PDA

View Full Version : Man found dead after game

alnilla
11-16-2012, 10:17 AM
A 26-year-old Rochester-area man who went missing from Thursday night’s Buffalo Bills game was found dead near the stadium early this morning, authorities said.

The man was found face down in Smoke’s Creek near Shadow Lane.

Authorities said the man’s brother reported to law enforcement that the brother had been ejected from the game, apparently for being intoxicated, and that he couldn’t find him after the game.

Law enforcement were able to get a “ping” off the missing man’s cell phone to help locate him.

The Erie County Sheriff’s helicopter was called in at 5:25 a.m. today to assist in the search for the missing man, authorities said.

Air One’s services were called off at about 7:20 a.m.

The incident was under investigation by the Orchard Park police.

http://buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121116/CITYANDREGION/121119402/1002

TigerJ
11-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Odd. It doesn't necessarily mean foul play was involved. He could have drunk himself into a coma and died of exposure, I suppose.

BertSquirtgum
11-16-2012, 10:45 AM
He was found in a creek. First thing that came to mind was that he fell down the embankment, passed out, and froze to death. No matter the case, it's very sad and my prayers go out to the family.

BertSquirtgum
11-16-2012, 10:47 AM
What really bothers me is why the Police waited until this morning to ping his cell phone? Incompetence in my opinion.

OpIv37
11-16-2012, 10:50 AM
What really bothers me is why the Police waited until this morning to ping his cell phone? Incompetence in my opinion.

Not necessarily. First, who knows what time the man actually reported his brother missing? He probably looked on his own for a few hours first. No one calls the police the second someone doesn't answer the first phone call. Second, the phone companies are asshats about pinging cell phones, even when the police are involved. We had a situation where my brother went missing a few years ago, and it took us hours to get the phone company to ping his cell even with the police calling them.

BertSquirtgum
11-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Definitely a high possibility.

Skooby
11-16-2012, 10:57 AM
I was going to do a over / under on the arrests but this is just a terrible situation.

MikeInRoch
11-16-2012, 11:13 AM
We don't know completely what happened yet - however, I'd struggle feeling too sorry if he died because he was intoxicated and passed out someplace that ended up killing him.

MikeInRoch
11-16-2012, 11:27 AM
The sad part is that no one will hear about this and say "Gee, maybe I shouldn't get tanked at a Bills game and be an asshat and get kicked out."

Skooby
11-16-2012, 11:39 AM
A 26 year old guy dying isn't right in any situation, especially if he was a Bills fan.

MikeInRoch
11-16-2012, 11:40 AM
It isn't right - but it's even wronger if it was because he was stupid and it was preventable.

SabreEleven
11-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Sounds like a big time Wing man fail. Got kicked out of the stadium drunk off his all and then ass by himself for a while (hours?) outside the stadium. Somebody should have went with him but they were probably drunk off their ass themselves.

OpIv37
11-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Sounds like a big time Wing man fail. Got kicked out of the stadium drunk off his all and then ass by himself for a while (hours?) outside the stadium. Somebody should have went with him but they were probably drunk off their ass themselves.

either that or they didn't want to miss the game because their idiot friend couldn't hold his booze. Of course, they probably feel terrible about that choice today...

djjimkelly
11-16-2012, 01:02 PM
this is very very sad if he was that intoxicated the be thrown out why not hold him in the drunk tank. im sure the ralph has a drunk tank

OpIv37
11-16-2012, 01:20 PM
this is very very sad if he was that intoxicated the be thrown out why not hold him in the drunk tank. im sure the ralph has a drunk tank

I'm pretty sure it doesn't, because if it did I could name at least 10 people on this board who would have stories about it....

ServoBillieves
11-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Rest In Peace. That's all that should answer this thread. I hope his family and friends are holding up OK.

HAMMER
11-16-2012, 04:03 PM
It isn't right - but it's even wronger if it was because he was stupid and it was preventable.

Wronger and stupid in the same sentence, coincidence?

BADTHINGSMAN
11-16-2012, 04:47 PM
http://www.13wham.com/news/local/story/Man-Found-Dead-After-Bills-Game-Reportedly-From/j-qEOmYY3kqOKPchcbZcrg.cspx

A local article about the guy.

Typ0
11-16-2012, 04:56 PM
alcoholism kills another. Poor guy...

coastal
11-16-2012, 05:00 PM
I blame Russ Brandon.

BertSquirtgum
11-16-2012, 05:05 PM

Young people make mistakes. You are a piece of ****.

Typ0
11-16-2012, 05:23 PM
this is a tragic story. The guy was too drunk headed to the bar and turned right when he should have turned left because downhill looked better than uphill. He proceeded to fall into a ravine bumping his head and submersing himself in water. I hate to say this...but us drunks know how stupid and degrading some of the **** we did while drinking truly is...and how it's a miracle we can change our mental state and not drink any more. Let's not argue. This man is a casualty to alcoholism a disease that kills many...

MikeInRoch
11-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Wronger and stupid in the same sentence, coincidence?

Well,

a) I was trying to match what was said in the previous post, and

b) It's in the dictionary.

So nothing stupid about it at all.

MikeInRoch
11-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Young people make mistakes. You are a piece of ****.

Spoken like someone else who thinks it's a great idea to get liquored up to the point of not being able to walk straight.

BertSquirtgum
11-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Spoken like someone else who thinks it's a great idea to get liquored up to the point of not being able to walk straight.

Wrong *******. I drove my friends who like to drink and made sure everyone made it home safe last night. You are a piece of **** and should have a little more respect for the dead.

MikeInRoch
11-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Wrong *******. I drove my friends who like to drink and made sure everyone made it home safe last night. You are a piece of **** and should have a little more respect for the dead.

I will not have respect for people who killed themselves being stupid. I do feel absolutely terrible for his friends and family.

THRILLHO
11-17-2012, 07:44 AM
I went to high school with him.

Funny how you hear a story about some one dying and you think "that's too bad." Then it turns out you knew them and it changes everything.

ServoBillieves
11-17-2012, 09:24 AM
I went to high school with him.

Funny how you hear a story about some one dying and you think "that's too bad." Then it turns out you knew them and it changes everything.

Sorry to hear Thrill :/

Dude
11-18-2012, 04:09 PM
this is a tragic story. The guy was too drunk headed to the bar and turned right when he should have turned left because downhill looked better than uphill. He proceeded to fall into a ravine bumping his head and submersing himself in water. I hate to say this...but us drunks know how stupid and degrading some of the **** we did while drinking truly is...and how it's a miracle we can change our mental state and not drink any more. Let's not argue. This man is a casualty to alcoholism a disease that kills many...Getting drunk at a Bills game != alcoholism.

Albany,n.y.
11-18-2012, 04:40 PM
There's a story in the Buffalo News. He didn't get thrown out for being too intoxicated & there's nothing to indicate alcoholism. It sounds like the guy, who is a Dolphins fan got into a disagreement with some Bills fans & got tossed. The family has no idea how or why he ended up in a ditch.

Typ0
11-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Getting drunk at a Bills game != alcoholism.

sorry to say Dude pretty good odds...and dying in a ditch? Even better odds. Not normal behavior. Alcoholic behavior. Sorry.

Generalissimus Gibby
11-18-2012, 06:46 PM
May he rest in peace, that's all I will say.

ServoBillieves
11-18-2012, 07:11 PM
There's a story in the Buffalo News. He didn't get thrown out for being too intoxicated & there's nothing to indicate alcoholism. It sounds like the guy, who is a Dolphins fan got into a disagreement with some Bills fans & got tossed. The family has no idea how or why he ended up in a ditch.

Link? Not that it matters or changes anything but I haven't seen that yet.

Dude
11-18-2012, 07:17 PM
sorry to say Dude pretty good odds...and dying in a ditch? Even better odds. Not normal behavior. Alcoholic behavior. Sorry.
So getting drunk at a football game means you're an alcoholic? And because bad decisons were made means he was an alcoholic? You obviously know a lot more about him than the rest of us to be able to make that claim. I know a lot of people who have gotten drunk at football games, including myself, and none of them are alcoholics. It's too bad that ou are taking advantage of a tragic situation to make a blanket assumption about a person you know nothing about.

ckg927
11-18-2012, 07:34 PM
On this week's edition of TSN's The Reporters, host Dave Hodge was all set to give the Bills a thumbs up to the whole experience surrounding the game...it was on national TV, weather was decent, they beat Miami, etc. Hodge added "To a visitor from Toronto, they seemed to be advertising the fact that the proper way to see a Bills game-at Ralph Wilson Stadium-and not at next month's game at the Rogers Centre. But a policeman directing pre-game traffic sounded an omnious warning when eh shook his head and called it his worst game of the season-a night game. And you know what he meant. It was later revealed that an intoxicated fan ejected at halftime was found dead in a creek near the stadium-a reminder of the culture of drunkenness that still pervades the game-day experience. A sad reminder, indeed."

Typ0
11-19-2012, 04:11 PM
So getting drunk at a football game means you're an alcoholic? And because bad decisons were made means he was an alcoholic? You obviously know a lot more about him than the rest of us to be able to make that claim. I know a lot of people who have gotten drunk at football games, including myself, and none of them are alcoholics. It's too bad that ou are taking advantage of a tragic situation to make a blanket assumption about a person you know nothing about.

OK. He got drunk, thrown out of a stadium and died in a ditch...but alcohol is not a problem in his life. I understand.

The King
11-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Sounds like the stadium will see a lawsuit from this. Throw a drunk guy out with no one to release him too, that's going to be a problem.

2slowtogofast
11-19-2012, 08:50 PM
RIP prayers go out to friends and family

gebobs
11-20-2012, 12:39 AM
Sounds like the stadium will see a lawsuit from this. Throw a drunk guy out with no one to release him too, that's going to be a problem.
You may be right but it's not like it doesn't happen a hundred times every Saturday at bars around the city and often in much worse conditions.

NOT THE DUDE...
11-20-2012, 06:12 AM
absurd... not a bad way to go really...

The King
11-20-2012, 08:03 AM
You may be right but it's not like it doesn't happen a hundred times every Saturday at bars around the city and often in much worse conditions.

Those bar owners aren't worth hundreds of millions.

MikeInRoch
11-20-2012, 08:54 AM

Of course they will. A tragedy happens, so look for the deepest pockets. It's repulsive.

gebobs
11-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Those bar owners aren't worth hundreds of millions.
Neither is Erie County.

Albany,n.y.
11-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Link? Not that it matters or changes anything but I haven't seen that yet.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121117/CITYANDREGION/121119251

And although he may have had a couple of beers, he was not intoxicated, his family said. Gerken knew he had to go to work the next day, as a supervisor in a Victor packaging company.

Around halftime, Gerken said he was going to the men’s room. Minutes later, he called his brother on his cellphone and told him he was being thrown out of Ralph Wilson Stadium – and he didn’t know why.

Dude
11-24-2012, 08:38 AM
OK. He got drunk, thrown out of a stadium and died in a ditch...but alcohol is not a problem in his life. I understand.I never said that. His behavior doesn't make him an alcoholic. Stupid, yes. Alcoholic, no.

EricStratton
11-24-2012, 08:52 AM

Him being an adult may absolve the team and stadium on any liability.