PDA

View Full Version : NFL Teams are NOT RUNNING ENOUGH!

mjt328
11-16-2012, 08:54 AM
The final stat line says that CJ Spiller had 22 carries, but watching the game - it was clear that he still didn't get the ball enough.
He was the only effective player on offense, and our limiting his touches (especially in the red zone) could have cost us the game.

As much as I want to criticize Gailey, I have noticed this as a trend across the league. I've watched a lot of football this year... not just Buffalo. Teams are just not running the ball enough.

Spiller is only a small example.

In Philadelphia, we keep hearing the media talk about how much Michael Vick is turning the ball over. But did you know that LeSean McCoy has only topped 20 carries in THREE games this season? He's easily one of the best players in the league and SHOULD be carrying that offense. But even when you add in his catches, he still touches the ball less than half of the amount of times they are throwing the ball around with Vick. In Baltimore and Chicago, Ray Rice and Matt Forte have only TWO games with 20 or more carries each. I don't even want to mention Jamal Charles. I've seen him play twice this year. He had 6 carries in the game against us, and 5 carries in a game I watched against the Raiders. After the Oakland game, Crennel said he "didn't know" why Charles wasn't getting the ball more. That is PATHETIC.

Everybody keeps saying "this is a passing league now."

WHY?

Because the Goodell and the NFL wants more excitement and higher scoring games?
Because teams like Green Bay and New England have found great success and won championships without running the ball a lot?

It's not like the NFL rules prohibit teams from gaining yards or scoring points with the run now. The running game could be just as effective as it was 10-20 years ago.
It's these idiotic coaches that make the DECISION to throw 35-50 times, and run it 15-20 times.

Sure, games might be lower scoring by running the ball. Yards and points come at a slower pace. But running the ball lowers the chance for turnovers, wears down the opposing defense, builds momentum and helps keep a team's defense fresh.

And besides... on most of the teams that I mentioned... the running back is the BEST PLAYER ON THE OFFENSE!!!! Why do these coaches refuse to get their best players the ball more than once or twice a drive?