PDA

View Full Version : Doug Whaley in Morgan Town

ghz in pittsburgh
11-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Visited a friend of mine in Morgantown today nad guess who I saw in Sargasso early dinner time? Doug Whaley. His is with two guys, one I don't know, the other: Wannstedt!

Whaley might be in town to attend the WVU/OU game. And I thought Wannstedt has an off day. I know both Whaley and Wannstedt maintain their home in Pittsburgh. Maybe Wannstedt just got too bored at home?

kingJofNYC
11-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Via Kevin Weidl

Tavon Austin 432 total yards and 2 TDs through 3 quarters. One GM and two directors in attendance just shaking their heads and laughing.

Whaley's AGM and Director of Player Personnel, so it could be him. Thanks for the info dude.

T-Long
11-17-2012, 10:36 PM
Crazy...was just in Morgantown for a week for work. Damn, I wish it would have been this week!

DraftBoy
11-17-2012, 10:54 PM
Oh so you mean he saw this throw from Geno?

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1753561/genoacc.gif

Just one of a few bucket dropping throws.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-17-2012, 11:10 PM
Oh so you mean he saw this throw from Geno?

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1753561/genoacc.gif

Just one of a few bucket dropping throws.

Jesus. That was Farveian in its daring, accuracy, and stupidity.

DraftBoy
11-17-2012, 11:10 PM
Jesus. That was Farveian in its daring, accuracy, and stupidity.

One of at least three bucket drops Geno had in that game.

YardRat
11-17-2012, 11:47 PM
"Yet the Mountaineers fell in a thriller 50-49 before 50,238. Because of their defense. Again."

Wannstadt must have felt right at home.

kingJofNYC
11-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Geno had problems in the first half, locking on to receivers and not going through his progressions fast enough, also forced a few throws, but he looked so much better in the second half. Some really accurate throws, especially the one to Bailey in the corner of the endzone.

Just needs to go through his progressions better, needs to do a better job reading defenses, but man does he have touch and accuracy when his mechanics are on point.

Can you imagine Austin and Spiller on the same team?

Night Train
11-18-2012, 06:51 AM
Smith and Manuel of Fla. St. have the best skill sets to work with at QB.

They ALL need coaching but upside is evident.

X-Era
11-18-2012, 07:41 AM
He made some incredible throws.

For me it's the mental piece. Can he quickly read defenses, make the right calls, go through progressions... decision making.

DraftBoy
11-18-2012, 08:44 AM
He made some incredible throws.

For me it's the mental piece. Can he quickly read defenses, make the right calls, go through progressions... decision making.

Considering where he was as a Sophomore or even last year and how far he has come I dont see much reason to believe he won't be able to develop that further.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-18-2012, 09:12 AM

That's excellent, but his margin for error was razor thin there.

DraftBoy
11-18-2012, 09:42 AM
That's excellent, but his margin for error was razor thin there.

You should see the corner throw to Bailey for a TD, even more impressive imo.

The Jokeman
11-18-2012, 09:53 AM
So why no talk of Landry Jones' performance in this game? He might not be a top pick in this April's draft but he could still go mid to late 2nd or maybe the 3rd.

mrbojanglezs
11-18-2012, 10:04 AM
draftboy, what is your take on Mike Glennon? I think he is who the Bills could be targeting, they run a similar system to the Bills don't they?

cookie G
11-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Geno had problems in the first half, locking on to receivers and not going through his progressions fast enough, also forced a few throws, but he looked so much better in the second half. Some really accurate throws, especially the one to Bailey in the corner of the endzone.

Just needs to go through his progressions better, needs to do a better job reading defenses, but man does he have touch and accuracy when his mechanics are on point.

Can you imagine Austin and Spiller on the same team?

His accuracy is comparable to Sam Bradford's, and that's meant to be complimentary. Really, as a QB, that's who he reminds me of the most.

As far as the forced throws, it is a part of the learning process. Against Kansas St. for instance, he wasn't forcing throws, but they only scored 13 pts. K -state took away the deep ball on most occasions, but there were times on a replay where you could see where it was there, but he wouldn't take the shot.

I'm sure part of it is that he's used to seeing his WR's with a 5 yard (or more cushion), and it wasn't quite that large.
So in later games, like against TCU, I saw him throwing it into a really tight window.

To me at least, he looks like he'll get there mentally. But unless the Bills are willing to move up, and give up a lot, it won't matter, he won't be there.

DraftBoy
11-18-2012, 10:47 AM
draftboy, what is your take on Mike Glennon? I think he is who the Bills could be targeting, they run a similar system to the Bills don't they?

Rhythm passer that reminds me a lot of Bledsoe. He's under developed with his eyes but when he hits 2-3 throws and starts going he's hard to stop. Big arm, pretty accurate with the football but zero mobility. Also throwing motion is a little longer than ideal.

cookie G
11-18-2012, 10:49 AM
So why no talk of Landry Jones' performance in this game? He might not be a top pick in this April's draft but he could still go mid to late 2nd or maybe the 3rd.

I have no doubt he was one of those Whaley was down there to watch.

Something about him...I just don't know. In a way, like a USC QB, great when everything is set up right, not so good adjusting when things aren't going right.

Extremely productive, and he can get rid of the ball very quickly. I think him getting rid of the ball so quickly led to some of his ints. He doesn't take time to survey the entire field sometimes.

IAG
11-21-2012, 07:53 AM
Bailey is an explosive receiver that I think is a "can't miss guy" from WV.

OpIv37
11-21-2012, 07:58 AM
Visited a friend of mine in Morgantown today nad guess who I saw in Sargasso early dinner time? Doug Whaley. His is with two guys, one I don't know, the other: Wannstedt!

Whaley might be in town to attend the WVU/OU game. And I thought Wannstedt has an off day. I know both Whaley and Wannstedt maintain their home in Pittsburgh. Maybe Wannstedt just got too bored at home?
Wannstadt has an off day every Sunday afternoon.

justasportsfan
11-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Considering where he was as a Sophomore or even last year and how far he has come I dont see much reason to believe he won't be able to develop that further.

If he's any better than Kaepernick coming out of college , I would take a risk.

DraftBoy
11-21-2012, 10:20 AM
If he's any better than Kaepernick coming out of college , I would take a risk.

Far better, imo.