PDA

View Full Version : Has CJ even been ON THE FIELD in the red zone??

MikeInRoch
11-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Seriously. I don't recall him being out there in the red zone for a single play. WTF?

kishoph
11-15-2012, 09:42 PM
He gets too excited in the red zone and on 3rd downs. i know overkill.

Novacane
11-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Gailey is an idiot

BLeonard
11-15-2012, 10:31 PM
Gailey has Tashard Choice in his fantasy league...

-Bill

YardRat
11-15-2012, 10:34 PM
I don't think Gailey believes Spiller can run on short fields. And WTF was the deal with CJ playing the first two downs every drive, then taking a breather? Jesus Christ, no wonder they couldn't really get any momentum.

JoeMama
11-15-2012, 10:34 PM
Oh, sure, like CJ Spiller could gain a whole yard to convert in the red zone.

That's why you bring in a SLAM DUNK like Tashard Choice.

He wasn't fourth string in Dallas a few years ago for nothing. He's a superstar.

sam5767
11-16-2012, 03:56 AM
Yeah...I was thinking the same thing. Remember the sideline shot right before halftime...when there was 6 seconds left....they showed Spiller putting on his helmet as if he was going in....but then he didn't...WTF?? I really think Gailey tries to be too clever at times. The play calling stunk tonight...thank god the D stepped it up.

TrEd FTW
11-16-2012, 04:02 AM
Gailey is an absolute disgrace.

jamze132
11-16-2012, 04:05 AM
I thought Spiller had way too many breathers tonight, if that's what they were. I think what Gailey was trying to do was keep Spiller fresh by giving Choice a good number of plays. Basically Gailey gave Jackson's role to Spiller and Spiller's role to Choice. I'm sorry but Spiller needs to stay on the field for 3rd downs. He creates matchup problems and the defense has to account for him. They do not have to do any of that for Choice.

kishoph
11-16-2012, 05:14 AM
I thought Spiller had way too many breathers tonight, if that's what they were. I think what Gailey was trying to do was keep Spiller fresh by giving Choice a good number of plays. Basically Gailey gave Jackson's role to Spiller and Spiller's role to Choice. I'm sorry but Spiller needs to stay on the field for 3rd downs. He creates matchup problems and the defense has to account for him. They do not have to do any of that for Choice.

I have nothing against Spiller getting a breather, but it needs to be at the right time. Out of 11 redzone plays Spiller touched the ball once and it seemed like he was always taken out on 3rd down. At the end of the 1st half he was on the sidelines for the last 6 plays, when they had a good chance to build a decent lead. At very least he should be in there to draw attention from the defense, the defense needs to respect the run when he's in there and if goes out for a pass he's more than likely gonna take a LB and a safety with him. Also doing things like having an empty backfield on a 3rd and 1 is just stupid, why would you not make the defense respect the threat to run.

Typ0
11-16-2012, 05:53 AM
in the presser after the game Gailey said CJ gets tired ...

don137
11-16-2012, 07:04 AM
I don't buy it that he is so tired he can't get back on the field in the red zone. It's the coach. Another reason why Gailey sucks. Spiller brings the team down field and then goes out for multiple plays in the red zone and they end up with a FG. Gailey does not know how to play to win. If Spiller was in game in red zone they would of had at least one more TD maybe two. You don't take your best player out in the red zone.

DraftBoy
11-16-2012, 07:13 AM

And that is horse****.

Mahdi
11-16-2012, 07:26 AM
Can someone count how many redzone snaps we had and how many of those CJ was involved in? Would be interesting to see because I felt he was out for too many critical downs.

DraftBoy
11-16-2012, 07:29 AM
Can someone count how many redzone snaps we had and how many of those CJ was involved in? Would be interesting to see because I felt he was out for too many critical downs.

Somebody earlier said he had only one touch in the redzone. I know that's not everything you wanted.

Mahdi
11-16-2012, 07:33 AM
Somebody earlier said he had only one touch in the redzone. I know that's not everything you wanted.

If that's accurate its pretty shocking. I don't care if CJ is winded, run him out to the flat and force the LB and safety to respect it then throw to Chandler. No one cares where Choice goes.

kishoph
11-16-2012, 07:34 AM

In the NFL Network's interview, Spiller did say he got winded, but also said he could of ran it 30 times.

OpIv37
11-16-2012, 08:21 AM
Spiller's only been in the league for 2 1/2 seasons. That's not enough time to learn Chan's system. He and Tarvaris Jackson need to sit on the sidelines to watch and learn.

DraftBoy
11-16-2012, 09:48 AM
If that's accurate its pretty shocking. I don't care if CJ is winded, run him out to the flat and force the LB and safety to respect it then throw to Chandler. No one cares where Choice goes.

Just went through the PBP, I counted 12 RZ snaps with 1 CJ touch. Howard Simon said on Twitter it was 11 RZ snaps, either way, seeing the ball less the 10% of those snaps is INEXCUSABLE.

imbondz
11-16-2012, 09:57 AM
first Spiller doesn't get enough touches, last night he got the touches, but now he's not in the game at the most important times. beyond frustrating.

Mahdi
11-16-2012, 10:01 AM
Just went through the PBP, I counted 12 RZ snaps with 1 CJ touch. Howard Simon said on Twitter it was 11 RZ snaps, either way, seeing the ball less the 10% of those snaps is INEXCUSABLE.

Wow. That is bad. I expect better from Gailey. For some reason he feels the need to baby this kid.

Typ0
11-16-2012, 05:28 PM
he doesn't want him to get hurt he's worth too much in a trade...

ghz in pittsburgh
11-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Watching the tape a bit today, I believe the Dolphins really keyed on Spiller. At least two LBs within 2 yards of scrimmage all game when Spiller was in and one shadowed Spiller following the snap. Also, with Spiller not ripping through long runs, he was hit a lot. To his credit, he no longer went down after contact, but still a hit is a hit. And like all the same TYPE of player before him, Spiller is not someone you want to take a lot of hits.

Before you guys rip Gailey apart on his usage of Spiller, just think of this: the way Gailey is using Spiller so far, Spiller is having great success. Why are we so key on changing it?

YardRat
11-18-2012, 12:30 AM
Watching the tape a bit today, I believe the Dolphins really keyed on Spiller. At least two LBs within 2 yards of scrimmage all game when Spiller was in and one shadowed Spiller following the snap. Also, with Spiller not ripping through long runs, he was hit a lot. To his credit, he no longer went down after contact, but still a hit is a hit. And like all the same TYPE of player before him, Spiller is not someone you want to take a lot of hits.

Before you guys rip Gailey apart on his usage of Spiller, just think of this: the way Gailey is using Spiller so far, Spiller is having great success. Why are we so key on changing it?

Because it still ends up with the team losing at least twice as many games as it wins?

Mr. Pink
11-18-2012, 01:21 AM
I don't understand why CJ isn't in there between the 20 and the 5...I do get why he's not in there inside the 5 though.

He's not a tough physical inside runner, which is what's required when you get into short yardage situations.

kishoph
11-18-2012, 03:11 AM

Even as recent as his post game interview with the NFL Network, Spiller talked about wanting to answer his critics and show he can carry the load. (see video below). BTW, coming into Thursday's game Spiller led the league in yards after contact, I'm not sure of the exact number, but it was over 4 yards.
Why things have to change is, when you have a player that has proven he can produce, you use him. Saying that he was winded or tired or you don't want him to get hurt, are not legitimate excuses to have a star offensive player getting the ball once out of 11-12 plays in the redzone. Also Gailey saying that he wanted Choice in there for protection, because they were going to be throwing the ball, is as lame as it gets, Spiller did an excellent job pass protecting against Cameron Wake the other night. That also made me think, why the **** would you match up only your RB against Wake so many times ? Fortunately for Fitz, Spiller did a great job, because that was a recipe for disaster. People still have this image that Spiller is some wispy little scat back, he is not, besides you don't have to be 6'1" 215 lbs to be durable, Chris Johnson is smaller than Spiller and has 60+ more carries than him.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000095719/C-J-Spiller-steps-on-the-set-after-win

YardRat
11-18-2012, 08:29 AM
I don't understand why CJ isn't in there between the 20 and the 5...I do get why he's not in there inside the 5 though.

He's not a tough physical inside runner, which is what's required when you get into short yardage situations.

Which makes FJ the better, more complete back...still. Now, granted that, for example the screen play from the NE game where CJ was caught dead to rights for an immediate loss and somehow juked his way to a positive gain, Freddie is not going to be able to make that play probably even once if given 100 chances, but there isn't a situation during the game where Jackson can't be on the field, and he has made plays in all of them. You can't say that about Spiller.

trapezeus
11-19-2012, 07:44 AM
last time i remember him touching the ball in the red zone was the game 1 pats fumble that essentially turned the game.

not that that is reason to keep him out when there isn't a better RB like Fred to do the heavy lifting.