X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alnilla
    • Dec 2008

Interesting sack stat

The Bills sent four or fewer pass rushers on 93.5 percent (29 of 31) of dropbacks Thursday, their highest percentage in a game this season. All three of the Bills' sacks against the Dolphins and 82.6 percent (19 of 23) of their sacks this season have come when sending standard pressure, the second-highest percentage in the league for a team that has at least 20 sacks.
  • mjt328
    • May 2011

Re: Interesting sack stat

What that shows is that even after the 9 weeks of being the WORST DEFENSE IN FOOTBALL, Wannstedt has stubbornly refused to alter his scheme/gameplan.

This team lives and dies by the Front 4 pass rush.
    Most of the season, they have been awful. Last night, they were spectacular.

Will they be that good every single week?
    They better, because Wannstedt isn't going to change anything.
    2013 "My Should Have" Draft
    Posted During the 2013 Draft
    1 - (16): Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
    2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
    2 - (46): Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
    3 - (78): Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
    4 - (105): Barrett Jones, OG, Alabama
    5 - (143): Brandon Jenkins, LB, Florida State
    6 - (177): Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
    7 - (222): Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee

2013 Buddy Nix Draft
    1 - (16): E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
    2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
    2 - (46): Kiko Alonso, LB, Oregon
    3 - (78): Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas
    4 - (105): Duke Williams, FS, Nevada
    5 - (143): Jonathan Meeks, SS, Clemson
    6 - (177): Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State
    7 - (222): Chris Gragg, TE, Arkansas

Comment

• ServoBillieves
      The Voice of Reason
      • Jul 2007

That's actually an incredibly interesting statistic. If we want to win this upcoming week we'll have to scare the hell out of Andrew Luck. That would entail sending 4+ on blitzes.
      Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• TigerJ
        • Jul 2002

I agree, that is a very interesting stat. The problem is that when you're depending on your personnel to get pressure on the QB, rather than scheming blitzes, you pretty much have no upside. The personnel is not going to get better, at least not much. Maybe Kyle Moore develops some, Shawn Merriman really is not over the hill and can get a bit better as his confidence grows, and maybe a healthy Mark Anderson can finally do something, but Mario Williams and Chris Kelsay are who they are. When you use a blitz package your ability to be creative can keep the offnese of the other team guessing about where the pressure is going to come from. The only upside that the Bills have in terms of creating more pressure is from improved play from their secondary. Gilmore is still young, and shows flashes of maybe developing into the lockdown cornerback we've needed forever. Aaron Williams on the other hand has been a huge disappointment. I don't know if he can improve. There's also Ron Brooks. He's behind in his development but may be a factor next year. If Buffalo retains Wannstedt and a vanilla 4-3 scheme in the 2013 season, just maybe better secondary play will allow Buffalo to get more coverage sacks. It may also be that if Wnnstedt develops some confidence in his young secondary, he may opt for more man coverage to free up personnel for blitzing.
        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• tatersalad
          • Apr 2008

can't teach a dog new tricks 11 weeks into season

Comment

• EricStratton
            • Jul 2002

Not to compare the two teams but this has been the Giants formula for years, get pressure from the front 4 and let the DB's and LB's cover the field.

It works if the personnel makes it work.

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by EricStratton View Post
              Not to compare the two teams but this has been the Giants formula for years, get pressure from the front 4 and let the DB's and LB's cover the field.

It works if the personnel makes it work.
              With one large caveat, the Giants use innovation formations, alignments, and packages to confuse OL, we do not.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Buckets
                • Jun 2003

I see a trend here, maybe we should only rush two.

Comment

Working...
                X