PDA

View Full Version : Inside Slant II

imbondz
07-09-2003, 01:44 AM
Bills Inside Slant (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/Bills/home.htm)

The trade of Peerless Price to Atlanta left Josh Reed feeling melancholy.
Price was a willing teacher during the 2002 season when Reed was a rookie and learning the NFL ropes. Still, Reed would be lying if he said Price's departure wasn't a colossal career break for himself...More (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/Bills/home.htm)

NOTES, QUOTES, ANECDOTES

—Has coach Gregg Williams' third training camp gone Club Med? Well, not exactly, but scheduling circumstances will make a huge dent in the amount of on-field practice time the Bills log this summer at St. John Fisher College in Rochester, N.Y. The Bills are scheduled for only two double-sessions during their 29-day stay. The reason? The Bills travel to Cleveland July 31-Aug. 1 for two days of work with the Browns, then are away for two preseason games (Aug. 9 at Baltimore, Aug. 16 at Tennessee). Furthermore, the team has scaled back its workouts the week of Aug. 11-17 to help cut down on traffic at nearby Oak Hill Country Club, which is hosting the PGA Championship.

Jan Reimers
07-09-2003, 07:21 AM
We're scaling back much needed workouts because of a golf tournament?

Pride
07-09-2003, 08:21 AM
my thoughts exactly.

sounds like greg has finally admitted that pushing your players to the point of exhaustion doesnt work come week 12.

BillsNYC
07-09-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Pride
my thoughts exactly.

sounds like greg has finally admitted that pushing your players to the point of exhaustion doesnt work come week 12.

oh yes it does. remember that game in san diego when it was flutie vs. johnson? the only reason the bills were in that game til the end was cuz the chargers were sucking for air in the 4th quarter and the bills were still solid and williams was yelling to his players "see? all that hard work in training camp is paying off...those guys are sucking wind over there!"

granted we lost...but we were heavily outmatched...

Doc
07-09-2003, 09:17 AM
Heavily outmatched because the Bills were fighting the Chargers AND the refs. That taunting call on Moorman near the end of the game was unbelievable and probably cost them the game.

Billsbabee
07-09-2003, 09:52 AM
We have to cut back our schedule and compromise (possibly) some of our season or chances for injuries for a golf tourney? Excuse me but the Bills are all about WNY, can the same be said for this PGA thing?! :cynic:

SoCalBillsFan
07-09-2003, 10:18 AM
hot bout the fact that we had very few injuries last year? I think a lot of that was because of good consitioning in camp last year and all the hard work, I hope he hasnt gone soft.

justasportsfan
07-09-2003, 10:39 AM
Thurman said that the Bills camp was a resort compared to the fins camp. The fins have been known to have injuries towards the end of the season on a consistent basis. The time the bills had a very rugged camp was GW's first year. As a result, we were the most injured team in the NFL that year. This is why GW decided to go the other route.

BillsNYC
07-09-2003, 11:03 AM
I think last year he found the proper medium though

ArcticWildMan
07-09-2003, 01:27 PM
The reason the Fins fade every December is because they run out of gas thanks to their torturous training camp routine.

I don't have any problem with a lighter work load during training camp. It seems to keep injuries down and the energy level up.

What really makes the difference is how the players keep themselves in condition during the offseason. If a player comes into camp in shape, you don't need "2 a days".

MDFINFAN
07-09-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
The reason the Fins fade every December is because they run out of gas thanks to their torturous training camp routine.

I don't have any problem with a lighter work load during training camp. It seems to keep injuries down and the energy level up.

What really makes the difference is how the players keep themselves in condition during the offseason. If a player comes into camp in shape, you don't need "2 a days".

That's not exactly true, Wanny does training with other teams to cut down on practices and a change of scenary, and he schedules a lot of night practices. Go figure you guys loose to the Chargers and we beat them 30-3, then lose to you. Is there no justice...:flow:

Buckets
07-09-2003, 03:00 PM
All I can say is Marv never believed in killing the guys in training camp and his record speaks for itself

ryven
07-09-2003, 03:14 PM
Um we beat the chargers 20-13

BillsNYC
07-09-2003, 03:54 PM
we beat the chargers last year...lost to them the year before. lets all make sure we are discussing the right seasons...

imbondz
07-09-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Thurman said that the Bills camp was a resort compared to the fins camp. The fins have been known to have injuries towards the end of the season on a consistent basis. The time the bills had a very rugged camp was GW's first year. As a result, we were the most injured team in the NFL that year. This is why GW decided to go the other route.

yeah but he was also old when he played for Miami. :chuckle:

so, it could've been the same workout