan tells Buddy that Fitz sucks and he can't win with him, then that should be their number one priority. Do you think Buddy gives Fitz a huge extension without Chan's endorsement?

Either they're not on the same page or Chan WAY overvalued Fitz. Either one isn't good.

And besides, like someone else pointed out, it's also Chan's responsibility to field a competent defensive team. If he can't do it, then bare minimum it's his responsibility to find someone who can.

He's failed on both counts there.

He didn't "hitch his star" to Fitz, he inherited him. As a back up.

gebobs
11-06-2012, 01:40 PM
And inherited Edwards, re-annointing him as the starter. Yeah, Gailey is a genius. :rolleyes:

IlluminatusUIUC
11-06-2012, 01:43 PM
He could have signed Peyton Manning? Traded for Rivers? Moved up in the draft for Luck or RGIII?

3 guys who were reserves, moving on to their 3rd teams.

Maybe we can bring in Charlie Whitehurst and Brady Quinn, so he can fail with them too.

Lest we forget, the entire justification for hiring Gailey was that he was a QB guy who could win with the likes of Kordell Stewart and such. One cannot hype that up as an accomplishment and then complain that he only has bum QBs. Training them up is supposed to be his strength! If he can't win without a Rivers/Manning/Luck/RGIII, then how the hell is he an offensive genius? Complete clods like Jim Caldwell won with QBs of that caliber.

Ok, he was given one guy. Awesome.

A top 10 pick that he supposedly begged for and then can't figure out how to use.

He sat a rookie WR with 2 years of college starting experience for 3 games? Good god.

Trading away Lynch added what talent to the offense?

You think these moves are being made without his consent? If that's the case then he's a completely useless figurehead, and I fail to see the point in naming him head coach.

A bad year for the offense, no doubt. Some of those are in his control, some are not.

On the other hand, they've scored 24 or more points in 5 games this year.

You know how many seasonsthey've scored 24 or more points 5 or more times under Jauron?

Once.

Is the offense better than Jauron's? Yes. Is the team better? The results say no.

cookie G
11-06-2012, 02:52 PM
And inherited Edwards, re-annointing him as the starter. Yeah, Gailey is a genius. :rolleyes:

And benched him after 2 games. Sorry he didn't move fast enough for you.

cookie G
11-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Lest we forget, the entire justification for hiring Gailey was that he was a QB guy who could win with the likes of Kordell Stewart and such. One cannot hype that up as an accomplishment and then complain that he only has bum QBs. Training them up is supposed to be his strength! If he can't win without a Rivers/Manning/Luck/RGIII, then how the hell is he an offensive genius? Complete clods like Jim Caldwell won with QBs of that caliber.

Offensive genius Mike Shanahan isn't winning WITH RGIII, and offensive genius Norv Turner isn't winning WITH Rivers, much less without them.

Sorry, late round success stories in the QB position don't come around very often. A Brady, a Romo, a Warner come around a few times a decade. IF you get lucky with them, fine, but you can buy Powerball tickets too and hope to make a living at it.

The vast majority of franchise QB's come in the 1st round, and have of them end up missing. Even the NFL "geniuses" know this.

But fine, you want to say, "Why can't we get more than 24 points a game out of an NFL journeyman, surrounded by less than journeyman talent" or "why can't you get mileage out of these 2 time losers"

well, maybe that's why this team has been as bad as it has been for years.

A top 10 pick that he supposedly begged for and then can't figure out how to use.

One guy, that's awesome.

You think these moves are being made without his consent? If that's the case then he's a completely useless figurehead, and I fail to see the point in naming him head coach.

Bill Parcells, winner of 2 SB's, publicly complained about not having input over the draft selections.

His line was, "if I'm going to be cooking the food, shouldn't I at least have some say over choosing the groceries?"

He wouldn't take another coaching job unless he got to be GM.

Useless figurehead.

Is the offense better than Jauron's? Yes. Is the team better? The results say no.

Well, when you dump all of your assets on defense and they give up 31 points a game...

X-Era
11-06-2012, 03:56 PM
You admit that he neglected the most important position in the game, yet still think he's a good coach?

That doesn't really make sense.
Didn't Parcell's say that it was like making dinner but he didn't get to shop for the groceries?

Mr. Pink
11-06-2012, 04:33 PM

Yet he's still sticking to Fitzpatrick who's also a bum.

He inherited the guy true, but he's in year 3 now where he could have done something by now to replace him or get his own guy from the get go. He has done neither so at this point, Fitz is no longer just a guy he inherited, Fitz is Chan's guy. If he wasn't, he would be gone by now or sitting on the bench.

BertSquirtgum
11-06-2012, 04:48 PM
Buddy Nix.

bills_7
11-06-2012, 05:14 PM

You have my respect.

Really? i would hope any coach would work his ass off for the team and he still sucks and has no ability to adjust in an in-game situaion and goes way to by the book and doesnt go with gut feelings/instincts

cookie G
11-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Yet he's still sticking to Fitzpatrick who's also a bum.

He inherited the guy true, but he's in year 3 now where he could have done something by now to replace him or get his own guy from the get go. He has done neither so at this point, Fitz is no longer just a guy he inherited, Fitz is Chan's guy. If he wasn't, he would be gone by now or sitting on the bench.

I love the logic. The guy in charge of personnel refuses to draft a QB for 3 years.

But it is the coaches' fault because the reserve QB he inherited is "his guy". Peggy Bundy logic.

Peg: Al I want a computer.
Al: We're not getting a computer.
Peg: But we need a computer.
Al: We're not getting a computer.
Peg: I don't know what a computer does, I'm not even sure what a computer is, I just know I want one!
Al: Then why do you want one?
Peg: Fine, if you won't go, I'll take Steve next door to help me.
Steve: Al, the guy tried to sell me a $2,000 computer at retail rate...but I talked him into giving me $200 off on this $3000 computer.
Al: I did NOT want a computer!

A week later....

Peg: I'm tired of sitting around the house looking at Al's computer...I'm going out and getting something for me.

Maybe if this team could go more than 2 years of:

-Picking the best looking model from the Annual Defensive Back Swimsuit Edition;
-drafting one first round RB to replace the previous first round RB;
-drafting the "necessary piece" to the latest new-and-improved defensive scheme..

then maybe...just maybe, this team would have its franchise QB.

Or 2.

Mr. Pink
11-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Because Chan can't tell the guy in charge of personnel "Look this guy I inherited sucks and I can't win with him?"

Because Chan can't just bench Fitzpatrick and play Pigpen?

Because Chan can't just tell Fitzpatrick you're no longer suiting up for me?

2 1/2 years later, Fitz is still the QB and the offense is STILL tailored around him.

kishoph
11-07-2012, 03:38 AM

This is true, but Gailey continues to try and make Fitz the QB that he's not. The team needs to shift away from this spread formation, passing attack offense and try for more of a ball control, (2 back/2 TE) offense geared towards the running game that will utilize the strengths of our RB's and O-Line and not rely on out weakness, at QB. As cliche as it is, use the run game to set up the passing game.

gebobs
11-07-2012, 07:57 AM
He sure didn't. Anyone with more than half a brain knew Edwards was a chump.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Offensive genius Mike Shanahan isn't winning WITH RGIII, and offensive genius Norv Turner isn't winning WITH Rivers, much less without them.

Shanahan has had RGIII for a whopping 9 games. And I don't know what your standard is of "winning" for Norv, but he's never had a losing record with Rivers despite being a horrendous coach.

Sorry, late round success stories in the QB position don't come around very often. A Brady, a Romo, a Warner come around a few times a decade. IF you get lucky with them, fine, but you can buy Powerball tickets too and hope to make a living at it.

The vast majority of franchise QB's come in the 1st round, and have of them end up missing. Even the NFL "geniuses" know this.

Yes, absolutely. But why is this relevant? Again, Chan's supposed "genius" is in developing QBs.

But fine, you want to say, "Why can't we get more than 24 points a game out of an NFL journeyman, surrounded by less than journeyman talent" or "why can't you get mileage out of these 2 time losers"

well, maybe that's why this team has been as bad as it has been for years.

I'm not sure where you're getting 24 points a game, because we're at 22.5 right now - and that includes 16 points we've scored on special teams and defense. 22.5 is exactly league average for a team that's been somewhat fortunate with offensive injuries. Nelson is the only skill position player who's missed significant time up to now. While its admirable that he dragged this team from garbage to average, he has under-utilizes the talent he does have. Right now, we've got two dedicated blocking tight ends and a fullback on the roster, yet we run a horizontal spread offense. Complain about the journeymen all you want, maybe he shouldn't lean on them so much.

Bill Parcells, winner of 2 SB's, publicly complained about not having input over the draft selections.

His line was, "if I'm going to be cooking the food, shouldn't I at least have some say over choosing the groceries?"

He wouldn't take another coaching job unless he got to be GM.

Useless figurehead.

Parcells was overridden by Bob Kraft, not the Pats' GM. And the issue was about finding weapons FOR the franchise QB rather than finding a franchise QB himself. If Chan is in there asking for a QB and they are instead drafting Dareus and Gilmore, then yes, he's a useless figurehead. I like Dareus and Gilmore a lot, but QBs are so much more important I would trade them both today to get one.

Well, when you dump all of your assets on defense and they give up 31 points a game...

Wanny was a good ol' boy hire from their time together at Miami. Why doesn't Chan get a share of the blame for bringing him in, then?

justasportsfan
11-07-2012, 09:39 AM
Chan thought he could win with Fitz. After looking at Fitz's nos. last year , Chan most likely thought that all he had to do was bring down Fitz's TO's , run the ball , having a great D and all will be dandy.

Little did he know that the D would suck and that our offense would have to depend on Fitz throwing the ball again when the team is behind because the D sucks.

Chan is an idiot if he hasn't realized yet that you need to a qb who can hit deep balls when teams stack the short to medium game. Teams already know that you DARE Fitz's to beat them with the deep ball.

trapezeus
11-07-2012, 11:26 AM
what is the argument in this thread again? everyone is making good points, but i sense a bit of "i'm right, you are wrong" tone. i think everyone is nailing it.

plain and simple:

1. players are underperforming
2. coaching isn't fixing it or helping correct it.
3. some positions aren't up to snuff for hte scheme they are runnig. it could be marginally better if they changed to the skill set of the tema.
4, it also could be worse.

all that leads up to no playoffs and the standard of just IR everyone after week8 and getting no names to fill in the spots, has grown tired. you can't step in dog **** and replace the laces. usually you need new shoes. the bills need new shoes and that means starting with russ and everyone on down needs to go.

djjimkelly
11-07-2012, 02:25 PM
My favorite stat ever that I was able to find was how the Bills are the only team that doesn't have a 1st and 2nd round pick devoted to the TE/WR/QB position. That's a joke. We have seen what Gailey can do with marginal talent. It isn't great, but it isn't bad either. Unfortunately, it just isn't good enough. I guess what I'm trying to say is Gailey has proven he can do more with less, but his more isn't good enough at the NFL level. Maybe, if we gave him someone not from Harvard or a bunch of undrafted Rudy-like WRs, the offense would be better. So, when fans are angry that Chan is still here after week 17, the Bills will declare they are looking for a highly touted college QB, which will make all the draft prognosticators in Buffalo have a hard-on and forget Gailey just lost more games than Jauron.

http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/4-reasons-why-the-bills-shouldn-t-fire-gailey.html

gailey actually gets it he just needs more talent

i think 2013 we get a 1st round qb i count only 4 teams in nfl dont have qb in place like us

Typ0
11-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Last week after the game Chan said the Texans didn't run the defense they expected them to run so the offense didn't know what to do. That is all I needed to hear to put the nail in the coffin. That he's even on the sidelines this week is a travesty.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Last week after the game Chan said the Texans didn't run the defense they expected them to run so the offense didn't know what to do. That is all I needed to hear to put the nail in the coffin. That he's even on the sidelines this week is a travesty.

Can you imagine how rude they were to change their defense and try to confuse the QB? Thank god we are too civilized to try that.

Savages.

Typ0
11-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Chan should be a golf coach or something...

jimmifli
11-07-2012, 03:13 PM
He sure didn't. Anyone with more than half a brain knew Edwards was a chump.

Nix tells him to make do with what he's got. Those are his guys.
Chan knows he's ****, but if he puts Trent on the bench he'll be on the team for a few seasons.
So he starts him to prove a point. Benches him after EVERYBODY knows he's **** and tells Nix the bum will never see the field again.

There's no way a GM is cutting his starting QB 2 weeks into the season if the coach had wanted him on the team in the preseason.

gebobs
11-07-2012, 10:05 PM
Nix tells him to make do with what he's got. Those are his guys.
Chan knows he's ****, but if he puts Trent on the bench he'll be on the team for a few seasons.
So he starts him to prove a point. Benches him after EVERYBODY knows he's **** and tells Nix the bum will never see the field again.
I see. Everything is evidence that Chan's a genius. Even when he lays an egg. Gotcha.

You people don't understand. Gailey is a moron. He was an utter failure at GaTech. He is an utter failure with the Bills. He sucks.

Just keep reminding yourself. 2-12. 2-12. 2-12.

Son to be 2-16. 2-16. 2-16.

There's no way a GM is cutting his starting QB 2 weeks into the season if the coach had wanted him on the team in the preseason.
He was only the starter because Chan made him the starter. He was benched for the last 7 games of 2009. As of the end of the season, Fitz was the starter.

The Jokeman
11-08-2012, 12:50 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Of course it's immaterial to point out that he's been a downgrade since the last regime, which he most certainly has, because it doesn't fit your argument.

Marc Ross, Kevin Gilbride and Perry Fewell are all doing pretty good job with the Giants.

coastal
11-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Hey Gil... How'd Buddy's rebuilt D do today?